• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

Kanokare

Some of my apps like Skype and Steam, I'd have them logged in but after some minutes of being idle in sleep mode the programs stop running in the background and I wouldn't get the latest messages unless I tab back to the programs. Is there a way to keep them running without having to do so?

Anybody here ever encounter the issue of the screen failing to auto rotate despite the setting being on? Rebooting the phone solves the issue temporarily but right now my phone has only stayed on for ~50 hrs and it has resurfaced again. Making a YT vid full screen can force the phone into landscape mode but that's a hassle each time I want to change modes without rebooting the phone.

Not sure if this is a hardware or software issue.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Anybody here ever encounter the issue of the screen failing to auto rotate despite the setting being on? Rebooting the phone solves the issue temporarily but right now my phone has only stayed on for ~50 hrs and it has resurfaced again. Making a YT vid full screen can force the phone into landscape mode but that's a hassle each time I want to change modes without rebooting the phone.

Recently, mine doesn't rotate correctly in Chrome sometimes. I think it happens when I have a tab open in one orientation, change tabs, rotate the phone, switch back to the other tab, and doesn't display right. If I'm holding the phone horizontally it will only show the leftmost 1080 lines of pixels and the rest of them on the right side will just be black. Have to flip the phone around for it to fix itself.

Definitely a software issue, not sure if it is the OS or Chrome.

Yes, I've has this issue while using youtube a couple of times. Rebooting fixed it like you said.

Moff

My 4g does not work anymore, it has an exclamation mark next to the mobile network. wifi and phone calls work, but no mobile internet.
is that a known issue? is my phone done?

it would match, because its more or less 2 years after I bought it, my SO's nexus 4 broke exactly 2 years after buying, too.

Sch1sm

Is the Nexus 5 still worth buying?

It still runs fine, it'll still be supported for another 2 years. It'll be behind the times, though. We have another Nexus devices coming out later this year, so. I'd say it's better to wait for the refresh/new device, or pick up the N6.

Revoh

It still runs fine, it'll still be supported for another 2 years. It'll be behind the times, though. We have another Nexus devices coming out later this year, so. I'd say it's better to wait for the refresh/new device, or pick up the N6.

Thanks. The thing is, I can only spend around 350$. What other phone in that price range is worth buying? I seriously don't know anything about Android now, I've been an iPhone user for the last couple years, this phone is going to be for my mother.

Lexxism

Thanks. The thing is, I can only spend around 350$. What other phone in that price range is worth buying? I seriously don't know anything about Android now, I've been an iPhone user for the last couple years, this phone is going to be for my mother.
How about OnePlus One? It has a 5.5" screen and has better specs than Nexus 5 for 299 (64GB). 249 for 16GB. https://oneplus.net/one

lunchtoast

Screen cracked yesterday when I was on a roller coaster. Ordered an OEM screen off ebay but won't be here till fri/sat. Might check out a local repair place today but looks they'll charge around 110 to replace. I paid about 40 for screen/tools so I'll probably just wait and do it myself. Anyone replaced a screen?

In the meantime, setting up my old galaxy nexus for wifi use so I can listen to podcasts/text for the week.

My Nexus 5 battery started to drain quickly in the past 24 hours, I investigated and it says in the battery info the GPS was on...except I have Location set to be off (as almost always, including all the past week). A bit worrying.

The GPS stopped when battery saving mode kicked in at 15% in the night. I rebooted and the battery info shows it isn't using GPS now.

Zoe

I had a problem with my GPS constantly running one time. Turned out to be the The Weather Channel app, and I had to reset all my settings in there to get it to stop constantly polling the GPS.

I had a problem with my GPS constantly running one time. Turned out to be the The Weather Channel app, and I had to reset all my settings in there to get it to stop constantly polling the GPS.
I see. I didn't mention that Google Maps showed a high percentage of use despite me not using it, and it seems better now. Thank you.

lunchtoast

Replaced screen, and also audio jack. Now the earpiece isn't working, something must have happened when I first took it out so ordered another one.

Battery is still shit, but might be worse than before. Running on latest lollipop...in airplane mode just listening to podcasts and it's giving me est 6 hours before battery is dead. Was nowhere near this bad on kit kat.

There's no way lollipop can be this bad. Might buy a replacement battery, less than 10 bucks.

Sch1sm

Replaced screen, and also audio jack. Now the earpiece isn't working, something must have happened when I first took it out so ordered another one.

Battery is still shit, but might be worse than before. Running on latest lollipop...in airplane mode just listening to podcasts and it's giving me est 6 hours before battery is dead. Was nowhere near this bad on kit kat.

There's no way lollipop can be this bad. Might buy a replacement battery, less than 10 bucks.

It is that bad. I think I get somewhere between 2-3.5 hours of SoT, the higher end rare as is, average about 2.5. I charge multiple times a day at this point as a power user.

Standby time has drastically improved on Android M, at least.

lunchtoast

Well I replaced the earpiece and still won't work. The connections are touching so it might be a software issue? I don't make a lot of calls but still kinda annoying to always use speakerphone.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Did the update improve battery life for anyone else? Mine had gotten noticeably worse, but was much better today. First full day of use since the update. Maybe it was coincidence and was just a lucky day for battery life, or maybe it is actually better now.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Guess it was just that one day, battery life is still terrible. I don't really understand what's going on with it though. In the battery stats the total usage only adds up to 42%, but I'm at 15% battery life left. No matter how it's reporting usage, something seems way off.

EmiPrime

Guess it was just that one day, battery life is still terrible. I don't really understand what's going on with it though. In the battery stats the total usage only adds up to 42%, but I'm at 15% battery life left. No matter how it's reporting usage, something seems way off.

You really should try the M preview. It fixes the bad battery life on lollipop.

Anybody have issues with cracking on the side of their N5? I've been quite careful with my 1.5 year phone but I just noticed a tiny crack develop next to SIM card slot.

I've got a crack from the front of the bezel to the volume down side of the button, and a crack from the front of the bezel to the SIM ejector hole. But I only just noticed them now that you said you had some cracks.

Mortemis

Banned
Anybody have issues with cracking on the side of their N5? I've been quite careful with my 1.5 year phone but I just noticed a tiny crack develop next to SIM card slot.

I've got a crack from the front of the bezel to the volume down side of the button, and a crack from the front of the bezel to the SIM ejector hole. But I only just noticed them now that you said you had some cracks.

Yeah, its definitely common. I've got a crack in the same exact spot, right next to the sim ejector.

I'm about at my wits end with my Nexus 5. I bought mine in March 2014, and suddenly while I was on vacation last week it started acting wonky. Seriously. I had zero problems with this phone until then.

I always charge my phone at night when I go to bed. I woke up one morning and the phone was powered off. I tried to turn it on. Nothing. After attempting to turn it on about 5 times, it finally powered on. Next, my google keyboard wouldn't work. I kept getting an error message when I would try and either type a text message or use the google search. I was about 3 updates behind, and freaked out (because I know nothing about cell phones). I ended up taking it to a T-Mobile store to try and figure out what was wrong. The tech reinforced the fact that my phone was currently up to date so he ended up installing all the updates to their most recent one (lollipop something). The keyboard still wasn't working, so we then we tried clearing the cache and that worked.

Meanwhile, since then my phone continues to randomly shut off (even when it's on the damn charger). When it shuts off it either decides to immediately reboot or it does that weird thing where it takes me several minutes and tries to get the damn thing to turn back on. I tried pretty much charging it throughout the day, went to bed with the battery charged to 100%, powered off the phone, and then woke up less than 7 hours later to a phone with 5% battery left after I powered it back on.

I'm going to try a factory reset tonight and if my phone keeps randomly powering down and restarting it's going to take everything in my power to not chuck that thing out of a damn window.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
After a much-needed factory reset, my Nexus 5 is actually quite nice to use again!

Also I have the same two cracks next to the SIM and the volume...

Wag

I am not going audio notification for any incoming SMS message, ever. That's in any SMS app I've installed. I can't get custom ringtones to work either. I don't know why. I think I've tried everything. I have the latest updates installed. Resetting is my last option.

Gandalf

Ever since I've installed 5.1.1 my phone has been laggy... And this is something I've not had before with this phone. Happens when I'm typing sometimes, like on WhatsApp. Anyone else having an issue like this?

Ty4on

Not yet. If that's my only option then I will. Annoying really.

Stuff can get messed up over time. The flash memory could also be working overtime to keep a messy file system running. Flash memory can only delete individual blocks (which are quite big) so when it is close to full the controller has to juggle a lot of files.

The day you spent factory resetting will probably be worth it so I'd go for it (after backing up your files ofc).

Gandalf

OK thanks guys. Makes sense now. Perhaps I'll clean up the phone a bit, deleting unnecessary files, and restart it and see if that helps.

Burbeting

Banned
Hi guys, I have had the Nexus 5 for 1.5 years now. I really like it, but for the last few weeks, the phone has started to crash. Like, a lot, around 3-5 times a day at least. It crashes at random moments of the day, usually when I try to start up some app. Usually when I try to restart it, the phone tries to go on, sometimes success, but more than likely will just crash again. The problem is fixed by putting the phone on a charger, and then put on again. After that it will work again... for 1 to 3 hours until it crashes again. It never crashes if I use it on charger though.

I don't think it's a battery issue either though, because it can do this even if it like 95% charged, and when it finally turns back on, it says again 95%. When I do check the battery consuption, the phone says that it had 0% battery during the down-time.

The issue is really frustrating me out, and I don't know what to do..

Lulu23

Hi guys, I have had the Nexus 5 for 1.5 years now. I really like it, but for the last few weeks, the phone has started to crash. Like, a lot, around 3-5 times a day at least. It crashes at random moments of the day, usually when I try to start up some app. Usually when I try to restart it, the phone tries to go on, sometimes success, but more than likely will just crash again. The problem is fixed by putting the phone on a charger, and then put on again. After that it will work again... for 1 to 3 hours until it crashes again. It never crashes if I use it on charger though.

I don't think it's a battery issue either though, because it can do this even if it like 95% charged, and when it finally turns back on, it says again 95%. When I do check the battery consuption, the phone says that it had 0% battery during the down-time.

The issue is really frustrating me out, and I don't know what to do..

Sounds like an issue where the battery will sort of disconnect? That could be why it runs when plugged in and why it says 0% battery for the downtime. I have way to little technical knowledge though, it's just an idea.

If it's out of warranty, I'd open it and check the battery connectors.

Ferr986

My power button is completely stuck, it won't even click... I'm fucked, right?

The phone didn't even fall down, it got stuck all of sudden :(

Lulu23

Has anybody ever sent their Nexus 5 to LG for fixing? How long do they usually take?
(I'm in Europe, Germany btw.)

The headphone jack is broken, also there are a lot of cracks in the phone's body.
I bought it Jan '15 so I still have warranty, but I fear sending it to LG will only result in me having to wait a couple weeks for them to send me either a refurbished unit or repair it.
(They probably don't have any stock of it left, it's hard to find it new.)

I don't want to be without a phone for too long, so I thought maybe I'd just buy the 5X and then sell the 5 when it comes back from LG.

Archer

Hi Guys,

I believe I backed up my photos on my phone to my Picasa and Google+ drive, but now the photos other than from a few months ago remain on my Nexus 5. Beyond that, there's a grey box where each photo used to be, but nothing there. How do I get the photos back to my device?

Many thanks.

ummm, ever since I updated to 6.0.1. Marshmallow yesterday by battery has been displaying as over 4000%... I followed this guide. The only thing was that I used the factory image for 6.0.1. where did I mess up?

also, when I try to install Android Pay on my rooted Nexus 5, it says that it's compatible...

Chris R

ummm, ever since I updated to 6.0.1. Marshmallow yesterday by battery has been displaying as over 4000%... I followed this guide. The only thing was that I used the factory image for 6.0.1. where did I mess up?

also, when I try to install Android Pay on my rooted Nexus 5, it says that it's compatible...

You can install the app if I remember, but you can't add cards.

I got my $20 best buy card and as soon as I use it I'm removing Android Pay so I can go back to my swipe to unlock "security" setting :D

You can install the app if I remember, but you can't add cards.

I got my $20 best buy card and as soon as I use it I'm removing Android Pay so I can go back to my swipe to unlock "security" setting :D

maybe I will just unroot for now... not like I use any root specific features these days anyways.

Zoe

Where can I find a reliable replacement battery?

I've been having an issue that's becoming increasingly common where I plug in my phone over night, and by the morning it's nearly drained and hot to touch.

wwm0nkey

Got the stuck power button issue. Anyone know how to fix that without opening the phone? I got it unstuck once with a good whack on a pillow but that's not working now.

Got the stuck power button issue. Anyone know how to fix that without opening the phone? I got it unstuck once with a good whack on a pillow but that's not working now.

I spent 30 minutes banging my n5 on the side and the back trying to get it unstuck.

The only way I could get it to not reboot 2 seconds after starting up was to keep on slapping the back on my desk or palm continuously.

Finally what worked for me what putting it in a case, connecting the charger and throwing it with full force on the floor (no kidding).

It's been 4 days since and I have not touched the power button. Using gravity screen now so I never have to use the power button again, unless it gets switched off.

Top Bottom