• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

Sch1sm

I'm considering a battery case. The problem is that they're all hideous. Anyone use one?

ZeroLemon's isn't too bad. It gets you 3x the battery. Just gonna have to suck it up if you want one. They're so far from aesthetically pleasing but they get the job done.

tirminyl

Side loaded yesterday and my battery life has been crap. Here is this mornings life. Unplugged from charger and sat on table.

GYqPwVU.png

Lulu23

So after the reviews of the Nexus 6 weren't exactly what I had hoped for I decided that it won't be worth it to me to pay the higher price for it.
But coming from a Galaxy S3 I really want stock Android on my next phone, so my only other option is the Nexus 5.

Unfortunately, neither the Google Play Store nor Amazon have any available units (Amazon only having some shitty Marketplace offers I don't trust).
I'm located in Germany by the way so that makes finding one even more difficult I think.

Has anyone got any idea how to get hold of a new 32Gb black Nexus 5 to use (and preferably buy) in Germany?
I don't know if Google will get new stock (they seem to still have plenty of white and red units) or if they are just selling the remainders.

Yikes, anyone else having a terrible experience with 5.0?

I got the OTA and my phone is almost unusable now. It's incredibly slow, sluggish, laggy, stuttering, a total disaster. Ready to throw this thing at the wall as hard as I can.

sam777

I got the OTA and my phone is almost unusable now. It's incredibly slow, sluggish, laggy, stuttering, a total disaster. Ready to throw this thing at the wall as hard as I can.

Mine is definitely slightly slower, will have to use it more to really test it out only just installed it a short while ago.

sam777

Mine feels slower as well. Where did the Gallery go btw?

Gallery is gone, it looks like all pictures just go in to the photos app. The worst thing about this is that the photo app doesn't sort the pictures in folders, so not sure what genius thought of removing Gallery.

Gallery is gone, it looks like all pictures just go in to the photos app. The worst thing about this is that the photo app doesn't sort the pictures in folders, so not sure what genius thought of removing Gallery.

Agreed, that seems like a very backward choice.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
isn't "photos" the new app that's finally replacing gallery for good. They started the transition a while ago.

I don't think I've ever used Photos, not that I used Gallery much but it does look way worse.

Ark

I'm loving Lolipop, so stylistic ;__;

I ordered a portable battery that should be arriving tomorrow so I can charge my phone in my bag while I'm working, no need for an ugly battery case ;)

Okay N5 owners...

What are your plans?

Upgrading to N6? Some other device?

Holding onto your N5 for another year? Upgrading to L or no?

I've had the N5 since release. No matter how great the UI and form factor are on this, the camera quality and the battery life really hold it back. I still find it difficult to get through a full day without having to charge this, I start my day around 9AM and get home around 6-7PM with about 15% left which makes it difficult to go out afterwards unless I've charged it at work. The camera is just...average in every sense of the word. Nothing pops at you, pictures look 'okay' but never great.

I'm considering a Z3 or a Note 4 although I despise Touchwiz. The battery life and camera of these two just blow away the N5. If Samsung steps it up with the S6 and designs it similar to a Note 4 with a smaller phone factor, I'm definitely sold, especially if a GPE comes out.

ZeroRay

Lollipop is an absolute dream to use but my battery seems to have gotten slightly worse. I hope it's just the phone getting used to the new update and not something I have to get used to. :-/

This is the feeling OS I've ever used, but damn it, I want to enjoy it more. Here's hoping the Nexus 7(ha!) has a good battery.

Novocaine

Having a problem with my N5, hoping someone here can help me.

So I dropped my phone, smashed the screen, I got the phone repaired by a 3rd party seeing as you can't get the free replacement under warranty over here in AU like you can in US.

Anyway the day after I got the screen repaired the touch screen started to not respond intermittently (varies between 1 and 10 seconds). It was pissing me off so I wiped the phone and did a factory reset and it started working 100% again, but a couple of days later it's starting to do the same thing again.

Running 4.4.4 right now, lollipop hasn't made its way to me yet.

I want to make sure it's not an easily fixed problem before I go back to the guy that repaired my screen. Having it work fine after the factory reset suggests that it has nothing to do with the screen getting replaced but I don't know.

Help please someone!

Having a problem with my N5, hoping someone here can help me.

So I dropped my phone, smashed the screen, I got the phone repaired by a 3rd party seeing as you can't get the free replacement under warranty over here in AU like you can in US.

Anyway the day after I got the screen repaired the touch screen started to not respond intermittently (varies between 1 and 10 seconds). It was pissing me off so I wiped the phone and did a factory reset and it started working 100% again, but a couple of days later it's starting to do the same thing again.

Running 4.4.4 right now, lollipop hasn't made its way to me yet.

I want to make sure it's not an easily fixed problem before I go back to the guy that repaired my screen. Having it work fine after the factory reset suggests that it has nothing to do with the screen getting replaced but I don't know.

Help please someone!
Take it back to the repairer, they borked it up.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

I got the OTA update yesterday and it's been s fluid, if not more so than 4.4.4.

jambo

Mine updated this morning, but now I can't get my work email.

Every time I try to use it I get "Exchange Service has crashed"

Also my Google Now is displaying this for a logo...

VDg5u9L.jpg

Just updated to Lollipop. Things feel smooth and sleek. But is there a way to make the Google toolbar transparent (like it was before) instead of white? The white clashes with my wallpaper.

Sch1sm

Just updated to Lollipop. Things feel smooth and sleek. But is there a way to make the Google toolbar transparent (like it was before) instead of white? The white clashes with my wallpaper.

Nope. Nothing in the settings for that, at least. One of the first things I hunted for when I went to L.

DXPett1

Previous to Lollipop this was the case, Lollipop version of Photos app though; Hamburger Menu>On Device *BAM* Gallery like experience ;)

Nope. Nothing in the settings for that, at least. One of the first things I hunted for when I went to L.
Ugh, that's terrible. I turned off weather notifications since the constant bright white notification background is an eyesore on my lock screen.

Previous to Lollipop this was the case, Lollipop version of Photos app though; Hamburger Menu>On Device *BAM* Gallery like experience ;)
If only there was a way to set "on device" as the default.

abracadaver

I think my Nexus 5 is fucked. It suddenly takes 5 hours to charge the battery and I only get around 1,5 hours of screen time from 100 to 0% (instead of 3,5 hours before). Is this a lollipop thing or is my battery broken?

I think my Nexus 5 is fucked. It suddenly takes 5 hours to charge the battery and I only get around 1,5 hours of screen time from 100 to 0% (instead of 3,5 hours before). Is this a lollipop thing or is my battery broken?
Some people have talked about restarting their phone fixing battery issues after updating to 5.0.

Sch1sm

Some people have talked about restarting their phone fixing battery issues after updating to 5.0.

That, or draining battery entirely. Have you done that at all since the update to 5.0?

Killer

Banned
So my nexus 5 won't boot up :(. and if it boots up, it shows me the google logo then it turns off. the battery is full. is it fucked?

mingus

takes away gallery, and removes the gallery shortcut

merges gmail and email, but keeps the email shortcut

"Email has moved. The Gmail app now lets you view all of your email accounts."

why google

Sch1sm

takes away gallery, and removes the gallery shortcut

merges gmail and email, but keeps the email shortcut

"Email has moved. The Gmail app now lets you view all of your email accounts."

why google

Disable it. Maybe complain about the stupidity of it in Settings>About Phone>Send Feedback. c:

Novocaine

Any reason my N5 (and N7 for that matter) haven't found the 5.0 update yet? I'd rather do it OTA instead of screwing around with flashing.

It doesn't have anything to do with carriers does it?

Sch1sm

Any reason my N5 (and N7 for that matter) haven't found the 5.0 update yet? I'd rather do it OTA instead of screwing around with flashing.

It doesn't have anything to do with carriers does it?

No, doubt it has anything to do with carriers. There's no reason at all. A few others still haven't received the OTA, I know at least one person who's still waiting for the N7 OTA on here. It's just a waiting game. Did you dismiss it at any point? If so, it'd have disappeared. Maybe it's still rolling out. Pretty lengthy roll out, eh? It's been just over two weeks since the release. Really suggest you get acquainted with flashing; it isn't that difficult and saves the wait, lol.

Novocaine

No, doubt it has anything to do with carriers. There's no reason at all. A few others still haven't received the OTA, I know at least one person who's still waiting for the N7 OTA on here. It's just a waiting game. Did you dismiss it at any point? If so, it'd have disappeared. Maybe it's still rolling out. Pretty lengthy roll out, eh? It's been just over two weeks since the release. Really suggest you get acquainted with flashing; it isn't that difficult and saves the wait, lol.

Yeah I'll probably flash if it hasn't arrived in the next week or so. I've done it before on other phones I'd just rather have it go through the 'official' way.

At least it's not just me, I was getting a little worried.

Elchele

So I want to buy a Nexus 5, but the Google Play Store says they're out of stock already. Is there any website I can buy one, new (not used)?

Lulu23

So I want to buy a Nexus 5, but the Google Play Store says they're out of stock already. Is there any website I can buy one, new (not used)?

If you coincidentally live in Germany, Orange.de has a very nice deal for the Nexus 5. I just ordered a 32Gb black one for 315€ yesterday. There's a code you can use to get to that price. I don't remember it but Google should get you covered.

Elchele

If you coincidentally live in Germany, Orange.de has a very nice deal for the Nexus 5. I just ordered a 32Gb black one for 315€ yesterday. There's a code you can use to get to that price. I don't remember it but Google should get you covered.

I wish!
I'm in Argentina, but a family member is in Miami so I could buy it from the Google Play Store but they're out of stock. Just called Google and the girl on the phone said the product hasn't been discontinued but they don't have a date for when they will re-stock it.

:/ Moto G it is.

Ferr986

Um... since a couple of days ago, my N5 suddently turns off by itself (with enough battery). Anyone know what could be causing this?

Lulu23

I wish!
I'm in Argentina, but a family member is in Miami so I could buy it from the Google Play Store but they're out of stock. Just called Google and the girl on the phone said the product hasn't been discontinued but they don't have a date for when they will re-stock it.

:/ Moto G it is.

Seems like the site I ordered from didn't even have stock coming, so I had to cancel my order. :(
Why is it so hard to get hold of one of these things?

Edit: If anyone knows where to get a 32GB black one, please tell me here. :)

Syntsui

Um... since a couple of days ago, my N5 suddently turns off by itself (with enough battery). Anyone know what could be causing this?

When did you buy it? The first batch from the USA had a fucked power button. I had to replace mine (it rebooted all the time, sometimes entered an infinite loop).

Ferr986

When did you buy it? The first batch from the USA had a fucked power button. I had to replace mine (it rebooted all the time, sometimes entered an infinite loop).

Literally day one lol Its from Europe though.

Today its working fine from now, but yeah yesterday there was a moment where the phone entered into a infinite restarting loop.

Syntsui

Literally day one lol Its from Europe though.

Today its working fine from now, but yeah yesterday there was a moment where the phone entered into a infinite restarting loop.

How is the return policy in your country? Just ask for a replacement or pay someone to fix the button ASAP. Mine got this problem periodically until it got to a point the phone was unusable.

Ferr986

How is the return policy in your country? Just ask for a replacement or pay someone to fix the button ASAP. Mine got this problem periodically until it got to a point the phone was unusable.

Thanks! Just wanted to know it is a widespread problem. I bought it directly from Google. Ill try to get into contact with them.

Top Bottom