• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Cartman86

Banned
Actually wait, dolphin browser update broke it. Now I need to find another browser :(

Firefox works with Flash. Will need to get the APK from a place like 1mobile. It's also available from Mozilla themselves. Though when going into full screen on many sites it doesn't stretch out in landscape.

Lexxon

Does it work with Jelly Bean?

Some folks seem to claim it doesn't, but seems to be working fine for me. The voice typing triggered by the keyboard is different than the regular one, though, and seems to be a little...messed up. Works when it feels like it.

Other than that, I agree--best tablet keyboard hands down. Even more useful on a 10".

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Does it work with Jelly Bean?

Yup, works great.

Doesn't let me, just keeps saying its not supported. Its even on the update notes.

no wait go to dolphin setting and turn flash the FUCK back on....

srsly thats what I did with the latest update

you are not taking away my FLASH

no one is...

Flash is not dead it is UNDEAD
TxsNu.png

You guys should use Firefox for Flash. I find it runs it the smoothest by far.

Cartman86

Banned
Swiftkey has a free 30 day trial version of their tablet split keyboard if anyone wants to try something like that out.

EDIT: Beat me!

firefox doesn't work on tablets now ?

I wonder if I can even side load it like flash....

Yep you can sideload it.

What's the best twitter app and file browser app the get for the N7

Plume or Tweet Lanes. The Tweet Lanes tablet app isn't on the store, but there is a link to it in this thread a couple pages back. It's limited in some of its features right now, but it's probably the best.

ES File Explorer or Solid Explorer

JackEtc

The Droid X was a disaster for Google. I knew 8 people who got that phone on launch and only one of those is still on android (with a galaxy nexus). The Droid X has it's own bugs in software and terrible hardware manufacturing.

You'll be a part of the google experienceTM with an official google device with official, timely updates.

Was it seriously that bad? I liked mine. Well, I liked it until towards the end of the year I had it, because it started to get really slow and laggy, which convinced me even more to make the jump to iOS even faster.

God, the more I read of this thread the more I want one of these tablets faster. I wonder if my local GameStop has any...

JordanKZ

Ok tweet Lanes is quite impressive, on a side note, does anyone have a link for flash so I can side load it please

The developer says he's working towards a tablet UI over the next few weeks. His app has come on in leaps and bounds in the last week alone... So I see a great future for Tweet Lanes.

Cartman86

Banned
Ugh, do any? I have a bunch on iPad that use google drive (I use drive to store my comics)

I assumed most would being android and all

Doesn't appear to be any right now. I've seen other apps that support it so hopefully they update for that. What you could do is install something like foldersync that has Drive support. That will download the Drive files (comics in this case) unto an actual folder on the tablet which any Comic viewer can point to.

Thinking about picking one of these up. I saw on the Play store that people with Game informer subscriptions can get a digital version that works inside Google Play. Has anyone tried this yet?

edit: nevermind, it doesn't sync up. You just sideload a pdf file I guess. :)

Cartman86

Banned
The $25 dollar credit is per account and not per device btw, so if you're willing to log in/factory reset/log in /factory reset, you can have a lot of Play credit.

I'm not saying I'm gonna do this, but I'm probably gonna do this if they haven't shut it down by the time I get mine in 2013.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...om-multiple-accounts-gives-25-credit-in-each/

Should've done this when I rooted. When you just login to another Google account you can go into the store and get it to ask you to add a new credit card toy our play account to get $25 too. I did that, but no money :(

ok the creaking started again after this so I cut out a small piece of bubble wrap and placed it on top of the soft foam thingy
thing is not enough padding from that single black foam thingy so I added extra padding = zero screen creaking or being loose...

common google and asus

the creaking is prolly theres nothing holding up the screen
as in empty space

Does't this make the screen stick out more though?

Oh, and how in God's name do I connect to a WPA2 Enterprise wireless service? It's not in the list of security options when creating a wireless connection!

Cartman86

Banned
Anyone else having issues with the charger? I had this happen with OG Droid. When you plug it in the screen (or something) does not like it and will become unresponsive. Sometimes even performing random phantom presses. I've read about it before and it has something to do with either not enough current or too much. The little bricks seem to be cause. Maybe it's the surge protector i'm plugged into. All I know is that it scares me.

Blackface

Banned
Ordered in June, not a word about shipping. Put a cancellation request three days ago, and they have not gotten back to me. Decided to Contact Google Canada, they said "you should get it in two weeks". Even though I can walk into any store in Toronto and buy it since last Friday.

The way Google handles Canada is an embarrassed.

My gripes so far:

-Can't use Chrome in fullscreen mode.
-No HBO GO app.
-No CNN app.
-Tablet just froze up. Completely unresponsive...had to take icons/buttons multiple times to register a press. Ugh.

What this guy from XDA did finally got my nexus 7 feeling solid and non-squeaky, exactly the way I would have expected it. At least I didn't have to return it.

My first attempt helped with the lifted screen bit did not completely fix it, on my second attempt I placed my tablet face down on a magazine on a sturdy table and then loosened all the screws on the left side at least one full turn, I then used my left hand to push down and in on the silver bezel, while holding good pressure I tightened each of the screws making sure not to let off the pressure, when done I pressed the cover on flat and even, when I picked it up to check my work I found a perfectly seated screen. I don't have a pic of what my screen looked like but some one posted pics earlier in the thread that were exactly like mine.

edit: nope - back with a vengeance :(

Top Bottom