• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newly Ascended to PC Master Race

Yes, I have ascended... Good to be here (it's been like 4 days) It's a modest system, nothing outlandish, especially at current market prices. I'd have had to sell both my kidneys to get anything higher end.

What games are you guys playing or what games should I play? I'm currently hooked on Lost Ark, I have Tarkov and Valorant... but avoiding those ATM since Razer's 2.4hz thing is a bit disappointing. Whenever I move around in either Tarkov or Valorant I get stuck going in a direction and it seems to happen randomly. I can only get out of it when I hit the same direction to cancel it out. So I am avoiding FPS games before I get me a USB 2.0 extension so its closer to my wireless RGB (lol) keyboard and mouse. Apparently USB 3.0 devices or shit can fuck with it... who the F doesn't have USB 3.0 devices, ports, dongles? Also avoiding cause I am currently TERRIBLE on mouse + keyboard for FPS rn... it's a twitchy mess rn.

Anyway, any game suggestions or general PC pointers would be appreciated. Oh and if you have to know, it's a NZXT H1 set up, 10700K w/3060ti... no, I did not build it myself lol

EDIT: 32 GB of ram, thought that might help if I move to PC for Blender (still learning) and video stuff.

UPDATE: I replaced the AIO fan with a Noctua fan. It's at least 50% quieter now and fair bit cooler. I was so nervous when I was doing this, apparently very simple, upgrade LOL

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
You should check out this new game called Elden Ring. I hear it's awesome on PC.

Tom Cruise Laughing GIF by JustViral

In all seriousness though, congrats, hope you get some baller gaming experiences with the new rig.

Topher

Gold Member
Anyway, any game suggestions or general PC pointers would be appreciated. Oh and if you have to know, it's a NZXT H1 set up, 10700K w/3060ti... no, I did not build it myself lol

These days there is certainly no shame in that. Building a PC is enormously expensive. In my house, we had to do a bit of rationing computer parts and buying a prebuilt and a laptop. I went from a 2080 Super PC I built myself to a 3060 laptop. My oldest son got a 3060 ti prebuilt much like yours, and my youngest son spent his own money on everything but the GPU so I gave him my 2080 Super. I sold the other parts on ebay to handle the rest of the costs.

These days you do what you gotta do. Congrats on your purchase!

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Yes, I have ascended... Good to be here (it's been like 4 days) It's a modest system, nothing outlandish, especially at current market prices. I'd have had to sell both my kidneys to anything higher end.

What games are you guys playing or what games should I play? I'm currently hooked on Lost Ark, I have Tarkov and Valorant... but avoiding those ATM since Razer's 2.4hz thing is a bit disappointing. Whenever I move around in either Tarkov or Valorant I get stuck going in a direction and it seems to happen randomly. I can only get out of it when I hit the same direction to cancel it out. So I am avoiding FPS games before I get me a USB 2.0 extension so its closer to my wireless RGB (lol) keyboard and mouse. Apparently USB 3.0 devices or shit can fuck with it... who the F doesn't have USB 3.0 devices, ports, dongles? Also avoiding cause I am currently TERRIBLE on mouse + keyboard for FPS rn... it's a twitchy mess rn.

EDIT: 32 GB of ram, thought that might help if move to PC for Blender (still learning) and video stuff.
Total War of course !

GIF1.jpg
cannon_fire.jpg
Immortan_Grom.gif
GIF_3.gif
TopSmall.jpg
GIF2.jpg

You should check out this new game called Elden Ring. I hear it's awesome on PC.

Tom Cruise Laughing GIF by JustViral

In all seriousness though, congrats, hope you get some baller gaming experiences with the new rig.
Actually it is awesome on pc. Especially using a 3060ti . Have been running it flawless since launch. Game of the GEN!!!!

ryzen 3600, 16gb ddr4 , 3060ti ftw3 , nvm2 ssd boot, no hitching or frame issues. Buddy is playing Elden Ring on a gaming laptop of all things and has had no issues outside of heat.
Shit my 3060ti is never near max load on this game, it hovers around 65%. constant 60fps, then again i am using 1080p max settings, so maybe thats why? Still highly playable. People who have issues need to turn down settings or lower the res or something.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Congrats! That PC should play games until a ps6 is released in 2030.

Elden ring needs optimization but I was able to play it at 1440p 30 fps maxed out on my old ass FX 6300 8gb ram and Rx 580 rig.

Get controller companion if you want to control your PC from your couch with a pad. Also lossless scalling to apply Nvidia NIS and FSR in all games where DLSS is not an option.

Last edited:
Actually it is awesome on pc. Especially using a 3060ti . Have been running it flawless since launch. Game of the GEN!!!!

ryzen 3600, 16gb ddr4 , 3060ti ftw3 , nvm2 ssd boot, no hitching or frame issues. Buddy is playing Elden Ring on a gaming laptop of all things and has had no issues outside of heat.
Shit my 3060ti is never near max load on this game, it hovers around 65%. constant 60fps, then again i am using 1080p max settings, so maybe thats why? Still highly playable. People who have issues need to turn down settings or lower the res or something.
That's a sweet looking version of the 3060ti!

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Bunch of tips for buying games.

Buying Steam keys
  1. You can buy keys for Steam games via 3rd party store sellers. Sometimes they offer deals that Steam doesn't offer such as subscriptions and bundle deals, or just simply cheaper price.
  2. Be aware of scam stores who will try to sell you keys that are obtained illegally. There are various cases where the publishers deactivate those stolen keys
  3. You can use isthereanydeal.com to compare the price for the games you want across legitimate key sellers
  4. Some of the reliable key sellers are humble bundle, indiegala, fanatical, greenmangaming
  5. You can install Augmented Steam extension if you are browsing Steam on Google Chrome. This adds features and enhance your browsing experience
Utilizing SteamDB
  1. SteamDB is a useful website containing database of everything for Steam. You can use that to check games' price history and much more
Steam Sales & Events
  1. Steam often host many smaller events in between their seasonal major events like Summer Sales or Winter Sales. These events often contain either discounts or demos, or both, and can be organized by either Valve themselves or organized by other organizations/publishers. You can refer here to check all the past events.
  2. For Valve's own events (such as Summer Sale), you can consult this page to find their possible dates.
  3. Valve's own events often comprise of 2 main types: one which promote certain game genres (eg Open World Sale, JRPG Sale), another which promote Steam features such as the current Let's Remote PLAY Together! which promote games with remote play feature
  4. You can expect a Steam digital event whenever there's a game award events or conferences, such as The Golden Joystick Awards, E3 Showcase, Summer Game Fest, PC Gaming Show, New Game+ Expo and more. There are even smaller events which you might not heard of or one-time event, such as MGN Indie Game Carnival, or Indie Celebration Competition
  5. There are also events which celebrate games for various other reasons such as games made in Germany, Black Voices in Gaming
  6. There's also a new seasonal events 'Steam Next Fest', which contain bunch of game demos for upcoming games, as well as interviews and live streams. Basically an event to find upcoming titles that might be buried under the biggest AAA titles
Enhancing Your Experience
  1. Consult the reviews (or at least the aggregated one) before you buy the game
  2. You can customize your game control with SteamInput or even add additional controller features that ain't supported natively, like gyro into any FPS games.
  3. Feel free to refund your games, even if you dislike it. Just don't abuse it

fart town usa

Gold Member

Yea, I have no skin in the game for the PC debate, just couldn't pass up the opportunity for a timely joke.

I am curious how my laptop would handle a "modern" game. It's a Dell Precision M4800, I really don't know too much about PC specs but this thing is beast considering how old it is, I think it's like a decade old and was like a $3k laptop when it was considered new. Has an SSD too. I got it for $500 refurbished on Newegg. If you don't mind, maybe give a bit of feedback on my specs? Seems like you know quite a bit about this stuff.

B7ipDOv.png

Last edited:
Bunch of tips for buying games.

Buying Steam keys
  1. You can buy keys for Steam games via 3rd party store sellers. Sometimes they offer deals that Steam doesn't offer such as subscriptions and bundle deals, or just simply cheaper price.
  2. Be aware of scam stores who will try to sell you keys that are obtained illegally. There are various cases where the publishers deactivate those stolen keys
  3. You can use isthereanydeal.com to compare the price for the games you want across legitimate key sellers
  4. Some of the reliable key sellers are humble bundle, indiegala, fanatical, greenmangaming
  5. You can install Augmented Steam extension if you are browsing Steam on Google Chrome. This adds features and enhance your browsing experience
Utilizing SteamDB
  1. SteamDB is a useful website containing database of everything for Steam. You can use that to check games' price history and much more
Steam Sales & Events
  1. Steam often host many smaller events in between their seasonal major events like Summer Sales or Winter Sales. These events often contain either discounts or demos, or both, and can be organized by either Valve themselves or organized by other organizations/publishers. You can refer here to check all the past events.
  2. For Valve's own events (such as Summer Sale), you can consult this page to find their possible dates.
  3. Valve's own events often comprise of 2 main types: one which promote certain game genres (eg Open World Sale, JRPG Sale), another which promote Steam features such as the current Let's Remote PLAY Together! which promote games with remote play feature
  4. You can expect a Steam digital event whenever there's a game award events or conferences, such as The Golden Joystick Awards, E3 Showcase, Summer Game Fest, PC Gaming Show, New Game+ Expo and more. There are even smaller events which you might not heard of or one-time event, such as MGN Indie Game Carnival, or Indie Celebration Competition
  5. There are also events which celebrate games for various other reasons such as games made in Germany, Black Voices in Gaming
  6. There's also a new seasonal events 'Steam Next Fest', which contain bunch of game demos for upcoming games, as well as interviews and live streams. Basically an event to find upcoming titles that might be buried under the biggest AAA titles
Enhancing Your Experience
  1. Consult the reviews (or at least the aggregated one) before you buy the game
  2. You can customize your game control with SteamInput or even add additional controller features that ain't supported natively, like gyro into any FPS games.
  3. Feel free to refund your games, even if you dislike it. Just don't abuse it
That's a list! Thanks man, I'll definitely be busy going thru this list I appreciate it!

Nickolaidas

Welcome to the club. Make sure you visit CDKeys.com. I recently bought Elden Ring for $41 and yesterday bought Ghostwire Tokyo for $49.

Screenshot-2022-03-01-151853.png

Screenshot-2022-03-01-152608.png
CD Keys? Pfft!

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
That's a list! Thanks man, I'll definitely be busy going thru this list I appreciate it!

I also recommend downloading the GeForce Experience app so you can check for new GPU driver easily. These driver provides optimization and improvement such as addition of DLSS for AAA games.

Topher

Gold Member
Yea, I have no skin in the game for the PC debate, just couldn't pass up the opportunity for a timely joke.

I am curious how my laptop would handle a "modern" game. It's a Dell Precision M4800, I really don't know too much about PC specs but this thing is beast considering how old it is, I think it's like a decade old and was like a $3k laptop when it was considered new. Has an SSD too. I got it for $500 refurbished on Newegg. If you don't mind, maybe give a bit of feedback on my specs? Seems like you know quite a bit about this stuff.

B7ipDOv.png

That's not a gaming GPU so it wasn't designed for game at the time much less now. It would probably run some older game like Tomb Raider ok at lower resolutions and settings.

Top Bottom