• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Wolverine Trailer tweeted by Jackman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's how you justify the costume.

From this trailer we can reasonably assume that Laura a fan of the in-universe x-men comics. Her perception of Logan is from those pages. The people that made those comics likely saw that costume at one point, implying that in this timeline he has worn it before.

At the end of the movie, you have Laura in a sort of berserker state, a cornered animal. Logan's the only one who can get her out of it. So he shows up as the costumed Wolverine that is so connected to her very few good memories, and this helps snap her out of it.

Then they fucking murder the shit out of all the bad guys together.

From this trailer we can reasonably assume that Laura a fan of the in-universe x-men comics. Her perception of Logan is from those pages. The people that made those comics likely saw that costume at one point, implying that in this timeline he has worn it before.

At the end of the movie, you have Laura in a sort of berserker state, a cornered animal. Logan's the only one who can get her out of it. So he shows up as the costumed Wolverine that is so connected to her very few good memories, and this helps snap her out of it.

And the bad guy has collected souvenirs from the dead mutants, hence why the costume is there in the first place

Really liking the how the tone the film is seemingly going for. It's giving me a feeling of lost times, and struggles. Hopefully Logan lives up to it's promising trailers.

I dunno, I'm leaning towards the notion that comic is Chekhov's Costume, basically.

It'll end up being her costume. She'll probably get sent back in time somehow (hey Deadpool/Cable) and they'll recast for an older version of Laura and she'll be wearing it then.

Question is whether he'll put it on at some point either for her, or because he needs to in order to survive whatever the final fight is.

You forgot the part where a single tear falls down my cheek

I imagine the suit will be in the movie. Probably, hopefully, not on him. Maybe on display somewhere. But worth noting Mangold also directed The Wolverine, made that suit (for a deleted scene), and the mock up comic book has the exact same suit.

The long sleeves and mostly black design makes me thing the actual costume would look more like this

c2934ec8e168e1a5e7d1b62a8a1c87f5.jpg

JLaw Mystique looks so fucking bad. She looks like Chucky in that picture with the way they did her hair.

Sesha

In my dreams this would lead into an adaption of New X-Men/X-Men: Academy. It wouldn't need to follow the same storylines either, just feature some of the same characters.

Blader

*scratches head*

so this is a continuation of the timeline that everyone was alive in after days of future past... right?

X-Men-Days-Future-Past-Happy-Ending.jpg

^that one?

Yes. Apparently their lives went to shit again just a year later. :lol

edit: huh. According to Collider's footage recap, this movie actually set way later than that:

Logan ends up travelling down to Mexico, and there, he's reunited with a much older, Charles Xavier (once again played by Patrick Stewart), who is in bad shape and living in a deserted building next to a downed water tank. Xavier is assisted by Stephen Merchant as a rather dilapidated-looking Caliban (the character was previously played by Tómas Lemarquis in last year's X-Men: Apocalypse). Through their conversations, we learn that this story takes place 25 years after the last trace of mutants, the living ones having gone into hiding and no new ones having been found. If you know Caliban from the comics, his mutant power is to find mutants similar to Cerebro.

That's gotta put Xavier over 100 years old!

I imagine the suit will be in the movie. Probably, hopefully, not on him. Maybe on display somewhere. But worth noting Mangold also directed The Wolverine, made that suit (for a deleted scene), and the mock up comic book has the exact same suit.

Dunno if it's the exact same suit. The one in the comic is yellow & blue, the one in the suitcase was yellow and black. Plus you only really see the helmet/cowl. Not the design on the torso.

475b53f913a5aaab99be56c61ee69cb3.jpg

All of this can be handwaved pretty neatly by the line of dialog he delivers regarding only 1/4th of the comics shit being "real" though.

Friggz

its coming out in about 6 weeks and i havent really seen much advertising for it. is it too early for that or they just arent doing it.

the movie looks fantastic.

Dunno if it's the exact same suit. The one in the comic is yellow & blue, the one in the suitcase was yellow and black. Plus you only really see the helmet/cowl. Not the design on the torso.

475b53f913a5aaab99be56c61ee69cb3.jpg

All of this can be handwaved pretty neatly by the line of dialog he delivers regarding only 1/4th of the comics shit being "real" though.

The lines on his head are what sort of convince me it's the same. And I think it's black and yellow in the book but with the shading it seems blue.

AACMiCq.jpg

YES.

Part of me is a little disappointed that they went ahead and spoiled Laura's claw reveal in a trailer, but still super-hyped for this. First trailer had a very different vibe, very somber and haunting, this one is more energetic and typical but still has some great emotional moments, and a sense of family.

Weird that they dont post the new poster with this new trailer.
The clock is 17:48 here at the moment. Wouldn't be surprised if my "friend" and his co-workers in other EU countries get the go ahead tomorrow around lunch or for a weekend paper. I'd post it now but I don't want to get into trouble or mess things up for my "friend".

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Nooo wish I didn't watch this

I would've loved to see her show her claws and go crazy in the cinema

strafer

The clock is 17:48 here at the moment. Wouldn't be surprised if my "friend" and his co-workers in other EU countries get the go ahead tomorrow around lunch or for a weekend paper. I'd post it now but I don't want to get into trouble or mess things up for my "friend".

Is it EU exlusive?

Drayco21

I really like this idea. I doubt they'll do it because they seem so adverse to costumed Wolverine, but I'd love to see it.

Man, everyone is really excited to see "The Last of Us" mangled via feature film in this thread.

Sigh...
I doubt James Mangold has played a videogame since Pac-Man.
Wolverine has been featured in these types of stories since the 80s. Kitty Pryde, Jubilee, X-23... This is nothing new.

Lashley

I like this trailer now that I know whos the child.

I mean, it was always obvious

Sigh...
I doubt James Mangold has played a videogame since Pac-Man.
Wolverine has been featured in these types of stories since the 80s. Kitty Pryde, Jubilee, X-23: this is nothing new.

Yep, not sure why Last of Us is considered the only story of this type, just because it's popular.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yep, not sure why Last of Us is considered the only story of this type, just because it's popular.
I feel like the gaming community is a quite insular. And that TLOU was the first exposure to that kind of story for a lot of people. Hence why we get ridiculous hyperbolic threads like "How many people did you show the intro of TLOU" as if people outside of the gaming community haven't seen anything done like that, let alone better, in the various other artistic mediums that exist. And thus, vastly overestimate the impact a film of the game would have on the film medium.

I feel like the gaming community is a quite insular. And that TLOU was the first exposure to that kind of story for a lot of people.

Yeah, a lot of people on GAF have their first real exposure to a lot of frequently-used storytelling ideas and arcs via their hamfisted repurposing from film/novel into game. So their frame of reference starts primarily with the game's twice-baked-potato version of a story rather than the influences that fed it.

Which happens on this side, too. Not everyone can read all the books and watch all the movies, so their frame of reference can be smaller than others. They see a trailer for a movie, and it feels to them like a movie they saw a few years ago, and don't know that 20 years earlier, a movie almost exactly like that already came out and was the main inspiration for whatever director was currently being discussed.

But yeah, since this is a gaming forum, a lot of people are going to knee-jerk point and go "OH SHIT THIS LOOKS LIKE THAT FUCKING GREAT GAME I LOVE"

bengraven

That Gambit reference on the X-men cover. :)

As for those comparing this to a video game that was inspired by a movie that was based on a best selling book, I'm just ignoring them. If you seriously thought they were ripping off a PlayStation game then you make me sad.

Lashley

I feel like the gaming community is a quite insular. And that TLOU was the first exposure to that kind of story for a lot of people. Hence why we get ridiculous hyperbolic threads like "How many people did you show the intro of TLOU" as if people outside of the gaming community haven't seen anything done like that, let alone better, in the various other artistic mediums that exist. And thus, vastly overestimate the impact a film of the game would have on the film medium.
Pretty accurate tbh
Not to me, I knew the character I just didnt knew she was in this movie at first.

Ah, I wish they kept the claw reveal until the film but it might help sell it tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom