• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 10 |OT| Google's 10-inch tablet developed by Samsung

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yeah i have, and i think the 4:3 is crap. 16:9 is the way to go. Dont tell me you use a 4:3 on your desktopcomputer?

How does a desktop computer compare to a laptop? They are two very different uses. You can't compare them.

Trouble

Banned
Image from The Verge review.

n0fsI.jpg
cxwYv.gif

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Remember those people who thought this tablet would be $300? I knew $400 would be the cheapest yet still reasonable price.

Remember those people who thought this tablet would be $300? I knew $400 would be the cheapest yet still reasonable price.

i remember seeing people talk about $300 and $330 and $350 and it took all of my power to no just straight up click reply, type "stop smoking fucking crack guys, it's $400 minimum" and then submit.

After the reviews I am wavering as whether to get this or an iPad.
I'm mostly going to be using this for browsing. Do some of you actively not like browsing in a 15:10 screen or would you say it's just takes a little getting used to?
Also is Engadget's the only review to mention the contrast on the screen being poor? I haven't heard anyone else mention that.

As an iPad owner, I'm really jealous of those front facing speakers.

I watch a lot of TV series in bed and always have to put one hand behind the speaker to make the sound actually audible. Or wearing headphones.

coopolon

That Engadget review is harsh, but I have to say unlike the Nexus 7 where I'd easily recommend it over the other 7"-8" tablets, I don't know if I'd do the same for this over the other 10" tablets on the market. I guess we'll see.

How would you compare it to other tablets on the market? Which would you recommend over the Nexus 10? I guess ipad is the obvious answer, but I'm more interested in comparisons to other android tablets.

As someone who doesn't want any part of the Apple eco system I was hoping this would be the device for me and my tablet needs..... however, when there is only 2 pages about it on GAF you have to think the hype has failed and the device is terrible?! :/

Totakeke

I don't see any reason you'd want to get any other android tablet aside from wanting a keyboard dock, price, 3g/4g or design preferences.

Android tablets still lack tablet apps but that's less of a problem for 7". 10" Android tablets were never really popular in the market anyway.

zbeeb

As someone who doesn't want any part of the Apple eco system I was hoping this would be the device for me and my tablet needs..... however, when there is only 2 pages about it on GAF you have to think the hype has failed and the device is terrible?! :/

That's a very unique thought process you have there

I watch a lot of TV series in bed and always have to put one hand behind the speaker to make the sound actually audible. Or wearing headphones.

I use my girlfriends iPad 3 for the same thing and yeah, I do the same thing as you lol. I hate the speaker placement on that thing.

Jeff-DSA

The OT just went up last night. There are pages of hype and discussion about this in the announcement thread.

Its by far and away the best Android tablet on the market. The lack of genuine tablet apps makes Android a poor platform for 10" tablets atm, but there's nothing to complain about the hardware that Google has delivered for the price.

Its by far and away the best Android tablet on the market. The lack of genuine tablet apps makes Android a poor platform for 10" tablets atm, but there's nothing to complain about the hardware that Google has delivered for the price.

This sums up my opinion on the matter. Looks like a great tablet for web browsing and netflix, but a poor tablet if you are interested in third party applications. It will be interesting to watch that change by next year as developers slowly embrace the platform.

Im torn between this and the iPad 4. I got my girlfriend the mini a couple days ago, and part of me feels that it would be redundant to get the 4 when I can simply use any app i want on her mini. Also I love the OS for android much more. The reason I am unsure about getting the nexus 10 is simply for two reasons:

1. Resale value, android product tend to not sell well after a year whereas ipad products keep their value which means if I want to sell my tablet to get a better one im more likely to recoup my money with iPad not with the nexus.

2. Apps. I love Google music more than iTunes, I love the gmail app more than apples app, Google maps is better and the OS is simply much more tablet friendly. However, some apps Id love to use for artistic purposes on the iPad (garageband, beatmaker, procreate, fl studio, iPhoto, iMovie, script apps) dont seem to have a decent alternative on google play. I feel like id be buying this for web, netflix, hbogo, hulu and music.

decisions decisions, anyone care to help?

Bboy AJ

Nexus devices hold their value alright. Certainly not like Apple stuff but better than other Android stuff.

Does anyone know how long it took HMV to stock to N7 after the official google play store release? I can save £25 if I get the N10 from them but I don't want to wait 3-4 to get it.

Does anyone know how long it took HMV to stock to N7 after the official google play store release? I can save £25 if I get the N10 from them but I don't want to wait 3-4 to get it.

They took a while, from what I remember of the Nexus 7. That said, this time round Google seems to be on the ball, since both HMV and GAME are offering the new iteration of the Nexus 7 already. Time will tell, I guess.

I'm guessing the Nexus 10 will be distributed better than the 7 because Google Play isn't taking preorders this time. I had also read Walmart was to be selling 32GB models.

Meh, we'll see.

Jeff-DSA

I'm guessing the Nexus 10 will be distributed better than the 7 because Google Play isn't taking preorders this time. I had also read Walmart was to be selling 32GB models.

Meh, we'll see.

I hope. If Walmart has the 32GB on day one, I'll get it there because I have a gift card that I need to use. If not, I'll go wherever the 32GB is sold.

I think Im going to go with the iPad 4 and then see how the nexus 10 fares, worst case, ill sell the 4 and grab the nexus 10 down the line. But man ill miss that OS.

rabhw

What size is everyone getting? 100 bucks for an extra 16gb is a ridiculous premium but I feel I might regret it if I start running out of space on only 16gb...

Getting the smaller size WOULD leave some budget for accessories if they ever come out.

I really hope it's not a complete mess ordering from Play store like it was for the N7.

What size is everyone getting? 100 bucks for an extra 16gb is a ridiculous premium but I feel I might regret it if I start running out of space on only 16gb...

Getting the smaller size WOULD leave some budget for accessories if they ever come out.

I really hope it's not a complete mess ordering from Play store like it was for the N7.

What would you keep on your tablet?

maeh2k

Nexus devices hold their value alright. Certainly not like Apple stuff but better than other Android stuff.

You might be right about the current line of Nexus products. Since they are basically sold at cost or close to that the retail price should remain pretty much constant (with the exception of possible storage upgrades like with the Nexus 7).
However, the Galaxy Nexus didn't hold its value at all. Half a year after it launched you could buy it new for 60% of its original price. From that point on it was cheaper than the Galaxy S2 even though that one was originally 100 bucks cheaper than the Galaxy Nexus.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english

16GB. I'll use a MicroUSB adapter if I need more storage. Won't look too odd hanging around a 10" tablet.

Edit: This will be my setup if I can find the parts online: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shf0XUCuhAg&feature=g-hist

Found one of them:

Micro USB mini-reader: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Micro-SD...Readers_USB_Host_Adapters&hash=item53efc9a35a

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
How would you compare it to other tablets on the market? Which would you recommend over the Nexus 10? I guess ipad is the obvious answer, but I'm more interested in comparisons to other android tablets.

Well iPad for now, but I doubt we'll see another Nexus 10 before the Microsoft Surface Pro is out with full Windows 8 Pro on it so there's that as well. I'm not sure if I'd recommend another Android tablet over this, but Engadget was saying they'd recommend people take a look at the ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700, though I'm not sure if they're really being fair. That's why I said we'll see.

To me the customization of Android and purposes of a 7"-8" tablet makes the Nexus 7 the best of its class right now, but I wouldn't say the same thing about the Nexus 10 because unlike the market for that size and price there's more competition here. Once I start thinking about what I will probably use a 10" tablet over a 7" for, other things start to become important to take under consideration for me personally, like the amount of apps available and what reviews and impressions are saying about the hardware. I don't mind paying more for a better value here.

Jeff-DSA

The Engadget review had me looking at the Transformer Pad Infinity TF700, but they seem like the outlying opinion on that. More importantly, the software updates will be most timely on the N10; something I've been used to enjoying with my Xoom. I love having the most current Android build at all times.

The Engadget review had me looking at the Transformer Pad Infinity TF700, but they seem like the outlying opinion on that. More importantly, the software updates will be most timely on the N10; something I've been used to enjoying with my Xoom. I love having the most current Android build at all times.

The Transformer Pad Infinity definitely has a sleeker design, but that's the only advantage it has over the N10.

Engadget is full of shit.

So much want. I'm probably gonna get 32GB just to future proof my purchase for when apps tailored at the high resolution start to come out.

Quick question: using roots or ROMs, it is possible to access Amazon Prime content on Android, right? I want to be able to watch all my media on that amazing display.

Bowdz

I've been mulling over picking this up as my first foray into the tablet scene. I didn't really follow the N7 release that closely, but heard there were some issues with early N7's. Should I wait to pick this up or go for it on the 13th?

I use my girlfriends iPad 3 for the same thing and yeah, I do the same thing as you lol. I hate the speaker placement on that thing.

As a Galaxy Note 10.1 owner, I can tell you that those forward facing speakers are completely awesome.

Jeff-DSA

The forward facing speakers are a big deal to me. I hate cupping my hands behind my Xoom just to make watching videos worthwhile.

Sky Chief

After the reviews I am wavering as whether to get this or an iPad.
I'm mostly going to be using this for browsing. Do some of you actively not like browsing in a 15:10 screen or would you say it's just takes a little getting used to?
Also is Engadget's the only review to mention the contrast on the screen being poor? I haven't heard anyone else mention that.

I am in the same boat, all of the apps that I use are available in tablet versions on Android except for DirecTV and I have a Galaxy Nexus and use pretty much every Google service. I use my iPad a lot but almost exclusively for web browsing and I really enjoy Chrome on my phone and dislike how Safari is limited to only nine tabs.

Has anyone read a review that specifically talks about the web browsing experience in some detail or specifically compares the N10 Chrome experience to Safari?

tokkun

Since there have been a lot of comments about the aspect ratio, here are a few thoughts on the relative tradeoffs of the Nexus 10 (16:10) versus the iPad (4:3) for common media consumption:

Web browsing - 16:10 is a pretty common aspect ratio for laptops and monitors made more than a few years ago, so you are probably already familiar with what it looks like. I think 4:3 is a better ratio for both portrait and landscape viewing, and there is also the issue that websites who have a tablet-specific site are going to be optimized around the iPad.

Reading books/PDFs - The standard US Letter (8.5 x 11") paper is just slightly less than 4:3, which means that most PDFs will fit better on 4:3 and books will look more natural in portrait mode. However, if you prefer to read in landscape mode with dual-page view, 16:10 aspect ratio is very similar to what you would get with two side-by-side Letter pages. For the international A4 standard, the aspect ratio is taller, giving no real advantage to either 4:3 or 16:10, as it falls between the two.

Reading comics - This is basically the reverse of the books discussion. Both US and Japanese comics usually have an aspect ratio of 1:1.5. This makes 16:10 a very good size for portrait reading. For dual-page reading in landscape mode, the ratio is perfect for 4:3.

Watching video
- This one is pretty straight-forward. If you want to watch older TV shows, then 4:3 is perfect. If you want to watch movies or TV shows made within the last 5 years, 16:10 will be a lot better.

Games - In theory 16:10 is better for porting assets from games on consoles, but iOS has a better game scene currently, so that's kind of a wash.

Just been in the O2 shop and they have some good deals for people getting the Nexus 7 and an android phone. I wonder if they have any plans to do something similar with the N4 and N10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom