• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

tenz0r

Does the google play $25 credit expire at a certain date? I only used $5 of it so far, but don't plan on buying anything else yet.

Salaadin

Still no movement on my order. Google, you...just...there are no words to describe my disappointment.

tumblr_m6iaf2s7bp1qev756.jpg

Ive pretty much given up hope of getting mine before next week. With the way things have been going, Im not even going to expect it until Wednesday.

JackEtc

Thought about maybe getting an iPad for a long time now, but when this was announced I became really interested in it. I keep looking at more and more articles and reviews for it, and I'm getting really tempted to buy one of these. First, I've got a few questions for you guys.

Last Android device I had before switching to an iPhone 4S (I'm now entirely Apple, iPhone and MBP) was a Droid X running Android 2.2 or something. I haven't really kept up on Android since, but from the videos and everything I've seen, it seems like it's almost entirely different from what it was back then. Is my assumption pretty much correct?

Also, I've got Amazon Student now, and I plan to use the Amazon Instant Video stuff that comes with it if I can. Would I be able to use the Instant Video service on a Nexus 7?

Lastly, I haven't really ever done much research on tablets besides the iPad, so excuse me if this question comes off ignorant, I don't mean for it to be. Is this pretty much the best non-iPad tablet out right now, especially for the money?

Cheebo

Banned
Thought about maybe getting an iPad for a long time now, but when this was announced I became really interested in it. I keep looking at more and more articles and reviews for it, and I'm getting really tempted to buy one of these. First, I've got a few questions for you guys.

Last Android device I had before switching to an iPhone 4S (I'm now entirely Apple, iPhone and MBP) was a Droid X running Android 2.2 or something. I haven't really kept up on Android since, but from the videos and everything I've seen, it seems like it's almost entirely different from what it was back then. Is my assumption pretty much correct?

Also, I've got Amazon Student now, and I plan to use the Amazon Instant Video stuff that comes with it if I can. Would I be able to use the Instant Video service on a Nexus 7? Thanks.

Instant Video the apk does not work on Nexus 7 and with flash being no longer supported by Android you can't watch it in the browser either (or any browser very soon).

So if you want instant video you need a fire.

JackEtc

Instant Video the apk does not work on Nexus 7 and with flash being no longer supported by Android you can't watch it in the browser either (or any browser very soon).

So if you want instant video you need a fire.

Damn, okay. Thanks. I don't think I'd go for a Fire over this JUST to get instant video though. This seems like a WAY better device.

derder

Also, I've got Amazon Student now, and I plan to use the Amazon Instant Video stuff that comes with it if I can. Would I be able to use the Instant Video service on a Nexus 7?

Lastly, I haven't really ever done much research on tablets besides the iPad, so excuse me if this question comes off ignorant, I don't mean for it to be. Is this pretty much the best non-iPad tablet out right now, especially for the money?
The Droid X was a disaster for Google. I knew 8 people who got that phone on launch and only one of those is still on android (with a galaxy nexus). The Droid X has it's own bugs in software and terrible hardware manufacturing.

You'll be a part of the google experienceTM with an official google device with official, timely updates.

Got my 16gb yesterday. No issues to report and, no flaws to speak of that I can tell.
Mine is put together picture perfect all the way around. So happy.

I was sent two emails about the $6.00 Moco case I ordered.
First one said I'd be getting a free one with the updated wake/sleep whatever.
Second email told me not to use the product until they can determine if the material used would harm the N7.

Emily Chu

Banned
No kidding... Guess I'll be seeing if I can't get it open later on tonight so I can tighten that screen up

ok the creaking started again after this so I cut out a small piece of bubble wrap and placed it on top of the soft foam thingy
thing is not enough padding from that single black foam thingy so I added extra padding = zero screen creaking or being loose...

common google and asus

the creaking is prolly theres nothing holding up the screen
as in empty space

ok the creaking started again after this so I cut out a small piece of bubble wrap and placed it on top of the soft foam thingy
thing is not enough padding from that single black foam thingy so I added extra padding = zero screen creaking or being loose...

common google and asus

the creaking is prolly theres nothing holding up the screen
as in empty space

Why is your avatar a black rectangle? Are you Copernicus's sock?

Cheebo

Banned
Ugh, why use the mobile version though? It should be more than powerful enough to handle the full site.

Huh? Mobile gaf is way better than desktop gaf. I'd use it on a desktop if I could. Clickable spoilers, different board themes. It's amazing.

Cipherr

No kidding... Guess I'll be seeing if I can't get it open later on tonight so I can tighten that screen up

WTF nooooo. You guys are crazy. Exchange for a proper one. No way would I open it and fix it myself. Thats not what you paid for, fuck that. You guys are nuts. Its nice Emily fixed hers and all, but jesus christ.

You are correct. 4.0 is what did it. ICS was the real tipping point for Android. Definitely the point where I stopped feeling the need for changing everything around. It just feels good now and works the way it should. I always liked the OS, but its really the bees knees now.

Ugh, why use the mobile version though? It should be more than powerful enough to handle the full site.

Mobile version is great. I love the black background setup, it looks fantastic. They did a great job with it. I was using the full site for a while, but I decided to try it and wow.

rabhw

Just an update for anyone (especially Canadians) stuck in pre-order hell:

After insisting for over a week that they are unable to cancel pre-orders at this point...they are now magically able to cancel your order! Either contact them via the Google Wallet order page, or call them, and they will cancel it for you.

I called and only had to wait 2 minutes somehow, I was shocked.

Now I cross my fingers Best Buy gets enough stock to satisfy my order. At least with them I'm easily able to cancel and go with someone else if I desire...

DarkFlow

Banned
Just an update for anyone (especially Canadians) stuck in pre-order hell:

After insisting for over a week that they are unable to cancel pre-orders at this point...they are now magically able to cancel your order! Either contact them via the Google Wallet order page, or call them, and they will cancel it for you.

I called and only had to wait 2 minutes somehow, I was shocked.

Now I cross my fingers Best Buy gets enough stock to satisfy my order. At least with them I'm easily able to cancel and go with someone else if I desire...
They probably realized that they have more stock when people cancel.

Has anyone else experienced flicker on their screens? I know I'm not the only one, because I've seen several people over at XDA posting the same complaint. I think I may need to return my unit.

rabhw

Has anyone else experienced flicker on their screens? I know I'm not the only one, because I've seen several people over at XDA posting the same complaint. I think I may need to return my unit.

I've read people saying to turn off auto-brightness, might want to try that.

JonnyBrad

I was getting downright depressed, the left side of my 7's screen was becoming very loose and creeky from the silver lining.

Was going to exhanged it at my gamestop they told me they only had enough for preorders
I visited Ifixit and saw that there were some screws inside where the loose side of the screen was. could that be the problem ?

they had this 2.99$ opener thingy but I was like hmm fuck that just carefully gentlely nudged the backside with my fingernails and lo and behold....
tighten up the screws a bit all around NO MORE CREEKY SHITTY LOOSE SCREEN ON THE LEFT SIDE!!!! tight as a button
wtf asus and google and china.......

XQ5nD.jpg

OMG.... back cover was just a shell..... zero internals
I also liked how there was no "this may void your warranty" shit stickers that connected the two shells together....
now if there was a way to hack a mirco sd card slot and rear camera in there.... hmm...... the plot thickens.....
hell there even seems to be a slot for a rear camera for fuck sakes....

2cT4G.jpg

good as new and right as rain : D

oh and I consider the battery user replaceable now :p

What stand is that?

WTF nooooo. You guys are crazy. Exchange for a proper one. No way would I open it and fix it myself. Thats not what you paid for, fuck that. You guys are nuts. Its nice Emily fixed hers and all, but jesus christ.

I realize that, but with all the snafus that have come up due to unforeseen demand; I have no idea when a replacement will arrive and no idea whether I won't get another unit with the exact same problem

Emily Chu

Banned
I realize that, but with all the snafus that have come up due to unforeseen demand; I have no idea when a replacement will arrive and no idea whether I won't get another unit with the exact same problem

I thought about that but the wait alone would kill me....
and not to mention the replacement might have a whole host of other problems,but it wasn't as big of a deal as it seems it feels like a glorified battery cover : P
that being said I wished they had better quality assurance testing from Asus before shipping

TeegsD

So every time I click on "Ender's Game" in the Play Store on the tablet, the Play Store just stops responding and closes. Restarted the tablet and still is doing this. I guess I won't check out that book haha

Hieberrr

It's near Detroit now, but seems to have stopped at another delivery terminal. I don't think it's going out again until tomorrow. 300ish miles left.

Adamm

I installed the flash apk and has been working fine for a few days, but today I get an error saying its not supported on 4.1 & has been automatically disabled? Wtf adobe?

Edit: panic over - dolphin Browser disabled it in recent update

So what is everyone's preferred method of typing in horizontal mode?

Two-handed with thumbs? One-handed with the index finger?

I think I prefer the latter. It's just slightly too long to get to all of the letters with thumbs.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

Emily Chu

Banned
I installed the flash apk and has been working fine for a few days, but today I get an error saying its not supported on 4.1 & has been automatically disabled? Wtf adobe?

jesus fuck... which browser and what build number on the system settings ?

I'm rooted and unlocked though

did you take the latest update ?

just tested flash on my xscope and dolphin browser just to be sure

still works

I have the apk backed up to like 50 different places

like I said
from my cold dead hands...

Adamm

jesus fuck... which browser and what build number on the system settings ?

I'm rooted and unlocked though

did you take the latest update ?

like I said
from my cold dead hands...

Actually wait, dolphin browser update broke it. Now I need to find another browser :(

Emily Chu

Banned
Actually wait, dolphin browser update broke it. Now I need to find another browser :(

no wait go to dolphin setting and turn flash the FUCK back on....

srsly thats what I did with the latest update

you are not taking away my FLASH

no one is...

Flash is not dead it is UNDEAD
TxsNu.png

Top Bottom