• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newly Ascended to PC Master Race

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Total War of course !

GIF1.jpg
cannon_fire.jpg
Immortan_Grom.gif
GIF_3.gif
TopSmall.jpg
GIF2.jpg
Total war 3 is on game pass fyi

Filben

Not gaming related: Install a clipboard capture tool like CLCL: https://www.nakka.com/soft/clcl/index_eng.html
It's an absolutely godsend utility; never accidentally lose or overwrite something when copying. That tools keeps up as many entries as your RAM allow but default is 10 (I use 30).

If you want a fast-paced arena shooter, try out Splitgate. It's F2P and while its design of characters are pretty bad and there aren't that many maps yet, it has an amazing feel to it and hasn't a shitty toxic community like so many others games.

If you want a more hardcore online shooter, try out Hunt: Showdown.

Also check out indie games like Deathtrash:

Check out latest Sony PC games such as Days Gone, Horizon Zero Dawn or God of War if you haven't played them

Check out https://www.gog.com/ for old game classics (and some recent ones) that run pretty well now on modern systems.

If you like RTS games, check out Age of Empires II Definitive Edition.

If you like city builders, try the Anno series (1404 and 1800 being the absolute best ones out there). Also check out Frostpunk; never experienced such a depressing city management/builder.

Get Sunset Overdrive. Developed by Insomniac games and never appeared on anything else but Xbox and PC; and it never got properly patched for Xbox One X, has bad aliasing and is very low res on the X. Playing it on PC is such a vastly different experience.

If you're into cRPGs, get Disco Elysium (one the most unique and remarkable, true RPG of all time) and Planescape Torment (brilliant story, exceptional world building and characters).

If you're into RPGs in general and never played Fallout: New Vegas (or want to re-visit the game), make sure to mod the game. It takes a while, but is real easy and worth the time. Just follow this guide.

If you like co-op objective-focused PVE, check out Deep Rock Galactic.

If you're into racing games, try out Dirt 2.0 and Assetto Corsa Competizione.

For turn-based, sandbox strategy games, Battle Brothers.

For grand-strategy games Crusader Kings.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
If you own a PC and don't have Factorio and Satisfactory both installed at all times, I offer you my condolences.

GreatnessRD

Completely disagree here.

The main advantage to the 3090 is the VRAM. You ALWAYS want more VRAM on the GPU as it will be extremely capable of bandwidth issues as more textures and shaders become a thing. You can compile and execute those shaders and the texture memory is absolutely going to be a plus. I would never buy a GPU that has less than 16G of VRAM.
Then you're delusional, no offense. Regular gamers (For the most part, and pre-stimmy) aren't buying 3090s and Titan Class cards. Either you're using it to work or to flex 9 out of those 10 times. Joey Random who skipped the last two generations of cards saving up for his big purchase which was the 3090.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Then you're delusional, no offense.
Wait. I just gave objectively accurate statements about the 3090 and it's VRAM allowing a big advantage concerning bandwidth. How is that FACT delusional? I never said that game companies are using all of that VRAM nor did I say that the vast majority of PC owners have one.

Regular gamers (For the most part, and pre-stimmy) aren't buying 3090s and Titan Class cards.
I never said they were. That doesn't mean that the 24G of VRAM the 3090 suddenly does NOT exist as an option for people purchasing high end GPUs.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Wait. I just gave objectively accurate statements about the 3090 and it's VRAM allowing a big advantage concerning bandwidth. How is that FACT delusional? I never said that game companies are using all of that VRAM nor did I say that the vast majority of PC owners have one.

I never said they were. That doesn't mean that the 24G of VRAM the 3090 suddenly does NOT exist as an option for people purchasing high end GPUs.
I said the people who are buying those cards normally normally do it to flex, work or benchmark. And you said you disagreed. That's why I said you were delusional.

Wasn't saying you weren't correct on the spec sheet of the 3090. And wasn't disputing that the option didn't exist for people to purchase this enthusiast class GPU. I said it isn't the norm for regular users which is why it was a flex card. Always been that way and most likely will continue to be, lol.

They dictate what he can play though. Upgrading your gpu every gen is ridiculous.
You're not forced to, anyway.

And iN what way is it different from, say, buying a new console outright?

You can buy a cpu every 10 years (ok, maybe not 10 years, let's say 5, but you get the point) and upgrade your gpu once a console gen and still play at comparable / better settings, if we're talking mid to higher end components.

And if you go the cheaper route, you can build a great budget gaming pc that will still be upgradable in the future and offer much more.

It's not like everyone buys a new top tier gpu every time they're released. Like I do xD

Last edited:

recursive

I have finally reascended this morning. Been sitting on my 2 1080tis waiting for a chance to upgrade. Snagged a rtx 3080ti from evga direct this morning. Still in stock if my other pc brethren are interested.

I have finally reascended this morning. Been sitting on my 2 1080tis waiting for a chance to upgrade. Snagged a rtx 3080ti from evga direct this morning. Still in stock if my other pc brethren are interested.

Congratulations man!

My cousin's friend had been on the waiting list for a 3090 for a year... and it finally happened a few weeks ago! It seems like maybe things are starting to turn around? 🤞

Top Bottom