• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 7 |OT| Shhhhhhhh

harSon

Banned
After sleeping on yesterday's win..

There's always been one thing I have never liked about Ben Rothlisberger and it has happened every game this season.

Ben always takes his foot off the gas when the Steelers get a lead. Watch for it - Steelers get ahead, the drive immediately after will always stall, and is often a three and out with Ben trying to force something big downfield.

He has done this for years. It's his greatest flaw, and before this season it worked for him because he was sitting on the Steelers defense.

This game would have been another collapse if it was any team but the Bengals. Ben did the same thing here - offense stalled when they got a lead. Only difference is the Bungholes could do nothing with it.

This is where Haley's offense will be beneficial. Ben needs to learn to sustain drives after the lead is gotten. The most important touchdown is the one after you get the lead, and that's the one that Tom Brady and (at one time) Peyton Manning make sure they get.

Are you sure that's Ben, or the offensive coordinator's fault? We aren't in the no huddle, Ben's not making these calls.

Smokey

Yup! But like me and bionic have been saying for three years, sucking is the best way to win the Super Bowl so maybe you guys will finally get one now.

Texans and Falcons on the other hand are doomed unless they can get a couple key guys injured.

I'd say Cushing is pretty key you cold hearted northener.

eznark

Banned
I'd say Cushing is pretty key you cold hearted northener.

Yeah, if you played against actual professional football teams. Unfortunately you play in the AFC, so you'll need to probably lose Watt and one of your TE's. It's a sacrifice that I hope you decide not to make.

edit: Why wouldn't they love JJ WATT? He's probably the best defensive player in the league and maybe the best non-QB. Glad you enjoyed the trip. Sucks about Flacco, though I think there's enough to see now for Ozzie to never think of giving him big money

Nothing wrong with them loving Watt. I love Watt. He just looks bigger than everyone on the field, and always seemed to be involved. I noted their love because they must have played 10 clips of JJ Watt on their screens for every 1 of another player.

And the Jacoby hate.....so much hate. The booes for him were the loudest, all the fans around us were cursing him worse than anyone else. They knew all about his failures, pointing out his fumble last week, and seemed to be tracking his progress like crazy stalker fans.

Smokey

Yeah, if you played against actual professional football teams. Unfortunately you play in the AFC, so you'll need to probably lose Watt and one of your TE's. It's a sacrifice that I hope you decide not to make.

Dont act like you don't like Texas' team. Too many key Wisconsin corn fed white boys down here for you to not!

Smokey

And the Jacoby hate.....so much hate. The booes for him were the loudest, all the fans around us were cursing him worse than anyone else. They knew all about his failures, pointing out his fumble last week, and seemed to be tracking his progress like crazy stalker fans.

How was the stadium atmosphere? It came through well on TV, but curious to what you thought? How's it compare to Baltimore?

One nit picky thing that always bothers me...why the fuck do you build a retractable roof...if it's NEVER open?!

KingKong

natalie-portman-10-20-12.gif

Well she sure looks nice.

daaaaamn looks like push up bras are a good look for her

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
After sleeping on yesterday's win..

There's always been one thing I have never liked about Ben Rothlisberger and it has happened every game this season.

Ben always takes his foot off the gas when the Steelers get a lead. Watch for it - Steelers get ahead, the drive immediately after will always stall, and is often a three and out with Ben trying to force something big downfield.

Doesn't that mean he's trying to step on the opponent's throat?

@NFL_ATL
Panthers announce GM Marty Hurney relieved of duties.
CONGRATS PANTHER FANS!

bionic77

Are you sure that's Ben, or the offensive coordinator's fault? We aren't in the no huddle, Ben's not making these calls.
Coaches are too conservative but I think it is safe to say Ben plays better from behind. On and off the field.

Yup! But like me and bionic have been saying for three years, sucking is the best way to win the Super Bowl so maybe you guys will finally get one now.

Texans and Falcons on the other hand are doomed unless they can get a couple key guys injured.
The Falcons are definitely doomed to lose at home in their first playoff game, but don't forget how horrible the Texans looked in losing to Green Bay. If they can string together another 2 or 3 losses like that then they would be a serious contender in the postseason.

Dragon

Banned
I think it's hilarious that the Steelers and Pats suck hard this year and they both have problems holding leads. If they played each other it'd end in a tie. No question in my mind.

We already lost Grimes, so we need to lose one more I guess.

The Texans have lost Cushing, so they need to lose one more as well.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I'll be honest, as much as I hate the Jets I think Sanchez makes them look worse than they actually are. Their passing defense is actually pretty decent and that seems to keep them in most games.

But yeah, the Jets are average at best and the Patriots don't look much better unless they are playing a team with zero pass defense.

I thought Sanchez looked pretty good yesterday tbh, The only really questionable decisions I saw were when he was about to get killed by a defender.

Not a huge fan of how the way the end of the game was handled by the refs, granted, what could they do to stop the rush onto the field.

The offensive co-ordinator doesn't throw the ball.

I'm not talking about the play call itself, but how its executed. Last night for example, Haley left a lot of contingencies in for Ben - Miller was wide open on a swing pass over the middle, but Ben decided to go deep for Brown on 3rd down when he was well covered.

Doesn't that mean he's trying to step on the opponent's throat?

Getting another touchdown when you have a slim four point lead isn't stepping on your opponents throat. It's this letting other teams hang around after getting a lead that has the Steelers at .500.

bionic77

I think it's hilarious that the Steelers and Pats suck hard this year and they both have problems holding leads. If they played each other it'd end in a tie. No question in my mind.
We beat the Jets convincingly. You almost made Sanchez look like an NFL quarterback.

Pats are much worse than we are!

I thought Sanchez looked pretty good yesterday tbh, The only really questionable decisions I saw were when he was about to get killed by a defender.

Not a huge fan of how the way the end of the game was handled by the refs, granted, what could they do to stop the rush onto the field.

Jets coaches were the problem yesterday. How do you line up in the shotgun on 3rd and 1 at the Pats 3 yard line. That has to be one of the worst play calls ever.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Jets coaches were the problem yesterday. How do you line up in the shotgun on 3rd and 1 at the Pats 3 yard line. That has to be one of the worst play calls ever.

At the end of the game? Yeah, gotta run the ball there and either pick up the first or at the very least force the Pats to use their last TO.

squicken

So what are the odds Shurmur gets fired before the end of the regular season?

The Browns finally have offensive weapons, but they're horribly misutilized. Playcalling sucks. Pretty sure Haslam has already lost all faith in the offensive coaches.

Coaching is the problem. It would be nice to get someone like Gruden in to attempt to right the ship and get some momentum going into next season.

Unless there's an obvious interim on the staff there's really no way to fire him. It kind of sucks to waste a year of TRich and Weeden, but a front office clean out was what was really needed. You just have to hope the money guys stay in their lane and not think they know personnel

KingGondo

Banned
Unless there's an obvious interim on the staff there's really no way to fire him. It kind of sucks to waste a year of TRich and Weeden, but a front office clean out was what was really needed. You just have to hope the money guys stay in their lane and not think they know personnel
Yeah, probably true. At least Weeden has been well-protected and Richardson has only played lightly. Neither should be much worse as far as wear goes when the new coach comes in next season.

I'm also happy with how Gordon has played, and I'm glad Cooper is making the most of his opportunity.

It's just grating when this team could easily be 4-3 and they only have 1 win.

jmdajr

How was the stadium atmosphere? It came through well on TV, but curious to what you thought? How's it compare to Baltimore?

One nit picky thing that always bothers me...why the fuck do you build a retractable roof...if it's NEVER open?!

They opened it after the game was over! It actually looked cool.

On another note the Stadium looked fucking bad ass with everyone wearing red. Atmosphere was really good.

Also, they have these hilarious animated videos for when Antonio Smith gets a sack. I forgot exactly what it said (ninja assassin, ninja strike, something like that), but they had 94 animated like a ninja. Looked like some Samurai Showdown shit sound FX and all. It was cheesy but cool.

Mrbob

The Falcons are definitely doomed to lose at home in their first playoff game, but don't forget how horrible the Texans looked in losing to Green Bay. If they can string together another 2 or 3 losses like that then they would be a serious contender in the postseason.

So what you are saying is I should root for the Bears to lose by 30 tonight?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
What the hell was Scam wearing in the Post Conference Interview

That shit is a sin to wear

Yeah, the Jets coaching on offense has been shitty all season. And part of the problem is that Rex doesn't give a shit about the offense.

Saw this over at bigblueinteractive:

nhgcd.jpg

:jnc I need to have that last quarter turned into an avatar.:) I'll change the Eli mask in early November over to it, I think.

K-19

Banned
So, NFL-Gaf, got a question regarding Fantasy. This week our commish decided to hook up the lazy asses that didn't switch our bye week players. I found our because I was up almost 50 points and then was down 6 when the two best benched players showed up on my opponents active roster. The league is a money league, so I'm pretty pissed he did this, if they don't update thats on them is my take. I'm at 2-5 now, after losing two games by five or less (the points were on the bench to cover more than that) and today. I really want to just dump everyone, but am unsure what sends the best message. Should I go through and pick up all IR players, start them for the rest of the season and bench the Can't Cut list dudes, or should I actively look for the worst match ups and go for the lowest possible score with starters?

Thanks for the help.

Yeah that's pretty annoying. The thing is that your "message" will just permit them to win more match-up. You get fucked in both situation anyway man, tighten your ass and try to get the best spot you can. FF man.

What the hell was Scam wearing in the Post Conference Interview

That shit is a sin to wear

After all the whining, I had to look up the picture myself.

It's even worse than I could imagine.

I can't hate on a young guy with money. He can spend his money however he pleases.

But if he spent as much time trying to get better as a QB as he does trying to be an ICON by buying ugly-ass clothes...

Bowser

I'm not saying I advocate it, but I think he still lives in Raleigh, and I have to think if Cowher wants to be in football ops, the job is his in Carolina. Richardson will most likely go for a former player and coach wanting to oversee the organization.

It's proven to be a terrible model though and I'm hoping we go after a young up-and-coming GM from a team like the Giants or Ravens.

Nice and confused. What is she even doing?

Filming a movie, I believe. Pretty sure that's a scene she's filming and not just her being straight up confused about her surroundings ha.

squicken

Something that's going to kill STL going forward is the ST. Philbin faked a punt and McCarthey onside kicked successfully. And they brought this up on the radio. If the worst that can happen is a FG allowed, then there's no reason not to be aggressive vs them.

Jenkins is regressing. He keeps trying to read the QB and has given up 3 easy TDs in two weeks b/c of it. You can live with the HoF throws from Rodgers, but the easy ones you have to avoid.

Bradford's money is a product of the old system and they should never resign him at his current level of play, but they made a value judgement on Chris Long and extended him. I don't give shit about hurries and pressures, which he seems to get a lot of. He doesn't force fumbles, get sacks (unless it's against AZ), or make QBs rush throws for INTs. He doesn't change the game. That's not a $10m/yr player

harSon

Banned
The offensive co-ordinator doesn't throw the ball.

I'm not talking about the play call itself, but how its executed. Last night for example, Haley left a lot of contingencies in for Ben - Miller was wide open on a swing pass over the middle, but Ben decided to go deep for Brown on 3rd down when he was well covered.

That's once instance. Typically after getting the lead, we start doing running plays and short screens/dump offs, ie. getting away from what got us the lead in the first place.

Yeah I don't believe Shurmur will be fired before the Season ends, and as for Weeden in no way is this wasted he seems to be figuring out things pretty nicely so far. As for Richarson he just dosent seem all that healthy right now. It feels kind of weird being half way through the season and not already calling for a new Qb.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Filming a movie, I believe. Pretty sure that's a scene she's filming and not just her being straight up confused about her surroundings ha.

She looks like she's about 20 seconds into the middle of a panic attack or something.

I can't believe Cam Newton has officially out pouted J-Pout. Even Cutler probably thinks his body language is awful.

In all seriousness, I'm not entirely sure his career will be a bust since the dude has freakish talent. He's just not used to playing teams where the lineman are as fast as the QB and the linebackers are even faster (even though he came from the SEC). He's also incapable of dealing with losing at this point.

Can you imagine if someone with ridiculous intangibles like Tebow had this guy's talent?

Fair enough. Watch for it from now on.

I don't think that's just a Ben thing though, but the offense in general. Usually if not's a dumb play call, it's a holding penalty. Or a personal foul, or a key drop, or a missed block or a turnover. Something somebody somewhere on the O mucks up to kill an important drive. For that one, it was a bad decision by Ben.

BigAT

After all the whining, I had to look up the picture myself.

It's even worse than I could imagine.

I can't hate on a young guy with money. He can spend his money however he pleases.

But if he spent as much time trying to get better as a QB as he does trying to be an ICON by buying ugly-ass clothes...

It's like he sewed a button onto a shitty carpet then draped himself with it.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Yeah I don't believe Shurmur will be fired before the Season ends, and as for Weeden in no way is this wasted he seems to be figuring out things pretty nicely so far. As for Richarson he just dosent seem all that healthy right now. It feels kind of weird being half way through the season and not already calling for a new Qb.

I see you BlackGhost.

Finally warming up to old man Weeden, I like it.

Top Bottom