• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 'X' trailer [Monolithsoft] shows uncut gameplay

Kinsei

Banned
Looks amazing to me. Were people not expecting an enhanced version of the Xenoblade combat system? It has been obvious from the beginning.

I loved it when the main character went "fuck this shit" and jumped in a doll to deal with the smaller enemy.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This looks amazing. What type of game do you guy thing this is though? Full single player game like Xenoblade or something like PSO? Really hope this is a single player game.

I'm guessing it's structured more like PSO with Xenoblade's gameplay/world. But that's just based on what they've shown, hard to judge anything based on what they haven't shown.

Lot of people are making assumptions that Takahashi = massive story driven RPG, but I don't think that's necessarily true. Especially if Miyamoto got his grip on the game or something.

Griss

Surprised they showed a straight uncut video like that. Didn't play well at all.

Also disappointed that the combat appears to be taken straight from Xenoblade, right down to having to time the 'B Button' press when the circle contracts. I wasn't a huge fan of Xenoblade's combat, although the bulk of my complaints came from enemies with no AI that didn't force you to mix it up. So if they can increase AI it could work. That looked like a classically dull Xenoblade fight, though.

Still, my hype remains undiminished. I have total faith in Monolith.

espher

On the other hand, I strongly disliked the battle system from Xenoblade, and I don't like seeing giant button prompts flashing across the middle of my screen.

Is that a carry over from Xenoblade?
Do they just throw frequent quicktimes at you?
Am I just misunderstanding what I am seeing?

The first quoted paragraph made me think you had played it, but confusion over the prompts almost feels like you didn't, so idk exactly what we're asking, but the prompts are, I guess, little QTEs that sometimes pop up for various things in Xenoblade (warning allies so they can dodge, reviving, etc). It just adds a little bit to combat. It didn't feel as intrusive in Xenoblade, though, but I think the UI is just... way too busy in this one.

Graphically and aesthetically it looks great. I enjoy the stories and characters that Monolith Soft tends to make.

On the other hand, I strongly disliked the battle system from Xenoblade, and I don't like seeing giant button prompts flashing across the middle of my screen.

Is that a carry over from Xenoblade?
Do they just throw frequent quicktimes at you?

Am I just misunderstanding what I am seeing?

Yes.

Riki

I just want to control the attacks in real time. Not like xenoblade where the game attacked automatically. I want, to have a button where when I press A, the character swings his sword, as many times as I press A. I want to have my character defend when I tell him too. It would make it more engaging. So basically something that would combine button pressed attack/defend in Zelda and xenoblades battlesystem.

That sounds really really bad for an RPG like this.

JimboJones

So, something that caught my eye. What does the "Side/Middle" "Front/Middle" "Back/Middle" mean there?
Doesn't seem to be in regards to where the enemy is. Maybe it's what you're aiming at?

Well some attacks in Xenoblade gave bonus damage depending where you hit the enemy like from the side or behind the enemy. Could be an expansion of that?

Zero148

looks good. I love Nintendo's aproach to just show tons of actual gameplay in their trailers instead of doing cinematic trailers, or in this case just gameplay.

Riki

Well some attacks in Xenoblade gave bonus damage depending where you hit the enemy like from the side or behind the enemy. Could be an expansion of that?

It wasn't based on the skill used, though. It seems to be completely where you were hitting.

Shinta

Banned
The character designs don't seem particularly memorable either. I'm not sure if you can design your own or not.

Levyne

Banned
Looks like a great foundation, just wish the enemy was a bit more aggressive. A lot of just...shooting at it. But it was just serving as a punching bag role for the footage so I can deal with it.

wrowa

Looks like Xenoblade's combat. Which is not a bad thing as I love Xenoblade, but I wished they would have shown something a little more exciting. I finally want to know what this is actually about; come on, it's been a year since the first announcement! At least tell us if it's a single-player RPG or focused on online.

So i guess a 4 Player online mode was just confirmed via this gameplay video?

I think that was just AI characters, no? If you look at the very beginning of the video when they are are running up to the monsters, the other 3 people stop right behind the main character all at the same time. So I'm pretty sure it's not human characters playing in that battle. Also after that first battle, the way the other characters ran back to their mech looked very much like it was programmed for that to happen.

Soma

I can't see the game behind the UI.

Right? It's a mess as it is right now:

ibzhOVP2vNS6I1.jpg

There are much better ways to send visual information without having half of what is honestly a good looking game hidden behind numbers and bars.

KoopaTheCasual

When Iwata mentioned Xenoblade, I misheard him and thought he said Xenobreak. But now I actually really like that name. I hope this new game uses, and calls the mechs, Breakers.

Xenobreak

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, the higher fidelity just makes it look kind of dumb. The relatively poor animation and lack of reactions/connectivity in the hits just stand out even more the better the overall visuals get.

With that said, I wasn't a huge fan of Xenoblade's combat. I'm still looking forward to X, but this was not an exciting piece of content to show. Barely looked like the monsters were fighting back.

Was definitely hoping for something with more of an action RPG where your hits actually feel like they are connecting

No great succeeded here

Phediuk

I am baffled by the hype around this game. That footage looked like any number of Korean MMOs except that it's offline. Wait around until your guys' meters fill up so they attack the brain-dead enemies who don't react to any of your hit, and just keep waiting until they drop dead.

Someone explain the appeal of this game to me because I'm not seeing it. I admit to not caring about JRPGs in general, but the fever pitch around this game aroused my curiosity anyway. This is hands-down the least impressive Wii U exclusive Nintendo has currently announced, unless there's some layer here I'm missing. Is there some interesting story premise or something? I'm assuming there's some kind of hook that just wasn't shown in that footage.Someone set the record straight for me.

Shinta

Banned
The UI is actually not very big. The rough parts are the numbers on the enemies and the font for the numbers. And the giant letters flashing on the screen and the giant "SUCCESSFUL" on the screen. There has to be a better way.

The UI on the bottom and top left is pretty small honestly. I just don't like the design for it.

HeelPower

Nothing particularly striking about the game to be honest.It looks like an MMO.

I'll settle for FF14 on PS4. Not worth buying a freaking Wii U.

Though I appreciate the expansive environments they consistently showed off.Good job on that.

Ricky 7

The combat looked okay, it's better than Xenoblade so that's a step up. I wish they talked more about the game, we still don't know much.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Yes! Looks like a worthy sequel to Xenoblade

The character designs don't seem particularly memorable either. I'm not sure if you can design your own or not.

You couldn't even see them properly with the numbers flying around and the camera panned out like that, so what's the point of saying they ain't memorable? We haven't seen the cast either.

Sophia

Looks like Height is a factor in skill usage now. Each ability has two indicators. The first one reads "Front" "Side" or "Back", and the second one appears to read "Low" "Middle" or "High"

Riki

I am baffled by the hype around this game. That footage looked like any number of Korean MMOs except that it's offline. Wait around until your guys' meters fill up so they attack the brain-dead enemies who don't react to any of your hit, and just keep waiting until they drop dead.

Someone explain the appeal of this game to me because I'm not seeing it. I admit to not caring about JRPGs in general, but the fever pitch around this game aroused my curiosity anyway. This is hands-down the least impressive Wii U exclusive Nintendo has currently announced, unless there's some layer here I'm missing. Is there some interesting story premise or something? I'm assuming there's some kind of hook that just wasn't shown in that footage.Someone set the record straight for me.

Seriously, where do you people get this stuff...
Play Xenoblade, then come back to us.

Satch

Banned
Right? It's a mess as it is right now:

There are much better ways to send visual information without having half of what is honestly a good looking game hidden behind numbers and bars.

hell i dont even mind the bars, even though i think they could maybe streamline the visuals a bit

but the numbers drowning the screen are just an abysmal design choice no matter how you slice it. i cant imagine anybody being able to justify that decision.

Daingurse

Seeing that gameplay didn't do anything for me. However, game looks good, and I'd probably enjoy it if I played it.

Seriously, where do you people get this stuff...
Play Xenoblade, then come back to us.

Xenoblade combat reminded me of an MMO. Felt kinda like hotbar combat, with position based attacks and cooldowns. Hell, it had auto attacking too.

Hedja

I just want them to show a better quest system and hopefully have a good second-half story. Something Xenoblade was extremely weak at.

Those numbers are really annoying, hopefully it's just test footage. Looks like a 2015 game, probably coming out in 2016 in Europe. Kind of annoying.

I don't see where the disappointment is coming from. We've known how it played since the reveal trailer. After rewatching it, it actually shows how much more depth the mech combat has.

On another note, am I seeing a dodge move or am I tripping? Really that can open up the battle system even more.

Aeana

The fever pitch comes from it being a successor to Xenoblade, a game that lots of people like. It's something you'd have to play to understand.

Top Bottom