• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 6 |OT| Moto takes the L

Reckoner

For cases, what do you guys recommend? I'm torn between ordering a Spigen Smooth Black or the Caseology one that seems to give extra protection. Also, any screen protector recommendation?

Smart. Please update the thread when you hear news. I'll do the same. I placed an order on .de a few days ago. Team 32GB Cloud White.

Amazon.fr has it in stock right now. Tempting, but will probably end up getting the 64gb next week anyway.

npa189

Ringke Slim matte black came in the mail today, awesome case for $5. Its the first phone case in a long I haven't had the immediate urge to take off my phone and throw in the garbage. I wish more well known case makers would wise up and make stuff for the nexus line. Still no 5.0.1 but I've stopped checking/caring.

Folks ain't wrong. Can't go back to smaller phones. This is glorious. A few 5.x quirks I can live without that will hopefully get sortedbbut this is nice.

CronoShot

Does anyone else's camera make a soft, audible click when opening or closing the app? When I open the camera app, the lens visibly moves slightly up and makes a clicking sound. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it, it takes pictures and video fine. I've just never had a phone that does that.

Ringke Slim matte black came in the mail today, awesome case for $5. Its the first phone case in a long I haven't had the immediate urge to take off my phone and throw in the garbage. I wish more well known case makers would wise up and make stuff for the nexus line. Still no 5.0.1 but I've stopped checking/caring.
Ringke slim cases are the best quality to value cases out there. Had it on my nexus 5 and my iPhone 6.

Husker86

Does anyone else's camera make a soft, audible click when opening or closing the app? When I open the camera app, the lens visibly moves slightly up and makes a clicking sound. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it, it takes pictures and video fine. I've just never had a phone that does that.

Optical Image Stabilization. It's a mechanical, um, mechanism. Totally normal.

NotBacon

For cases, what do you guys recommend? I'm torn between ordering a Spigen Smooth Black or the Caseology one that seems to give extra protection. Also, any screen protector recommendation?

Amazon.fr has it in stock right now. Tempting, but will probably end up getting the 64gb next week anyway.

Bear Motion for the best grip.

I have the SUPCASE Unicorn/Beetle with fogged plastic backing for the nexus bling. Fits like a glove. Not too much bulk and raised bumper protexts the front when face down. Love it.

Cudder

I have the SUPCASE Unicorn/Beetle with fogged plastic backing for the nexus bling. Fits like a glove. Not too much bulk and raised bumper protexts the front when face down. Love it.

I bought this case off Amazon but it's not here yet. Do you mind taking pictures of the Nexus 6 in it? It doesn't seem to be a popular case so there's no videos on Youtube of it.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Still no 5.01 on my phone.

I'm using AT&T, but the phone was bought straight from Motorola.

I took out the sim to see if it'd force the update, but no... I'm not doing the framework thing, and don't really want to side load.. but WTF?

Is it AT&T stopping it?

Husker86

Still no 5.01 on my phone.

I'm using AT&T, but the phone was bought straight from Motorola.

I took out the sim to see if it'd force the update, but no... I'm not doing the framework thing, and don't really want to side load.. but WTF?

Is it AT&T stopping it?

Even if you're not comfortable with ADB. The only command you have to send is reboot bootloader, or you can just do it with the right button holds when starting the phone.

The hardest part for some people seems to be getting the driver installed, which can sometimes be a pain on Windows.

Just remember to take out the "-w" in the script if you don't want to wipe your phone.

Kathian

Banned
Going from a Note 2 I really love this phone. Size is perfect. My one grippe is I do not know if my headphone have gone in properly. On a Note you get a notification in the top bar showing volume will stream through your headphones.

Without it I worry my sound might blare out xD

Odinson

Got the case on Wednesday. Love it so far. Very protective and I love the frosted back.

asdad123

Any battery life tips? Decided to try this out but the battery life is terrible. Currently at 53% after being unplugged for 6 hours. 1.5 hours screen time.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Any battery life tips? Decided to try this out but the battery life is terrible. Currently at 53% after being unplugged for 6 hours. 1.5 hours screen time.
Just use the phone. Have you even had it for a day yet? Relax and let it settle in.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Even if you're not comfortable with ADB. The only command you have to send is reboot bootloader, or you can just do it with the right button holds when starting the phone.

The hardest part for some people seems to be getting the driver installed, which can sometimes be a pain on Windows.

Just remember to take out the "-w" in the script if you don't want to wipe your phone.

I might try it, but I'll probably just wait. Just sucks AT&T being AT&T.

Yeah, the battery life isn't great. Considering the screen size and all it's really about what I expected though.. just it's never enough.

NotBacon

Have you tried microwaving it?
But really, do you live in an area with horrible reception or something? Let it settle for a few days too.

switch phones with NotBacon, then you'll get not only much better battery life, but also a better camera.

Or this.

Wait is the "Nexus 6 has a subpar camera" still a thing? Every single person who has one has been raving about it so...

At least it doesn't lag everywhere like the Note 4! Oh wait that's not true either?

Let's just stick to the facts.

Reckoner

I got 20 hours, 6 SOT on first day. Wi-Fi and bluetooth on because of my Pebble. Used it to browse, watch videos, a bit of a movie, a little Super Hexagon and installed apps. I use Greenify and am all custom, though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Every version is still available at Amazon.fr. I got my 64gb CW from them and it only took three days to arrive.
Huh, so it is. Why isn't my .de order shipping? Ridiculous. I have credit on there I'd rather use.

NotBacon

Has anyone turned off the encryption from their nexus? Is it worth doing?

I think the consensus is there isn't a noticeable difference. I mean there's probably a difference if you micro analyze in read/write heavy apps, like milliseconds, but have fun manually flashing every update if you do decrypt.

I think the consensus is there isn't a noticeable difference. I mean there's probably a difference if you micro analyze in read/write heavy apps, like milliseconds, but have fun manually flashing every update if you do decrypt.
Blah that is a lot of work. I do like the native DPI but ill live with encryption then.

grmlin

I'm currently using a S4 and will upgrade to a new phone soon.

After using Samsung for almost 2 years now and getting angry because of slow updates and more important unfixed bugs in their firmware, there is no way I'll buy a Samsung Android phone again anytime soon.
I used a Nexus S before the S4 and loved the uncomplicated updates and the pure google experience.

Can someone compare the Nexus 6 to the S4? Especially the screen (colors, brightness) and battery life?
I'm still fine with the performance of my S4 so any other new flagship phone will be an improvement I think.

Thanks!

ps: I know it's one large phone ;)

NotBacon

I'm currently using a S4 and will upgrade to a new phone soon.

After using Samsung for almost 2 years now and getting angry because of slow updates and more important unfixed bugs in their firmware, there is no way I'll buy a Samsung Android phone again anytime soon.
I used a Nexus S before the S4 and loved the uncomplicated updates and the pure google experience.

Can someone compare the Nexus 6 to the S4? Especially the screen (colors, brightness) and battery life?
I'm still fine with the performance of my S4 so any other new flagship phone will be an improvement I think.

Thanks!

ps: I know it's one large phone ;)

Better in every single way.
I can't compare directly, but I can tell you the screen is ultra sharp, vibrant, and bright. Battery life is typically 6 hrs of SoT. Some are getting 7, others are getting 4-5.

Ivan 3414

So the new rumor is that the Nexus 6 is finally coming to Verizon in mid-February.

If anyone still cares.

I'm still holding out. =/

grmlin

It seems to be sharper because of more Mega Pixels, but I like the images of the Iphone more.

The colors and exposure look much better to me. Look at the sky in the first photo...

It's not that I think the 6 is bad, I already like the camera of my S4 most of the time. And thinking of my first ever phone (not smart) camera, I'm totally fine with it ;)

Ramza

Banned
Just ordered mine from T-Mobile. Trading my G3 for it. Hopefully they ship it out this week so I can have it for the weekend.

whata re you guys opinion about this phone's camera, both front and back?

I have the Nexus 4 right now, and it's horrible at landscape. front camera is horrible too.

just wanna know if the 6 is worth the upgrade

NotBacon

I have the Nexus 4 right now, and it's horrible at landscape. front camera is horrible too.

It takes amazing pictures. The majority (including me) think even better than iPhone.
The letdown is the focus speed. It's bearable, but it's nowhere near the speed some other phones.

All around though, it's just great.

Reckoner

I am loving mine. Javelin and Lazyswipe really help with the multitasking; it has the best phone camera I've ever used and it is really smooth and the display is just incredible. The extra size didn't take me a lot to get used to and now I just feel like it would be a pain to go back. Battery life is also good, even though I'm Greenified and all custom.

Lulu23

So I bought this phone at MediaMarkt yesterday, being a bit unsure if I need a phone this size, but I wanted to try.

I absolutely loved it when unboxing and setting it up at home. Beautiful hardware, bright and crisp screen and snappy, intuitive software (coming from 4.3 on a bloated SGS3 the difference was absolutely huge to me).
The size was a bit extreme at first, but I managed to operate the phone with no problem. I could even use it with one hand to a great extent, though not as elegantly and safely as I could my S3.
It was a bit impractical to have a huge phone like this when I was on the go though. Although it went into all my pockets (jacket and pants) it was a bit heavy and bulky in them, but I think I would have easily adjusted to that in a couple of days.
Then, in the evening, I was looking forward to consume some media on the device in bed, which was absolutely great. Wether reading GAF, watching YT or playing some GTA III, I felt as if the increased screen size really benefited the experience a lot.
The same goes for the stereo speakers, which are tons better than my laptop's (Lenovo Yoga 2).

Unfortunately, while using the phone at lower than half brightness, I began noticing not only the red tint of the screen, which I knew of before but wasn't expecting to be that extreme, but also that the display was unevenly lit. It was darker towards the edges of the panel, prominently towards the right side of the screen when using the dropdown menu. When testing it out, I noticed the same thing in a couple of apps and webpages.

So, today I went back to MediaMarkt to get a replacement, but when I was presented with the choice of getting a refund or a replacement, I opted for the refund.
I simply had the feeling that the screen size is something I can live with on the go and appreciate when at home, but ultimately can't justify, when I could just as well use my convertible laptop at home (standing on its side it is damn great for watching shows in bed).

Just now however, I ordered a Nexus 5 because I enjoyed Android 5.0 so much (which is hard in Germany because Google doesn't sell it anymore).

I still think the Nexus 6 is a great phone if you want the big screen, but not if you want to want the big screen.

Bboy AJ

What model did you get at Mediamarkt? I hope I can snag a 32GB White at Saturn.

Lulu23

What model did you get at Mediamarkt? I hope I can snag a 32GB White at Saturn.

I got the 32Gb blue one, and they said they only had blue ones. Amazon afaik also has only blue ones. I haven't seen a white Nexus 6 in the wild yet.

Edit: Has anybody else experienced an, as above mentioned, unevenly lit screen? Considering the weird pink tint at lower brightnesses, I wonder if Motorola opted for a cheaper panel, thus including one with a higher failure-rate. (I consider clouding etc. unacceptable in todays times, therefore I'd count such devices into the failure-rate.)

RedFyn

The tint is to help your eyes in low light. I really enjoy it at night. On my n5 I had to use a screen filter; this works much better so I'm happy.

I also wonder if yours had an abnormally strong tint. I don't notice it unless its almost all the way down.

Top Bottom