• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 7 |OT| Shhhhhhhh

effzee

Looks like Heckert is out too and Shurmur will be evaluated at end of the season.

Such a pity. I like Heckert. Most of his few blown draft calls were down to Holmgren, not him. Otherwise I think he's been great.

I don't even know how to judge Heckert. It was pretty much assumed in Philly that he was Reid's boy and Reid not he made the final choices. The GM position in Philly is not as powerful and or influential as with other clubs.

NFL network had an interesting report, according to a high ranked Eagles source all these moves the Eagles are making or not making are all on Reid. Banner is gone, now Castillo fired, and Reid on the hot seat. Ownership wants him to do what he can to fix it but if he can't they want to be able to say it was all up to you and we gave you full power.

Someone might have wanted to tell Bryce Brown that a play action fake had been called:

eagles4_medium.gif

Ha I bet Brown himself was faked.

WE RUN THE BALL?

Eagles should bring back Duce Staley. With his new weight, he can be that power back the Eagles never had.

He is already on the team as the RBs coach!

I bet he tells McCoy only thing "LOL YOU WONT GET THE BALL"

The Raiders and 49ers stadiums have always been dangerous. Baseball games are never like this in the bay area though. Wonder why that is.......

SEA at SF-The Pride of NC State Wisconsin Russell Wilson is better than Alex "Tiny Hands, Tiny Arm" Smith, but the Seahawks aren't better than the Niners...yet.

ARI at MIN-Once 4-0, the Cardinals continue a three game slide
---------------
DAL at CAR-
The battle of the coulda-woulda-shoulda teams.

For the Cowboys, they have all the talent in the world and they coulda been one of the best teams in the league if they weren't led by a mental midget at coach, a mental midget at QB, and a nutcase at WR. They thoroughly outplayed the Ravens in all facets on Sunday and theyshoulda won, if not for their incompetence in late-game situations.
This late-game bug has been a pattern in the Garrett era, and the Cowboys with all their talent, woulda been a contender this year if they were stronger mentally.

And for the Panthers, we're looking at a team that woulda been 3-2 coming into this week if we didn't gift teams wins by our late blunders the past two games.

We coulda and I would argue that we shoulda been a more competitive team to this point. The whole team has played below their potential. The QB, the running backs (although it's difficult to do much as a running back on a team that doesn't run the ball), the offensive line, the defense as whole, the special teams units.

But I'm going to dabble into Bowser's optimism, at least for a week. This is the week that the season turns around. We needed the bye to get our heads right and now we're ready to make something of the last eleven games of the season.

Am I saying we're going to become the best team in the league? Hell No.
Am I saying all our flaws will be cured? No. We're still a deeply flawed team, but in a salary cap league, who isn't? The eventual Super Bowl champion played on wild card weekend five of the past seven years. All it takes is getting into the playoffs, and then all bets are off. Despite our start, we can still do something with this year. It'll take a greater collective effort from everybody, including the quarterback, the defense, and the coaches, but it's still doable.
---------------
NO at TB-Saints defense couldn't stop a fly, but TB's offense is a gnat.
GB at STL-Never underestimate the heart of a champion.
WAS at NYG-This seems like it could be a game where the Giants' inconsistency comes back and bites them in the ass. Making this pick with caution.
BAL at HOU-Houston bounces back from their Sunday Night Embarrassment and feasts on the hurting Ravens' D. The Ravens are running out of "Next Men" to run out there.
TEN at BUF-CJ2K revival?
CLE at IND-Colts' defense is legitimately terrible, but I'm not yet convinced the Browns could beat Alabama, much less an NFL team more than once.
NYJ at NE- I can't in good conscience pick a team led by Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow. The Pat's record is harsh on them, considering they've lost by a total of less than ten points. Don't expect this to be close.
JAC at OAK-Alligatorjandro's favorite team loses on the road.
PIT at CIN-The Steelers fell off fast. Expect the Bengals to win at home.

DET at CHI-Something about da Bears being the greatest team ever or something.

Lol I love these articles about the giants "running all over" the niners. Giants had 20 yards rushing at the half with a sub 3 ypc average. They got the majority of their rush yards in the 4th when the game was already over.

But the dumb fuck talking heads look at the box score and say gee whiz giants had 130 yards rushing! Incredible!

Don't even know which QB we'll be playing... screw it! Crash the Vike Bike and lets bounce back with a win.

Edit: FUUUUUUUUUUU Kolb is out for weeks, ribs detached from sternum. We just can't get a break this season, jesus.

SEA at SF

ARI at MIN
DAL at CAR
NO at TB (Is Graham going to be healthy?)
GB at STL
WAS at NYG
BAL at HOU
TEN at BUF
CLE at IND
-----------
NYJ at NE
JAC at OAK
PIT at CIN

DET at CHI

Dragon

Banned
Lol I love these articles about the giants "running all over" the niners. Giants had 20 yards rushing at the half with a sub 3 ypc average. They got the majority of their rush yards in the 4th when the game was already over.

But the dumb fuck talking heads look at the box score and say gee whiz giants had 130 yards rushing! Incredible!

130 yards is 130 yards. Nice avatar btw.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
SEA at SF

ARI at MIN
DAL at CAR
NO at TB
GB at STL
WAS at NYG
BAL at HOU
TEN at BUF
CLE at IND
-----------
NYJ at NE
JAC at OAK
PIT at CIN

DET at CHI

Last Week
7-7

Total
54-27

Lions fans puffing their chests after barely beating a broken and busted Eagles team.

Reality will return Monday night. Our Bears win EZ!

Also might be time for the return of the annual Fatford season ending injury at Soldier Field.

Stop talking shit and avatar bet if you're so confident. I'm sick of looking at that ugly ass Lovie Smith avatar anyway.....

Bowser

Grover Cleveland said:
But I'm going to dabble into Bowser's optimism, at least for a week. This is the week that the season turns around. We needed the bye to get our heads right and now we're ready to make something of the last eleven games of the season.

Am I saying we're going to become the best team in the league? Hell No.
Am I saying all our flaws will be cured? No. We're still a deeply flawed team, but in a salary cap league, who isn't? The eventual Super Bowl champion played on wild card weekend five of the past seven years. All it takes is getting into the playoffs, and then all bets are off. Despite our start, we can still do something with this year. It'll take a greater collective effort from everybody, including the quarterback, the defense, and the coaches, but it's still doable.

7hRts.gif

C'MON YOU COWGIRLS FANS, WHO'S WEARING THE ANIME PANTHER KITTY AVATAR?! STEP UP!

Talon

The Falcons totally seem like this years regular season champs that flame out at home in their first playoff game. At first I thought it might be the Niners but they are not even good enough to be regular season champs this year.
It's a totally different outfit than the 2010 team. That team played with its balls tight, living off turnover differential and time of possession.

I haven't seen a defense make this many timely plays in 6 weeks. Usually our defenses would pull its weight for about three quarters before the dam bursted loose. Nolan's not making wine out of water or anything, but he knows how to create turnovers.

Matt had his worst game since Week 2 2008 against the Buccaneers, and we still managed to win the game.

All-in-all, the offensive line looked stellar the first three weeks and has looked like poop the last three weeks. The defense has been consistent, while the offense has run hot and cold. The bye comes at the right time.

etiolate

Banned
Still can't figure out how the Niners shat the bed so hard. The Giants played well, but they didn't play great. (Despite the pundits cheap analysis.) The Niners were the Niners for the first quarter and then they became some other team. They got too cute with the playcalls. For all the hate towards Alex, I felt he was in a good rhythm until they started popping Kaep in and out. They were also running the ball pretty well and kept throwing the ball. They did the same thing in Minny. If you could run on a team then do it. No need to prove you got a passing game as well. They were dominating time of poss and plays at half still, in spite of the breakdown happening.

But then everyone had a bad game. Akers, Smith, and Harbaugh, too.The Giants should have put up 30+ with the field position they were getting.

tmdorsey

The Falcons totally seem like this years regular season champs that flame out at home in their first playoff game. At first I thought it might be the Niners but they are not even good enough to be regular season champs this year.

As weird as it sounds I think the Falcons would have been better off losing to the Raiders. Sometimes I feel like the only way to get the players to listen is a loss. No matter what the coaches are saying about improving individual play or changes in scheme I don't think you can really get through to the players unless it follows a loss.

We've been there and done that. If that happens again the Georgia Dome will probably catch fire.

There's still plenty of games left though and if they keep playing like they did on Sunday, losses will come that will definitely get the players to listen.

bionic77

I wouldn't say losing by two points combined in two games means they got pushed around. Hopefully it's a wake up call.
It is a wake up call. The message is that your team is horrible and the NFC West is actually a good division. All those years of shit have allowed them to build up teams that are young and talented on both sides of the ball. Your team is old and broken and has struck out in the draft on defense for about a decade now, with most of your success coming in the form of white tight ends and lineman.

I am learning the same thing about my team. Except our success as been in small, fast receivers.

The good news is garbage teams win Superbowls and teams that look great in the regular season choke at home in the playoffs. Your team is looking so horrible it is starting to make me a little nervous about them going on a possible miracle superbowl run. Please Tebow, pray to your Dad to prevent this from ever happening again. The last time this happened was in 2001, which was probably the worst year for America in a long time. Save us Tebow.

squicken

Still can't figure out how the Niners shat the bed so hard. The Giants played well, but they didn't play great. (Despite the pundits cheap analysis.) The Niners were the Niners for the first quarter and then they became some other team. They got too cute with the playcalls. For all the hate towards Alex, I felt he was in a good rhythm until they started popping Kaep in and out. They were also running the ball pretty well and kept throwing the ball. They did the same thing in Minny. If you could run on a team then do it. No need to prove you got a passing game as well. They were dominating time of poss and plays at half still, in spite of the breakdown happening.

But then everyone had a bad game. Akers, Smith, and Harbaugh, too.The Giants should have put up 30+ with the field position they were getting.

The 49ers won last year with amazing defense, ST, and turnover differential. The problem is that the only thing that is sustainable year to year in the NFL is good offense. And that's a function of having a good QB. The 49ers don't have the QB to carry them when the defense has a bad day and Akers misses FGs

tmdorsey

Hopefully teams like the Packers and Giants believe that road warrior playoff hype and screw up enough to end up missing the playoffs altogether.

Dragon

Banned
It is a wake up call. The message is that your team is horrible and the NFC West is actually a good division. All those years of shit have allowed them to build up teams that are young and talented on both sides of the ball. Your team is old and broken and has struck out in the draft on defense for about a decade now, with most of your success coming in the form of white tight ends and lineman.

I am learning the same thing about my team. Except our success as been in small, fast receivers.

The good news is garbage teams win Superbowls and teams that look great in the regular season choke at home in the playoffs. Your team is looking so horrible it is starting to make me a little nervous about them going on a possible miracle superbowl run. Please Tebow, pray to your Dad to prevent this from ever happening again. The last time this happened was in 2001, which was probably the worst year for America in a long time. Save us Tebow.

They actually have a relatively young defense. They just have such a bad secondary that even with the upgrades on the front seven they haven't been able to see that for what it is.

They're also hardly ever throwing the ball downfield at all. So even though they dominated the line of scrimmage against the Seahawks they didn't have a high yards per play. Dink and dunk definitely works but it puts a premium on being a good third down team.

I think they've drafted horribly in the defensive back field, even McCourty one of their more successful ones is now complete dogshit.

As far as being horrible and then winning SBs, I don't think they're the type of team that can just turn it on and off that way, Brady would get way too frustrated if they ended up 8-8 or 9-7.

bionic77

The 49ers won last year with amazing defense, ST, and turnover differential. The problem is that the only thing that is sustainable year to year in the NFL is good offense. And that's a function of having a good QB. The 49ers don't have the QB to carry them when the defense has a bad day and Akers misses FGs
I don't know if I agree with that.

In the NFL teams peak. You build in the draft and slowly improve year after year until you peak, at which time you have to win the Superbowl because after that it is a slow decline unless you hit another homerun in the draft or in free agency (homeruns being more rare in FA then in the draft). The Niners peaked on defense last year and it is only natural that they would decline a little bit this season. Teams spend more time looking at their tendencies and find ways to attack them. The same exact thing happens on offense. Last year the team with the best offense was the Packers. Everything went their way, and as expected they have tailed off this year as well. It doesn't mean they have a shit offense, it is just the normal regression you expect in the NFL.

This happens to everyone. The only people that don't realize this are the analysts and experts who base all of their analysis based on the previous year and disgusting Tom Brady fans like yourself, whose intelligence is highly suspect based upon their preference in quarterbacks.

Not many teams have a qb to carry them. Maybe 2 or 3. We will still win the division without issue

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
We've been there and done that. If that happens again the Georgia Dome will probably catch fire.

There's still plenty of games left though and if they keep playing like they did on Sunday, losses will come that will definitely get the players to listen.

That's doing you guys a favor. The place is a dump.

I really like the TMQ guy, Gregg Easterbrook. He's the only one I've seen really mention the Ray Lewis murder case in detail in recent days.

Mrbob

FMTs favorite stat: Point Per Game

Bears number 2 in offensive Points Per Game:

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/points-per-game

Uh oh, where dat Niners defense? Falling to number 3 while the Bears rise to 1 in defensive points per game!

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/team-stat/scoring-defense-category

Stop talking shit and avatar bet if you're so confident. I'm sick of looking at that ugly ass Lovie Smith avatar anyway.....

Real men do avatar bets!

man kolb's injury sounds awful. ribs detaching from the sternum? ouch

Yeah and somewhere on the sternum is bruised as well. He apparently landed on the ball and the weight of two men on top of him just really pressed it in. Poor guy, was actually having a nice season and proving people wrong. At least he got enough solid performances in to help quell Cards fans and end the controversy. Wonder what the actual time table will be. It's going to get real ugly if Skelton goes down and we have to rely on a late 6th round pick. FMT's prophecy may come true now, no idea what to expect. Skelton should play better once he gets the reps in, not too down on him for his performance when he hadn't played since week 1. He successfully pulled of the drive to win the game with a FG anyway, just laid an egg in OT. Hope he shows up in far better form for Minny.

squicken

This happens to everyone. The only people that don't realize this are the analysts and experts who base all of their analysis based on the previous year and disgusting Tom Brady fans like yourself, whose intelligence is highly suspect based upon their preference in quarterbacks.

Your "bad" 2011 was a result of Ben's high ankle sprain. You beat Denver with a healthy Ben and then against NE, who knows? You'll likely make the playoffs again this year. Why? Not b/c you have a good defense or ST. But b/c you have a QB who can overcome poor play from those units

Not many teams have a qb to carry them. Maybe 2 or 3. We will still win the division without issue

Of course you will. You still have the best defense and coach in the division, and none of the other teams have a good QB to overcome those deficiencies. but you're now getting a good idea why Harbs "evaluated" Peyton

KingGondo

Banned
Any stadium design not shaped like a viking ship should be rejected out of principle.

I actually like both of those, though--glad neither design is cookie-cutter

HKS Architecture has released a couple concept designs for the upcoming Viking Stadium.

1016vikingsstadiumarchi.jpg

20121016stadium353.jpg

and

20120928stadiumview253.jpg

20121016stadium453.jpg

Those are all so goddamn ugly.

Is that design house based in Europe, btw? You can definitely see European football stadium influence in those designs.

EDIT:Never mind, they're based in Texas. Interesting, they did Lucas Oil and Cowboys Stadium.

Novid

Banned
Power Rankings Top 5:

1. Falcons
2. Giants
3. Ravens
4. Bears
5. SeaChickens.

Lots of folks DROPPED 5 spaces because of losses that should have been wins. I dont even have to tell folks, you cant lose games that should be close, and you cant lose games that yall should win. Eagles should be dead last but because of that 3 and 3 record they only down to 26th. Niners dropped 4 spots, and the Detroit Kitties went up one.

Picks

SEA at SF (Be scared. Its could be an upsect and not of the good kind.)

ARI at MIN
DAL at CAR
NO at TB
GB at STL
WAS at NYG This will be intresting...
BAL at HOU
TEN at BUF
CLE at IND
-----------
NYJ at NE
JAC at OAK
PIT at CIN

DET at CHI

More on the Castillo firing later

Breakdown of the Amukamara interception against the Niners here:

http://bloggingthebeast.com/2012/10...-on-prince-amukamaras-interception-on-sunday/

The breakdown makes even more sense when you realize how things went in practice leading up to the game. Rolle went over the play during his regular appearance on Beningo and Roberts. From Ralph V's game review:

--That Amukamara interception was incredible for several reasons, not the least of which is the way Rolle recognized the play and started shouting and pointing towards tight end Delanie Walker as he ran down the left sidelines. Rolle recognized the play as one the 49ers ran successfully to tight end Vernon Davis last year. It looked like Amukamara had his eyes on Mario Manningham, who was cutting inside and in front of safety Stevie Brown. Rolle correctly called Amukamara off Manningham and directed him to Walker, where he picked off the pass. Rolle said he had been on Amukamara all week in practice, talking about that play. He said on WFAN on Tuesday that they ran it at Amukamara three times in practice and he only got it right once – or, as he amended, “tried to get it right” once. It’s hard to tell if the badgering worked because it sure looked like Amukamara was about to turn off towards the wrong man. If Rolle doesn’t call Amukamara off and point him towards Walker, the tight end probably makes that catch and is gone for a very long, game-changing touchdown.

Outside of the Randy Moss play, Rolle had a nice week this week. We give him a lot of shit but credit where credit is due.

These types of designs are always the ones that throw people off at first and then are called treasured or iconic landmarks after about 5 years.

See: Sydney Opera House, Guttenheim Museum, ect.

Honestly though these are just concept shots. The final product will be much more conservative, especially since older Minnesotans are afraid of anything outside the norm.

Top Bottom