• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 5 |OT|

Anybody get the error message saying their SIM card is removed and the phone needs to be restarted? This has been recurring for me in the past month. I've taken the SIM card out and put it back in but that hasn't helped. I've looked online about the issue and some people think it's a GPS issue but I've turned off Location Services in the settings and the message still pops up from time to time.

Any ideas?

mturco

Anybody get the error message saying their SIM card is removed and the phone needs to be restarted? This has been recurring for me in the past month. I've taken the SIM card out and put it back in but that hasn't helped. I've looked online about the issue and some people think it's a GPS issue but I've turned off Location Services in the settings and the message still pops up from time to time.

Any ideas?
Could just be a bad SIM card. Some carriers will give you a new one for free.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Question. My Nexus 5 doesn't ring anymore. When I get called it will start ringing but after less than a second it stops and sends the call straight to voice mail. I've missed a couple important phone calls over the last few days because of this and was wondering if anybody had any ideas how to fix it.

lunchtoast

Anyone keep getting google play/services error popups? I've tried uninstalling updates, clear cache/data but still keep happening. Been happeing for the past few weeks.

EmiPrime

Anyone keep getting google play/services error popups? I've tried uninstalling updates, clear cache/data but still keep happening. Been happeing for the past few weeks.

I started getting that on Android L preview so I reflashed back to 4.4. It made the phone unusable.

lunchtoast

Hmmm, I'm not using L, just rooted. Also having some apps unable to get a location. Might just need to restore phone. No idea what the cause of these problems are.

lunchtoast

My phone is so fucked up now. Every time I reboot the date is changed to 1970 which messes up a bunch of apps. Whenever I set the date to automatic it says the storage is too low (it's not). still getting com.google.location erros and play issues on every reboot.

edit--Tried to wipe cache in recovery but it won't mount to e:....now it's just loop rebooting. Of course this happens at work. I'll probably have to flash the stock image when I get home and wipe everything.

another edit- got home and flashed stock rom. not going to restore backup because I'm afraid of getting location errors again. all is good for now.

Rootbeer

Banned
Okay N5 owners...

What are your plans?

Upgrading to N6? Some other device?

Holding onto your N5 for another year? Upgrading to L or no?

Okay N5 owners...

What are your plans?

Will upgrade N5 to L

Wait for reviews

See if it will be available in India and for what price

I will get it. I change phones very often, Nexus 5 is the longest I have actually had a phone in 3-4 years now.

If this is as premium as it sounds, N6 could last me 2-3 years.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm very intrigued by the N6... if I stuck with the N5 for another year I don't feel like i'd be missing out on much. It's the first time i've felt that way about a phone. Usually after a year I start to see some of the faster phones coming out and with new features and I get antsy. This time? Honestly... nothing is really screaming my name as a must have.

I think what I'm really interested in right now is a better camera. The N5s is pretty decent, but i'm curious if the N6 can trump the iPhone 6s in optics. if it can... i think i will cave and get one.

Ondore

I'll probably stick with the 5 for now (with a Lollipop upgrade), but if OnePlus is public with purchasing the one next March I may jump early.

Laekon

Will upgrade N5 to L

Wait for reviews

This is my plan right now. I still can't get over the size as I never feel my N5 is to small like I did the iphone 4. Beyond that the Z3C or (hate to say it) iPhone 6 might be my next phone. At this point in the life-cycle of smart phones they all do the same basic things so battery life, camera, and how it feels in my hand are the most important things.

co1onel

Okay N5 owners...

What are your plans?

I have no interest in a phone with a screen that big. The Nexus 5's screen is already pushing it for me. Definitely looking forward to lollipop though. I'm very happy with the N5, I don't see myself upgrading for a long time.

terrier

650 price tag is to high for me, I'll hold on to my 5 another year. Exited for L though.

this, the only thing that i will miss from n6 is the dsp , just like moto x , being able to say ok google with screen off. 6 inches was a bit too big anyway, but it was really tempting

This friday L preview, hopefully it is stable enough to use it normally unlike previous one which had too many bugs.

8bit

Knows the Score
Been using L since developer release, I don't think I could go back to KitKat. Only problem I had was with MMS and that was resolved by someone sending it by Whatsapp instead.

Ark

Going to stick with my Nexus 5 for another year, or until the battery becomes unusable. 5.9" is just slightly too big imo, that said if the battery & price are good in the UK I might just bite.

Ferr986

Yeah no reason for me to upgrade too. N5 works like the first day for me (minus the battery but its still good enough). So happy with this phone.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Been rocking a case with my Nexus 5 since I got it. Getting an itch to go nekkid though... kinda sick of the case.

kris.

Banned
Okay N5 owners...

What are your plans?

i have an upgrade coming up in a month or two. really hoping there's some kind of trade-in deal so i can pair it with the upgrade and get a 6 for super cheap. dunno if they did that when the 5 was released, i'm relatively new to the nexus line.

i was really hesitant at first because of the 6s size, but those specs... i can't not.

Ferr986

Been rocking a case with my Nexus 5 since I got it. Getting an itch to go nekkid though... kinda sick of the case.

My Nexus 5 has never been in a case and its still as day one (it even survived a fall on the floor in a club with 0 damages, but I guess I was incredibly lucky there).

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
My Nexus 5 keeps thinking I have headphones plugged in when I don't. No sound will come out of the speakers when this happens. Plugging in headphones, then removing then fixes this, but it's mildly annoying.

Anyone else experience this?

My Nexus 5 keeps thinking I have headphones plugged in when I don't. No sound will come out of the speakers when this happens. Plugging in headphones, then removing then fixes this, but it's mildly annoying.

No, but I do have this problem where somebody bumps this thread and I have unreasonable hopes that it will be information about when 5.0 is going OTA.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!

Never had an issue with the headphone jack. My power button has started to act up recently though.

If you bought yours through the Play Store I would recommend getting an RMA.

Never had an issue with the headphone jack. My power button has started to act up recently though.

If you bought yours through the Play Store I would recommend getting an RMA.

My power button is pretty much broken. It gets stuck and sends the phone into an infinite reboot. I've had to resort to apps that wake the screen when I lift the phone.

I should order an RMA, but I am getting the N6.

As I understand it: It is only for a small percent of Nexus devices today, which will increase over the next week or so. It is so if there is a problem it is caught early rather than getting widespread. Checking for updates repeatedly doesn't help you if you weren't selected in a particular round.

Chris R

As I understand it: It is only for a small percent of Nexus devices today, which will increase over the next week or so. It is so if there is a problem it is caught early rather than getting widespread. Checking for updates repeatedly doesn't help you if you weren't selected in a particular round.

So I should only press the Check For Update button once an hour. Got it.

Sch1sm

sideloaded, no issues to report, although battery life time estimation is a little wonky

The battery just. Ergh. One minute 11 hours left, the next a measly 6.
141.gif

Husker86

Just picked up a 32GB N5 for $280. I know the N6 is out, but my N4 8GB is just not cutting it anymore.

I know I'm late to the thread, but yay! All these posts have made me happy with my choice.
The N5 is the longest I've owned an Android phone. This is the first time I've not had a huge urge to upgrade; Lollipop made it even easier to stick with the phone.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Just picked up a 32GB N5 for $280. I know the N6 is out, but my N4 8GB is just not cutting it anymore.

I know I'm late to the thread, but yay! All these posts have made me happy with my choice.
Good choice. If I were to buy a phone today, I'd still strongly consider N5. I'll be keeping it for another year, which is unheard of for me.

I've had some problems with my N5 on Lollipop hard freezing under circumstances, not sure what they are though, it's only happened a couple of times and both after I was messing around testing which apps don't work on ART, haven't had an issue since I stopped doing that but since I've only had it a day and a half that may just be coincidence.

Sch1sm

Okay! Three days in with L and I decided on monitoring today especially since yesterday I was at work all day and so my regular usage was hindered, and the first day was filled with reinstalling apps and restoring data, the like. Not too bad, not less than what I got from KK on average. About 12 hours of life, 3h screen time. Debating a ZeroLemon case.

ZHTnRZ9l.png

yCLzEUql.png

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm considering a battery case. The problem is that they're all hideous. Anyone use one?

Top Bottom