• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Vita Press release - games list, battery life ('3-5 hours'), memory card info

Jarmel

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
About the battery life, 5 hours max? Is lower than some high end smartphones (that can go half a day at the most). That's no bueno.

Yikes.

How many smartphones can run games for 5 hours? Any game starts whipping the battery on my iPhone 4 like a scene from Roots.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Gamer @ Heart said:
Holy shit. How is that possible? I am assuming level 5 brightness and Wifi? I put several marathon session into OoT and never got less than 3

Yes I do have the screen set to max as any lower and it's tints to yellow, the brightness settings of the 3DS are not the same as the DSi, my middle setting for the screen on my DSi is equal in brightness to my 3DS at max brightness, I think it's becuase it's harder to light up the stereoscopic screen, not sure entirely.

pramath said:
3DS has the same AND a memory card? :eek:

Really want to see the 3DS haters eat crow now.

I don't think anyone was expecting better battery life than the 3DS.

Those memory card prices though... no thank you!

Deku said:
Unless its just DLC unlock keys, I can't imagine gamecards coming with anything more than the tiny bit of EEPROM that is also available to all DS and 3DS titles, basically enough to save settings and progress for most games.

DS used NAND flash and larger chips if a game needed more room to save.
I remember reading that a certan percentage of the game cart is always reserved for game saves and DLC, reguardless of initial size.

vall03

sorry if this has been asked and answered already but is there an official confirmation that the Vita is region-free?

jackdoe

Jarmel said:
How many smartphones can run games for 5 hours? Any game starts whipping the battery on my iPhone 4 like a scene from Roots.
Yep. Which is why when you're traveling, you generally don't want to start playing phone games (if you don't want to go looking around for an outlet).

Deadly Joker said:
So if your battery dies, you have to send the whole unit in?

What. The. Fuck.
The Apple Way TM. If they charge you $80 for a battery change of course.

Key2001

KeiichiInafune said:
The yen to dollar doesn't stray to far with Sony right? So $25 $35 $60 and $100? I'll pick up the 16GB and just deal with transferring via PC.

Most accessories, games, etc. are cheaper outside of Japan. The RRP of the Vita memory cards are within the MSRP/RRP of other memory, specifically the micro sdhc and micro M2 cards(the ones around the same physical size).

antonz

Chuck Norris said:
Its like we go through this with every system ever made, people bitching about accessory prices and battery life
Not really because only Sony insists on everyone using their brand of memory cards etc. I can go down to the 99 cent store and buy some cheap ass memory card and it will work in the 3DS

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
lowrider007 said:
Don't ever buy a 3DS then, I get about 2 hours out of mine with 3D enabled in OOT.
2 hours ? Your 3DS is defect.

Same avg battery life as a 3DS, but shorter charging time

Guess I'll be waiting a while then
or won't be getting the handheld at all

Deku

Banned
googleplex said:
I remember reading that a certan percentage of the game cart is always reserved for game saves and DLC, reguardless of initial size.

If they are using the same 3D rom tech as the DS/3DS games, that would be impossible without a separate chip to save games.

Currently, all of the 3DS/DS game card do come with a tiny bit of saving capacity on a separate chip, so all games will have save capability.

The change with 3DS is games with DLC and lots of custom stuff like player content have a separate save file on the SD card.

FieryBalrog said:
Wa-huh? Um, I have less than 0 interest in the 3DS right now, by 2013 when the 3DS non-fucked edition comes out hopefully that battery life will have improved.

I was on the other hand pretty keen on getting a Vita hence the comment.

Most people play their DSs and PSPs at home, hooked to power cable. Sony and Nintendo learned that, battery life doesn't make-or-break the handheld anymore.

Jarmel

Banned
Chuck Norris said:
Its like we go through this with every system ever made, people bitching about accessory prices and battery life

I know right?

xbox360japan1313438941.jpg

I remember so many complaints about the battery life on this.

Ken said:
PSV Launch Titles

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3

Ridge Racer (working title)

Uncharted: Golden Abyss

Hot Shots Golf Next

PSV Work in Progress Titles

Everything else.

if i import, i'll get those

bummer about the memory card prices, my wallet :( lol

Stop complaining all of you, the Vita is very cheap for what it is, so they charge us with the Memory Cards, the price for the 32gb Memory Stick is not THAT expensive. And lol at those already bashing it when you were drooling over it a couple of months ago. Ah haters gonna hate.

so i'm hoping only a small amount of game cards will require a mem card. that way in can buy a 8/16 gig and just have it for d loads

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
cw_sasuke said:
2 hours ? Your 3DS is defect.

You serious?, full brightness I'm getting just over 2 hours last time I checked, I charged the system fully first when I bought it.

antonz

Ysiadmihi said:
Why would they charge so much for memory cards? Jesus christ.
Sony makes their own specific brand and forces people to use it on their device so in that way they get to dictate prices. They basically scrapped the bottom of the barrel for anything and everything they could remove from the Vita to reach 249.99 and now they wanna make some cash

Gamer @ Heart said:
Can someone give me a quick refresher on how the battery was used to hack the PSP

By changing the electric circuit on the battery you were able to put PSP into service mode. This was meant to be used in service centers to unbrick your PSP, but hackers used it to make custom firmware, and allow non-signed ISO images of PSP games to run on PSP.

THE-Pink-Dagger said:
Stop complaining all of you, the Vita is very cheap for what it is, so they charge us with the Memory Cards, the price for the 32gb Memory Stick is not THAT expensive. And lol at those already bashing it when you were drooling over it a couple of months ago. Ah haters gonna hate.

People always seem to forget that drooling happens before all the details are final.

Averon

ShockingAlberto said:
And you can't even change the goddamn battery.

:|

Blame rampant PSP piracy for that. I don't expect replaceable HDDs or the use of third party thumb drives in the PS4 either for the same reason.

panty

So only one person said something about a value/family/whatever pack? I bet there will be packs available which include memory cards and they will be cheaper than buying a memory card individually.

Not surprised about the other negativity against Sony/Vita.

Deadly Joker said:

What. The. Fuck.
You send the console to Sony and they change the battery for you and send it back. If that doesn't take a whole lot of time, what's the problem? And how often would you change your batteries, most people never.

googleplex said:
Because thier making little to no money on hardware.

Seriously, how could none of you see this coming?

As was told to me and many others about region locked 3ds , "yes people saw this coming , that doesn't mean we still aren't gonna be upset/ complain about it when it's revealed to be true".

Jarmel said:
...... You're full of shit if you don't see anything wrong with that. Either that or you're wearing a blindfold.
Or he has the money to pay though honestly those prices are too high.
at least scrap the 4g and go 8 16 32 64 with that same price distribution.

Zep

Banned
antonz said:
Sony makes their own specific brand and forces people to use it on their device so in that way they get to dictate prices. They basically scrapped the bottom of the barrel for anything and everything they could remove from the Vita to reach 249.99 and now they wanna make some cash

Isn't that how its always worked? Microsoft and Nintendo are guilty of things just as bad as these memory card prices.

Key2001

Jarmel said:
...... You're full of shit if you don't see anything wrong with that. Either that or you're wearing a blindfold.

He is right when you compare the RRP/MSRP between the two. The RRP/MSRP is around the same or higher for micro sdhc/micro M2 cards than it is for the Vita cards(both cards that are around the same physical size).

Izayoi

Banned
I definitely called the highway robbery on the proprietary memory forever ago and remember many people attacking me for saying that it was going to be priced fucking ridiculously.

Live Free or Die said:
I see nothing wrong with those prices.
What.

Deadly Joker said:

What. The. Fuck.
Do you have any ideal how the removable/Pandora battery fucked over the PSP? Of course the Vita's battery is locked down.lol

PantyPhantom said:
You send the console to Sony and they change the battery for you and send it back. If that doesn't take a whole lot of time, what's the problem? And how often would you change your batteries, most people never.

When I go on long trips, I usually take a spare PSP battery with me. I then get double the battery life.

With Vita I can not do this.

Definitely not getting a Vita if they're going to be pulling this kind of bull (especially since Gravity Daze and Shinobido 2 are the only Vita exclusives that I care about). I don't have the money for this kind of shit anyway.

Amazing how a lot of the Vita's air was sucked away in an evening. Still looks like the best handheld but the management of the thing is embarrassing.

they absolutely needed internal or an included memory card. any hope of a downloadable games network is already handicapped by Sony's negligence.

ShockingAlberto said:
And you can't even change the goddamn battery.

:|

that is not necessarily a bad thing as it allows more flexibly with the hardware design. not good either, but just not strictly negative.

the battery life, and lets be fair and only shave off an hour, is comparable to the PSP/3DS. I'm not one to care that much about battery life problems but it's still pretty awful all around.

Duffyside

Banned
Not very smart to have no internal harddrive space. How do you guys expect people to buy games from your online store? Y'know... the future of the fucking market?

Top Bottom