• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Vita Press release - games list, battery life ('3-5 hours'), memory card info

darkside31337 said:
Get what? Sony lost out on tons of money by shipping their system with a hard drive built in and then on top of that not selling their own hard drive only like their direct competitor did.

To be honest they're being pretty smart about this. Sell the unit at a relatively low price while recouping that money on accessories.
This.

The PS3 came with a hard drive standard, standard blue tooth, and usb. You could even use none Sony head sets and controllers. And Gamers didn't give a fuck and continued to buy overpriced Xbox hard drives and play, charge kits, and over priced Wiimotes.

No Sony learned well from their mistakes.

Remember when Sony launched the PS3 with standard internal storage on all SKUs, and totally in a totally nonproprietary medium so you could buy your own laptop hard drive and expand your PS3's storage capacity on day one?

Good times.

Jarmel

Banned
Do we even have a rough estimate for the size of a individual game. If I buy a 32 GB card, I want to be able to atleast fit 15 games on that bitch.

Gravijah

Big One said:
Also, why the fuck wouldn't you download games from the fantastic PSN store?

Maybe Amazon will let you pre-order DD games and give you 10 dollar gaming coupons.

A man can dream, right?

antonz

So it says 3-5 hour battery life when not using network. Is that saying if you play multiplayer etc you can expect worse battery life? If so there goes that COD will be everywhere arguement

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Wait, I just realized, we will need this for PSP games on PSN as well won't we? And the pricey maximum is 32GB???

EviLore said:
Oh, right, Sony is still playing the double priced proprietary flash memory format game. Lovely.

Accessories have always been the way the console manufacturers recoup losses on the console itself. It's why controllers are always so incredibly expensive.

ugh that battery life is TERRIBLE - especially when you consider that's from the manufacturer = super optimistic. With wi-fi and/or power hungry games, you can bet you'll have 2.5 hours or so before you have to recharge.

Interest... waning...

My DS easily gets 10 hours

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
cjelly said:
Some games will require a memory card to save. It says it right in the PDF in the OP.

damn!, I guess I'll go for an 8gb card then, that gets me a few PSP games on there, I've been using a 2gb stick on my PSP, at least I'll be able to have my Tetris Mini on there.

Still curious as to how many games will actually need a separate memory card to save onto.

OldJadedGamer said:
I'm curious about this too as every previous Vita thread has stated you can save to the game cart and the memory card was only needed for downloadable games and totally optional.
You can, and you can also save DLC to the game cart.

googleplex said:
This.

The PS3 came with a hard drive standard, standard blue tooth, and usb. You could even use none Sony head sets and controllers. And Gamers didn't give a fuck and continued to buy overpriced Xbox hard drives and play, charge kits, and over priced Wiimotes.

Gamers did care and have been complaining about it here on GAF for the last six years actually.

Ydahs

The M.O.B said:
2GB would be nearly useless, psp games are already 1.5gb or so. Really a 4gb is useless as well. If you plan on having full games on here, 16gb or 32gb are the only options, anything less is not enough.
The issue is we can't just buy a 32GB SD card for very little.

Hope some 3rd party releases their own compatible memory card.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
FieryBalrog said:
ugh that battery life is TERRIBLE - especially when you consider that's from the manufacturer = super optimistic. With wi-fi and/or power hungry games, you can bet you'll have 2.5 hours or so before you have to recharge.

Interest... waning...

My DS easily gets 10 hours

Don't ever buy a 3DS then, I get about 2 hours out of mine with 3D enabled in OOT.

zoukka

Jarmel said:
Do we even have a rough estimate for the size of a individual game. If I buy a 32 GB card, I want to be able to atleast fit 15 games on that bitch.

George_Takei_LOLs.gif

googleplex said:
This.

This is the worst fucking rationalizing...

What the shit is wrong with you people?!

jackdoe said:
We're in a new world man. Look at the 3DS battery life!
Billychu said:
And the 3DS is using ancient tech. Amazing.
lowrider007 said:
Don't ever buy a 3DS then, I get about 2 hours out of mine with 3D enabled in OOT.

Wa-huh? Um, I have less than 0 interest in the 3DS right now, by 2013 when the 3DS non-fucked edition comes out hopefully that battery life will have improved.

I was on the other hand pretty keen on getting a Vita hence the comment.

<Reference: About Saving Game’s Saved Data>
Some PS Vita software titles may require the use of separately sold memory card for saving game’s saved data while some software titles are capable of saving it on to the PS Vita card itself.

w...wow

maybe you should have thought this through, Sony.

Sarcasm

DoomXploder7 said:
it'll be less because they won't feel the short life was caused by a "useless feature" they don't want.

also what the heck do they mean by "portable charger" they have listed under accessories?

If your in USA I expect you to really not know, I really saw them in person upon moving to TW. But basically this (typically without the solar panels)

1308199691-16.jpg

Deku

Banned
googleplex said:
You can, and you can also save DLC to the game cart.
Unless its just DLC unlock keys, I can't imagine gamecards coming with anything more than the tiny bit of EEPROM that is also available to all DS and 3DS titles, basically enough to save settings and progress for most games.

DS used NAND flash and larger chips if a game needed more room to save.
3DS titles that needs more room saves to the SD card.

FieryBalrog said:
Wa-huh? I have less than 0 interest in the 3DS right now, by 2013 when the 3DS non-fucked edition comes out hopefully that battery life will have improved.
Most likely a Vita revision would probably improve it as well. That's not going to stop me from getting the first though.

linsivvi

jman2050 said:
No seriously, what's going to happen 6 years from now when the next wave of handhelds come out?

Battery tech HAS to breakthrough at some point, right?

Battery tech is breaking through. It's just not advancing as fast as CPU and GPU tech.

Also, when given a choice between having a faster CPU or a longer battery life , manufacturers understandably always go for the faster CPU.

lowrider007 said:

Holy shit. How is that possible? I am assuming level 5 brightness and Wifi? I put several marathon session into OoT and never got less than 3

ShockingAlberto said:

The PS3 lost so much money for Sony, not because it had a sparse lineup for its first year and was too expensive and was still selling at a loss, but because Sony was too consumer-friendly. Don't you see?

The yen to dollar doesn't stray to far with Sony right? So $25 $35 $60 and $100? I'll pick up the 16GB and just deal with transferring via PC.

jackdoe

Gamer @ Heart said:
Holy shit. How is that possible? I am assuming level 5 brightness and Wifi? I put several marathon session into OoT and never got less than 3
Yep. Highest brightness with WiFi still on (too lazy to turn it off haha) will lead to sub 3 hour play times.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
zoukka said:
http://biggator5.net/images/George_Takei_LOLs.gif
Games will be 2-4GB, so you can fit around 15 games in a 32GB card.

Sony has revealed that the new game media for the NGP that will house all upcoming games will be between 2GB and 4GB in size, a portion of which will be reserved for game saves and patches.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
About the battery life, 5 hours max? Is lower than some high end smartphones (that can go half a day at the most). That's no bueno.

ShockingAlberto said:
And you can't even change the goddamn battery.

:|

Yikes.

ShockingAlberto said:

I didn't say that I liked it or approved. Just that after the PS3 openness bit them in the ass, I can understanding the logic in the move.

What's the fuck is wrong with you?

antonz

dwu8991 said:
I'm sure SONY will bundle a 2GB at launch, I don't expect them to be total misers ...
- more -
Included
&#12539;PlayStation®Vita Wi-Fi model ×1
&#12539;USB cable ×1
&#12539;AC adaptor ×1
&#12539;Power cord ×1
&#12539;Printed materials ×1

ReaperXL7

badcrumble said:
Remember when Sony launched the PS3 with standard internal storage on all SKUs, and totally in a totally nonproprietary medium so you could buy your own laptop hard drive and expand your PS3's storage capacity on day one?

Good times.

remember when the PS3 was $600 dollars at launch, and everyone shed many tears over it?

Good times indeed.

jackdoe

BlueTsunami said:
About the battery life, 5 hours max? Is lower than some high end smartphones (that can go half a day at the most). That's no bueno.
That depends on what you're using your smart phone for obviously (and the Vita has differing battery life depending on what you're doing with it). My shit Droid X's battery rapidly drains the minute I start using the internet or an actual game like Plants vs. Zombies.

Top Bottom