• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 7 |OT| Shhhhhhhh

I am listening to Mike and Mike on delay while gaming and i heard breaking news about Castillo getting fired, breaking news was 20min late lol...

Chili

Wikipedia said:
He was defensive coordinator for the Philadelphia Eagles of the National Football League from February 2, 2011 to October 16, 2012 when Andy Reid afraid of his own job and hearing John Gruden was in town finally had the strength to fire Juan. Castillo was Juan giant mistake!

Wikipedia always telling it like it is.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I cant wait until the eagles miss the playoffs and Reid is fired. It will be glorious.

MlZ78.gif

cajunator

Banned
AJ Smith's ego, that's why

The amount of talent that has been on that team should have gotten a super bowl or two.
That has been a ridiculously loaded team the last half a decade with nothing to show for it.
I honestly think Norv just has no idea how to manage the talent. He just puts it out there like Garrett does with the Cowboys talent and hopes it all gels together.

I am listening to Mike and Mike on delay while gaming and i heard breaking news about Castillo getting fired, breaking news was 20min late lol...

Wait, what?
There defense is leagues ahead of what it was the past 3 years. Castillo finally got a system that was working for them. If anything that's worse is the offense, the high scoring plays from the past is non-existent this season.

Shame Reid wasn't the one who got fired.

effzee

Thoughts on the Juan firing...

Its the right move but not because the D is terrible. Its both a scapegoat move but the needed move.

First of all as a recap I feel terrible for Juan. He was put in a terrible position. He essentially was plucked from being an OLINE coach and handed the keys to the defense. And on top of that he had to follow up on the legacy of the beloved JJ.

WHY?

This move never made sense, was questioned at the time to no end, and it worked out worse than even expected.

And to make matters even worse you handed the D to Juan during the lockout offseason and forced a defensive scheme on him. The WIDE 9 was not Juan's idea. Jim Washburn was brought over as the DLINE coach to run the WIDE 9.

So now you have a first time ever coach at defensive coordinator. He last coached D at a HS level in the 80s. Then you force a scheme on him during the lockout. Not a great idea.

And the result? The Juan led D gave up 5 fourth quarter leads last year. Of course its not all on the D, because turnovers and a lack of a running game contributes to the D being on the field way too much. But during the last quarter when great defenses step up and shut down their opponents, the Eagles D played its worst ball in the fourth.

And it has continued into this year. Now yes statistically they are ranked 9th for points allowed and 8th for yards allowed. But they have given up back to back fourth quarter leads. And those leads were NOT erased as a result of Vick turnovers. Most, if not all, Vick turnovers have come in the first half. Surprisingly the D has played great the first half. And again they collapsed in the fourth quarter while the offense was finally clicking. The D still didn't step up. That is now a league high 7 fourth quarter leads blown.

So was Juan at fault? Yea! But why was he put in this position to begin with? He was an excellent OLINE coach and should have been kept there. Good man who has been with the organization since before Reid. Why in the world didn't Reid go out and get a legit actual defensive mind to replace JJ? I still have no idea why this move was made.

Now this past off season they should have demoted Juan to another defensive position so he got more experience. Todd Bowles should have been hired as the DC. From all accounts not only is Bowles a good defensive coach but hes highly respected and the next possible hot candidate for HC openings. So why was he brought in only as the DB coach?

Todd had to have known this was a possibility. He had some interviews and chances to be a HC or DC somewhere else but he took less money and took a lesser position to coach the secondary in Philly. No way Juan succeeds when he is forced to run a scheme his DLINE coach dictates and is looking over his shoulder with Bowles behind him.

No this won't fix Vick, the OLINE, or the problems on offense. It won't force Reid to run the ball more. But at least they have a defensive coach/mind coaching the D. At least its someone the players respect and trust. I don't expect much from this team at this point and this move should have been made in the off season but at least its made now. The only other person left to blame is Reid.

He can't bench Vick considering the expectations and money tied into him. He has to get to the playoffs or he himself is fired. The D has played ok to solid but they have no killer instinct. The sacks have disappeared. They don't force turnovers. They bend over and take it in the fourth and can't get off the field. Maybe this move sparks the D to be better while hopefully Reid discovers this guy named McCoy.

kingslunk

If the Broncos stop turning the ball over, the WRs stop failing when no one is around them, and defense steps up and start playing like men instead of little boys, Denver can be one of, if not the best team in the NFL.

Because Manning's stats are ridiculous. If you factor in the yards of those receivers and the two touchdowns he would have, (even the PI call which might have gotten him another TD) he would easily be the top QB in the league right now in terms of stats.

Bowser

Nah Juan Castillo is like Two Face everyone thought he be good but homie went crazy

I would argue Reid went crazy for taking a fucking OFFENSIVE LINE coach and making him the defensive coordinator.

Seriously, what the fuck? The guy had been with the team for over 15 years and now he's unceremoniously let go because that fat fuck put him in a terrible position.

Reid laying the blame on others as usual. Never liked the Juan hiring but NOW's when you fire him? When the D is barely giving up scores?

Lol fire yourself lard boy.

Thoughts on the Juan firing...

Its the right move but not because the D is terrible. Its both a scapegoat move but the needed move.
You could be right but Shawn Slocum's special teams unit was dogshit in 2010 but right now it's pretty damn good.

Obviously this is a win-now league and granted defense is more complicated than special teams but if Reid didn't have confidence in him then he shouldn't have hired him in the first place.

This strikes me as desperate. It was a bad hire and it blew up in his face.

I would argue Reid went crazy for taking a fucking OFFENSIVE LINE coach and making him the defensive coordinator.
So Andy Reid is The Joker.

Chili

The Eagles D doesn't seem that bad statistically speaking. Top half of the league in most departments - particularly high in preventing third and fourth downs. Just seems like a ludicrous attempt at deflecting criticism from the relevant areas, and could actually make the D worse.

If the Broncos stop turning the ball over, the WRs stop failing when no one is around them, and defense steps up and start playing like men instead of little boys, Denver can be one of, if not the best team in the NFL.

Because Manning's stats are ridiculous. If you factor in the yards of those receivers and the two touchdowns he would have, (even the PI call which might have gotten him another TD) he would easily be the top QB in the league right now in terms of stats.

It took Manning a couple of games, but he is definitely back. Last night I said that if the Broncos can star playing the first half of games as well as they do the second, they are going to the AFC Championship game. Right now the AFC is mediocre outside of select teams, and the Broncos are two halves away from being one of those.

But turnovers are primarily what are killing them. Denver could have been 5-1 right now had it not been for turnovers. Must be something with the higher altitude that thins the blood in the fingers of the Broncos receiving and running core.

Brinbe

YESSSSSSSSSSSS, NO MORE JUANDEMENTALS!

He's an obvious scapegoat, but thank God for the change.

And yes, it was a stupid hire, and they tried to even rectify it in the off-season but were spurned by Spags.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
The amount of talent that has been on that team should have gotten a super bowl or two.
That has been a ridiculously loaded team the last half a decade with nothing to show for it.
I honestly think Norv just has no idea how to manage the talent. He just puts it out there like Garrett does with the Cowboys talent and hopes it all gels together.

The Chargers ridiculously loaded for the last half a decade? Maybe a few years ago when they went to the AFC Champ game and were constantly in the playoffs, but I'm sorry that window has closed. They HAD LDT, Gates, VJax, and a ridiculous OL all in their prime as well as a stellar D and couldn't get it done. They are not close, personnel wise, to where they were before.

YESSSSSSSSSSSS, NO MORE JUANDEMENTALS!

He's an obvious scapegoat, but thank God for the change.

And yes, it was a stupid hire, and they tried to even rectify it in the off-season but were spurned by Spags.

Its funny that Spags would be the DC now if he had just taken the Eagles offer. I wonder where he would rather be now.

effzee

The Eagles D doesn't seem that bad statistically speaking. Top half of the league in most departments - particularly high in preventing third and fourth downs. Just seems like a ludicrous attempt at deflecting criticism from the relevant areas, and could actually make the D worse.

This is true but as I pointed out they play their best early but have given up a league high 7 fourth quarter leads over the last season. That is unacceptable. Especially when most of Vick's turnovers have come in the first half.

So the leads the D has given up are on the D. Its not like Vick is throwing pick 6s or fumbling in the fourth quarter to gift the opposition points.

The D played solid but not great. And the amount of talent they have drafted and signed over the past two seasons should yield better than just solid.

They have 7 sacks in 6 games and blown back to back fourth quarter leads. D isn't all to blame and tons to fix on offense and special teams but if there was a change they could make and had to make during the bye week, this was it.

Actually I think the special teams coach needs to be fired right about now too. Coverage units suck and we have no return game.

Louis Delmas!

ibuA7SdYwn1BnK.jpg

Next week it will be us bitching about Delmas because he whiffs a sure tackle on Forte, who proceeds to run 60 yards for the TD. Count on it!

Edit: I also give the Lions and their mighty 26 points all the credit for Juan being fired. How dem 26 points taste Juan? Like unemployment, I bet!

effzee

Its funny that Spags would be the DC now if he had just taken the Eagles offer. I wonder where he would rather be now.

Ha I forgot about this. Spags could have been hired as DC but Reid was far to loyal and wanted to keep both Washburn and Juan around.

No real defensive coach would want a situation like that. Spags might regret going to NO but he didn't want to come back and run the wide 9.

Sad but it should have been Spags or Bowles to begin with. Why they keep taking such huge risks with such an important position during a supposed SB run or two is beyond me. Reid isn't a defensive minded coach so you would think he wouldn't do something as stupid as pick the OLINE coach to run his D. He picked JJ because he didn't know D and didn't want to run the D. He turned it over to JJ and stayed out of it. I didn't think Reid could be this stupid, but then again Reid never fails to surprise me.

Fox318 said:
Norv Turner will be hired as the Eagles head coach.
Yes, please. That would be wonderful.

Verbum said:
For the past 10 years they will have a very good year and then seem to self destruct.
Sort of the Jets of the NFC.
Not even close. If anything the Eagles have been the model of consistency over the years until McNabb departed. They simply haven't been able to get over the hump in the 14 years Andy has coached the team.

yankeehater said:
Giants might actually beat the Eagles then.
...and the Eagles will still never win a Super Bowl in your lifetime and you can keep enjoying the memories of all of those NFC Championship wins and printing T-Shirts about DeSean's punt return.

...and the Eagles will still never win a Super Bowl in your lifetime and you can keep enjoying the memories of all of those NFC Championship wins and printing T-Shirts about DeSean's punt return.

We have seen lots of teams luck into SB wins the last few years. One of these years it will be the Eagles turn.

No more Juan Castillo.

LOL at making him the pariah for the team's struggles when it's mainly the fault of the fat-ass who promoted him and his pet project QB.

yankeehater said:
One of these years it will be the Eagles turn.
Funny thing about the current situation is that I've watched this particular dance with Andy for a couple of years now and he always seems to find a way to salvage the situation. I remember the Eagles getting destroyed by the Ravens a couple of years ago and all kinds of questions swirling about Andy being on the hot seat and McNabb getting benched and then the Eagles turned it around and went to the NFC Championship game.

Andy more often than not finds a way so until he actually has that pink slip, I think a lot of talk about his firing is premature and overzealous. Todd Bowles is absolutely an upgrade at the DC position for what it's worth by the way. He ran a solid unit in Miami as their secondary coach.

Chili

This is true but as I pointed out they play their best early but have given up a league high 7 fourth quarter leads over the last season. That is unacceptable. Especially when most of Vick's turnovers have come in the first half.

So the leads the D has given up are on the D. Its not like Vick is throwing pick 6s or fumbling in the fourth quarter to gift the opposition points.

The D played solid but not great. And the amount of talent they have drafted and signed over the past two seasons should yield better than just solid.

They have 7 sacks in 6 games and blown back to back fourth quarter leads. D isn't all to blame and tons to fix on offense and special teams but if there was a change they could make and had to make during the bye week, this was it.

Actually I think the special teams coach needs to be fired right about now too. Coverage units suck and we have no return game.

Ah, I see. Yes, that does sound unacceptable.

effzee

No more Juan Castillo.

LOL at making him the pariah for the team's struggles when it's mainly the fault of the fat-ass who promoted him and his pet project QB.

BTW not a joke or anything but how did McDermott work out for you guys? He was basically blamed for the D before Juan took over but looking back at the severe lack of talent on the 2010 defensive squad I dont think it was his fault completely.

We have seen lots of teams luck into SB wins the last few years. One of these years it will be the Eagles turn.

Not with Reid as your coach, Castillo firing is just a scapegoat measure to please the fans, Vick will continue to turn the ball over, Reid will continue to throw the ball 50 times a game when have one of the best RB in the game, and your defense will continue to blow 4th quarter leads, Eagles need a culture change, how many times can Reid fail with all that talent before the owner says enough is enough?

Funny thing about the current situation is that I've watched this particular dance with Andy for a couple of years now and he always seems to find a way to salvage the situation. I remember the Eagles getting destroyed by the Ravens a couple of years ago and all kinds of questions swirling about Andy being on the hot seat and McNabb getting benched and then the Eagles turned it around and went to the NFC Championship game.

Andy more often than not finds a way so until he actually has that pink slip, I think a lot of talk about his firing is premature and overzealous. Todd Bowles is absolutely an upgrade at the DC position for what it's worth by the way. He ran a solid unit in Miami as their secondary coach.

I really liked hiring him I just dont like Juan being fired when the D has been good this year. Last year firing Juan would have been justified because they were horrible but there is no reason to fire him now except to appese the vocal lunatics. My guess is the next move will be for Reid to take over the playcalling duties on offense from Marty. Maybe then we can run Shady 50 times into the line, I am sure that will work.

Top Bottom