• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

Anybody have issues with using custom ringtones on the N5 after upgrading to Lollipop? I can select the mp3 file for my custom ringtone and it plays when I select it. However, the default "ding" sound plays instead when I check the volume or if the phone rings. I tried different mp3 files and I've tried clearing the cache but neither fixes the issue. Any ideas? A quick Google search brings up a few people with the same problem but no workable solution.

thenexus6

Edit:

Bought the official bumper case finally, I like the feel of it a lot. The buttons are a little hard to press but I guess they'll loosen up over time.

DrAg0nBoY

So I got my Nexus 5 a week ago and I don't get the 5.0.1 update. Not even the 5.0 update. Any idea what's wrong? Did google pul those updates?

Lulu23

Apart from the overpriced official one, which are good options for wireless chargers for this thing (,that will potentially also charge up future devices)?

Edit: I just got mine, but it would only load a 4.4.4 Update, and it says that there is no update available. Is there anything I can do beside waiting or flashing to 5.0(.1/2)?

Edit2: Nevermind, I just flashed it.

GrapeApes

Man fuck this phone. My phone has recently been acting up. Any time I touch the power button it goes into a reboot loop. Seems to be an hardware issue that others are experiencing as well. Of course I'm now out of the warranty period and it isn't covered. Did a factory reset and no go. I'm done with the Nexus line.

Man fuck this phone. My phone has recently been acting up. Any time I touch the power button it goes into a reboot loop. Seems to be an hardware issue that others are experiencing as well. Of course I'm now out of the warranty period and it isn't covered. Did a factory reset and no go. I'm done with the Nexus line.

This happened to me when I upgraded to lollipop on my old N5. Although I had replaced the screen myself and somehow wrecked the Wi-Fi, so I think that had something to do with it. Downgrading back to Kit Kat fixed it.

GrapeApes

This happened to me when I upgraded to lollipop on my old N5. Although I had replaced the screen myself and somehow wrecked the Wi-Fi, so I think that had something to do with it. Downgrading back to Kit Kat fixed it.
I figured it out for now. It seems the power button is faulty and gets stuck leaving you in a reboot loop. Tried wiping cache and starting anew and still the same thing. On the internet it suggested giving the button a good whacking. So I had to slam the power button on a hard surface. It's good now but what a shoddy product. If you buy this product I would recommend getting an extended warranty. My old first gen Galaxy is still running and this newer phone almost became an expensive paperweight.

Ferr986

I figured it out for now. It seems the power button is faulty and gets stuck leaving you in a reboot loop. Tried wiping cache and starting anew and still the same thing. On the internet it suggested giving the button a good whacking. So I had to slam the power button on a hard surface. It's good now but what a shoddy product. If you buy this product I would recommend getting an extended warranty. My old first gen Galaxy is still running and this newer phone almost became an expensive paperweight.

Just confirming, as you can see up there I had the same problem and a good slam solved it lol

I had this problem as well, two weeks ago. I was able to get a warranty exchange from Google (I believe it has to be bought from the Play Store), even though I brought it from a Gaffer in June. I think all Nexus 5 phones have one free warranty fix or something. You need the cash to cover the price of the phone but I had my refurbished Nexus 5 in about two days.

GrapeApes

I had this problem as well, two weeks ago. I was able to get a warranty exchange from Google (I believe it has to be bought from the Play Store), even though I brought it from a Gaffer in June. I think all Nexus 5 phones have one free warranty fix or something. You need the cash to cover the price of the phone but I had my refurbished Nexus 5 in about two days.
Yeah I called but I bought mines Nov 2013 and they tried to push me off to LG for a repair quote. I was hoping they would throw me a bone because I wasn't at fault.

Akira

My feelings exactly. This reboot thing has happened to me before. One of the big problems (aside from the horrendous battery life) has been Chrome crashing every few minutes. I would download other browser apps, but I kind of like Chrome's ability to cache tabs so I can open a bunch of tabs in the subway and have access to those tabs once I have no signal. Another problem is the keyboard, which goes wonky sometimes, and disappears while I'm trying to text or type in Chrome. When these 2 problems happen at the same time, I just want to break my phone in half.

Zoe

Wait, seriously? Cause my phone randomly rebooted near the end of a half marathon I was tracking, and it did it again today. I really don't want it to happen again during my next race :(

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I see I'm not the only one who ended up with battery life issues with 5.0+

Also need a new case. I had/have a Neo-Hybrid but the plastic bumper part broke. Just have the rubber TPU part now which makes it hart to push the buttons and feels terrible. It doesn't look like you can get official bumper cases anymore.

Any suggestions for cases I should look into? Worth noting I use wireless charging so I'd want something that doesn't interfere with that.

JonnyBrad

Wait, seriously? Cause my phone randomly rebooted near the end of a half marathon I was tracking, and it did it again today. I really don't want it to happen again during my next race :(

It's possible. They do reboot when they crash as well though.

When my power button went it wouldn't even boot up as it was effectively permanently stuck down so kept going off half way through a boot.

I was having this power button issue as well. It is, after all, the most used part of the phone for most people I guess, but I wouldn't expect it to start acting up just after a year of purchase.

My phone is the launch N5 and went out of warranty 2 months ago, would Google still replace it without a fee? It was bought off the play store.

JonnyBrad

I was having this power button issue as well. It is, after all, the most used part of the phone for most people I guess, but I wouldn't expect it to start acting up just after a year of purchase.

My phone is the launch N5 and went out of warranty 2 months ago, would Google still replace it without a fee? It was bought off the play store.

I'd ring them and ask. They replaced mine for free when it was over a year old (I'm in the UK)

There are reports they're going over the 1 year warranty in the states too

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...-free-under-a-new-unofficial-warranty-policy/

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Same power button problem here. Gave out in less than a year. Extremely disappointed. Needless to say I'm done with the Nexus line. If Google is going to do hardware they need to be like Apple and do it themselves. I thought I'd jump to another Android phone but the Nexus 6 is plagued with build issues as well (peeling back, screen burn in, etc) and the Note 4 has Samsung's horrible Touchwiz that I want nothing to do with. So I'll be jumping ship to iOS and picking up an iPhone 6 soon. Shame because I really like stock Android but these Nexus devices are cheaply made and seem to always have some hardware issues.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Same power button problem here. Gave out in less than a year. Extremely disappointed. Needless to say I'm done with the Nexus line. If Google is going to do hardware they need to be like Apple and do it themselves. I thought I'd jump to another Android phone but the Nexus 6 is plagued with build issues as well (peeling back, screen burn in, etc) and the Note 4 has Samsung's horrible Touchwiz that I want nothing to do with. So I'll be jumping ship to iOS and picking up an iPhone 6 soon. Shame because I really like stock Android but these Nexus devices are cheaply made and seem to always have some hardware issues.

You're just making stuff up with the N6. Burn in isn't an issue. Peeling stickers from the back, though, yeah. Apple hardware has plenty of issues, too. Easily scratched sides on the iPhone 5 being one of them. I'm not defending Nexus phones but I do want to say that if you think life with an iPhone is perfect, you're wrong.

strikeselect

You're just making stuff up with the N6. Burn in isn't an issue. Peeling stickers from the back, though, yeah. Apple hardware has plenty of issues, too. Easily scratched sides on the iPhone 5 being one of them. I'm not defending Nexus phones but I do want to say that if you think life with an iPhone is perfect, you're wrong.

I acknowledge that life with an iPhone won't be perfect. No hardware is. But hell, I'll take scratched sides over a power button that gives out in less than a year. :-\

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I acknowledge that life with an iPhone won't be perfect. No hardware is. But hell, I'll take scratched sides over a power button that gives out in less than a year. :-\

I don't blame you. I'd shy away from previous bad experiences. My N6 is pretty solid hardware wise, though. Have you tried contacting Google about warrantying your N5?

Lulu23

I just discovered a dead pixel on mine after a month of using. Unfortunately, I didn't buy from Google directly (as they were and still are out of stock here in Germany) but from a retailer through eBay. My chances of getting a replacement are near zero, aren't they?

Lulu23

How, the pixels are so small.

I know, right?
It's actually only visible when the screen is black at that spot (or at least very dark), since the pixel is stuck on green. Stuck pixel is the word I should have used in my post above, now that I think about it.

While Google will replace a phone for one dead pixel, I know most retailers won't if it's such a small issue. Still sucks, though.

strikeselect

I don't blame you. I'd shy away from previous bad experiences. My N6 is pretty solid hardware wise, though. Have you tried contacting Google about warrantying your N5?

I will in the next couple of days. I may be over the warranty already, not sure. Even with a new replacement, I don't intend on keeping the device. It's clearly a design flaw with the phone and would only be a matter of time until it happens on the new unit as well.

Husker86

I know, right?
It's actually only visible when the screen is black at that spot (or at least very dark), since the pixel is stuck on green. Stuck pixel is the word I should have used in my post above, now that I think about it.

While Google will replace a phone for one dead pixel, I know most retailers won't if it's such a small issue. Still sucks, though.

Did you try a pixel fixer app? Sometimes stuck pixels can be fixed.

Lulu23

Did you try a pixel fixer app? Sometimes stuck pixels can be fixed.

I doubt those apps give you anything else than seizures when you try them on modern smartphones, but I'll give it a go and report back if it fixes it.

So, the retailer won't do anything and told me to contact LG. It was through eBay and I only bought from them because they were literally the only place to buy a new lack Nexus 5 from in Germany.

Does anybody have experience with LG's customer service? I reckon most people in this thread bought from the Play Store and can therefor enjoy their supposedly excellent customer service, but has anybody here bought the phone somewhere else and had to go through LG for a repair or replacement?

Husker86

I doubt those apps give you anything else than seizures when you try them on modern smartphones, but I'll give it a go and report back if it fixes it.

So, the retailer won't do anything and told me to contact LG. It was through eBay and I only bought from them because they were literally the only place to buy a new lack Nexus 5 from in Germany.

Does anybody have experience with LG's customer service? I reckon most people in this thread bought from the Play Store and can therefor enjoy their supposedly excellent customer service, but has anybody here bought the phone somewhere else and had to go through LG for a repair or replacement?

Back when I started development a pixel checker app is the first thing I made because of the simplicity. I've gotten many of reviews stating that it fixed people's stuck pixels so I suppose it's worth a shot.

I haven't had to deal with LG, so can't help you on that part of your post.

strikeselect

So I got Google to replace my Nexus 5. The replacement unit also has a defective power button, lol.

Googy pls.

thenexus6

I took my Nexus 5 to a few phone repairs shops in town and they couldn't fix my busted power button. I was thinking of selling on eBay as faulty then buying another one but then I risk the same problem happening again in the future.. what to do...

So I've charged my nexus 5 until about 40% before I went to sleep and turn the phone off. When I turn it on the battery depleted to 20%.

Anyone have the same problem?

A couple questions for some other Nexus 5 owners:

1. Is there anything I can do to address the memory leak issue with Lollipop? It seems like every other day my Nexus 5 is useless (Opening Maps kills podcast/Music apps and vice versa), and kills my battery.

2. I'm on Sprint right now and am looking to get rid of them to find a cheap prepaid plan. Is T-Mobile still the best for going month to month and getting decent service?

co1onel

Whatever you do dont buy the ringke slim case. The thing was so tight when I took it off, the corners of my nexus 5 were all chewed up.

Sch1sm

So I've charged my nexus 5 until about 40% before I went to sleep and turn the phone off. When I turn it on the battery depleted to 20%.

Anyone have the same problem?

I've had this happen more than once, and there's really no fix. I've flashed to stock too many times as is. Nothing's helped. I just carry a charger these days.

Saiyan-Rox

Any info when the 5 will get 5.1 OTA?

OTA is already out it just takes awhile for every phone to get it. You can flash the OTA through adb or flash a factory image from Google if you know how or are willing to learn how. If not you'll have to wait until your phone is "picked" to get it.

Lulu23

OTA is already out it just takes awhile for every phone to get it. You can flash the OTA through adb or flash a factory image from Google if you know how or are willing to learn how. If not you'll have to wait until your phone is "picked" to get it.

I flashed the 5.0.1 ROM from Google but don't want to flash again since I don't want to lose all settings and stuff.
How long can it take to get the OTA update? I'm asking since I bought the N5 in january and HAD to flash it because it wouldn't update to Lollipop from KitKat over the air.

Saiyan-Rox

I flashed the 5.0.1 ROM from Google but don't want to flash again since I don't want to lose all settings and stuff.
How long can it take to get the OTA update? I'm asking since I bought the N5 in january and HAD to flash it because it wouldn't update to Lollipop from KitKat over the air.

it can take weeks after the first rollout begins in order for all the devices to get it. you can manually flash the OTA without loosing data btw but for OTA you need to be 100% stock with no changes like root etc

solid mike

Sideloaded 5.0 when I was too anxious about getting Lollipop

Did not update to 5.0.1 after I read about all the issues but updated last night so that I may get the 5.1 OTA -- too lazy to sideload again

From the Philippines so obviously, we're one of the last to get the OTA as usual

Top Bottom