• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 7 |OT| Shhhhhhhh

Dolphins have a wild card spot right now?
ryan-tannehill.jpg

Their schedule for the rest of the year is pretty soft but I'm still giving them something like a 20% chance of making the playoffs.

eznark

Banned
Remember when the Packers were 3-3 and went on to win the Superbowl?

You are going to wish your team played in the AFC when the Packers are sitting at home watching the playoffs!

100%. If the Packers don't find a way to lose next Sunday I am very concerned about their ability to win fewer than 12 games. If they win 11-12 they may as well just forfeit their playoff game.

Sunday at Jacksonville is the definition of a must-lose game for Green Bay.

squicken

What about the Jets?

Well I always thought CLE was so bad b/c Holmgren was like a de facto owner that made the team run his offense but didn't really put in the time to oversee it. The owner didn't want to own the team and was never there. With the Jets there are some strong personalties, but they seem to work. Getting old and missing on drafts happens to lots of teams

Seriously. At least Cleveland has the excuse of being talentless for a decade. There is a fair bit of talent in Carolina, just no brains.

Yeah that's the CAR difference. There's talent, but also baffling contracts given out, a coach who seems clueless, and a QB who might sink the careers of everyone who comes into contact with him

Bowser

Seriously. At least Cleveland has the excuse of being talentless for a decade. There is a fair bit of talent in Carolina, just no brains.

It's like former beat writer Darin Gantt said. Marty built this roster with a smash mouth power run game in mind. He and John Fox were on the same page. It's no coincidence D-Will and J-Stew were the first pair of teammates to rush for 1,100 yards each in the same season in a run-heavy, play action deep pass offense. Then Rivera was hired, Chud was hired, they installed this read-option scheme (which, honestly, was made our base offense this year when it most certainly was not last year) that instead of helping Cam develop into a pro-style passer, has him responsible for every decision of the offense. That's asking a lot out of a second year QB, especially one who didn't spend 3-4 years in college running an offense. And the read-option scheme is a great disservice to our backs, whose best traits are finding a hole with their vision and then hitting it hard - the read-option has Cam decide whether or not to hand the ball off, there's no "finding" of a hole by the RBs, and by the time the RB gets the ball, he's already got a DE/LB in his hip pocket. I mean, for fuck's sake, we've paid out $50m guaranteed to a trio of RBs who combined for 16 carries in a one score game (and only 2 carries from $43m man D-Will, 8 carries combined vs SEA and DAL). There is no reason Cam should be passing 37 times in a one score game. Look at the game we won and the one we arguably should have won - NO: 41 rushes, 20 passes; ATL: 35 rushes, 25 passes. The coaching staff can't place the entire offense on Cam's shoulders.

But what makes Marty culpable in this is that he constructed this roster, then hired and handed over the keys to Rivera who's running a scheme that does not utilize the roster that was built. Fox and Hurney read off the same page of music, Rivera/Chud and Hurney are/were in completely different books.

bionic77

100%. If the Packers don't find a way to lose next Sunday I am very concerned about their ability to win fewer than 12 games. If they win 11-12 they may as well just forfeit their playoff game.

Sunday at Jacksonville is the definition of a must-lose game for Green Bay.
Yeah I think 10 wins the most you can get and be a legit SB contender. Any more and you risk getting homefield and losing to some goober virgin or alleged rapist.

Better to play it safe and stay at a healthy 8-8 or 9-7. You don't look like some damn showoff and you also are going to be a huge favorite to win the Superbowl.

Bowser

Players aren't a fan of the move:

Joe Person ‏@josephperson
Panthers wideout Steve Smith when asked about the firing of Marty Hurney, said: "It sucks."

Joe Person‏@josephperson
Smith said he did not see this coming, he declined to use the word scapegoat, saying he did not know what expectations were or were not met.

eznark

Banned
It's like former beat writer Darin Gantt said. Marty built this roster with a smash mouth power run game in mind. He and John Fox were on the same page. It's no coincidence D-Will and J-Stew were the first pair of teammates to rush for 1,100 yards each in the same season in a run-heavy, play action deep pass offense. Then Rivera was hired, Chud was hired, they installed this read-option scheme (which, honestly, was made our base offense this year when it most certainly was not last year) that instead of helping Cam develop into a pro-style passer, has him responsible for every decision of the offense. That's asking a lot out of a second year QB, especially one who didn't spend 3-4 years in college running an offense. And the read-option scheme is a great disservice to our backs, whose best traits are finding a hole with their vision and then hitting it hard - the read-option has Cam decide whether or not to hand the ball off, there's no "finding" of a hole by the RBs, and by the time the RB gets the ball, he's already got a DE/LB in his hip pocket. I mean, for fuck's sake, we've paid out $50m guaranteed to a trio of RBs who combined for 16 carries in a one score game (and only 2 carries from $43m man D-Will, 8 carries combined vs SEA and DAL). There is no reason Cam should be passing 37 times in a one score game. Look at the game we won and the one we arguably should have won - NO: 41 rushes, 20 passes; ATL: 35 rushes, 25 passes. The coaching staff can't place the entire offense on Cam's shoulders.

But what makes Marty culpable in this is that he constructed this roster, then hired and handed over the keys to Rivera who's running a scheme that does not utilize the roster that was built. Fox and Hurney read off the same page of music, Rivera/Chud and Hurney are/were in completely different books.

I think the Panthers simply fell in love with the Scam Flash far too much and bought into it far too hard. Look at Washington. RGIII is a significantly better passer (he is accurate and has been far more intelligent in his reads than I expected considering he played zero competent defenses in college) but the Redskins spent all summer figuring out the best way to build a winner. The Panthers seem to have decided to say "fuck winning, let's unleash Cam!" They don't have the defensive talent to play the all-or-nothing offense that a guy like Cam is going to play. They also cannot afford to abandon the running game and hope to win. Griffin has been successful because they have him shackled. The Redskins generally play conservative, run the football, and don't force a lot on RG. It's smart and will make him a better football player.

I think the real difference there is that Shannahan is a confident coach. He feels like he isn't coaching for his job every single day so he can bring along their star slowly and surely. Rivera on the other hand is coaching like he is scared while Chud is coaching for a promotion with a different organization.

The Panthers are in a tough spot, I definitely do not envy them.

I wonder if Carolina will come after the Giant's Marc Ross? College scouting director...I would hate that but when you win other teams will pick you clean...

The Panthers are scapegoating the gm? :jnc

Marty Hurney should have been fired. (A long time ago)

Ron Rivera will be fired by the end of the season as well and probably get another DC job somewhere else.

Chud will probably get another OC job somewhere else (all his HC buzz has gone way down).

No, we're not going to dump a No.1 pick at QB in the middle of his second season. Especially when our back-up options are Derek Anderson and Jimmy Clausen. It doesn't look like we're going to be in contention for anything this season anyway. Let Cam finish the season, see if he can possibly pull himself out of this funk.

AFC North is dogshit. Somehow, the NFC West and AFC North have switched, with the Seahawks and Cardinals being the Ravens/Steelers, the Rams are the Bengals, and the Niners the Browns.

Before this weeks game, I said the Ravens would go 9-7, which I still believe they will. This season, with the all the injuries, may be a neccessary evil for the future of the franchise. Joe Flacco is going to get exposed as a fraud, riding his defense and RB's success into APPEARING to be an adequate QB, when in reality he is a huge detriment to our team. Now with this season going to shit, especially on defense with injury, there will be nothing to prop up Joe. He tanks this year, we can let him go. We can bail on this Joe Flacco experiment after this year.

Cam Cameron is a problem too. I say we fire him today, and bring in Buck Showalter for the rest of the year and see what he can do.

jmdajr

AFC North is dogshit. Somehow, the NFC West and AFC North have switched, with the Seahawks and Cardinals being the Ravens/Steelers, the Rams are the Bengals, and the Niners the Browns.

Before this weeks game, I said the Ravens would go 9-7, which I still believe they will. This season, with the all the injuries, may be a neccessary evil for the future of the franchise. Joe Flacco is going to get exposed as a fraud, riding his defense and RB's success into APPEARING to be an adequate QB, when in reality he is a huge detriment to our team. Now with this season going to shit, especially on defense with injury, there will be nothing to prop up Joe. He tanks this year, we can let him go. We can bail on this Joe Flacco experiment after this year.

Cam Cameron is a problem too. I say we fire him today, and bring in Buck Showalter for the rest of the year and see what he can do.

How was your trip to Houston. Hope fans didn't give you too much crap. Most Raven fans I saw were treated nice enough.

Bowser

I think the Panthers simply fell in love with the Scam Flash far too much and bought into it far too hard. Look at Washington. RGIII is a significantly better passer (he is accurate and has been far more intelligent in his reads than I expected considering he played zero competent defenses in college) but the Redskins spent all summer figuring out the best way to build a winner. The Panthers seem to have decided to say "fuck winning, let's unleash Cam!" They don't have the defensive talent to play the all-or-nothing offense that a guy like Cam is going to play. They also cannot afford to abandon the running game and hope to win. Griffin has been successful because they have him shackled. The Redskins generally play conservative, run the football, and don't force a lot on RG. It's smart and will make him a better football player.

I think the real difference there is that Shannahan is a confident coach. He feels like he isn't coaching for his job every single day so he can bring along their star slowly and surely. Rivera on the other hand is coaching like he is scared while Chud is coaching for a promotion with a different organization.

The Panthers are in a tough spot, I definitely do not envy them.

While I agree with the "Chud coaching for a promotion" line of thinking (it definitely seems like he's calling complicated, "innovative" plays to show how smart he is), I don't think Rivera is (well, I should say was) coaching scared. I think he's just coaching how he was brought up, that being in a conservative manner (4th and 1 vs ATL a prime example of this). But it's pretty unnerving to see that he seems to not have improved as a gameday coach at all from game 1 to game 22. We are still managing to stay in games til the end, but we are still, time and again, failing to execute in crucial end-game situations, whether it be on the defensive or offensive side of the ball.

I'm afraid Rivera was interviewed and passed over 8-9 different times for a head coaching position for a reason. The guy just seems built to be a coordinator and not a head coach. Think about the 7 wins we have in Rivera's tenure:

• Jags (HC: Deadman Walking Del Rio/QB: Rookie Gabbert)
  • Redskins (HC: Shanahan/QB: John Beck)
  • Indy (HC: Robot Jim Caldwell/QB: Curtis Painter)
  • TB (HC: Raheem "Youngry" Morris/QB: Fatman)
  • Texans (HC: Kubiak/QB: Rookie 5th round pick TJ Yates)
  • NO (HC: Interim-Interim Aaron Kromer/QB: Brees)

Not a very impressive list - we've either had a decided advantage at QB or faced an absolute retard of a HC. I can honestly say Rivera hasn't outcoached a team when faced with equal talent. Disappointing, to say the least.

eznark

Banned
Marty Hurney should have been fired. (A long time ago)

Ron Rivera will be fired by the end of the season as well and probably get another DC job somewhere else.

Chud will probably get another OC job somewhere else (all his HC buzz has gone way down).

No, we're not going to dump a No.1 pick at QB in the middle of his second season. Especially when our back-up options are Derek Anderson and Jimmy Clausen. It doesn't look like we're going to be in contention for anything this season anyway. Let Cam finish the season, see if he can possibly pull himself out of this funk.

I shit on Cam more than anyone but he isn't the problem and he definitely can be successful, but he isn't Aaron Rodgers. He isn't Tom Brady. He can't win games on his own. He can't dominate a football game through smart play. He can't make accurate throws to keep drives moving and churn time. He absolutely needs a running game to do some of that. That isn't a knock. Those are Hall of Fame players who are football-brilliant. Manning doens't come along every draft.

The Redskins are doing it right (so far...we'll see if they can maintain that discipline) the Titans, Vikings (I think that will stop after this week) and Panthers are doing it wrong.

How was your trip to Houston. Hope fans didn't give you too much crap. Most Raven fans I saw were treated nice enough.

The trip was great except for the fucking game on the field! I thought we'd probably lose, but at least make a game of it. But the fans were pretty classy, and the stadium was crazy nice. I was very impressed by Reliant. In Houston, I ate at some nice places, and had a weird meal at a restaurant named Feast, where I had pig brain, kidney pie, tilefish head, and some other stuff.

Yeah, so good trip, if you forget about the game part itself. My biggest takeaway: HOUSTON LOVES JJ WATT SO MUCH.

squicken

I've never been more baffled by a team's handling of a guy than I am with Quinn Ojinnaka and STL. He started every game in preseason, but was cut. After some week 1 injuries, he was resigned, and started every game until yesterday. They just cut him again.

How is he either a starter or cut? The only thing I can think is that he is so bad, and he really is terrible, that they think no one will pick him up and they can just resign him again if needed

edit: Why wouldn't they love JJ WATT? He's probably the best defensive player in the league and maybe the best non-QB. Glad you enjoyed the trip. Sucks about Flacco, though I think there's enough to see now for Ozzie to never think of giving him big money

I shit on Cam more than anyone but he isn't the problem and he definitely can be successful, but he isn't Aaron Rodgers. He isn't Tom Brady. He can't win games on his own. He can't dominate a football game through smart play. He can't make accurate throws to keep drives moving and churn time. He absolutely needs a running game to do some of that.

I 100% agree.

That's why it's all the more frustrating to see millions dumped into the backfield and then only have our backs used as blockers.

4th and 1 against the Falcons.
4th and Goal against the Seahawks.

I've never claimed Cam was perfect, or even great. And he certainly hasn't handled things well off the field at all this season. But the Panthers haven't exactly placed him in a position to succeed. At least not this season.

Talamius

Bowser already covered the reasons the Panthers fanbase are happy about this move. Some of the contracts and draft picks Hurney gave out were indefensible. And yes, players aren't a fan of the move because they may actually have to play up to those insane contracts.

Rivera cannot be long for this job. If he's not gone this week then he'll be gone soon. No way a new GM endorses a 7-15 (and counting) coach.

As for Cam, I would not be surprised if Derek is named starting QB for the Chicago game. I think the press conference yesterday may have been the last straw. We'll see.

It's going to be bad for a few years, but if Richardson makes a decent hire there's hope. Carolina has a lot of bad contracts and bad decisions with draft picks to recover from.

Troll

Banned
While I agree with the "Chud coaching for a promotion" line of thinking (it definitely seems like he's calling complicated, "innovative" plays to show how smart he is), I don't think Rivera is (well, I should say was) coaching scared. I think he's just coaching how he was brought up, that being in a conservative manner (4th and 1 vs ATL a prime example of this). But it's pretty unnerving to see that he seems to not have improved as a gameday coach at all from game 1 to game 22. We are still managing to stay in games til the end, but we are still, time and again, failing to execute in crucial end-game situations, whether it be on the defensive or offensive side of the ball.

I'm afraid Rivera was interviewed and passed over 8-9 different times for a head coaching position for a reason. The guy just seems built to be a coordinator and not a head coach. Think about the 7 wins we have in Rivera's tenure:

• Jags (HC: Deadman Walking Del Rio/QB: Rookie Gabbert)
  • Redskins (HC: Shanahan/QB: John Beck)
  • Indy (HC: Robot Jim Caldwell/QB: Curtis Painter)
  • Texans (HC: Kubiak/QB: Rookie 5th round pick TJ Yates)
  • NO (HC: Interim-Interim Aaron Kromer/QB: Brees)

Not a very impressive list - we've either had a decided advantage at QB or faced an absolute retard of a HC. I can honestly say Rivera hasn't outcoached a team when faced with equal talent. Disappointing, to say the least.

Shit. You're right.

jmdajr

The trip was great except for the fucking game on the field! I thought we'd probably lose, but at least make a game of it. But the fans were pretty classy, and the stadium was crazy nice. I was very impressed by Reliant. In Houston, I ate at some nice places, and had a weird meal at a restaurant named Feast, where I had pig brain, kidney pie, tilefish head, and some other stuff.

Yeah, so good trip, if you forget about the game part itself. My biggest takeaway: HOUSTON LOVES JJ WATT SO MUCH.

Yup he's our big, white, honkey hero.

Not a hero = Jacoby Jones. Man we booed the crap out of him. Sort of felt bad for the guy, I mean WE kicked him out. Deservedly so but still.

I hope the boos for Mario Williams in a couple of weeks are louder.

eznark

Banned
edit: Why wouldn't they love JJ WATT? He's probably the best defensive player in the league and maybe the best non-QB. Glad you enjoyed the trip. Sucks about Flacco, though I think there's enough to see now for Ozzie to never think of giving him big money

He is also probably the most charismatic and naturally media savvy player in the league. The guy never says the wrong thing, is never dour and is constantly doing charity work/community involvement.

He's Reggie White without the religious nuttery.

Bowser already covered the reasons the Panthers fanbase are happy about this move. Some of the contracts and draft picks Hurney gave out were indefensible. And yes, players aren't a fan of the move because they may actually have to play up to those insane contracts.

Rivera cannot be long for this job. If he's not gone this week then he'll be gone soon. No way a new GM endorses a 7-15 (and counting) coach.

As for Cam, I would not be surprised if Derek is named starting QB for the Chicago game. I think the press conference yesterday may have been the last straw. We'll see.

It's going to be bad for a few years, but if Richardson makes a decent hire there's hope. Carolina has a lot of bad contracts and bad decisions with draft picks to recover from.

:jnc

Bowser

Cam, for better or worse, is the future of this franchise for the next two-plus seasons. We have to find out what we have with him. There's not a shot in hell he's getting benched.

Niners = Steelers
Seahawks = Ravens
Rams = Bengals
Cardinals = Browns

Smokey

Great feeling to wake up the day after a beatdown of fraud Joe flaclol. Even better that BaltimoreLarry was at the stadium to bear witness.

As I said last week that Packers smackdown was needed to get dem boys re focused. Started feeling themselves a little too much and that beating on the ravens was the perfect response. This was the much bigger game of the two so if a beatdown was going to happen this year I'd rather it be against a Packers team, and not against a squad that has a direct impact on playoff seeding.

Special teams is still a problem though and I think kubes really needs to take a look at the ST coach or something. They are really bad.

I'm actually really glad J.J Watt turned out to be such a beast. After the Texans beat the Dolphins in week 1 everyone was talking about how bad Tannehill was at throwing over the line because J.J. Watt kept swatting passes (2 of which turned into INTs). It turns out Tannehill wasn't really the problem after all, he was just dealing with a freak of nature who happens to be a major headache for all QBs!

jmdajr

Great feeling to wake up the day after a beatdown of fraud Joe flaclol. Even better that BaltimoreLarry was at the stadium to bear witness.

As I said last week that Packers smackdown was needed to get dem boys re focused. Started feeling themselves a little too much and that beating on the ravens was the perfect response. This was the much bigger game of the two so if a beatdown was going to happen this year I'd rather it be against a Packers team, and not against a squad that has a direct impact on playoff seeding.

Special teams is still a problem though and I think kubes really needs to take a look at the ST coach or something. They are really bad.

Nice to see the team able to complete long drives but shit. Give the guys a break. Be nice to start at the 30 for once.

Talamius

Cam, for better or worse, is the future of this franchise for the next two-plus seasons. We have to find out what we have with him. There's not a shot in hell he's getting benched.

Like I said, we'll see. His body language has got to improve and he's got to win the team over in the locker room right now. Cam is a better talent than Derek easily but Cam has to prove he can lead. Get rid of the towel, get up and involved on the sideline.

Smokey

Yup he's our big, white, honkey hero.

Not a hero = Jacoby Jones. Man we booed the crap out of him. Sort of felt bad for the guy, I mean WE kicked him out. Deservedly so but still.

I hope the boos for Mario Williams in a couple of weeks are louder.

Naw they won't be. That Jacoby muff is burned into Houston sports history. Playoff game man where they lost by 7 points. Mario was hardly ever on the field so whatever. But jacoby? Fucka Jacoby. He had to go his personal safety was at risk here lol.

eznark

Banned
Like I said, we'll see. His body language has got to improve and he's got to win the team over in the locker room right now. Cam is a better talent than Derek easily but Cam has to prove he can lead. Get rid of the towel, get up and involved on the sideline.

Outside of baseless speculation from pot-stirring trolls like that clown eznark, is there any indication that he has "lost the team."

Ben has always played better from behind. Weird but true. He is similar to Eli in that way. Not so similar in being a sexless virgin.

But some of what you are complaining about is on the coaches. How many times have we seen Ben and the offense on fire in the first half of a game doing whatever they wanted against a defense, then we go up ten and suddenly we decide we need to run to close out the game. The only problem is we have not been able to do that consistently for like 7 years. The coaches are- still calling the game as if we have an elite defense, when it is obvious that they are not. The other team throws on us and gets a lead late and then it is up to Ben to turn it on in that one drive. We win more often than we lose in that circumstance but it can be infuriating to watch it as a fan.

Steelers coaches do that, however that's not what i'm talking about. I'm talking about Ben trying for those big kill shots that end up in taking unnecessary sacks or interceptions right after a lead.

Bowser

And I know a lot of people deride Hurney for the contracts he handed out, but a lot of that was at the behest of Richardson. I do think Hurney needed to go (at the end of the season though) just to bring fresh perspective to the roster, coaching staff, and franchise in general, but it's just such a bizarre move at the time. Hurney tanked his credibility for Richardson and Richardson responded by unceremoniously firing him in the middle of the season when there is literally no active role for a GM besides being the frontman for the organization (since Richardson refuses to do so).

Gantt wrote about this on PFT and posits it's more to do with his hiring of Rivera and co. than anything else:

How the Panthers are closer to winning now than they were last night is a mystery, because many of the moves Hurney made in recent years were strictly of the owner’s bidding.

From taking a hard line on franchised defensive end Julius Peppers to paying loyalty contracts to players such as Jake Delhomme to keep the 12-4 2008 division title team together, many of the moves Hurney was criticized most heavily for had Richardson’s thumbprints all over them. Likewise using the uncapped year in 2010 to clear the books for a post-lockout splurge on fan favorites such as DeAngelo Williams were moves dictated from upstairs.

The former sportswriter turned salary cap manager handled those moves, and built as best he could after the Panthers once-happy marriage with coach John Fox fell apart in 2009.

The current mess is as much about the coaching staff he hired not using the players he acquired properly, but Hurney was an easy fall guy for a team which had won nine games since the start of the 2009 season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...firing-a-reflection-of-richardsons-mortality/

The towel thing is so damn overblown. He wears it after TDs too and no one says anything. That's just his style, he did it when he went undefeated at Auburn. Too many people focus on a fucking towel for no damn reason. It's not gonna do anything if he doesn't wear the towel.

Outside of baseless speculation from pot-stirring trolls like that clown eznark, is there any indication that he has "lost the team."

:jnc

Dragon

Banned
It feels good for the Pats to win a close game but man looking like cow feces in the process doesn't make me happy. I mean shit, the Jets suck hard, are the Patriots that bad now?

jmdajr

Too bad that Antonio Brown TD pass didn't work because the guy had a brain fart. Those would have been some nice fantasy points. Then again, I don't know if you can count something like that.

KingGondo

Banned
So what are the odds Shurmur gets fired before the end of the regular season?

The Browns finally have offensive weapons, but they're horribly misutilized. Playcalling sucks. Pretty sure Haslam has already lost all faith in the offensive coaches.

Coaching is the problem. It would be nice to get someone like Gruden in to attempt to right the ship and get some momentum going into next season.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

They can't bench sCam. They'd have to install a new offense and it'd probably destroy their young qb's confidence (I call that Sanchize sydrome.)

And ez, while I agree that RG3 is a significantly better qb than Newton, I don't think that offense Shanahan is currently running is going to hold up. It's either going to get their franchise qb injured and/or become ineffective as coaches get a look at it. You can't run that college option run crap in the league as your permanent scheme. It's possible that the Skins evolve it to something more traditional, but as is, RG3 takes too many hits.

That's a nice shirt Suggs wore to his presser. I think it must have been designed by Bill Belichick.

eznark

Banned
It feels good for the Pats to win a close game but man looking like cow feces in the process doesn't make me happy. I mean shit, the Jets suck hard, are the Patriots that bad now?

Yup! But like me and bionic have been saying for three years, sucking is the best way to win the Super Bowl so maybe you guys will finally get one now.

Texans and Falcons on the other hand are doomed unless they can get a couple key guys injured.

Talamius

Steve Smith should not have to bark at him on this year for sulking AFTER Gross did last year. He's the future of the franchise, he should be leading by example.

I'll be honest, as much as I hate the Jets I think Sanchez makes them look worse than they actually are. Their passing defense is actually pretty decent and that seems to keep them in most games.

But yeah, the Jets are average at best and the Patriots don't look much better unless they are playing a team with zero pass defense.

Top Bottom