• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

leroidys

I love how this thread changes from "EVERY CHARACTER IN THIS GAME IS A CLONE" to "HERE'S A NEW CHARACTER BUT THEY HAVE TO REPLACE ANOTHER ONE BECAUSE THEY'RE VAGUELY THE SAME"

I think the black shadow idea is neat, but it just operates on the premise that Sakurai will never change a characters moveset ever. Of course, what would be ideal would be a new move set for both ganondorf and a new move set for a hypothetical black shadow.

It seems as though I got under Black-Wind's skin once again.
... Wut? Are you gonna say that EVERY time I have a discussion with you?

You asked for someone to reply to your thoughts and I did ... actually wouldn't have replied had you not asked for feedback.

Also, why would Rosalina be added as a "Galaxy rep" when the Galaxy series is now over? Its more likely that the Galaxy representation for Smash 4 will simply be a stage based on the Galaxy titles (either Good Egg Galaxy or Star Ship Mario). Rosalina might show up as an Assist Trophy, but I am seriously doubting playable status. Super Mario 3D Land has already outsold both Galaxy titles in Japan. The next Mario 3D platformer will most likely not having anything to do with Super Mario Galaxy as well.

I love LOVE LOVE how you say this as if we know dick all about what direction Mario will take on the WU. But for all I know Miyamoto said somewhere that "we're not going to make any more Galazy Mario games" and if so then I would love a link to that source (I don't keep up to date on these things but I'm googleing and not finding anything remotely close to that).

Anyway, I already explained why I picked her. She seems the default "Galaxy Representative" in the Mario series now that they're putting her in spin-offs, effectively making her a new member of the Mario cast.

Also loving how you're playing the number's game by using sells as an excuse as to why Nintendo would drop the very successful and highly praised Mario Galaxy titles because stuff like NSMB and SM3DL have sold well. That reminds me of how people use to "Hate" Wii___ because they sold so well and they feared that Nintendo would turn away from the big games like Zelda in favor of doing casual titles that didn't cost much. Classy ;]

Also, it seemed you got seriously agitated when I suggested that Takamaru and Samurai Goroh are more likely than Kat & Ana. Why do things that most of the Smash Bros. fanbase thinks irks you so much? Can you at least acknowledge that far more people desire both of those characters than Kat & Ana.
Berordn said it well.
And just to add to that, the thought that "smash fans" mean anything is just soo ... wow.
Smash is a series for Nintendo fans and Nintendo series ... what Brawl has shown me is that Smash Fans online =/= Nintendo fans most of the time. Don't care how many people in a small-yet-vocal group wants w/e, tons of people "supported" Geno but that thing was never going to happen.

And on top of that you missed my Point.
You keep acting like there can only be ONE character with w/e fighting style or combat weapon so anything that might intrude on that somehow effects the "chances" of w/e other character.

Also, my assessment about Captain Syrup's role in Wario Land Shake It was still correct. You simply chose to emphasis her storyline importance in the game.
Name me the average amount of things Peach does in the average Mario Mainline game? Move the story in the game forward by having Mario go on a mission that results in the events for the game? How about Zelda in OoT, she only teaches Link songs in drag in the game ... but story-wise she was the driving force, right?

In Brawl, the only content for the Wario Land series was one sticker for Wario World and one sticker for Virtual Boy Wario Land. The only other reference was Wario's smash-A move.
...And?

This isn't Brawl, the Wario Land series has gotten a notable new entry since then and Sakurai clearly didn't over look that side of the series in Brawl, even going as far as to give Wario a Classic Wario Land Model you can play as.

---

And thank you for giving an example of what I'm talking about. Your post is the perfect example of what's wrong with the "Fanbase".
You clearly place arbitrary limiters and rules based on w/e and pass them off as facts even when they contradict whats been proven in the game. "Oh no, this character has the same kinda sword as this character, there can only be one Samurai like character!/ Oh, OK ... a group of internet forum members want this obscure character in ... so by ways of some kinda computer magic Sakurai will know this, making them more likely than a more well known Nintendo character whose inclusion could result in the game reaching more homes/ Not much attention was paid to this side of a series in Brawl IMO so the more "likely" pick would be from this other side" and so on and so on. That kind of stuff is a cancer to Smash speculation topics.

Anyway, List time! Gonna bump it up to 14 because I don't think Sakurai is gonna go lower than that.
Past Smash series getting a new comer.
1. Rosalina (Mario)
2. Impa (LoZ)
3. Chrome (FE)
4. Palutena 5. Medusa (KI)
6. New Wario character (Cap. Syrup-Mona-Ashley-KatAna or w/e)
7.8.9 Pokemon Rival/ Pokemon Champion (Either the latest inverse of the 3 starters or just 3 really popular Pokemon from the latest games that are different sizes)

New series to smash.
10. Golden Sun main character (either of them. I could see both getting in like Ness and Lucas)
11.-12. S&P characters (the 2 characters from either of the S&P games. They share a move-set like the Mario Bros)
13. - 14 AW characters (Sami/ Andy or maybe some BW characers like Betty)

Returning characters that were not in brawl.
Mewtwo

3Rd Party characters.
Sora or Neku
Travis Touchdown

Snakey

Here are results so far to this little mini-poll:

Top 5 overall:
1. Little Mac (19)
2. Ridley / Mega Man (15)
3. Isaac (13)
4. K. Rool (11)
5. Dixie Kong / Medusa / Saki (10)

Top 3 most wanted characters from veteran series:
1. Ridley (15)
2. K. Rool (11)
3. Dixie Kong / Medusa (10)

This pretty much makes sense, though Medusa is performing strongly is a bit surprising considering her game has not even been released yet. There is a huge drop off after Dixie/Medusa, with the next highest ranking characters being Ghirahim/Tingle with six votes each, and after that Black Shadow/Samurai Goroh/Palutena/Impa with five votes.

Top 3 most wanted characters from newcomer series (Nintendo):
1. Little Mac (19)
2. Isaac (13)
3. Saki (10)

It makes sense that Little Mac reigns supreme. Punch-Out is the longest running series of the bunch and the only in which most of its games were developed by Nintendo themselves. Isaac and Saki put up a strong performance too. Shulk and Takamaru also got many votes as well (8 and 7 respectively). It seems as though there is a strong desire for more sword-characters by NeoGAF.

Top 3 most wanted villains:
1. Ridley (15)
2. K. Rool (11)
3. Medusa (10)

It interesting how popular Medusa is and her game is not already out yet. Ridley and K. Rool being as high as they are is a no-brainer.

Top 3 most wanted female characters:
1. Dixie Kong / Medusa (10)
2. Palutena / Impa (5)
3. Captain Syrup (3)

Its nice to see there is a good amount of Dixie love at NeoGAF, and I am again surprised at Medusa's performance in spite of Uprising not being released yet. There is a large drop out after that though. Palutena will probably become much more popular once Uprising and the OVAs for Kid Icarus are released.

Top 3 most wanted third-party characters:
1. Mega Man (15)
2. Simon Belmont (4)
3. Banjo / Tails / Sora / Travis Touchdown (2)

Mega Man is pretty much the only third-party character that is wanted. Sakurai even remarked that about the large resistance to add many third-party characters both by the fanbase and by the development team itself. If there is going to be one third-party newcomer, IT HAS to be Mega Man. Besides, I think many of us can recount stories of people confusing Mega Man for a Nintendo IP.

I think there is probably going to be much more interest in Medusa and Palutena when Kid Icarus Uprising (and the anime shorts for it) are released. It also seems that NeoGAF is comfortable with the idea of both K. Rool and Dixie Kong getting in this time. One thing I am surprising about is the low demand there is for a Mario newcomer (no character from that series exceeded four votes).

Regarding the lack of demand for Mario newcomers, the thing with Mario is that all the main players are already present, while you may look at things as just the 4 characters which seems a bit small for Nintendo's main series I do still lump Yoshi and Wario in with them at the end of the day, granted Wario has had further success away from Mario with Wario Ware so he stands further alone, Yoshi on the other hand might as well be part of the Mario lineup, just with his own symbol and victory theme. Hell one of his melee stages is a Mario series stage anyway (SMW Yoshi's Island).

Toad, Paper Mario and Bowser Jr are the only other candidates I really see for Mario (aside from the return of the Doctor), if Paper Mario were included he'd probably be worthy of his own symbol and victory theme in a similar style to Yoshi. On that note I hope each character gets their own unique victory jingle this time around, I think Brawl had plans to but they were dropped, correct me if i'm wrong.
Bowser Jr is disliked by some from what i've seen over the years, something about stealing koopaling positions, though with NSMB wii that hate train seems to have died down a bit, while he has been a prominent villain and has access to the paintbrush I can't see much excitement from people if he were to be included. Toad is an odd one, depending on when you got into the series he's either part of the main line up or a side character.

Elsewhere there are some that trumpet Daisy and Waluigi, can't say I agree with those two, both serve as padding for spinoff titles, might as well start going for Birdo or Petey Piranha if those two are deemed spot worthy, Daisy functions fine as an alt for Peach and Waluigi is also fine in the assist trophy role.
Really Mario doesn't need anyone else, the extended Mario cast gets plenty of opportunities to be used in other games, i'd much rather have time spent on characters from other series.

Now Pokemon, there's an interesting one. Currently 6 first gen pokemon have been playable, 1 second gen and 1 fourth. Really I would like less from gen 1 and more from the rest but I know people frown upon the removal of characters (which I understand, no one likes losing their character of choice) and I certainly wouldn't mind Mewtwo back myself. I wonder if the Pokemon section of the roster will ever go under a big overhaul?

Here are results so far to this little mini-poll:

Top 5 overall:
1. Little Mac (19)
2. Ridley / Mega Man (15)
3. Isaac (13)
4. K. Rool (11)
5. Dixie Kong / Medusa / Saki (10)

Top 3 most wanted characters from veteran series:
1. Ridley (15)
2. K. Rool (11)
3. Dixie Kong / Medusa (10)

This pretty much makes sense, though Medusa is performing strongly is a bit surprising considering her game has not even been released yet. There is a huge drop off after Dixie/Medusa, with the next highest ranking characters being Ghirahim/Tingle with six votes each, and after that Black Shadow/Samurai Goroh/Palutena/Impa with five votes.

Top 3 most wanted characters from newcomer series (Nintendo):
1. Little Mac (19)
2. Isaac (13)
3. Saki (10)

It makes sense that Little Mac reigns supreme. Punch-Out is the longest running series of the bunch and the only in which most of its games were developed by Nintendo themselves. Isaac and Saki put up a strong performance too. Shulk and Takamaru also got many votes as well (8 and 7 respectively). It seems as though there is a strong desire for more sword-characters by NeoGAF.

Top 3 most wanted villains:
1. Ridley (15)
2. K. Rool (11)
3. Medusa (10)

It interesting how popular Medusa is and her game is not already out yet. Ridley and K. Rool being as high as they are is a no-brainer.

Top 3 most wanted female characters:
1. Dixie Kong / Medusa (10)
2. Palutena / Impa (5)
3. Captain Syrup (3)

Its nice to see there is a good amount of Dixie love at NeoGAF, and I am again surprised at Medusa's performance in spite of Uprising not being released yet. There is a large drop out after that though. Palutena will probably become much more popular once Uprising and the OVAs for Kid Icarus are released.

Top 3 most wanted third-party characters:
1. Mega Man (15)
2. Simon Belmont (4)
3. Banjo / Tails / Sora / Travis Touchdown (2)

Mega Man is pretty much the only third-party character that is wanted. Sakurai even remarked that about the large resistance to add many third-party characters both by the fanbase and by the development team itself. If there is going to be one third-party newcomer, IT HAS to be Mega Man. Besides, I think many of us can recount stories of people confusing Mega Man for a Nintendo IP.

I think there is probably going to be much more interest in Medusa and Palutena when Kid Icarus Uprising (and the anime shorts for it) are released. It also seems that NeoGAF is comfortable with the idea of both K. Rool and Dixie Kong getting in this time. One thing I am surprising about is the low demand there is for a Mario newcomer (no character from that series exceeded four votes).

And I didnt even need to vote :lol Ridley and Little Mac NEED to be in the next smash, if not kittens will be killed. You hear me, Sakurai?
I would love a Punch-Out!! stage were the rival boxers go inside the ring and give some funny quotes and punches. Also the ropes could be use to do funny stuff. And the many various versions of the Punch-Out!! theme, just like in the wii game, with a new version done in the vein of Bill Conti's Rocky theme.
I would also like seeing King K Rool for villain roster.

Snakey

Regarding the lack of demand for Mario newcomers, the thing with Mario is that all the main players are already present, while you may look at things as just the 4 characters which seems a bit small for Nintendo's main series I do still lump Yoshi and Wario in with them at the end of the day, granted Wario has had further success away from Mario with Wario Ware so he stands further alone, Yoshi on the other hand might as well be part of the Mario lineup, just with his own symbol and victory theme. Hell one of his melee stages is a Mario series stage anyway (SMW Yoshi's Island).

I agree with your assessment, in the main Mario series the main cast is usually Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, and Yoshi, with Toad usually in a supporting NPC role or Bowser Jr. as a secondary antagonist since Sunshine. There are complaints that both of these two characters would be uninteresting by many as well.

For whatever its worth, I also saw little demand for a Mario newcomer on Japanese Smash Bros. message boards. I would personally like to see Toad, however, it seems that there is both little consensus on who the Mario newcomer should be as well as little interest in many fan corners.

I dunno guys. I really want Baby Mario. Maybe I'm just weird, but he's a big omission to me.

Baby Mario and Baby Luigi as a duo using partners in time style bros attacks wouldn't be that bad an addition, can't say i'd want the babies in though.
Plus PiT left a bad taste in my mouth, from Superstar Saga to that, yuck.

Vidiot

It's good to see the three characters I want the most (Ridley, Little Mac, and Megaman) are the three most popular choices. Gives me hope they'll actually get in. There are others I'd really like to see ( the two Kid Icarus ladies, K. Rool, Mewtwo, etc.) but if those top three get in I'll be pretty happy. This is assuming everyone from Brawl returns though.

fisheyes

What is this 12 characters thing supposed to be? Predicting what will happen or what you would like to happen? Because if its predicting what will happen, my god, most of you think the character additions to this will be the most boring things ever, and you're really ignoring Sakurai's tendancy to pull crazy shit like Captain Falcon, Mr Game & Watch and Snake out of nowhere. And if its what you would like in, then, again, you guys are boring as shit.

Yawn. All these lists are the same. Only real interesting out-there choice I've seen is the Karate Guy from Rhythm Heaven. I could get behind that, but only if he continues to look like a drawing.

YOU GUYS ARE BORING AS SHIT now why don't they add in a guy in a karate gi that can only punch and kick you never see that in fighting games

YOU GUYS ARE BORING AS SHIT now why don't they add in a guy in a karate gi that can only punch and kick you never see that in fighting games

Preorders will be off the scale when at E3 the new trailer appears and Karate Joe is the one and only newcomer, the trailer includes DK throwing a barrel at him only for Karate Joe to smash it open with a light punch and then spin kick the bob-omb conveniently inside back in DK's face, so true to his roots that it's fantastic.

Well Karate Man isn't even the most interesting Rhythm Heaven character, let alone that appropriate for a new fighter in a game where everybody can already punch and kick as a regular move. Why not Wrestler from the new game, assuming all the memetic videos surrounding him last until the game comes out?

EDIT: Wait, is it Karate 'man' or 'Joe'? I always assumed 'Man' since that's usually the name of his games in the series.

shaowebb

I just want Captain N for the next joke tier character beside ROB and Game and Watch. Screw Virtual Boy Spider-mech character ideas. Captain N in all his "pause" abusing, akuma-style shadow dashing, zapper popping, bad sound fx glory.

fisheyes

I don't see any other characters in Smash Bros that visually resemble a drawing and have a rhythm based moveset, where attacks are either enhanced or weakened by rhythmic button presses. There's potential there to be something rather different. Yes, in the worst case scenario, he's Ryu-lite, but I'm not thinking in the worst case scenario.

Or we could have Dixie Kong, who, even in the best scenario, where she is made as unique as possible is still going to be the third monkey character in the game, who will probably move around and use pretty similar moves to the already present Diddy Kong.

Snakey

Or we could have Dixie Kong, who, even in the best scenario, where she is made as unique as possible is still going to be the third monkey character in the game, who will probably move around and use pretty similar moves to the already present Diddy Kong.

Dixie Kong would be very unique though. She would have her huge pony-tail as a disjointed hitbox, and basically someone who would fight with three arms.

Also, most of the people that responded to that poll were putting a list up of characters they would LIKE to see playable in Smash 4.

I think there will probably be a stage and Assist Trophy based off of the Rhythm Heaven series.

I don't see any other characters in Smash Bros that visually resemble a drawing and have a rhythm based moveset
Not so sure about the first point, but ever played Elite Beat Agents/Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan? They'd lend themselves to a much more unique playstyle while still being rhythm based. A Rhythm Heaven rep would be neat, but you have to realize the irony of complaining about people having boring wishlists and then pointing to Karate Man as a beacon of originality.

Also I want K. Rool or Cranky over Dixie for the same reason you just gave so I'm not really going to argue with you there.

I don't see any other characters in Smash Bros that visually resemble a drawing and have a rhythm based moveset, where attacks are either enhanced or weakened by rhythmic button presses. There's potential there to be something rather different. Yes, in the worst case scenario, he's Ryu-lite, but I'm not thinking in the worst case scenario.

One of those monkey characters already has a rhythmic move, it's not too great, I can't see rhythm tying well into move sets outside of move chains like Marth's forward b. But hey i'd like Agent J from elite beat agents as a character taking down people with slick dance moves so you never know what could work.
Still I don't see how Dixie being a monkey automatically means she'd play like Diddy, Ike doesn't play like Marth who doesn't play like Metaknight and so on and all of them are swordsmen of some variety.

fisheyes

Not so sure about the first point, but ever played Elite Beat Agents/Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan? They'd lend themselves to a much more unique playstyle while still being rhythm based. A Rhythm Heaven rep would be neat, but you have to realize the irony of complaining about people having boring wishlists and then pointing to Karate Man as a beacon of originality.

Also I want K. Rool or Cranky over Dixie for the same reason you just gave so I'm not really going to argue with you there.

I'm actually with you there. In my character list I posted a few weeks back I actually included the Ouendan / Elite Beat Agents as a character because I thought they had a lot of potential to be interesting, and use a cool rhythm based moveset whilst visually being pretty out-there and different.

But Gaf, and the internet as a whole, rarely seem to want to think outside the box at all. All the lists are 90% the same. Yes, there are some - namely Little Mac, Ridley and Megaman, who I think should be in and thus deserve to be on most lists, but most of the other stuff is 'boring new Fire Emblem lord' and 'crappy Pokemon that was in a movie last year'.

I'll see if I can track down my old list. Its somewhat sarcastic, but I'd wager there's more 'out there' choices in my list than there was in the entirety of the last page.

Also I could get behind Cranky, if he hobbled around then pulled of some super crazy moves out of nowhere and constantly broke the third wall.

EDIT:
Ultimate character list:

Little Mac: Punches shit. Doc Louis hangs around in the background. As Mac fights more, he loses stamina/ gets weaker, pressing b down or something makes Doc come out and towel him down to increase him back to full strength
King K. Rool: Uses moves from all his different personas. Looks creepy.
Ridley: Too big? Pfft. He's awesome.
Tingle: Is basically his own franchise now. And is awesome. Can change forms - balloon form and fighting-dust-cloud-form. The first gives him greater recovery but makes him lighter, the latter increases his power but he can only jump once or something. I don't know. I'm not a game designer.
Ghirarim: Because he's faaaaaabulous
Jill: Its a little girl in a drill mech. Moveset writes itself.
Ouendan Group / Elite Beat Agents: Fight in a group. Hit attack buttons at the right time to increase damage. Unlock costumes of different teams.
Scraggy: New Pokemon rep. Fuck Zoroark. Can't run for too long or his pants fall down
Toad in a Mario Kart: Mario RPGs don't need a 'rep', but everybody loves Mario Kart. Drives around. Uses Mario Kart weapons for attacks. Can damage enemies by running them over by just moving into them. I dunno. Would be super interesting.
Tom Nook: In his suit from late in the AC games. Basically acts like a mob boss.
The dude from Fossil Fighters: Nobody knows who he is - myself included - and I don't care. I want a character that rides a big ol' T-Rex. So he gets in. Good for him.
Glass Joe: Game's joke character. Possibly a Little Mac clone but without the Doc Louis gimmick, or maybe his own character. Either way, he's weak.

Megaman: Makes sense. But wait its Capcom so.... Megaman's dog.
Slime: Nintendo loves Dragon Quest, Dragon Quest loves Nintendo. Match made in heaven.
Pacman: I dunno, why not?

I win.

illadelph

Ahh man, when I made my list I forgot that I wanted Starman from Pro Wrestling. That guy deserves a comeback. A grappling character would be an interesting addition to the roster.

Codeblue

I'm actually with you there. In my character list I posted a few weeks back I actually included the Ouendan / Elite Beat Agents as a character because I thought they had a lot of potential to be interesting, and use a cool rhythm based moveset whilst visually being pretty out-there and different.

But Gaf, and the internet as a whole, rarely seem to want to think outside the box at all. All the lists are 90% the same. Yes, there are some - namely Little Mac, Ridley and Megaman, who I think should be in and thus deserve to be on most lists, but most of the other stuff is 'boring new Fire Emblem lord' and 'crappy Pokemon that was in a movie last year'.

I'll see if I can track down my old list. Its somewhat sarcastic, but I'd wager there's more 'out there' choices in my list than there was in the entirety of the last page.

Also I could get behind Cranky, if he hobbled around then pulled of some super crazy moves out of nowhere and constantly broke the third wall.

We'll find out how boring Chrome is in a few months.

This game is pretty much about fan service, so all these lists are people hoping for their favorite characters not who they think would make the most varied roster.

Also, for certain fans Smash is the only place they're ever going to see these characters again since they won't be appearing in any original games. So I think it's understandable why people would want discarded characters like an FE Lord, Mother party member, or Megaman.

illadelph

Also, for certain fans Smash is the only place they're ever going to see these characters again since they won't be appearing in any original games. So I think it's understandable why people would want discarded characters like an FE Lord, Mother party member, or Megaman.
This is why some people want Geno

Vidiot

Who cares if the lists are boring. Obviously it's more important to most people that characters they like get in over unexpected, out of left field choices.

KevinCow

Banned
There's no way either game is coming out this year, but I'd place money on a CG trailer at E3.

I'll also guess that it'll reveal Ridley and Mega Man.

Snakey

Who cares if the lists are boring. Obviously it's more important to most people that characters they like get in over unexpected, out of left field choices.

Prior to Brawl, a character like Saki would have been considered "unexpected". However, through being an Assist Trophy in Brawl (as well as people playing the Virtual Console release for Sin & Punishment) he is less obscure than he used to be, and actually has sizable fanbase for Smash Bros. playable status.

At this point there are very few big actors left for Nintendo's veteran series that are not yet playable. The only ones that really stand out are Ridley, K. Rool, and Dixie Kong. I would also say that F-Zero really needs to have a second character (either Black Shadow or Samurai Goroh would do). The Kid Icarus goddesses might also have the potential to be notable veteran series addition depending on how well Uprising is received.

Other than that, perhaps Sakurai should be perhaps a bit more liberal in regards to giving unrepped Nintendo series a playable character. There are obvious ones like Little Mac from Punch-Out. However, he has others he can choose from such as Miis, Nazo no Murasame (though that counts more as a retro release), Sin & Punishment, Legendary Starfy, and Golden Sun. Not to mention there is the possibility that Miyamoto's/EAD's new IP offers the potential for a new series newcomer.

fisheyes

We'll find out how boring Chrome is in a few months.

This game is pretty much about fan service, so all these lists are people hoping for their favorite characters not who they think would make the most varied roster.

Yeah, thats obviously where the difference lies. I don't care so much about fan service, I would rather see the most varied, fun-to-play set of characters possible. If that meant 12 new Pokemon as the only characters or something, then I'd be fine with that.

I think Smash Bros has always done a good job balancing the two, but I think most Smash Bros fans fall on the side of 'must have this character because I like them' too much. Whereas I personally go for the opposite - such as in Brawl, I love Pokemon, and specifically the Squirtle line, so I enjoyed seeing that he was in and choosing him from time to time, but as a Smash character, I much prefer Lucas, even though I've never touched any Mother game in my life, and, before him, Kirby, though the first Kirby game I played wasn't until the DS.

Ah well. Whatever.

JazzmanZ

Man all these lists and no chibi-robo.

I think it's time to convince some yokels how Cheebo is a great idea.

WHO IS CHIBI-ROBO?

272819-qpxxperbfl_large.jpg

Chibi-robo or Cheebo is a little robot designed to help around the house, basically it's Snow white if she were a miniature robot and was on cleaning mode all day everyday. It has it's own mega buster, can fly like inspector gadget and turns into a ghost (via a little costume)
It also has a little pal named Telly who is a flying talking tv robot thing.

He's appeared in 3 games so far, One for the Gamecube simply known as Chibi-robo, and two for the DS (one which was never released state side!)

Chibi_Robo.jpg

WHAT CAN THE LITTLE ROBOT DO?

image432.png

As Mentioned, Cheebo can clean, fly and shoot, there's already potential in there for a unique move set, some assorted things Chibi can do includes:

-Mega buster like gun (with charge shot)
-using the toothbrush as a weapon or to create a slippery trap
-The spoon to create a pitfall like trap
-His little copter wings to fly of course
-The Vacuum that could be used to air blast or used as an attack
-Did I mention it also has a giant plug behind him? that can be used like a ball and chain!
-and even throw garbage he puts into his tiny head.

WHY SHOULD I CARE ABOUT THIS STUPID ROBOT OVER RIDLEY OR BABY MARIO?

You don't! But Chibi-Robo would be a unique character for Smash and would represent a new series much like other needed D-list tier Nintendo series such as Custom robo, Golden sun and Sin and Punishment.

I don't really see any reason for Chibi-robo not to appear as a possible character honestly (Doesn't mean he will be)

In Short, Chibi-robo would be a great character to represent a Nintendo series thats forgotten, and would of stayed that way had Miyamoto himself not revive the original Chibi robo concept!

Yeah, thats obviously where the difference lies. I don't care so much about fan service, I would rather see the most varied, fun-to-play set of characters possible. If that meant 12 new Pokemon as the only characters or something, then I'd be fine with that.

I think Smash Bros has always done a good job balancing the two, but I think most Smash Bros fans fall on the side of 'must have this character because I like them' too much. Whereas I personally go for the opposite - such as in Brawl, I love Pokemon, and specifically the Squirtle line, so I enjoyed seeing that he was in and choosing him from time to time, but as a Smash character, I much prefer Lucas, even though I've never touched any Mother game in my life, and, before him, Kirby, though the first Kirby game I played wasn't until the DS.

Ah well. Whatever.
I also count myself in the group that goes the other way mostly.
My list is normally just characters I think are interesting and would add visual diversity to the cast well still being somewhat important to their games (Characters like female Captains or tiny lil girl duo Ninjas . Staff uses, Mage warriors and so on). I think that's how a lot of fans start out .... just wanting some cool characters that are fun to look at and play as.

I'll throw in my two cents.

1) King K Rool
2) Knuckles
3) 9-volt (Warioware)
4) Mewtwo
5) Little Mac
6) Admiral Bobbery (Paper Mario)
7) Tom Nook
8) Toad
9) Samurai Goroh
10) Bowser Jr.
11) Professor E. Gadd
12) Mega Man

I don't personally have much interest in Mega Man, but I'm trying to think of characters that could be revealed at E3 that would provide for the kind of "holy shit!" reaction Nintendo is going for and he's really the only one. As I made this list, I actually realized that there really aren't many characters that I'm all that interested in seeing that aren't already in Brawl. After number 6 I was kind of struggling to think of people that would genuinely make good additions.

I'll also say that SSB4 should have alt costumes with different weights/speeds as a way to bring back Doctor Mario and Pichu without having to use another character slot.

SmithnCo

Have there been any rumours about the 3DS Smash Bros? I'm hoping for a E3 2012 reveal with a fall 2012 release.

Way too early, I'm thinking they'll both have a 2014 release. We'll probably get a teaser at E3 2012 with a logo and maybe name reveal, with some character models if we're lucky.

I do wonder if they will space out the releases of the 3DS and WiiU versions or go for a simultaneous release though, but if they are developed in parallel they should release pretty close together.

I'll also say that SSB4 should have alt costumes with different weights/speeds as a way to bring back Doctor Mario and Pichu without having to use another character slot.

If they aren't the same as the original character, then aren't they basically "taking up a character slot" anyway? What makes your suggestion different from Dr. Mario in Melee aside from how he appears on the character select screen?

I'm not calling you out specifically, but I've seen this argument before and it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Codeblue

Ah well. Whatever.

I owe my enjoyment of Fire Emblem to Melee shining a spotlight on Marth and Roy, so I definitely understand why it doesn't need to be the most obvious and safe characters filling out the whole thing.

spanks

Chibi-robo stuff

Chibi-robo would be so worth it just for his level (oversized bedroom, of course).

By the by, what do you guys think of the news that Nintendo wants to revive old third party series? If they funded games like:
Skies of Arcadia
Power Stone
Chrono 3
Megaman
Bomberman
Banjo
Would they be more likely to get representation in SSB4?

JazzmanZ

Chibi-robo would be so worth it just for his level (oversized bedroom, of course).

By the by, what do you guys think of the news that Nintendo wants to revive old third party series? If they funded games like:
Skies of Arcadia
Power Stone
Chrono 3
Megaman
Bomberman
Banjo
Would they be more likely to get representation in SSB4?

Nope!
I don't know where you get the idea Nintendo would help rare bring Banjo back, the only 3rd party characters that will get in are the most demanded or company requests.

In this case there is going to be a Capcom character either Megaman or Ryu who will make it.

leroidys

Man all these lists and no chibi-robo.

I think it's time to convince some yokels how Cheebo is a great idea.

WHO IS CHIBI-ROBO?

Chibi-robo or Cheebo is a little robot designed to help around the house, basically it's Snow white if she were a miniature robot and was on cleaning mode all day everyday. It has it's own mega buster, can fly like inspector gadget and turns into a ghost (via a little costume)
It also has a little pal named Telly who is a flying talking tv robot thing.

He's appeared in 3 games so far, One for the Gamecube simply known as Chibi-robo, and two for the DS (one which was never released state side!)

Chibi_Robo.jpg

WHAT CAN THE LITTLE ROBOT DO?

image432.png

As Mentioned, Cheebo can clean, fly and shoot, there's already potential in there for a unique move set, some assorted things Chibi can do includes:

-Mega buster like gun (with charge shot)
-using the toothbrush as a weapon or to create a slippery trap
-The spoon to create a pitfall like trap
-His little copter wings to fly of course
-The Vacuum that could be used to air blast or used as an attack
-Did I mention it also has a giant plug behind him? that can be used like a ball and chain!
-and even throw garbage he puts into his tiny head.

WHY SHOULD I CARE ABOUT THIS STUPID ROBOT OVER RIDLEY OR BABY MARIO?

You don't! But Chibi-Robo would be a unique character for Smash and would represent a new series much like other needed D-list tier Nintendo series such as Custom robo, Golden sun and Sin and Punishment.

I don't really see any reason for Chibi-robo not to appear as a possible character honestly (Doesn't mean he will be)

In Short, Chibi-robo would be a great character to represent a Nintendo series thats forgotten, and would of stayed that way had Miyamoto himself not revive the original Chibi robo concept!

chibi robo was in my post. giant picture and all...

GamerSoul

OK, finally got my internet working …damn hotel connection >_>

She used Wario to get what she wanted.
"In Wario Land: Shake It!, Captain Syrup observes the crisis of the Shake Dimension inside the Ancient Globe and finds out the existence of the Bottomless Coin Sack, possessed by the evil Shake King. Desiring the treasure but not wanting to get it herself, she steals the Ancient Globe and gives it to Wario, who travels to the dimension to get the sack for himself. Captain Syrup's role in the game is to sell Wario maps of continents after he defeats a boss. At the end of the game, Wario takes the Bottomless Coin Sack for himself, but Captain Syrup takes it while he's not looking and runs off."

Their relationship is pretty much them screwing over each other because they're both equally greedy mofos. So she sends Wario on a mission (this game's whole set up) so that she can take this treasure for herself. That's actually a pretty sweet con ... not only did he do all the dirty work for her but she had a con laid OVER that with him having to buy stuff from her to get the thing that she would later left off him.

As for the way she fights ... that only gives her more options IMO. Having her tap into the powers of these machines and stuff or simply use them is pretty expected. Hell, that's how Zelda got her move-set ...

Nice write up. It also doesn't help that she was basically the 1st female antagonist in the extended Marioverse. In the end she would be a nice surprise no matter the chances.

I owe my enjoyment of Fire Emblem to Melee shining a spotlight on Marth and Roy, so I definitely understand why it doesn't need to be the most obvious and safe characters filling out the whole thing.

Same here, I since got a chance to play every FE game that has come stateside. I played the crap out of FE7,FE8 and FE9, played and beat the remake with Marth on the DS and played some of the Wii one. Only good can come out of the exposure this game gives to in characters.

HOLY SHIT GUYS AN ACTUAL UPDATE

(Don't get too excited, though)

Heh. Even he's in awe of the the craziness he created with the dojo. Seriously, I can't even look at the Dojo site anymore.

Tyeforce

Well Karate Man isn't even the most interesting Rhythm Heaven character, let alone that appropriate for a new fighter in a game where everybody can already punch and kick as a regular move. Why not Wrestler from the new game, assuming all the memetic videos surrounding him last until the game comes out?

EDIT: Wait, is it Karate 'man' or 'Joe'? I always assumed 'Man' since that's usually the name of his games in the series.
Karate Joe (yes, his name is Karate Joe, his game is called Karate Man) is the best character to represent the Rhythm Heaven franchise because he's been in all three games. While I agree the Wrestler from Rhythm Heaven Fever would be great, he's not nearly as important to the series as Karate Joe is.

Poyunch

Come on guys think logically. Rhythm Heaven isn't going to get a character. A stage or Assist Trophy probably but there's no one character that has consistency enough to represent the series. It goes against the whole point of Rhythm Heaven games to have a character that has multiple moves. Rhythm Heaven is about simple and sometimes single input game interaction.

JazzmanZ

Yeah it's not like we'll ever see characters such as Captain falcon, R.O.B or something from the Game and watch games nintendo made, let's be reasonable here :rollseyes:

?oe?oe

I'll bite:

1. Kamek (Yoshi series)
LbVZ8.jpg

2. Medusa (Kid Icarus series)
1408272-medusa.png

3. Tingle (Zelda series)
235559-tingle_large.jpg

4. Ray MK (Custom Robo series)
CustomRoboAT.jpg

5. Chibi Robo (Chibi Robo series)

6. Isaac (Golden Sun series)
9PgPg.jpg

7. Jimmy T (Wario(ware) series)
952475-jimmyt01_large.png

8. Saki (Sin & Punishment series)
assist12_071122a.jpg

9. Shy Guy (Mario series)
images

10. Kensuke Kimachi (1080 series)
KensukeKimachi.jpg

11. Mr. Stevenson (Gumshoe)
gumshoe-nes-box-art.jpg

12. Zack (Zack and Wiki)
lahfkjshgfhsdkgyfiurhygiuhsauikhsdfihsirag.jpg

FUCK YEAH!

shaowebb

My top list of Nintendo Cast I want added

• Lil Mac (Punch Out)
  • Dark Samus (Metroid Prime series. Faster melee style Samus w/ different weapons, Akuma dashes, and invisibility? Hell yes.)
  • Captain N (from tv series as the new joke character)
  • Kranky Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
  • Prince Fluff (Kirby's Epic Yarn)
  • Starfy (Legend of Starfy Series)
  • Pokemon Trainer Blue aka Pokemon Rival( Pokemon )
  • Groose (Zelda Skyward Sword)
  • Mii (Wii console avatar. Customizable look baby)
  • Bisharp (Pokemon Black and White. May as well replace Lucario this time too)
  • KK Slider (Animal Crossing)
  • Rosalina w co-star luma (Mario Galaxy series)
  • Porky (Mother series)
  • Isaac (Golden Sun)
  • Saki (Sin and Punishment)
My top list of 3rd party I want added due to dealings with Konami, Square Enix, and Capcom lately

• Geno (Super Mario RPG)
  • King Slime (Dragon Quest/Fortune Street)
  • Raiden (Metal Gear Solid)
  • Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors)
  • Nobunaga (Samurai Warriors)
  • Simon Belmont (Castlevania)
  • Alucard (Castlevania)
  • Mega Man (Mega Man)
  • Ryu ( Street Fighter. For the lol factor)

I'm keeping it festive in here with lots of variety potential to movesets with my picks. Dark Samus is the only one I see as simlar to anyone, but without ball form, grapple beam or bombs like Samus that'd force the character to pretty much speed up a lot and go for more melee and mobility stuff. Hate all you want but Ganondorf is a grappler and Captain Falcon is not for me so this is enough of a difference to mean a LOT for me as an alternative to Samus since she slowed down and got saddled with Zero suit form if you end up resorting to Smashball matches ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom