• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Week 8 |OT| - Plays of the Week

I agree, but I really want to see Wentz play with a good receiver, and see how a good receiver really changes this offense. Do our guys really suck or is Doug's play calling a big part of the problem? I want to know that before next year.

Brian Westbrook was on Eagles Live this week and he was being super critical of the play calling. Usually on the teams official podcast everything is super positive. Something really does have to change, that pass 7 yards backwards to Sproles that took them out of FG range might be one of the worst play calls ever.

Pepiope

Brian Westbrook was on Eagles Live this week and he was being super critical of the play calling. Usually on the teams official podcast everything is super positive. Something really does have to change, that pass 7 yards backwards to Sproles that took them out of FG range might be one of the worst play calls ever.
But it didn't take us out of FG range. That was a head scratcher. Doug is also a rookie, so that's a mistake I hope isn't repeated, but this was his first really bad game.

gutshot

I just worry does having Wentz go out there and run the 3 yards at a time air attack, will it stunt his development at all. I really worry that as teams creep up more and more he will be forced to pass into tighter and tighter windows. I dont want him developing bad habits because the WRs are terrible and the play calling fucking sucks.

Shitty receivers at the beginning of a career didn't seem to hamper McNabb's development. Wentz should be fine. Once we get someone, he is going to ball out. Just watch.

harSon

Banned
Yeah but Steelers have no defense and seem to purposefully refuse to cover Gronk, and the Denver offense can be stopped. If the Pats don't have to travel to Mile High in the playoffs they'll go to the SB

To be fair, the "if healthy" part is more pertinent to our defense. It has been pretty much decimated across the board for much of the year.

Pepiope

Shitty receivers at the beginning of a career didn't seem to hamper McNabb's development. Wentz should be fine. Once we get someone, he is going to ball out. Just watch.
McNabb had shitty receivers most of his career and it's the biggest reason, aside from the pats cheating, we don't have an owl.

Hindl

I just worry does having Wentz go out there and run the 3 yards at a time air attack, will it stunt his development at all. I really worry that as teams creep up more and more he will be forced to pass into tighter and tighter windows. I dont want him developing bad habits because the WRs are terrible and the play calling fucking sucks.

I agree, but I really want to see Wentz play with a good receiver, and see how a good receiver really changes this offense. Do our guys really suck or is Doug's play calling a big part of the problem? I want to know that before next year.

I'm worried about both of these things too. Doug's playcalling has been uninspired, which is surprising. His recent games have reminded me not only of the worst of the Reid years, but the worst of Chip 2015 too. There were several times in that Cowboys game where I could tell where the ball was going before the snap even happened. And it's just baffling because the first 3 weeks showed so much creativity in the playcalling, so I don't get it. And a lot of these short dumpoffs are by design, it's not like Wentz is going through progressions before checking it down. He's been getting the ball out fast to his first read for a short pickup. And yeah, if you're able to pick up 4-5 yards a play then may as well keep doing it. But you have to take shots downfield to keep the defense honest. And they're just refusing to do it. I really want to see the All-22 for the game, since I need to see what the separation was for receivers. If they don't get any separation at all, that's alright since that should be fixed by a new legit WR in FA (although Doug should be able to scheme our plays open once in a while). But if they are open and he's just not even looking for them, that's a problem. I'm worried about him developing bad habits, but I don't think it'll happen in one season. Something needs to change, but I think it can wait until the offseason where they'll have a full summer to tinker with mechanics and adjust to someone new in the offense.

bionic77

To be fair, the "if healthy" part is more pertinent to our defense. It has been pretty much decimated across the board for much of the year.
Our defense was playing pretty well before everyone died.

Cam's injury seems to have hurt the most but we have lost everyone else since then.

We are doing shit even if our offense gets healthy if we can't stop the run.

Health is the worst part of the NFL. Total luck.

Ian Rapoport
Ian Rapoport – Verified account ‏@RapSheet

#Browns will look to pay LB Jamie Collins & my understanding is he’s looking to eclipse Luke Kuechly ($12M per). Views himself as a hybrid.
Jamie "mah boy the whole time" Collins

They can't move him before the election, "optics" would look awful and people would cry "RIGGED". But he's got to be out before January, the FBI is practically eating itself and it seems a pretty clear violation of the Hatch Act. And I could be remembering wrong, but I don't think intent is required to violate it.
You're right and I agree he doesn't go anywhere before the 8th in the end. Bams can't make him move.. but nothing can't stop him from voluntarily resigning if he chooses to resign if the heat gets bad enough and he might..

Joe Walsh (a noted Trumpster and host of America's Most Wanted for the Euros and young ones) defended Hillary.. if Comey wants to resign.. Bams can probably get away with accepting it if he wants with him falling back on saying that the disarray and confusion that is happening at Langley is unacceptable for the Nation's top domestic investigative service if he's pressed. He can still be bipartisan and wrap himself up with the flag if he needs to.

And I believe you are correct without needing intent to violate the Hatch Act..

Chase17

I don't have one but doesn't everyone who has one absolutely love the console and its games?

I feel like people like the U far more than they did the Wii.
*raises hand*
Really enjoy a lot of the game Nintendo released on it, won't miss that controller though. I will look back at the Wii U era fondly even if it was a financial failure for Nintendo.

Hindl

I don't have one but doesn't everyone who has one absolutely love the console and its games?

I feel like people like the U far more than they did the Wii.

I loved it, but I get why it failed. Its games were fantastic, there were only like 10 of them though. But at least for me, its exclusives to this day are still better than the XBO or PS4 exclusives. It's a horribly flawed system that deserved its fate, but I'll remember it well.

I don't know how to feel right now....

This makes much less sense than the Jets sending Richardson to the Cowboys rumor

bionic77

*raises hand*
Really enjoy a lot of the game Nintendo released on it, won't miss that controller though. I will look back at the Wii U era fondly even if it was a financial failure for NIntendo.
Granted only 100 people bought the console but everyone who has it seems to love it.

Something I love about GAF is how people who have no intention of buying something love to go into threads about something and shit on it and explain how the product they never had an intention of buying is flawed in some way that prevents them from buying it. You see it in every Apple and XBone thread.

I never had an interest in MS consoles but for me to try and convince other people not to buy it because it is not for me would be insane. The internet is the worst.

NFL's Response to Cam Newton Calling Them Out

Basically: Yes our refs suck, but they suck more for other guys!

Quality lawyer work at 345 Park

I actually agree with what Dungy said last night. It shouldn't be Cam Newton's responsibility to fight this battle. He is the most important player in the history of the Carolina Panthers as a franchise. The organization should be riding for him, if not even for him, but for the team as a whole. But no one is a bigger company man than Jerry Richardson (there's a reason the NFL Logo is still on the center of the field) and I think if he had to choose between his biggest investment and not rocking the boat with his fellow owners, I think he'd take the league's side and would direct his GM and coaches to do the same.

I didn't even peep this when I posted this yesterday, but how does the league even know how many calls were blown for each player going all the way back to 2013?

(BR WARNING)

This article goes into the potential ramifications of the league having a secret bad call database.

So either (A) there are three years of tabulated data that the NFL uses solely to evaluate officials and win proxy arguments with disgruntled quarterbacks; (B) someone in the league keeps track of uncalled roughing-the-passer penalties for personal satisfaction; or (C) someone in the league made up a number and a list to circulate in the media as an excuse for not picking up the phone when Newton calls.

Options B and C sound preposterous, even by NFL standards. But option A raises a whole stack of questions.

Do Newton's three missed roughing calls include regular season and postseason games? What about the preseason? If the NFL determines that it missed two roughing fouls on Newton on Sunday, does that total of five move him into ninth place among the Newton 11? Sixth place?

Who holds the three-year record for getting socked without repercussions? Is it Cutler? The list includes several journeymen with relatively few pass attempts (McCown, Keenum, Geno) and some starters with unpopular public personas (Cutler, Geno, arguably others). Might there be evidence of a perceptual bias hidden in the blown roughing-the-passer calls? If I were an oft-injured quarterback like Geno Smith, my career was going south and there was evidence that I was the victim of a disproportionately high number of potentially-injurious hits that were not properly officiated...

Maybe that's why the NFL doesn't want us to know about its blown-call data. Except that it just let us know it keeps blown-call data.

There's a whole Pandora's box in that bad-penalty data. There could be evidence that a cornerback got jobbed for extra pass interference penalties, or that a wide receiver lost a handful of big receptions to uncalled contact. Come free agency, the blown calls could cost them millions of dollars.

Say a coach on the hot seat has to justify a disappointing season to the owner. The NFL happens to know that his team was victimized for the most blown calls in the NFL. It sits on the data, a whole staff gets fired and an organization risks making a potentially bad decision due to lack of complete evidence.

The blown-penalty data can affect careers and player safety, so it must at least be available to teams and the NFLPA. But why is the bad-penalty data our business, except for the fact that we are the customers and we would love a gander at it?

The reason comes down to the NFL's two least-favorite concepts: transparency and accountability.

The bad-penalty data might confirm some widely held suspicions: The Broncos get away with extra goonery, the Seahawks extra contact, the Cowboys line lots of uncalled holding, while opponents in Foxborough endure unwarranted flags for sneezing. Or maybe the data debunks some or all of those theories. Heck, local fanbases will probably pick and choose what they want to believe, anyway.

Either way, the data is out there. But we don't know what the NFL calls correctly and incorrectly, by its own estimation, as well as what situations lead to officiating errors and which players and teams felt the greatest impact.

That transparency leads to accountability. Instead of falling back on "the refs blew it," coaches, players, fans and media can point to, say, a 10 percent error rate on holding, or a 20 percent increase in uncalled roughing against a scrambling quarterback, or real home/road or late-and-close biases toward incorrect calls. The more we know what to look for, the easier it is to make the kind of corrections that can make the games both safer and better played.

Hahahahaha

You deserve this!!!!!

I'm going to enjoy watching Romo, Zeke, Wake and Dez beat y'all in the superbowl!

Are you a cowboys fan ?....

I am a Romo fan and he just happens to play for the Cowboys.

He's without question a filthy Cowboys fan.

;P

Oh I see....ok I won't forget this.

Romo would look good in Dolphins uniform.

ESPECIALLY in our throwbacks,

Zeke

I wonder what the cap hit for Wake would be and what the phins want for him. Chris what would you think it would take for it to happen.

Cashman is way to high on those rankings after all the spoilering draft picks crap.

Blue Dragon added to BC today. Man what a great time it is to be a gamer.

bionic77

Cam needs to shut the fuck up.

If you are an athletic qb the refs allows the defense always gets away with more because there is always the possibility that you can get away from the defense. Cam is also an actual running threat so it is expected that he is going to get the best hits from a defense. I have seen this for many, many years with Ben and I am sure the Packers fans have seen the same treatment for Rodgers.

If you don't want to get hit then stop running around and immediately go down like a little bitch at the first sign of pressure (aka the Brady and Peyton method). The refs will always protect immobile and unathletic qb's more.

You cannot have it both ways.

I wonder what the cap hit for Wake would be and what the phins want for him. Chris what would you think it would take for it to happen.

http://www.thephinsider.com/2016/10/28/13461338/nfl-trade-rumors-deadline-cameron-wake-miami-dolphins-dallas-cowboys

Here is a good breakdown

Wake would be a $7 million cap hit next year, with $3 million in dead money if he were to be cut. The 2017 season is the last one on Wake’s current contract.

According to the NFL.com article, moving Wake would give the team “needed cap space as well as draft picks to help plug their many holes.” According to the article, the Dolphins could expect a fourth-round pick and a fifth- or sixth-round pick for Wake,

harSon

Banned
Our defense was playing pretty well before everyone died.

Cam's injury seems to have hurt the most but we have lost everyone else since then.

We are doing shit even if our offense gets healthy if we can't stop the run.

Health is the worst part of the NFL. Total luck.

Yeah, our defense was giving a lot up through the air. But it was stout at the line, buckled down in the redzone and came up with the timely turnover. Now it gives up long runs on the regular, still gets decimated in the air and is as shit in the redzone as it is the rest of the damn field.

Zeke

Damn that's a bit on the steep side. Dallas doesn't have players to package either so it would need to be picks unless the phins want DMC. Sounds more like a pipe dream unless they play up him being on the wrong side of 30 to get a better deal. If Jerry thinks the Cowboys have a shot at an owl and wants to go all in I could maybe see this happening. Don't worry friend I'm sure Wake will retire a phin.

bionic77

Yeah, our defense was giving a lot up through the air. But it was stout at the line, buckled down in the redzone and came up with the timely turnover. Now it gives up long runs on the regular, still gets decimated in the air and is as shit in the redzone as it is the rest of the damn field.
It is hard to be good without your best players on the field.

I think Cam in particular is someone we cannot live without.

I feel like our run game became garbage the minute he went out. I knew we would be softer upfront without him but you see the true value of a player when he goes out and his backup comes in and we looked like the Saints D after he went out.

In contrast the Pats seem to do ok with their backup qbs...

Top Bottom