• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newly discovered species of bacteria Have Eaten Giant Gulf Oil Plume, New Study Says

Status
Not open for further replies.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
ToxicAdam said:
Be careful Hazen! If you inform GAF about this they will label you a monster that doesn't care about the environment or the human race!
You do know that there is a difference (with regard to environmental sustainability) between large amounts of oil entering the ocean in a span of weeks/months and the same amount entering in a span of a year, right? Also, don't forget that spills lead to very concentrated plumes of oil, whereas normal seepage does not usually create the same concentrations.

zoukka

Hey that's like super. No harm done right :)

medium_Dallas.jpg

Kunan

iamaustrian said:
the problem isn't the oil.
it's the thousands of tons of dispersant in the water. there are no bacterias for that mess.
I haven't been following the story for awhile. BP actually dumped chemicals in the water in a hope for a faster dispersal of the natural shit they clogged the place with?

TheWiicast said:
No. No. No. This is just WAY too convenient. Microbes? Bacteria? or SUPER GOVERNMENT NANO BOTS? (likely.)
Makes Kirk finding Spock in the cave that much more plausible eh.

g35twinturbo said:
:lol

I'm the only one who likes this movie.
me too :lol , good for a laugh

TheWiicast said:
No. No. No. This is just WAY too convenient. Microbes? Bacteria? or SUPER GOVERNMENT NANO BOTS? (likely.)

This is just stage one of the super government nano bot 3 stage plan.

Stage 1: Harvest hydrocarbons from the gulf of mexico
Stage 2: Harvest hemoglobin from the blood of humans
Stage 3: Combine to form a spaceship to leave this planet

Ventrue

Teddman said:
Bingo. The people who carry out studies like these are under tremendous pressure to justify the millions in funding they receive. Producing a headline-grabbing finding is almost mandatory.

My point is, be more skeptical of stuff like this in general.

Great. If I agree with scientific news, it's true. If I don't, it's not. Guess we don't need science at all; just go with your gut.

jason10mm

Gold Member
So will Brad Pitt reduce his death sentence on BP execs to just 15 years hard labor?

But seriously, what else did anyone expect to happen? Crude oil is a naturally occurring substance on the planet. Something can always utilize it. No different than if 5 million pounds of pot got dumped somewhere and hippies appeared and multiplied to smoke it.

ToxicAdam

quadriplegicjon said:
You do know that there is a difference (with regard to environmental sustainability) between large amounts of oil entering the ocean in a span of weeks/months and the same amount entering in a span of a year, right? Also, don't forget that spills lead to very concentrated plumes of oil, whereas normal seepage does not usually create the same concentrations.

Yes, I understand. That was merely a callback to my Gulf Oil Spill thread where a handful of GAF users jumped on me when I brought it up. In context, it was at a time when the spill was only being reported as 5000/gal a day and the thread was saying it was the end of the Gulf as we know it.

Mr. Pointy said:
If they can get those bacteria to shit petrol, we'll all be driving V8s for the next 1000 years.

They're trying.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article4133668.ece

Pimpwerx

ToxicAdam said:
Be careful Hazen! If you inform GAF about this they will label you a monster that doesn't care about the environment or the human race!
What was the official flowrate on the pipe again? That's right, never got that. Now the oil has disappeared, and BP has shifted their ad campaign over to "finding the oil" mode for the last month now. I'm sure the two are completely unrelated. I'm sure.... PEACE.

HeySeuss

I'm going to go with the skeptical crowd. This is a little too timely for me. BP is running ads saying they are encouraging local businesses to accept their buyouts and agree to not sue.

If they can have government science advisors or White House advisors to use this story to downplay the damage to the ecosystem, then BP could use this to reduce payouts to the local businesses if they can say that the damage was less than initially thought.

We are talking about billions of dollars BP could potentially save themselves. So I don't think its that much of a stretch that this could be a fabricated story. Especially if BP treats this microbe area as either a moving cloud that you can't find, or as a haz-mat area where they wouldn't allow access to other scientists to prove their story.

It's all about money, power, and control.

Pimpwerx

Drkirby said:
Well, this is the kind of thing other Scientists will go out and investigate. I mean, you announce a new oil eating bacteria that was able to get rid of supposedly 50% of the Oil spill, Biologists and Biotech companies are both going to want this thing now. Its something that people would think "I don't know how, but there must be a way to make a ton of money with"

So I would hope these people would be smart enough to come up with a reason that didn't get more Scientists to come and check things out if they were making up data.
Much like how the flowrate never got a hard number, and massive plumes of oil were only observed and monitored by a few ships (the Thomas Jefferson being one of them) there aren't limitless resources for this stuff. Access to the area was limited by the Coast Guard as well.

Consider that the leak has only been shut for what, a month? In one month, microbes consumed dozens of Exxon Valdezes worth of oil...yeah fucking right. I can't wait for this shit to be revised when the health effects start cropping up in coming decades. By then, BP will have washed their hands of it, and would have already paid out the $10B or whatever stupid cap they set.

I'm not surprised people will buy this crap. I saw oil off Ft. Lauderdale beach with my own two eyes, and it never made the news. The tar balls mysteriously washing up en-mass on Cocoa Beach (near Cape Canaveral) were somehow explained away as being from another source. Yeah...it's just coincidental that Key West and Cape Canaveral started seeing tar washing up months after the big spill. I'm sure they were just from a natural seep. There's a lot of covering-up going on here, and it's not surprising. From Day1, the government has been working with BP to minimize the PR damage from this event. Why should it be any different now that both are close to relieving themselves of this burden? PEACE.

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
Weird, I had suggested creating oil-eating bacteria to solve this oil spill mess in a conversation I had with my brother some months ago. Though, I admitted at the time that it was probably unfeasible. Guess it's not unfeasible for mother nature! :lol

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
This doesn't sound that far-fetched when you consider something like the Lenski Experiment. What's troubling is what could happen if these microbes survive in the long term and manage to seep into the actual oil deposits in the Gulf and elsewhere. I guess that would certainly accelerate peak oil.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The article doesn't seem to acknowledge that this research receives funding from an institute that in turn receives a sizable grant from BP. Looks like almost all of its funding is from BP:

http://newscenter.lbl.gov/news-releases/2010/08/24/deepwater-oil-plume-microbes/

Hazen, who has studied numerous oil-spill sites in the past, is the leader of the Ecology Department and Center for Environmental Biotechnology at Berkeley Lab’s Earth Sciences Division. He conducted this research under an existing grant he holds with the Energy Biosciences Institute (EBI) to study microbial enhanced hydrocarbon recovery. EBI is a partnership led by the University of California (UC) Berkeley and including Berkeley Lab and the University of Illinois that is funded by a $500 million, 10-year grant from BP.

Also, doesn't really address still widespread reports of marine wildlife reacting to hypoxic conditions in the water.

ToxicAdam

This is an article from April 30th of this year:

At this point it's unclear how much of an environmental threat oil spreading from the BP spill will cause, but the federal government is mobilizing thousands of workers to prepare for the worst. They have a potential ally: microbes that have evolved an ability to break down oil that seeps from the ocean bottom. It gets devoured by a variety of bacteria, which eat it by chemically transforming its compounds into useful cellular constituents. "If it wasn't for the natural ability of bacteria to eat oil we would all be knee-deep in the stuff," says bioremediation expert Ken Lee of the Bedford Institute of Oceanography in Nova Scotia, Canada.

So could bugs help cleanse the gulf? A number of companies have tried to create bacteria that could break down oil on demand, but Lee and colleague Albert Venosa of the Environmental Protection Agency say that experiments have shown that novel bacteria, even if they show promise in the lab, cannot compete with bacteria already living on beaches and marshes. Experiments have shown that adding nutrients like nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium to the beaches can speed up the ability of natural bacteria to break down oil. "What would've taken 5 or 6 years to accomplish can occur in a single summer," says Lee.

http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/2010/04/can-microbes-save-the-gulf-beach.html

More reading about biodegradation here: http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/...ally-need-to-clean-up-the-gulf-biodegradation

Plumbob

ToxicAdam said:

It's okay because nature does something similar!
animals_oil_spill_01.jpg

Ponn

Banned
This would be nice and all but oh god, Rush Limbaugh would be right and my friend that regurgitates all his bile...just...oh god...

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I dont understand how people can call complete bullshit on this. Are some of you really that unaware of how resilient and adaptable the earth is? It's faced extinction level events and come right back like a champ.
People make the common mistake of thinking environmentalism is about saving the earth. It isn't, it's about saving ourselves. The earth will be fine. We won't.

raphier

Banned
siddx said:
I dont understand how people can call complete bullshit on this. Are some of you really that unaware of how resilient and adaptable the earth is? It's faced extinction level events and come right back like a champ.
People make the common mistake of thinking environmentalism is about saving the earth. It isn't, it's about saving ourselves. The earth will be fine. We won't.
Exactly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eScDfYzMEEw

Raistlin

nib95 said:
Wow, that's pretty amazing. Nature heals itself yet again.

While I agree it's amazing, this was actually expected

Different microbes feasting on oceanic Carbon (oil) is the norm, and it has been for millions and millions of years. Yearly, there are Exxon Valdez amounts of oil that naturally seep into the gulf from fissures in the ocean floor. It's processed by bacteria before it gets anywhere near the surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom