• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 7 |OT| Shhhhhhhh

squicken

It's going to be weird next year w/o Reid and Norv/AJ around. Romeo will be out too.

Upside is the Romeo is a great DC and Castillo, if he's willing to go back to his old job, is a good OL coach. If Gruden comes back, those are two quick pickups that would be the foundations of a great staff

effzee

Not with Reid as your coach, Castillo firing is just a scapegoat measure to please the fans, Vick will continue to turn the ball over, Reid will continue to throw the ball 50 times a game when have one of the best RB in the game, and your defense will continue to blow 4th quarter leads, Eagles need a culture change, how many times can Reid fail with all that talent before the owner says enough is enough?

Owner is shit scared of becoming the Eagles he inherited in the 90s. 3-13 seasons with no upside. So scared that he has kept Reid around 5 years too long. they still make the playoffs somehow so it's always justified but the Eagles haven't been a dominant team since 2004. They back their way in and hope they get on some miracle run like Giants or Packers most recently did. You can't just hope and plan to get lucky. Poor drafts and terrible offensive game planning has ruined the team.

Godslay

Banned
WHAT? DO YOU HEAR THAT? PEYTON MANNING SCORING 3 TD'S BACK FROM 0-24, ELI EMBARRASSING THE NINERS AND TOM BRADY LOSING! SUCH A GOOD WEEK.

I told you Broncos would pull it off. I lost faith at the half, but it all worked out. Manning 5-5 vs SD, curse is broken.

Brinbe

Next demote Marty and fire April.
This is why it's much better that we just clean house at the end of this season. Everyone needs to go at this point as it's not just on one unit, they're all under-performing. And I really hope Lurie grows some balls and sticks to the ultimatum regarding Reid that he himself established in the pre-season.

It's going to be weird next year w/o Reid and Norv/AJ around. Romeo will be out too.

Upside is the Romeo is a great DC and Castillo, if he's willing to go back to his old job, is a good OL coach. If Gruden comes back, those are two quick pickups that would be the foundations of a great staff

The Charger owner already let it out that he wanted to hire Reid last year. Norv will probably be out for a year, but he will be back to. Maybe he will have to work as an OC though. I have no idea if the Chiefs will fire Romeo but they are going to sign Pioli to an etension so I could see him bringing back Romeo.

effzee

I really liked hiring him I just dont like Juan being fired when the D has been good this year. Last year firing Juan would have been justified because they were horrible but there is no reason to fire him now except to appese the vocal lunatics. My guess is the next move will be for Reid to take over the playcalling duties on offense from Marty. Maybe then we can run Shady 50 times into the line, I am sure that will work.

Lol if you think Reid calling plays would lead to more running the ball. Reid loves to pass as much Marty. They are the same and it's the reason that even though they are terrible in red zone offense and have been for about 4 seasons now, no changes have been made with play calling and or schemes.

Reid is the most pass happy coach ever. If he wanted to run the ball he could tell Marty to do so.

And no one is asking to run McCoy 50 times. How about at least 20 carries? Especially in close tight games where you don't have to catch up? How about not forcing Vick to throw about 40-50 times when he can't protect the ball and the online stinks?

damn this team. 06-10ish rivers played some great football. im sure prime LT, prime Gates and some other personnel around him contributed, but how do you turn into goddamn david carr/matt leinart tier so quickly? passer rating down, plummeting td/int ratio, etc.

teams can just sell out and play against the run, because rivers will gift them something at least once a game via turnover. sports talk radio is hilarious in sd right now. this team is so damn flawed and fradulent. this is the broncos' division to lose.

oh and about his throwing motion, he learned to throw as a kid on a regulation sized football, instead of the ones you use at the pop warner level. he had to shot-put the ball because he hadn't developed the arm strength yet.

anecdote: i too learned to throw using a reg sized football, so i don't really have textbook mechanics either, but that didn't stop me from leading my intramural team to back to back to back playoff appearances in college.

ps: can anyone make a rivers head avatar of this for me
kinglaserfaced-600x337.jpg

effzee

This is why it's much better that we just clean house at the end of this season. Everyone needs to go at this point as it's not just on one unit, they're all under-performing. And I really hope Lurie grows some balls and sticks to the ultimatum regarding Reid that he himself established in the pre-season.

I meant for moves during the bye week. The offensive play calling has to change if they want to win. McCoy has to be the focal point, shorter passes, and return to the WCO. Firing April right now can't make the special teams any worse.

BTW not a joke or anything but how did McDermott work out for you guys? He was basically blamed for the D before Juan took over but looking back at the severe lack of talent on the 2010 defensive squad I dont think it was his fault completely.

Let's see, last year we had probably the worst defensive unit in football. Granted we were missing two starting linebackers, a starting DT, and we were running out practice squad rejects and CFL scrubs in the secondary so I think our struggles were more due to severe deficiency in personnel than McDermott's schemes. For what it's worth, the defense has been playing a tad bit better in year 2. Still not great, or even good, but better than the abomination that was last year.

Lol if you think Reid calling plays would lead to more running the ball. Reid loves to pass as much Marty. They are the same and it's the reason that even though they are terrible in red zone offense and have been for about 4 seasons now, no changes have been made with play calling and or schemes.

Reid is the most pass happy coach ever. If he wanted to run the ball he could tell Marty to do so.

And no one is asking to run McCoy 50 times. How about at least 20 carries? Especially in close tight games where you don't have to catch up? How about not forcing Vick to throw about 40-50 times when he can't protect the ball and the online stinks?

Where are you getting this from? I dont believe it is even close to true. The Packers have a much worse run to pass ratio then the Eagles just to name 1 team. Reid used to pass more then other coaches but it seems in the last few years that the NFL has changed and lots of coaches pass more then run now. How comes no one is talking about Shady running out of bounds on the drive when the Eagles were up three and trying to run out the clock?

squicken

The Charger owner already let it out that he wanted to hire Reid last year. Norv will probably be out for a year, but he will be back to. Maybe he will have to work as an OC though. I have no idea if the Chiefs will fire Romeo but they are going to sign Pioli to an etension so I could see him bringing back Romeo.

Norv will never be a HC again. He's also a very good OC. Reid will sit out a year but I'm not sure about him. He'll never have roster control again

I thought Hunt emphatically denied report that Pioli was offered an extension? If Pioli goes, so do Cassell and Romeo. That's actually a good job b/c the owner is so reluctant to fire people. Might be really cheap though, which is why he loved Pioli keeping costs down

squicken

Police say they have arrested two people in connection with the stabbing on Sunday outside Candlestick Park before the Giants-49ers game, and they say it began with taunting a fan who was wearing a Cowboys jersey.

San Francisco Police Sgt. Michael Andraychak said a verbal altercation between a man in a Cowboys jersey and two 49ers fans turned physical, and that one of the 49ers fans, Kristopher Viana stabbed the fan in the Cowboys jersey and tried to stab two of his friends. Also arrested was Viana’s friend Alexandro Arguelles, who punched at least one person as the two of them ran off.

Both men are charged with assault with a deadly weapon. The stabbing victim’s injuries are not life-threatening.

The NFL’s security department has said that its increased safety measures — including metal detectors at every stadium — have made fans safer. In this case, the violence was outside the stadium, committed by fans who were apparently more interested in picking a fight with someone in another team’s jersey than they were in going inside to watch their team play.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ers-game-started-with-taunting-a-cowboys-fan/

Tamanon

Banned
Where are you getting this from? I dont believe it is even close to true. The Packers have a much worse run to pass ratio then the Eagles just to name 1 team. Reid used to pass more then other coaches but it seems in the last few years that the NFL has changed and lots of coaches pass more then run now. How comes no one is talking about Shady running out of bounds on the drive when the Eagles were up three and trying to run out the clock?

Packers pass more because they don't have a running-back.

Eagles just waste McCoy's years.

effzee

Your obsession with blaming McCoy is comical. Not only is he not a good RB in your eyes now he is to blame for the loss when he barely gets in a rhythm and in total has very few carries? Of course he should have stayed in bounds but that is just one play.

How come they passed three times in a row backed up on their own side in OT? And the first play was a long developing play action on hitch Vick got sacked. Why pass on third and 20?

There were so many mistakes in the game by the coaches, Vick, and the D and you somehow find fault with McCoy.

I'll get you the stat but I've heard it many times that in the history of the nfl no coach has passed as much as Reid. And please don't compare what the Packers do to the Eagles. They have the QB and lack of RB to play that way. Eagles are opposite of that.

Packers pass more because they don't have a running-back.

Eagles just waste McCoy's years.

It is so weird how something like this just becomes accepted as fact. Eagles ran McCoy a ton last year. This year the OL is terrible, cant run or pass block, and so it is really making it hard to run the ball. Shady had 14 carries for 22 yards on Sunday, and had a bad game the week before against the Steelers. He doesnt trust the blocking and so he is dancing in the backfield as soon as he gets the ball, even when there is a hole he isnt hitting it.

Your obsession with blaming McCoy is comical. Not only is he not a good RB in your eyes now he is to blame for the loss when he barely gets in a rhythm and in total has very few carries? Of course he should have stayed in bounds but that is just one play.

How come they passed three times in a row backed up on their own side in OT? And the first play was a long developing play action on hitch Vick got sacked. Why pass on third and 20?

There were so many mistakes in the game by the coaches, Vick, and the D and you somehow find fault with McCoy.

I'll get you the stat but I've heard it many times that in the history of the nfl no coach has passed as much as Reid. And please don't compare what the Packers do to the Eagles. They have the QB and lack of RB to play that way. Eagles are opposite of that.

It isnt an obsession at all. I love what Shady can do but he isnt a great RB this year with this line. Eagles need someone who can get the ball and go straight ahead and get some yards. Shady losing 3 yards on 1st down isnt helping at all. Reid threw the ball in OT because it worked great during the game. Over 300 yards, an should have had 4 TDs. The Lions have the worst secondary in football. You have to attack the other teams weakness.

squicken

Of course the Steelers are standing by the guy who tried to run over policemen. He's talented and they need defensive linemen

Brinbe

I meant for moves during the bye week. The offensive play calling has to change if they want to win. McCoy has to be the focal point, shorter passes, and return to the WCO. Firing April right now can't make the special teams any worse.
Ah I see, my original point still stands!

And the switch to the WCO was so obvious during the AZ game and of course, Reid/Marty never adjusted. But they actually did do more of that against the Giants, which was good, but then they've reverted back to the old inconsistent offense these past few weeks. Not sure why they don't just stick to short/intermediate stuff since it's clearly working and helps with the O-Line problems. Ugh.

Ah I see, my original point still stands!

And the switch to the WCO was so obvious during the AZ game and of course, Reid/Marty never adjusted. But they actually did do more of that against the Giants, which was good, but then they've reverted back to the old inconsistent offense these past few weeks. Not sure why they don't just stick to short/intermediate stuff since it's clearly working and helps with the O-Line problems. Ugh.

If they go to a short passing attack, which has worked well this year, it does increase the number of touches Vick gets per drive and the more touches the more chance of a turnover.

Brinbe

If they go to a short passing attack, which has worked well this year, it does increase the number of touches Vick gets per drive and the more touches the more chance of a turnover.

Nah, I think he's mostly fine operating in closer proximity. Obviously needs to work on his reads, and he's never gonna be as good as Don was at taking care of the ball, but a lot of Vick's turnovers have been on those stupid unnecessary long-balls, like that late INT to the Lions that let them tie it up.

Nah, I think he's mostly fine operating in closer proximity. Obviously needs to work on his reads, but a lot of Vick's turnovers have been on those stupid unnecessary long-balls, like that late INT to the Lions that let them tie it up.

Man that pass was so terrible. DJax beat his guy so cleanly. Vick deep ball accuracy has been off all year, he was so good with that before I wonder what is the problem this year.

effzee

It is so weird how something like this just becomes accepted as fact. Eagles ran McCoy a ton last year. This year the OL is terrible, cant run or pass block, and so it is really making it hard to run the ball. Shady had 14 carries for 22 yards on Sunday, and had a bad game the week before against the Steelers. He doesnt trust the blocking and so he is dancing in the backfield as soon as he gets the ball, even when there is a hole he isnt hitting it.

It isnt an obsession at all. I love what Shady can do but he isnt a great RB this year with this line. Eagles need someone who can get the ball and go straight ahead and get some yards. Shady losing 3 yards on 1st down isnt helping at all. Reid threw the ball in OT because it worked great during the game. Over 300 yards, an should have had 4 TDs. The Lions have the worst secondary in football. You have to attack the other teams weakness.

Again you paint this picture that McCoy didn't use to dance around last season. He always has and will. He losses yards. But you can't feed him the ball only 10-14 times. And far too often Reid forgets about running the ball. They used him a lot last year but their pass to run ration was still lopsided. The Eagles offense by scheme and choice just doesn't care about the running game much.

If the Lions were up by 20 some points I would understand. But they weren't. It was a 6 point lead at most and in the 2nd half the Eagles led all the way until it was tied at the end of regulation.

McCoy had a great game against the Giants and actually jump started the offense against the Cards too. Their only two good drives came when in the 2nd half they started running the ball. In that game he had 4 carries in the first half. And you mean to tell me that the lack of carries are his fault?

He is especially dangerous if you have a terrible OLINE because he can cut back and make something out of nothing. I'll take 2-3 yard losses if it also means he breaks big runs of 20+ yards, keeps the ball out Vick's hands for 40-50 passes a game, and eats up clock so our D isn't on the field so much.

The OLINE being terrible should mean more running and less passing. And if you really think McCoy can't run behind this line, then play Brown, Lewis, and Pollack more. And tell them to run right up the middle.

Brinbe

Man that pass was so terrible. DJax beat his guy so cleanly. Vick deep ball accuracy has been off all year, he was so good with that before I wonder what is the problem this year.
I'd say the porous O-Line is a main cause. Losing Peters/Kelce has been devastating to this offense. I mean Shady is not getting those same holes, and Vick's not getting that time to feel at ease and make proper decisions.

Dragon

Banned
Mike Holmgren out as Browns president, sources told ESPN's Ed Werder.

Browns owner Jimmy Haslam to name Joe Banner as Mike Holmgren's replacement.

Mrbob

Rivers is Cutler without his mobility or his arm strength. Also without his good lucks!

Also, I can't believe Andy threw Juan under the bus. Yeah it's somehow the defenses fault when the offense keeps putting the defense back on the field all game long!

effzee

Nah, I think he's mostly fine operating in closer proximity. Obviously needs to work on his reads, and he's never gonna be as good as Don was at taking care of the ball, but a lot of Vick's turnovers have been on those stupid unnecessary long-balls, like that late INT to the Lions that let them tie it up.

Yeah I am ok with Vick passing more if it means quicker shorter passes that don't take forever to develop. Vick gets in serious trouble when his back is turned to the D, the line can't protect, and then Vick has to make something out of nothing while also telling himself don't get hurt, don't fumble, and don't throw an INT.

I don't think he is playing the way he used to because he is pressing and trying so hard to not fumble or make mistakes that its hurting him. It needs to be quicker reads and then take off or throw it away.

And while the pass to DJAX sailed and was picked off, I would take that shot 10 out of 10 times. One on one with DJAX and or Maclin should mean automatic deep shot.

KingGondo

Banned
Congrats Browns fans.

A year too late though.
The draft has panned out pretty well.

Weeden has finally given the Browns a passing threat, Richardson looks promising, Gordon was a nice pick in the supplemental draft, and their defense has a shot to be elite once everyone's back healthy.

effzee

Banner will build them up well, manage the cap, and make some good moves but ultimately will limit the team because he cares far too much about accounting and the books.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex

Holmgren signed his deathwish when he refused to trade up to draft RG3 when they could've easily done so considering all the picks they had, and instead went for Weeden.

Is Jimmy Haslam the new Browns owner? Heard the team just got sold recently.

Fox318

The draft has panned out pretty well.

Weeden has finally given the Browns a passing threat, Richardson looks promising, Gordon was a nice pick in the supplemental draft, and their defense has a shot to be elite once everyone's back healthy.

He could have had RG3 and got cheap.

effzee

And now the next move Reid should make, if he really is going for it all is...

wait for it...

BRING BACK MCNABB!

Who else to back up Vick? People are harping on his turnovers but lets not also forget that he is always one bad hit away from missing at least 4-6 games! Do you really want Foles as the QB when your job is on the line? Behind this line? Trent Edwards?

If you are going to go down in a fire, then burn with those who built you up! McNabb is fat enough to take the beating, never turned the ball over this much, and at the very least ran this crazy insane offense just as well as Vick has!

DO IT REID! Fire April and Marty, take over play calling, and bring in McNabb as the backup! Plus he is an actual real threat to Vick who I have no doubt doesn't fear Foles!

Can Dawkins still play?

:(

Fox318

3 number one picks and a number 2 is a high price.

That's a lot to pin on one player staying healthy, especially a QB who runs as much as RG3.

And to replace that you trade up 1 pick when nobody was gonna offer the vikes shit and you draft a qb you could have gotten in the 2nd in the first.

Not to mention the Browns have made no progress during his time and Mangini never should have been fired.

Top Bottom