• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakey

Here is a Famitsu translation for details about the second season for Pokemon Best Wishes:

According to the summary on Famitsu, the gang along with the Shin'ō League Champion Shirona will head to eastern part of the Isshu region, which has many non-Isshu Pokémon populating it. They also encounter Hikari, one of Satoshi's previous traveling companion. Meloetta will later become Satoshi's friend and journey with them.

Cattleya, one of the members of Four Heavenly Kings of the Isshu region, will enter the World Tournament Junior Cup along with Shirona. The winner of the cup can battle Isshu League Champion Adeku.

Along with that, Satoshi will also have a new rival, and Sakaki will lead Rocket-dan in their 'biggest plot in history'.

If Meloetta becomes a character that travels with Ash and friends, then perhaps it could end up becoming the face of Black/White 2, and thus have a leg up over Zoroark/Victini for the Pokemon newcomer spot. Meloetta has the gimmick of transforming between its Aria and Pirouette forms, and Sakurai has put in a character in Melee and Brawl a character with a transformation gimmick.

GamerSoul

Meloetta would be interesting and would definitely be a surprise character. It also depends if this will increase her popularity warranting her a spot. I think Sakurai will work with whatever Game Freak gives him when it's time because that would be the best way to know for sure who deserves it. Unless we get another smash poll for potential extras... I would then try my best to stuff all the ballots with my picks if I could.

Also, this time around will there be any excuses for leaving any characters out that were actually planned (with the idea of DL content and characters)? Or will this still be a process again where Sakurai has to retool the characters for his new vision?

KevinCow

Banned
I don't know much about recent Pokemon or if a character like Scrafty even has a chance, but I'd root for him because I generally prefer the goofy, cutesy Pokemon like Pikachu and Jigglypuff over the "cool" ones like Lucario and Zoroark.

Thores

Meloetta speculation

The community tends to overexaggerate how much of a focus to the season these synopses are. I remember the Kanto Battle Frontier arc during Gen 3, when it was heavily publicized that Misty was coming back to the show. Everyone got riled up and assumed she'd be back for the full season, if not longer. Then the actual season aired. Misty re-joined the gang, stayed for 3 episodes, then left again. It could be the same deal for Meloetta, which I'm kinda leaning towards since a legendary traveling with the party in a non-movie scenario is unprecedented. I'm not saying her being a party member for most of the season won't happen, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

If she actually does stick around though, not only would a playable SSB4 appearance from her be somewhat plausible, it'd actually be pretty cool. Her design's pretty alright, and she has a whole lot of potential for a fun and unique playstyle, so I'd be down for her on the roster. If her role on the show ends up being not that big after all, I'm sure she'll probably be a prime candidate for a Poke Ball.

Every Smash Bros game from now on needs to feature Pikachu, Charizard (Project M moveset) and Mewtwo (buffed). Jigglypuff's time has passed. And Nintendo can throw in whatever current abomination is representing the concurrent pokemon game for each future iteration.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Lucario is yesterday's news. Get him out of here and replace him with the best L Pokemon!

7FZHU.png

Also has its own battle theme. How many Pokémon have that?

They are all cut Melee characters, and since the columns share themes, the theme of their column would be Melee's cut characters.

Young Link's role was taken by Toon Link. I think Pichu might still have a place in Smash Bros. as the the series's true joke character and being the representative for the massively popular second-generation.

Easy - add Little Mac, then Glass Joe as a crappy clone of him.

fisheyes

Easy - add Little Mac, then Glass Joe as a crappy clone of him.

This was my idea also. Glass Joe is the perfect Nintendo joke character. He could be a weaker Mac clone (or hopefully, semi-clone), with some flamboyant attacks (think Luigi's running flail punch thing) and some typically 'cheese eating surrender monkeys' French stereotypes (a white flag surrender taunt, for one). If there's a story mode, you could really play up the fact that Glass Joe somehow got into this Nintendo all star game despite being terrible even within his own universe. It would be great.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
THat's why I stuck him in my joke roster instead of Little Mac. The opponent boxer are far more interesting than Mac and Glass Joe is basically the Nintendo joke character.

Every Smash Bros game from now on needs to feature Pikachu, Charizard (Project M moveset) and Mewtwo (buffed). Jigglypuff's time has passed. And Nintendo can throw in whatever current abomination is representing the concurrent pokemon game for each future iteration.

Do you honestly think that Generation I has better designs than the current Generation, or are you just blinded by nostalgia? Stop living in the past; Gen I had more horrible designs than any Generation other than II.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

lmao get this guy and his gen 1 opinion

Jintor

Do you honestly think that Generation I has better designs than the current Generation, or are you just blinded by nostalgia? Stop living in the past; Gen I had more horrible designs than any Generation other than II.

Bad opinion detected! ACTIVATING COUNTERMEASURES

Jigglypuff ain't going anywhere, son. She's been in since 64, she's a full-fledged veteran at this point.

Boss Doggie

And people think Jigglypuff isn't relevant are really blind on its staying power. It's still one of the most popular Pokemon out there - hell, it's in the cover for Conquest... fighting against fucking Legendaries.

Kokonoe

Banned

Generation 5 has an ice cream cone as a Pokemon, a garbage bag, and a mushroom that has the design of a Pokeball on it as if a mushroom had an encounter with a modern day Pokeball and mutated into a Pokemon.

I disagree with your opinion.

Generation 5 has an ice cream cone as a Pokemon, a garbage bag, and a mushroom that has the design of a Pokeball on it as if a mushroom had an encounter with a modern day Pokeball and mutated into a Pokemon.

Hey, hate on Vanillish, Trubbish and Foonguss all you want, but it still doesn't change the fact that Gen I had a pile of sludge, an actual Pokéball and a rubber chicken as Pokémon.

Kokonoe

Banned
Hey, hate on Vanillish, Trubbish and Foonguss all you want, but it still doesn't change the fact that Gen I had a pile of sludge, an actual Pokéball and a rubber chicken as Pokémon.

A plastic bag monster doesn't make sense. Slime monsters have been in RPGs since their creation, and even in horror movies. I don't recall "Attack of Plastic Bag Monster!"

Voltorb was first seen in a laboratory where Pokeballs were created, that actually makes much more sense than a bio-mecha-mutation.

..Rubber Chicken?

A plastic bag monster doesn't make sense. Slime monsters have been in RPGs since their creation, and even in horror movies. I don't recall "Attack of Plastic Bag Monster!"[/spoiler]

If you read Trubbish/Garbodor's PokéDex entry, you'll see that they have a very similar origin story to Grimer/Muk. Plus, Trubbish gets more points for actually changing when it evolves instead of just getting a bigger mouth. Trubbish was also intentionally designed to look silly and cute rather than intimidating, so every "it looks stupid" point is moot.

Voltorb was first seen in a laboratory where Pokeballs were created, that actually makes much more sense than a bio-mecha-mutation.

Foonguss isn't a bio-mechanical mutation, it just observed that there tend to be Pokéballs lying around a lot in the Pokémon world and utilized the pattern as a camouflage mechanism. It's actually quite clever in that sense.

..Rubber Chicken?

Moltres, although that's just my observation. I guess Seel would be a better example, considering that both its name and design are bland (even though it IS cute).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If Black and White was based in a Britishesque land Trubbish would come in multiple varieties for foliage, plastics, glass, paper and general waste.

If Black and White was based in a Britishesque land Trubbish would come in multiple varieties for foliage, plastics, glass, paper and general waste.

I'm still waiting on a Pokémon region based on Canada. It would be cool to visit my motherland instead of different flavours of Japan, and more importantly, there would be no Koffing, Grimer, Trubbish or evil team. On the downside, there would be far more Ice-types.

I'm still waiting on a Pokémon region based on Canada. It would be cool to visit my motherland instead of different flavours of Japan, and more importantly, there would be no Koffing, Grimer, Trubbish or evil team. On the downside, there would be far more Ice-types.

There would definitely be an evil team, what are you talking about.
Team Icehockey, for instance.

Also, Canada has its own fair share of pollution. =P

Not going to lie guys, Trubbish and Garbodor really grew on me, I especially like the way the bag bursts for Garbodor due to its mass and essentially forms a mask

I'm not saying Gen 1 is the best (I prefer Gen 2) but those 3 pokemon in particular are some of the best designed and most popular in the series. Pikachu is obviously the pokemon mascot and will always be there, and I'm pretty sure Charizard and Mewtwo were voted the #1 and #2 best pokemon ever.

There is nothing wrong with Jiggypuff, it just seems like a waste considering how similar to Kirby it looks, and how many other pokemon there are from newer generations. Meh.

cednym

Banned
As mentioned, I really think Pichu should return. It was given a big push from '99-'01, and even though its prominence died off when Plusle and Minun were introduced, it regained its relevance surrounding the release of HeartGold/SoulSilver and the related films and spinoffs.

Arceus and the Jewel of Life (July 2009)
bPGvc.png

Spiky-eared Pichu debuted in the ninth feature film as one its most heavily marketed Pokémon, appearing on much of the movie's promotional material. In fact, Pikachu-colored Pichu were distributed to Japanese moviegoers who preordered tickets…

Pokémon HeartGold & SoulSilver (September 2009)
DMWFy.png

…and taking the Pikachu-colored Pichu to Ilex Forest in HeartGold or SoulSilver allowed players to obtain the Spiky-eared Pichu.

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs (March 2010)
AtBtx.png

Ukulele Pichu was marketed as the main character of this title, developed in-house by Creatures. It also appeared in a special anime short produced in conjunction with the game.

I could actually see Sakurai reusing his tandem Plusle & Minun idea for the Spiky-eared and Pikachu-colored Pichu, but any version of Pichu would suffice.

I'm not saying Gen 1 is the best (I prefer Gen 2) but those 3 pokemon in particular are some of the best designed and most popular in the series. Pikachu is obviously the pokemon mascot and will always be there, and I'm pretty sure Charizard and Mewtwo were voted the #1 and #2 best pokemon ever.

Your use of the word "abominations" to describe more recent Pokemon says otherwise, but whatever, I ain't even mad. I've been playing Pokemon since Blue first came out, and I still think that Gen V is the best generation so far. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

There is nothing wrong with Jiggypuff, it just seems like a waste considering how similar to Kirby it looks, and how many other pokemon there are from newer generations. Meh.

Mario and Luigi really look similar to each other, Luigi thusly is a waste.
Peach and Zelda really look similar to each other, Zelda thusly is a waste.
Meta Knight literally is a blue Kirby with a sword and gloves, he thusly is a waste.
Obviously.

FYI here are the voting results for the top 100 pokemon survey on IGN:

20. Alakazam
19. Scizor
18. Entei
17. Gengar
16. Suicune
15. Venusaur
14. Ho-Oh
13. Articuno
12. Arcanine
11. Gyarados
10. Zekrom
9. Tyranitar
8. Zapdos
7. Rayquaza
6. Mew
5. Dragonite
4. Lugia
3. Blastoise
2. Mewtwo
1. Charizard

12 of the top 20 are Gen 1 pokemon. 6 are Gen 2. Rayquaza and Zekrom are the only others to crack the top 20 (and they both fully deserve it). Obviously it's not fact that Gen 1 is the best, but it is the most widely held opinion that it had the best of the best pokemon. Sure it had some dumb designs, but what Gen didn't? It seems that each Gen produces less and less awesome pokemon, despite piling on more legendaries (whose main purpose it to be awesome).

I do apologize for using the word abomination. That was harsh. I just hate Lucario's design.

I wouldn't really trust that list, if I were you. Most of the comments on that article were from crusty nostalgic dudes who think that Gen I is the gospel and that every other game after them is crap just for not being Red/Blue. Eveyone has their own favourites, and I'd trust yours rather than some list.

I've been thinking about stages and stuff again, and it occurred to me - wouldn't it be kind of interesting if the 3DS version diverged more heavily from the Wii U version on these fronts? Like, the 3DS could celebrate more of the portable-exclusive entries of given franchises. Instead of celebrating Skyward Sword or Twilight Princess, Zelda would be represented with Link's Awakening, the Oracle games or Minish Cap. Mario would feature levels inspired by the Land series. Metroid would feature Return of Samus, Fusion or Zero Mission stages (ideally something exclusive to Zero Mission instead of cheaping out and reusing Brinstar). Donkey Kong could reference DK'94.

Obviously this would be a moot point for franchises that are by-and-large portable-only, like Wario or Pokémon, but still, it'd be an interesting nod.

Jigglypuff is fucking awesome. You know what isn't fucking awesome? Nerfing him. Fuck that.
Jigglypuff is male?

Kokonoe

Banned
FYI here are the voting results for the top 100 pokemon survey on IGN:

20. Alakazam
19. Scizor
18. Entei
17. Gengar
16. Suicune
15. Venusaur
14. Ho-Oh
13. Articuno

12. Arcanine
11. Gyarados
10. Zekrom
9. Tyranitar
8. Zapdos
7. Rayquaza

6. Mew
5. Dragonite
4. Lugia
3. Blastoise
2. Mewtwo
1. Charizard

12 of the top 20 are Gen 1 pokemon. 6 are Gen 2. Rayquaza and Zekrom are the only others to crack the top 20 (and they both fully deserve it). Obviously it's not fact that Gen 1 is the best, but it is the most widely held opinion that it had the best of the best pokemon. Sure it had some dumb designs, but what Gen didn't? It seems that each Gen produces less and less awesome pokemon, despite piling on more legendaries (whose main purpose it to be awesome).

I do apologize for using the word abomination. That was harsh. I just hate Lucario's design.

I'm liking this list. Surprised at the Entei, though.

I wouldn't really trust that list, if I were you. Most of the comments on that article were from crusty nostalgic dudes who think that Gen I is the gospel and that every other game after them is crap just for not being Red/Blue. Eveyone has their own favourites, and I'd trust yours rather than some list.
Yeah that is true. It's hard to remove the nostalgia.
Sorry I didn't mean to start a ruckus, I've just been playing some Melee lately and decided to throw the idea out there. Those are the 3 iconic pokemon that come to mind when I think of the series.
Looking at pokemon charts from each gen, I must admit that I actually like Gen 4 designs quite a bit. They may be the most consistent of all (in my opinion).

Boss Doggie

If only I get a dollar for each sentence involving Trubbish and such while forgetting the older gen's sins in similarity of design.

I laugh at you for basing IGN of all places for reference.

Also, Jigglypuff usually is the second person next to Pikachu.

I've been thinking about stages and stuff again, and it occurred to me - wouldn't it be kind of interesting if the 3DS version diverged more heavily from the Wii U version on these fronts? Like, the 3DS could celebrate more of the portable-exclusive entries of given franchises. Instead of celebrating Skyward Sword or Twilight Princess, Zelda would be represented with Link's Awakening, the Oracle games or Minish Cap. Mario would feature levels inspired by the Land series. Metroid would feature Return of Samus, Fusion or Zero Mission stages (ideally something exclusive to Zero Mission instead of cheaping out and reusing Brinstar). Donkey Kong could reference DK'94.

Obviously this would be a moot point for franchises that are by-and-large portable-only, like Wario or Pokémon, but still, it'd be an interesting nod.

Jigglypuff is male?

I love this idea. And yes Jigglypuff can be whatever gender you want it to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom