• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 'X' trailer [Monolithsoft] shows uncut gameplay

Looks like Xenoblade to me...just with the added mechanic of mechs that can give you power boosts but have fuel limitations? Mechs are probably vital in the fighting the large enemies.

Its weird we have got nothing on the story.

Xenoblade's story was pretty much shounen. Saga was ridiculously complex to the point it was almost a joke. Gears had one of the greatest story in an rpg I have played.

Yeah, I'm kinda worried about their silence regarding the plot. We have no info on any of the cast, and barely a small glimpse of the protagonist.

I'm hoping for 'blade gameplay and 'gears story, but I suspect I won't get that. :/

TheMan

not a fan of xenoblade's combat and this looks too similar. hype has been knocked down a notch, but overall i'm still excited

Matchew

This looks amazing. What type of game do you guy thing this is though? Full single player game like Xenoblade or something like PSO? Really hope this is a single player game.

Instro

If you didn't like Xenoblade it seemed pretty obvious from the get go that the same people would not like this. The very first trailer had Xenoblade style combat and design. Xenoblade was very similar in nature to an mmo, this looks about the same. My actual hope is that they improved upon certain bad elements from the first game.

I don't get it. All of the complaints sound the same as whatever negative I heard about Xenoblade. Did so many people expect the sequel to be the exact opposite game or something?

Games always look better when you have quick cuts and dynamic music

Clips like these remind us its a game where we press buttons! That won't do.

Graphically and aesthetically it looks great. I enjoy the stories and characters that Monolith Soft tends to make.

On the other hand, I strongly disliked the battle system from Xenoblade, and I don't like seeing giant button prompts flashing across the middle of my screen.

Is that a carry over from Xenoblade?
Do they just throw frequent quicktimes at you?
Am I just misunderstanding what I am seeing?

Some posts here are a bit odd. How were people not expecting the combat to be like Xenoblade from the very first reveal trailer? It had almost the exact same UI layout as Xenoblade in that first trailer. And I actually quite like the new UI - very slick. Better than the one Xenoblade had, anyways.

Anyways, just not sure what people were expecting since we knew a year ago the combat was going to be very similar to Xenoblade, lol.

NotLiquid

Loved Xenoblade, confident that I'll love this as well. They could have shown something other than just the battle but hey, I'm down with the mechs and I have faith in Monolith from everything shown so far that it's going to be something really special. Incredibly excited.

Exactly...;) looked really chaotic,like Monster Hunter on speed with mecs.
I wish games like these would interest me, but they just don't.

Gave me a Monster Hunter vibe.
Looking dangerously close to a monster hunter clone mixed with Xenoblades UI there nintendo.

Howsa about you confirm the epic 80+ hour single player story mode so I can stop worrying? Please?
I really don't know why people are still repeating this Monster Hunter thing. The combat looks very much like in Xenoblade. Pretty much the only thing in common with MH was that you were able to dodge some big attacks of the monster (like that rush attack from the big monster). And the online thing of course, but that doesn't really tell much.

Dont know why anyone would be excited by "based on Xenoblade combat", the combat was the worse thing about the game. Tedious and rife with that "offline mmo" feeling.
No. It was very dynamic and fun. You could choose to alternate between the roles of tank, DPS or a healer and you had to choose what to do all the time and link/chain your attacks and keep watch of your party. It wasn't perfect but it was good.

Wii U owners are starving for games, ofc they are going to hype, even if it's crap.
Really now..?

Riposte

i would like an option to turn off battle cries. holy shit, annoying.

just look at the time...

Xenoblade reminds me a lot of FFXIV 1.23 combat, but with FFXIV 1.0 battle regimens (done right). Even if it is ultimately not all the good, it has a certain appeal to me. Xenoblade was always very "MMO"-ish and that goes beyond the combat.

Yonafunu

They should've shown another trailer like the previous 2, or maybe a story trailer. This was not the time or place for something like this, save it for the demo or Developer Direct at E3.

Shinta

Banned
It's going to be awesome, and I'm definitely getting it day 1. The mech combat was pretty crazy.

But that UI is ugly as hell, and the combat is less ambitious and original than I had hoped.

paolo11

I'll add something else though, look at the portraits.

3r3SlbO.png

Doesn't the first, 2nd and third male ones all look to be following some basic similar structure...? Even the Female one, doesn't confirm anything but heh reminds me of Online games that try to do portraits for avatars.

Hmm you're right. I thought at first glance they were anime portraits.

2San

Since when was X shown to have a battle system like Xenoblade? Of course I knew it was a sequel to Xenoblade but I had hoped that they would change the battle system considerably.

Unfortunately they haven't.
It was pretty apparent from the initial footage imo. I also hoped for something else, despite knowing better. They apparently have added a dodge button. That should make combat a lot more engaging, if they ramp up the difficulty to match the new tool.

Riki

So, something that caught my eye. What does the "Side/Middle" "Front/Middle" "Back/Middle" mean there?
Doesn't seem to be in regards to where the enemy is. Maybe it's what you're aiming at?

Exentryk

Personally, I wasn't a fan of Xenoblade's battle system either. It was okay. The hype is obviously from the exploration, world and the story potential.
The next trailer they show needs to be a story trailer.

Some posts here are a bit odd. How were people not expecting the combat to be like Xenoblade from the very first reveal trailer? It had almost the exact same UI as well in that first trailer. And I actually quite like the new UI - very slick. Better than the one Xenoblade had, anyways.

Anyways, just not sure what people were expecting since we knew a year ago the combat was going to be very similar to Xenoblade, lol.

Probably because not all of us have played that game.

Graphically and aesthetically it looks great. I enjoy the stories and characters that Monolith Soft tends to make.

On the other hand, I strongly disliked the battle system from Xenoblade, and I don't like seeing giant button prompts flashing across the middle of my screen.

yes, yes, no.

They're not "press X to win" QTE's though, in Xenoblade they boost a character's morale mostly. Never anything major.

So, something that caught my eye. What does the "Side/Middle" "Front/Middle" "Back/Middle" mean there?
Doesn't seem to be in regards to where the enemy is. Maybe it's what you're aiming at?

Looking to me which section of the enemy you were hitting. So some parts are weaker than others.

The flashing B is a carry over, it happens when you're doing a skill and have to time the button pressing right (keeps morale up). The guy is also doing a lot of skills which may not be immediately apparent to someone who hasn't played Xenoblade.

Looked like an mmo to me. From the UI, to no enemy hit reactions, and lots of scrolling numbers and how long it took to kill things.

chadboban

Some posts here are a bit odd. How were people not expecting the combat to be like Xenoblade from the very first reveal trailer? It had almost the exact same UI layout as Xenoblade in that first trailer. And I actually quite like the new UI - very slick. Better than the one Xenoblade had, anyways.

Do you think we'll be able to customize the UI through the gamepad, like putting the map on it. Could clean it up for the people who think it's too cluttered. I agree with you though, looks like a slicker version of Xenoblade's, which I don't have any problems with.

From the Direct thread:

Most of all the X footage confirmed a very exciting gameplay feature which is seamless mech combat. I can hammer on a small enemy with a giant mech or hack at the feet of a small one. This is by far the coolest part of any upcoming game for me.

I'm even more excited then before. The mech concept give the game a really unique sense of scale. The mech sections in the latter two Xenosaga games seemed so superficial. Yeah I was moving a mech in an environment by the but everything was basically scaled up to me include the giant monster eenemies. It got interesting the few times levels were also navigable outside the mech as you could see tiny doors and items you could come back for outside your mech. That one aspect along with it being directed by Takahashi and continuing Xenoblade's combat system make it my most anticipated game on any platform.

Need a story trailer like yesterday though. Since Takahashi's directing I'm not afraid the game won't have a story.

poweredbykimchi

Neo Member
Personally, I wasn't a fan of Xenoblade's battle system either. It was okay. The hype is obviously from the exploration, world and the story potential.

For me, this is definitely true. Battle system was cool at first having never played an MMO that uses this combat (WoW I think), but after a while, it definitely got bland.

Exploration and plot were Xenoblade's strongest point. Scenery was absolutely gorgeous.

Nilaul

I just want to control the attacks in real time. Not like xenoblade where the game attacked automatically. I want, to have a button where when I press A, the character swings his sword, as many times as I press A. I want to have my character defend when I tell him too. It would make it more engaging. So basically something that would combine button pressed attack/defend in Zelda and xenoblades battlesystem.

jay

Looked like Monster Hunter where each player controls a character in Xenoblade with guns and mechs.

It was pretty apparent from the initial footage imo. I also hoped for something else, despite knowing better. They apparently have added a dodge button. That should make combat a lot more engaging, if they ramp up the difficulty to match the new tool.

They should also make the UI/numbers a bit less prominent.

Dead Man

How dare I not have played Xenoblade :/ Even if somebody had, hoping for changes doesn't seem unreasonable.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I couldn't quite figure out what was happening in the trailer. Looked like mindless hacking of enemies that don't react to the blows, along with familiar anime grunting sounds.

I'm sure it's going to be great but that trailer did nothing for me.

Top Bottom