• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

udivision

Just mod the game and put your own music in.
Brawl was pretty much a PC game in terms of how much the community "made it their own."

leroidys

If they are going to include clones ( I think it is wishful thinking that they won't), I would like to see Donkey Kong Jr. as a smaller, quicker clone of DK. I like DK, but he's just not that much fun to play as, being so slow. Also, my already mentioned Baby Mario/Luigi ice climbers clone idea is awesome. Fact.

udivision

If they are going to include clones ( I think it is wishful thinking that they won't), I would like to see Donkey Kong Jr. as a smaller, quicker clone of DK. I like DK, but he's just not that much fun to play as, being so slow. Also, my already mentioned Baby Mario/Luigi ice climbers clone idea is awesome. Fact.

I don't think the Marioverse needs more represenation, in terms of your ice climbers idea. I'd rather they make DK a little faster that fill a roster spot with a clone because speed is too important in this game.

Custom soundtracks aren't really the same thing at all.
It's kind of close considering fans have already remixed the shroom out of every possible song that could possibly be included. Only difference is that they didn't need to be asked.

PokéKong

Or they could just allow custom soundtracks. Probably not going to happen.

It's weird how few games allow custom soundtracks these days. We had a couple at the start of the generation, and then it's like everyone forgot such a thing is possible and simple to implement.

Snakey

Here is a little mini-poll for those reading this topic, out of Toad, Paper Mario, and Bowser Jr, who would you want to see as the newcomer for the Mario series?

SmithnCo

Here is a little mini-poll for those reading this topic, out of Toad, Paper Mario, and Bowser Jr, who would you want to see as the newcomer for the Mario series?

Paper Mario, considering he reps a whole (sub?) franchise, and would make a good Toon Link to Mario's Link. He also has a lot of cool move possibilities, like the hammer, paper airplane, items like shells, etc.

Bowser Jr. might be interesting too, Don't know about Toad though, he seems like he would be bland.

udivision

Oddily enough, I'd choose Bowser Jr. although I like him the least of those characters.

Even though I just spoke against this, it'd be fun to have a Bowser that you could actually use.

PokéKong

If you had a gun to my head and forced me to choose, I'd have to say Bowser Jr.

Ideally as a sorta half-clone of Bowser, keeping the Down-B and B, but making the Side-B and Up-B and most A moves involve the paintbrush and disguise handkerchief somehow.

Snakey

I would go with Toad as well, primarily because of Wario's Woods and the fact that he is the only character that has been playable in the Mario platformers that is not yet playable in Smash Bros. He is also the only character that has been in every Mario Kart that is not yet playable in Smash Bros.

illadelph

PokéKong;35145936 said:
It's weird how few games allow custom soundtracks these days. We had a couple at the start of the generation, and then it's like everyone forgot such a thing is possible and simple to implement.
Yeah, it was one of the selling points for a lot of games that came out. For a lot of games (sports, wrestling, racing, GTA) I thought it was going to be awesome, then I don't know what happened to it.

I remember when the 360 was first coming out, Microsoft made a big deal out of custom soundtracks and the different faceplates that you could customize your console with, and they said they thought of the current consumer market as the "remix generation."

At least the Wii got Exitetruck and Endless Ocean.

illadelph

Toad is my choice for Mario rep, I love that little guy, plus he's a beast in SMB2. Probably won't happen though...

I'd be fine with Paper Mario. He would be unique and represent a different kind of Mario game.

I don't want any of them, but Bowser Jr is clearly the front runner, being both the most relevant and easiest to implement (smaller, faster Bowser clone).

EDIT: Movesets featuring the paintbrush and/or Shadow Mario miss the point.

SmithnCo

I would accept this only if his entrance was floating down onto the stage in the bubble he was in in Yoshi's Island.

He should get dropped onto the stage by a stork, or either could be his upB.

I actually would like a Baby Mario Bros. team more, like Ice Climbers. Would be pretty funny.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Bowser Jr easily... He is more interesting character than Toad by default, and my opinion about Paper Mario is that he should represent his own series instead of mario universe.

I would accept this only if his entrance was floating down onto the stage in the bubble he was in in Yoshi's Island.

Well, yes, of course. He'd be able to float with balloons, either Peach-style or as his recovery. He could have his hammer from M&L2, a Chompling, a cry move... oh, and Superstar Mario as his Final Smash.

PokéKong

Anything involving the Baby characters leaves a bitter taste in my mouth because of how Nintendo got everything confused as to whether they're past versions of the current characters or some sort of new babies of these characters, with dubious implications of who exactly their parents are.

Including Paper Mario doesn't feel right to me. I don't see the Paper Mario series as such a separate entity as other Mario games, it would be like including Kart Racer Mario or Partying Mario. Sure the visual style deviates, but I don't think that warrants the need for the inclusion of a separate character.

Of course I also still think having a Toon Link is pretty odd, much less Dr. Mario.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Ideally, Paper Mario.

I wouldn't mind Bowser Jr either, and yeah, I can imagine him being a fast, lighter Bowser.

A Game and Watch-style Jumpman would be a pretty cool WTF! inclusion though.

PokéKong;35147663 said:
Anything involving the Baby characters leaves a bitter taste in my mouth because of how Nintendo got everything confused as to whether they're past versions of the current characters or some sort of new babies of these characters, with dubious implications of who exactly their parents are.

WTF? Why do you care? IT'S SUPER MARIO.

If this was 'Super Rockstar Bros.' and we had Niko Bellic and Baby Niko Bellic, sure, but it's not, it's one of the silliest game series going

PokéKong

WTF? Why do you care? IT'S SUPER MARIO.

If this was 'Super Rockstar Bros.' and we had Niko Bellic and Baby Niko Bellic, sure, but it's not, it's one of the silliest game series going

It seemed pretty clearly to be an origin story in Yoshi's Island, but then after that it's like they stopped caring. No there are plenty of more silly nonsensical series out there, Mario is lighthearted but the characters should be treated with some degree of respect.

PokéKong;35148055 said:
It seemed pretty clearly to be an origin story in Yoshi's Island, but then after that it's like they stopped caring. No there are plenty of more silly nonsensical series out there, Mario is lighthearted but the characters should be treated with some degree of respect.

How about this

It's really boring in past Mushroom Kingdom so the babies use E. Gadd's time machine to frolic into the present and have fun here

Tadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Triton55

PokéKong;35147663 said:

Including Paper Mario doesn't feel right to me. I don't see the Paper Mario series as such a separate entity as other Mario games, it would be like including Kart Racer Mario or Partying Mario. Sure the visual style deviates, but I don't think that warrants the need for the inclusion of a separate character.

Of course I also still think having a Toon Link is pretty odd, much less Dr. Mario.

Doesn't matter in Smash Bros, because it's implied that all the characters are just toys/trophies that have been brought to life.

I hope they ditch the trophy thing at some point, because invariably it's going to result in any story mode having to incorporate that shit. No chance of my terrible, terrible fan-fiction-standard idea of having Zelda use the Triforce to open up access to other Nintendo worlds in order to get rid of Ganon ever happening. :(

Thores

Paper Mario, then Bowser Jr., then Toad.

P.Mario has great moveset potential and the spin-off series is really unique and stands out so I think it should be showcased more. However, I think it's more likely that there'll just be a Paper Mario stage. I don't really care for Bowser Jr., but between his paintbrush, Shadow Mario form, and giant robots he's got a lot of material for a unique moveset. Plus he's been in the spotlight a lot lately as either a main or secondary villain, so I think out of the three he's the most likely, even if he's not the most desired.

I like Toad more than I like BJ, and he definitely deserved a playable spot back in the SSB64 days, but those days passed a while ago. He's just not that relevant anymore. He stopped being a main character back in, what, the SNES days, and these days he's treated less like an individual character and more like a member of a species. Heck, there was the perfect opportunity for him to be playable in New Super Mario Bros, and Miyamoto invented two new characters instead. He doesn't have much material for a moveset besides grabbing things, unless his moveset consists of stuff from the Sports/Party/Kart spinoffs. You know who makes a better rep for those games? Either Daisy or Waluigi. They've both been playable in more Mario spin-offs than him, and Daisy even has the sporty/athletic personality to fit the moveset. Besides, Toad is already in Smash, as one of Peach's moves, and I think that sums up his role in the series really well. They could give Peach a new Neutral-B, but I don't think they'll bother.

Toad's iconic for sure and I hope he sticks around. I just don't find him to rank as playable-worthy. He's a character that was important once but has been consistently on the sidelines for at least the past two generations, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Snakey

They've both been playable in more Mario spin-offs than him,

Nope.

And the two "new playable characters" for New Super Mario Bros. Wii are both Toads. I think Toad qualifies both as a character and a species, kind of like Yoshi and the Pokemon.

Mista Koo

As much as I like Paper Mario I don't want him in, he'd look out of place (it worked for G&W only) plus I hate seeing other versions of characters already in the game.

Thores

Nope.

And the two "new playable characters" for New Super Mario Bros. Wii are both Toads. I think Toad qualifies both as a character and a species, kind of like Yoshi and the Pokemon.

You generally are a crazy impressive encyclopedia of Nintendo information, and I figured you would want to say some things in Toad's defense, so before I made the "Daisy and Waluigi are playable in more Mario spinoffs" claim I did some counting on MarioWiki.

Toad is a playable character in about 25 games, including SMB2 and the Wario's Woods games. In most of the other games he's in, he's a minor supporting character like a referee or a dude that hands out stars or whatever. Daisy is playable in 31 games, Waluigi is playable in 29.

Yoshis and Toads are both species in the Mario universe, but the franchise goes out of its way to let you know which ones are "the" Yoshi and "the" Toad, from their distinct colors and in Yoshi's case he's generally Mario's dinosaur partner of choice. "The" Yoshi still gets a lot of spotlight time, "the" Toad not so much. And I was under the impression that the Blue and Yellow Toads in NSMB Wii were given their own names and personalities, hence me calling them "new characters", but it looks like I was wrong on that front. Either way they're still not the main, iconic Toad and shouldn't count as a playable appearance for him.

(If we count every time the Toad species is playable, that's 28 games.)

PokéKong

Toads are less like a species and more of a race. Yoshi's and Pokemon are species of animals, Toads people.

It would be like including "Old Man in Cave" from Zelda, or just "Hylian".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom