• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 7 |OT| Shhhhhhhh

squicken

I actually rather like the second one.

I do to. The Colts stadium is the modern archetype for those things now. Have those big windows to let in lots of natural light. I'm all in favor of modern stadium design. I feel like baseball went so stupid building retro stadiums that are now a dime a dozen and will soon enough look as lame as the cookie cookie multipurpose stadiums from the 60s they replaced.

Dare to be bold

Milchjon

I do to. The Colts stadium is the modern archetype for those things now. Have those big windows to let in lots of natural light. I'm all in favor of modern stadium design. I feel like baseball went so stupid building retro stadiums that are now a dime a dozen and will soon enough look as lame as the cookie cookie multipurpose stadiums from the 60s they replaced.

Dare to be bold

I don't think you can compare Lucas Oil to these. Lucas Oil is beautiful.

These are bold for the sake of being bold.

Talon

These types of designs are always the ones that throw people off at first and then are called treasured or iconic landmarks after about 5 years.

See: Sydney Opera House, Guttenheim Museum, ect.
Yeah, you are not comparing Frank Lloyd Wright and Jorn Utzon to a firm that designs football stadiums.

Cagey

Banned

Dare to be bold

It's why I hate the new Giants Stadium design so much. I don't find the building to be ugly, but it's worse: sterile and safe and forgettable.

Those artist renderings will never happen in Minnesota, but I think they're all excellent because they're so different.

Talon

Reliant Stadium's the first one I recall with the Glassbox approach, but I'm probably missing one.

Arizona's stadium is pretty cool.

I can't wait until they raze the Dome.

Yeah, you are not comparing Frank Lloyd Wright and Jorn Utzon to a firm that designs football stadiums.

I've spent a lot of time studying art history. I try not to put any artist above another on name alone. Or put a work down because of its source.

In any case I wasn't. I was making a comparison between buildings with bold designs, they happen to be buildings people know by name.

Chill out.

Fox318

HKS Architecture has released a couple concept designs for the upcoming Viking Stadium.

1016vikingsstadiumarchi.jpg

20121016stadium353.jpg

and

20120928stadiumview253.jpg

20121016stadium453.jpg

Wouldn't the lighting be a bitch with either design?

Just make it a giant vikebike.

Yeah and somewhere on the sternum is bruised as well. He apparently landed on the ball and the weight of two men on top of him just really pressed it in. Poor guy, was actually having a nice season and proving people wrong. At least he got enough solid performances in to help quell Cards fans and end the controversy. Wonder what the actual time table will be. It's going to get real ugly if Skelton goes down and we have to rely on a late 6th round pick. FMT's prophecy may come true now, no idea what to expect. Skelton should play better once he gets the reps in, not too down on him for his performance when he hadn't played since week 1. He successfully pulled of the drive to win the game with a FG anyway, just laid an egg in OT. Hope he shows up in far better form for Minny.

Yeah, Skeleton looked really unprepared to step on the field. Here's hoping he can prove he deserved to start in the first game.

I don't think you can compare Lucas Oil to these. Lucas Oil is beautiful.

These are bold for the sake of being bold.

Pretty much where I stand as well. I'm all for modernizing stadium design and I love the use (overuse) of glass for natural lighting. But they should also be somewhat aesthically pleasing. These are certainly bold, but they're also ugly.

I like the concept of the second one (all glass roof) though. Better shape and they would have a winner.

LJ11

Breakdown of the Amukamara interception against the Niners here:

http://bloggingthebeast.com/2012/10...-on-prince-amukamaras-interception-on-sunday/

The breakdown makes even more sense when you realize how things went in practice leading up to the game. Rolle went over the play during his regular appearance on Beningo and Roberts. From Ralph V's game review:

Outside of the Randy Moss play, Rolle had a nice week this week. We give him a lot of shit but credit where credit is due.

Amukamara did a good job staying home, because they had an inside vertical threat. Easily could have vacated his area and played the inside receiver running the dig. Teams fuck this up week in week out against the Niners. Alexis had a huge window to throw the dig, but he's throwing based on what he thinks will be open rather than what is open.

Niners do a good job working those throws. Hit you with quick outs and curls, easy to take those short routes and work them into longer passing concepts.

zychi

Banned
wouldnt the glass parts of that roof get destroyed easily by random bad weather?
snow took out the last vikings roof

JABEE

I feel so bad for Castillo. He broke down and cried while being interviewed. He has been a coach on this team for 18 years and now he's gone. The defense was having a much better season than the offense.

Talon

I feel so bad for Castillo. He broke down and cried while being interviewed. He has been a coach on this team for 18 years and now he's gone. The defense was having a much better season than the offense.
Look at what you've wrought, Andy Reid.

Fox318

If Reid would run the damn ball it wouldn't be a problem.

Andy is gone after this season. If you were gonna change you should have made a change earlier in the year.

etiolate

Banned
The 49ers won last year with amazing defense, ST, and turnover differential. The problem is that the only thing that is sustainable year to year in the NFL is good offense. And that's a function of having a good QB. The 49ers don't have the QB to carry them when the defense has a bad day and Akers misses FGs

Uh, good defense is sustainable. Good offense falls apart with one QB injury.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Castillo would still be a happy lil o-line coach if he wasn't moved over. Now he's just fired and out of a job.

squicken

Uh, good defense is sustainable. Good offense falls apart with one QB injury.

There have been so many articles on this that I'll just post the most recent one I've read

So the best offenses (+17.4) were better than the best defenses (+12.8) and regressed by significantly less than next season (+9.3 vs. +4.5). This is one of the reasons that having a great offense is better for the long-term health of a franchise than having a great defense. The correlation coefficient between Year N TDabAVG and Year N+1 TDabAVG was 0.47, while the CC between those variables on the defensive side of the ball was 0.35. The correlation coefficient between (unadjusted) Year N TDabAVG and Year N SOS was -0.10 for the offense (the weaker the SOS, the better the production) and -0.17 on defense. While not significant, this does indicate that strength of schedule has a larger impact on defensive numbers than offensive production.

http://www.footballperspective.com/rating-offenses-and-defenses-since-1970/

RBH

The Super Bowl Advisory Committee is expected to recommend Miami and New Orleans as finalists to host the 50th Super Bowl in 2016, a person with knowledge of the situation told USA TODAY Sports.

Owners, holding their fall meetings on Tuesday, will vote to narrow the competition to two finalists, with the game expected to be awarded at subsequent meetings in 2013.

Picking between two cities rich in Super Bowl lore would be consistent with statements in recent months by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell that the game would reflect the history of an event that was first staged in 1967. Including this season's finale, New Orleans (which will host Super Bowl XLVII) and Miami (and greater South Florida) will have combined to host 20 Super Bowls.

Owners will also narrow the list of finalists for Super Bowl LI in 2017, likely with a nod to the future. Houston and Santa Clara, Calif., are considered frontrunners. Houston has hosted two Super Bowls, including the 2004 game at Reliant Stadium. The San Francisco 49ers are set to open their new $1.2 billion stadium in Santa Clara in 2014.

"We'll get a Super Bowl," 49ers owner John York told USA TODAY Sports. "If not this time, it will be soon. It'll work itself out."

Other items on Tuesday's agenda:

— Owners are also expected to formally approve the sale of the Cleveland Browns to Jimmy Haslam III.

— The NFL could formally announce that it will stage a second regular-season game in London in 2013, on the heels of the previously-announced Jacksonville Jaguars-49ers contest. The Minnesota Vikings revealed over the weekend they would "host" the second game.

— Owners will consider opening a three-day "tampering" window for teams to talk to potential free agents before the market officially opens.

— A competition committee report will brief owners on the potential for a rulebook tweak that might better protect option-style quarterbacks.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...tings-super-bowl-l-new-orleans-miami/1636261/

If Reid would run the damn ball it wouldn't be a problem.

Andy is gone after this season. If you were gonna change you should have made a change earlier in the year.

It's his own fault for thinking he's the QB god and thinking he could turn Vick into a great pure passer.

Vick's not a young guy, he's well past his development stage. At this point, he's just going to be what he is: A gifted athlete and a speedy (but slowing) runner, but also a turnover-prone flawed passer with a propensity for getting injured. I understand that Vick had a great year a couple of years back (more like a few great games), but Reid got enamored with that and its clouded his judgement on his QB situation.

RBH said:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...miami/1636261/

I'm personally partial to Miami, but I don't see the NFL letting there be any chance of their 50th Super Bowl getting affected by rain. It'll be in the Superdome.

It's his own fault for thinking he's the QB god and thinking he could turn Vick into a great pure passer.

Vick's not a young guy, he's well past his development stage. At this point, he's just going to be what he is: A gifted athlete and a speedy (but slowing) runner, but also a turnover-prone flawed passer with a propensity for getting injured. I understand that Vick had a great year a couple of years back (more like a few great games), but Reid got enamored with that and its clouded his judgement on his QB situation.

I dont see how it has clouded his judgement about the QB situation at all. Its not like he had a better option at QB and turned it down for Vick. Even with all the turnovers by Vick the offense scored a ton of points last year and the defense was horrible. This year the offense sucks but the OL is historically bad without Peters and Kelce. It is hard to run or pass behind a line this bad.

I'd love a Super Bowl at Lambeau but it might be worth holding off until they get their video boards put in and some renovations to the upper bowl.

Also it's Green Bay no one wants to go there.

HKS Architecture has released a couple concept designs for the upcoming Viking Stadium.

20120928stadiumview253.jpg

I like this one. Fits LA. Not the Vikings though so hmmmmm.

Man Jerry is so funny:

Dallas Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones said based on what he saw from his team in a 31-29 loss to the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday, he believes it can compete for a championship this season.

"We've got to have some wins to make sure we're in the hunt, but I keep pointing out we're fresh off a world champion (Giants) that won nine of 16 ballgames last year," Jones said on his radio show on KRLD-FM Tuesday morning. "We know you want your team as healthy and as in sync as it can be as we get on into the end of the season. We know we've played one division game and won it. We got those guys (the Giants) coming back in here. We know that's going to be a big game for us.

"All of those things give us a chance to take a team that is, if you look at the pluses (Sunday), evolving into a team that can compete for the championship. Not next year. This year."

Jones was then asked again whether he meant to say the Cowboys would win a championship this season.

"Correct," Jones said. "Let me emphasize that. I'm not into everybody getting better or learning for years to come. It's this year."

FMT I admire you being able to talk shit two days after the Giants gave you an ass whooping. I know I'm still recovering from the Super Bowl.

Blown out by an ELIte qb ain't so bad! Now if we got shredded by a qb who is medically defined as a midget and then having your qb get embarrassed after the game by a fucking loser cb I'd probably squicken to a new team!

Dragon

Banned
Blown out by an ELIte qb ain't so bad! Now if we got shredded by a qb who is medically defined as a midget and then having your qb get embarrassed after the game by a fucking loser cb I'd probably squicken to a new team!

It's about par for the course. I can't wait to play the Dolphins and have Tannehill put up 300+.

Top Bottom