• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gulf Of Mexico Oil Disaster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

Wii said:
Ahahahahaha

BP board game foreshadows Gulf disaster
4621376.jpg

http://fieldnotes.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...oard-game-foreshadows-gulf-disaster?Gt1=43001

i weep for journalism

Tntnnbltn

Wii said:
gcubed said:
i weep for journalism

This just in:

Parker Brothers board game foreshadows US tax hike

Monopoly was released in the early 1930s and allows up to eight players to buy properties and develop housing estates. The player left with the most money wins.

Its hazard squares include "Income tax", where players have to pay 10% of their net worth.

The US government announced in January that it will raise the top income tax rate from 35 to 39.6%.

"The parallels between the game and the current economic climate... are so spooky," NeoGAF user Tntnnbltn told other Gaffers. "The picture on the front of the box is so reminiscent to the tax legislation with the money all over the cover.

"I was just knocked over by how relevant this game is, despite being made some 75 years ago, to US economics today."

Zenith

Banned
Peegs said:
Here's a clue; judge a site on the factual evidence that it presents and not on the comments of some user. With thought processes like that you'd make a fine politician. The oldest trick in politics when you are beat by facts is to debase the character presenting the facts to the point of the facts becoming irrelevant. To know the truth, one must face it without the filter of one´s beliefs, however respectable they may be.

you can also judge a site by the audience it caters to. Unchallenged postings of Illuminati being behind it all is a good indicator.

and wtf at the last 2 sentences. You sound like an 8 year old trying to sound like the president. cornball ftw.

Garcia

Zyzyxxz said:
nobody cares about Mexico

We mexicans do care about Mexico excuse me. And yes, if they don't stop the leak it is likely for the oil to start hitting our country, as well as Cuba.

RiskyChris said:
I heard this was happening, that BP was spraying corexit which is fucking strong as hell because it's designed to be dumped into a fucking ocean where it'll be diluted directly onto the fucking marshes.

Ugh.

this is truely horrible!
the dispersant is highly toxic. it can harm the human body in really bad ways.
alaskan people who helped with the exxon valdez clean up still suffer from the negative effects of corexit. many of them already died.

I can't believe that the US gov greenlighted such an action. they are playing with human lives there

NotWii

Banned
Oil/Water samples from Gulf...VERY TOXIC
Oil and water samples were taken from both the Shores of Grand Isle and from 20 miles out. The preliminary analysis was done at an academic analytical chemistry laboratory. Looking for the likely pollutants from the deep water Horizon Oil spill. It was focused on the detection of benzene and propylene glycol. Benzene and other highly toxic contaminants were very low however the concentration of propylene glycol was between 360 and 440 parts per million. Just 25 parts per million is know to kill most fish and propylene glycol is just one of many ingredients found in Corexit. In short, the Gulf is being poisoned by BP's usage of the dispersants even after the EPA asked them to stop back in May. We are willing to provide ANY respected/known laboratory these samples or provide them with more. This is very serious to all people and marine life in and around the Gulf.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq65E7rmO_k

JoeBoy101

This is NOT good news.

GRAND ISLE, La. -- Hundreds of fishermen from Lake Charles to Moss Point, Miss., were supposed to get checks from BP on Wednesday but didn't.

Wednesday night, their lawyer wanted answers.

Jeffrey Briet represents more than 500 fishermen, and he said the payment system he set up with BP required his clients to be paid every 30 days. Now that process has suddenly changed without warning, Briet said.

"Not only did they spring it on us that the process has changed, but the people I've been dealing with for six weeks who've done a good job said, 'We don't know what the process is going to be. We're not authorized to talk to you about it. Someone from BP will contact you,'" he said.

But Briet said he hasn't heard from BP or its lawyers. He said the claims people have been given so much conflicting information about the process that they can't provide answers.

I'm hoping this is just a glitch or policy issue. Because I can tell you, one of the few things companies hold sacrosanct is meeting payroll. Because they know, if you don't people won't work.

MrHicks

Banned
Wii said:
Those people drowned . . . the oil didn't kill them.

I hate it when people over hype things. That will just cause other people to dismiss the problem. The oil is an environmental disaster. But it is no monster-movie apocalypse.

It is just a bunch of oil spewing that kills wildlife & messes up beaches. Swimmers are not being killed, there will be no massive methane explosion (other than the one that took out the rig), there will be no tsunami (yes, some nuts come up with that theory), etc.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
speculawyer said:

I hate it when people over hype things. That will just cause other people to dismiss the problem. The oil is an environmental disaster. But it is no monster-movie apocalypse.

It is just a bunch of oil spewing that kills wildlife & messes up beaches. Swimmers are not being killed, there will be no massive methane explosion (other than the one that took out the rig), there will be no tsunami (yes, some nuts come up with that theory), etc.

Okay Wii, you've now lost all credibility with these news stories. Spec you saying I shouldn't believe those methane in the Gulf bubble stories?

speculawyer said:

Are you kidding me? BP is massively harming the health of everyone who is in contact with that water.

gcubed

mckmas8808 said:
Okay Wii, you've now lost all credibility with these news stories. Spec you saying I shouldn't believe those methane in the Gulf bubble stories?

you wonder why no one pays attention to environmental warriors.... The story was updated with this.

Update: These deaths can likely be attributed to strong currents. However, impairment from toxins may have contributed to an already difficult situation. See videos at bottom for information on scientific testing of crystal clear water along the Gulf that revealed the presence of toxic oil.

i'll reiterate what i posted last page. This thread is cluttered with absolute shit news that drowns out the real news.

I agree, let stick to real news:

----------

A federal appeals court on Thursday rejected the federal government's effort to restore an offshore deepwater drilling moratorium, opening the door to resumed drilling in the Gulf while the legal fight continues.

The ruling is not the final word on the Obama administration's fight to suspend new drilling projects so it can study the risks revealed by the disastrous BP oil spill.

The same appeals court is expected to hear arguments on the merits of the moratorium case in late August or early September.

While it's possible that 33 exploratory wells suspended by the moratorium could resume drilling, companies might not bother with the expense while the ultimate future of the projects hangs in the balance.

Catherine Wannamaker, a lawyer for several environmental groups that support the moratorium, said she was disappointed by the ruling but expressed confidence that the Obama administration ultimately will win its appeal.

Wannamaker said it's unclear whether any offshore companies would resume drilling because Thursday's ruling doesn't resolve the case.

"Clearly, it's legally allowed," she said. "The question is, practically speaking, will anybody do it given the uncertainty? It's hard to know what will happen."

The CEO of one of the companies that sued to stop the moratorium, Covington-based Hornbeck Offshore Services, said he didn't know if any of the companies involved planned to resume drilling.

"We need to get back to work," Todd Hornbeck said of his company, which provides vessels that serve the offshore industry. "We can't work without any drilling units working."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_gulf_oil_spill_moratorium

So the company line is "we need to drill or we will all die" and then they say "oh wait, no longer profitable to drill, never mind". Interesting

NotWii

Banned
Gulf toxicologist: Shrimpers exposed to Corexit “bleeding from the rectum”; Dispersant “ruptures red blood cells, causes internal bleeding” (VIDEO)
http://www.floridaoilspilllaw.com/g...ed-blood-cells-causes-internal-bleeding-video

speculawyer said:

At this point, I'm not even reading the articles, I figured you guys can do that for me
I am giving you the gift of discernment :D

If people dismiss the problem, then they deserve everything they get.
I'm sure the dinosaurs were saying: "it's just a 9mile asteroid, how bad can it be?"

Being cautious never killed anyone

mckmas8808 said:
Okay Wii, you've now lost all credibility with these news stories.
*plays a fiddle*

gcubed

That website is akin to a truther website, a whole lot of shit wrapped around some person with a degree and a smattering of research

NotWii

Banned
gcubed said:
That website is akin to a truther website, a whole lot of shit wrapped around some person with a degree and a smattering of research
What?
FloridaOilSpillLaw?
Tell me more

Out of curiosity: Would you swim in the gulf?

LQX

Wii said:
Gulf toxicologist: Shrimpers exposed to Corexit “bleeding from the rectum”; Dispersant “ruptures red blood cells, causes internal bleeding” (VIDEO)
http://www.floridaoilspilllaw.com/g...ed-blood-cells-causes-internal-bleeding-video

At this point, I'm not even reading the articles, I figured you guys can do that for me
I am giving you the gift of discernment :D

If people dismiss the problem, then they deserve everything they get.
I'm sure the dinosaurs were saying: "it's just a 9mile asteroid, how bad can it be?"

Being cautious never killed anyone

*plays a fiddle*
You are getting too much enjoyment out of this.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
mckmas8808 said:

the irony! :lol

LQX

Wii said:
You got me :D
But why? Are on that liberal high horse that loves things like this so you can say we told you so or a European that revel in seeing the US in some peril situation? I don't get it.

NotWii

Banned
LQX said:
But why? Are on that liberal high horse that loves things like this so you can say we told you so or a European that revel in seeing the US in some peril situation? I don't get it.
I just find it interesting to see how people deal with bad news, and what they do (or don't do) when they are affected (directly or indirectly).
And this is not solely aimed at people in this thread, it's just what I've gotten out of this incident and why I like 'doom' news in general.

They usually always try to rationalize it so they can carry on living the way they have been.
Ignore: "What can I do about it?" or "I don't care"
Downplay: "Things aren't that bad!"
Denial: "It's not true!"

They will only put on a lifejacket and get in the lifeboat when the captain tells them to, and not a second before.
Sometimes when the captain says it is time to act, it is already too late and they will get angry because you did not warn them earlier or loud enough.

I think it's good to listen to all angles (even if you think it's 'tinfoil'), it's pretty obvious from this incident alone that officials lie through their teeth, they are not telling you everything you need to know and you should not be trusting them with your lives. Despite this, people still cling to officialdom, and they will dismiss information just because of where it comes from, without proper discernment.

And you should be holding my links up to scrutiny as well, I'm glad you guys caught me out on the gulf swimmers story
Like the rest of my links, I posted it to see if there was any reaction.
But for every link, there's about 3 more that I don't post here.

Zenith

Banned
LQX said:

Neither, he's a conspiracy freak. You ever need tinfoil, he's your man.

Garcia

By now I'm pretty sure all of you have heard how the completion of the first RW is actually ahead of schedule. It could be ready as soon as 2 weeks from now to mid-August, and they're almost sure a single RW will take care of at least 70% of the pressure inside the pipe.

That should be more than enough to start capping it, so lets just hope they actually hit the pipe on their first try. Seems like this nightmare is coming to an end, finally !

mckmas8808 said:
There is certainly a lot of methane in the Gulf. This particular leak has like 40% methane in the spew.

But there is not going to be some giant methane cloud that causes some massive firestorm.

Calantus

Garcia said:
By now I'm pretty sure all of you have heard how the completion of the first RW is actually ahead of schedule. It could be ready as soon as 2 weeks from now to mid-August, and they're almost sure a single RW will take care of at least 70% of the pressure inside the pipe.

That should be more than enough to start capping it, so lets just hope they actually hit the pipe on their first try. Seems like this nightmare is coming to an end, finally !

The nightmare has already leaked into the gulf, this disaster is far from over. It will take a very long time for the gulf to recover.

Garcia

PumpkinPie said:
So why you always trying to sneak into America?

It's the Gulf of Mexico we're speaking, and the Gulf is not just Texas, Louisiana, Mississipi, Alabama and Florida, it's also Tamaulipas, Veracruz, Tabasco, Campeche, Yucatán and Cuba.

JoeBoy101

Well, now it looks like that moratorium is on all drilling, not just the 33 before, or rigs going under 500 feet.

Government Issues New Offshore Oil Moratorium

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration is issuing a new moratorium on deep-water offshore drilling and it's no longer based on water depth.

Interior Secretary Ken Salazar made the announcement Monday, arguing that a pause is still needed to ensure that oil and gas companies implement safety measures to reduce risks - and are prepared to handle spills.

The new moratorium will last through Nov. 30. Unlike the last moratorium, which applied to waters of more than 500 feet, the new one applies to any deep-water floating facility with drilling activities.

Last week, a federal appeals court rejected the government's effort to halt the approval of any new permits for deep-water projects and suspended drilling on 33 exploratory wells.

Anyone watching the web cams? Is the Enterprise ROV 1 cam showing the oil pipe cap? I think that cam was showing oil spewing out earlier during the day, but it does not look anything is coming out now unless if the cam was moved further up the pipe.

Edit:

Nevermind, just saw the ROV move lower. The cam was looking at the seal between two segments of pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom