• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL admits 1 in 3 players will suffer effects of brain trauma in their lifetimes

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/13/s...orts-in-nfl-concussion-deal-are-released.html

The National Football League, which for years disputed evidence that its players had a high rate of severe brain damage, has stated in federal court documents that it expects nearly a third of retired players to develop long-term cognitive problems and that the conditions are likely to emerge at “notably younger ages” than in the general population.

The findings are a result of data prepared by actuaries hired by the league and provided to the United States District Court judge presiding over the settlement between the N.F.L. and 5,000 former players who sued the league, alleging that it had hidden the dangers of concussions from them.

“Thus, our assumptions result in prevalence rates by age group that are materially higher than those expected in the general population,” said the report, prepared by the Segal Group for the N.F.L. “Furthermore, the model forecasts that players will develop these diagnoses at notably younger ages than the generation population.”

For years, the N.F.L. denied that there was a link between football and long-term neurocognitive conditions. As more studies, including one conducted by scientists at the University of North Carolina and another at the University of Michigan, found heightened rates of dementia and other cognitive decline in football players, the league softened its stance. “It’s quite obvious from the medical research that’s been done that concussions can lead to long-term problems,” Aiello, the N.F.L. spokesman, said in 2009, the first time any league official had publicly acknowledged any long-term effects of concussions.

“The actuaries are saying it because it’s true,” said Perfetto, who is representing her husband, Ralph Wenzel, a former N.F.L. player, in the settlement. He died two years ago. “The bottom line is that prevalence is higher in N.F.L. players. They’re going to hide behind whatever they can.”

The actuarial estimates — released in response to petitions made by Bloomberg, ESPN and several of the roughly 5,000 plaintiffs — were largely in line with an independent analysis of the projected compensatory awards made by The New York Times in January.

In all, the actuaries hired by the plaintiffs’ lawyers assumed that about 90 percent of the 5,000 players who sued the N.F.L. would file a claim for money, which is awarded on a sliding scale based on a player’s age and the number of years he was in the league. In general, younger former players with diseases eligible for compensation would receive more than older players, and former players who competed for five or more years in the league would receive more than those with less N.F.L. experience, on the assumption that they had absorbed more punishment.

The plaintiffs’ lawyers also assumed that half of the remaining retired players who had not sued the league would also file a claim. Like all retirees, they are covered by the settlement.

“This report paints a startling picture of how prevalent neurocognitive diseases are among retired N.F.L. players, and underscores why class members should immediately register for this settlement’s benefits,” Christopher Seeger and Sol Weiss, the lead lawyers for the retired player plaintiffs, said in a statement.

While adding clarity to a muddy process, the actuarial reports reinforce the biggest concern of critics of the settlement: that players with lesser cognitive problems caused by repeated head trauma are unlikely to receive any money.

Seven retired players took the unusual step of asking a federal appeals court to help address that issue even before the settlement had been completed. On Thursday, the appeals court said it would not do so.

Others have said they will opt out of the settlement to preserve their legal options. The family of Junior Seau, a star linebacker who killed himself and was found to have had C.T.E., said it would not participate in the agreement and would continue to seek damages from the N.F.L.

Nice to see the denial is finally fading away, at least.
Research assumes some didnt already have some sort of brain trauma before beginning their career.
I don't think the research assumes anything, since it doesn't claim to know the causes for why a NFL player might develop dementia -- apart from that NFL players are exposed to more head trauma than the general population. But what kind of head trauma? Concussions only, or do "sub-concussions" have just as much impact? When is the brain most vulnerable to trauma? After adult age, or during development?

However, yes, based on CTE found in players who never competed in football past the collegiate level, the NCAA and the universities (high schools too?? pee-wee leagues??) ought to be on the hook here as well.

xbhaskarx

This caps off a great week for the NFL.

Research assumes some didnt already have some sort of brain trauma before beginning their career.

The NFL has been arguing that all the damage isn't just from their NFL careers, yes. But that means it's from pee wee football, high school football, and college football as well. Although those are not part of the NFL, it's totally disingenuous and slimy to use that as an excuse because they're part of the football industry and players can't exactly reach the NFL without going through earlier levels of the game. Those other levels should be held responsible as well, but that doesn't take the NFL off the hook.

BFIB

NFL knows right now the shit is rolling downhill right onto them. Might as well pull off the band-aid and get all the sting out in one shot.

terrisus

The fact that this is "news" is pretty strange.

I mean - yeah, obviously running into and colliding with other people on a regular basis is going to cause long-term negative health impacts.

The NFL has been arguing that all the damage isn't just from their NFL careers, yes. But that means it's from pee wee football, high school football, and college football as well. Although those are not part of the NFL, it's totally disingenuous and slimy to use that as an excuse because they're part of the football industry and players can't exactly reach the NFL without going through earlier levels of the game. Those other levels should be held responsible as well, but that doesn't take the NFL off the hook.

Sounds like we should just get rid of it all then.

xbhaskarx

Some stats from the NYT comments section, not sure how accurate this is...

michjas Phoeenix 19 hours ago

The top 6 sports-related head-injury categories among children ages 14 and younger:

Cycling: 40,272
Football: 21,878
Baseball and Softball: 18,246
Basketball: 14,952
Skateboards/Scooters: 14,783
Water Sports: 12,843
Soccer: 8,392
Powered Recreational Vehicles: 6,818
Winter Sports: 6,750
Trampolines: 5,025

Because so many kids engage in cycling, football is surely more dangerous. But it's hardly the only offender. Addressing the danger in football will address a substantial number of victims, but only about 15% of the total. You can't raise your kids in a bubble. But you can and must assure that they do not take unnecessary risks. Always wear hard helmets in the most dangerous sports. Wear leather helmets in soccer and, maybe, basketball. Develop a whole code of safety for kids' football.

Lots of "no tackle football until high school" comments.

Watch League of Denial, for many years the NFL treated this much like the tobacco industry and cancer.

The scariest thing to me is pee-wee and high school football. Permanent brain damage is also an indictment to the NCAA "amateurism" model of college football.

NFL players at least have top doctors and technology at their disposal, they're adults who can decide if they want to put their heads on the line, and they're paid well for what they do. Can't say that about the lower levels of the game.

Gallbaro

Banned
I love American football, but I don't think it will exist in its current form in 25 years.

Get rid of safety gear and it will probably get a little safer (all safety gear is doing is enabling high velocity impacts), but ultimately it is a fundamentally flawed sport if society is genuinely concerned about safety.

I love American football, but I don't think it will exist in its current form in 25 years.
Too early to say. What if CTE is detectable and correctable? What if most of the damage is done at young ages?

I don't really like the idea of anyone younger than 17 playing tackle football with what we currently know, though.

So bleed all the money out of them with taxes.
Just like we did with the oil industry?

My point is, saying "ban the sport" is not a realistic option. It makes faaaar too much money. If society decides the cost is unacceptable, it will die a slow and natural death. Some of that will depend on how steep the cost really is.

terrisus

Just like we did with the oil industry?

My point is, saying "ban the sport" is not a realistic option. It makes faaaar too much money. If society decides the cost is unacceptable, it will die a slow and natural death. Some of that will depend on how steep the cost really is.

Exactly. Like we're doing with cigarettes, which apparently the country has decided "is not a realistic option" to ban, so instead they pile taxes on top of them.

Do the same thing with Football - put a huge tax on top of tickets, equipment, stadia, field use, etc.

Kinyou

This just in: Football might be bad for your health

drewbreeshitt6s0u.gif

I wonder how the next commissioner will deal with this. Be more proactive, or continue to slow-roll it as the NFL gradually gains the stink of the boxing industry?

Really, some of it just doesn't seem fixable, though. Concussions will never be eliminated. And how many does it take before it is medically smart to never play again? Two or three? It'll probably take decades for science to really figure it out. Unfortunately, they're going to have a ton of high-profile test cases with which to work in the coming years.

riotous

Banned
I wonder what their criteria is for "retired player."

If it's anyone whose ever played in the league than quit, then that percentage must skyrocket for players with decent careers.

Is there info on the criteria? I skimmed but did't see it.

I wonder how the next commissioner will deal with this. Be more proactive, or continue to slow-roll it as the NFL gradually gains the stink of the boxing industry?

Really, some of it just doesn't seem fixable, though. Concussions will never be eliminated. And how many does it take before it is medically smart to never play again? Two or three? It'll probably take decades for science to really figure it out. Unfortunately, they're going to have a ton of high-profile test cases with which to work in the coming years.

brain trauma has been recorded in players without a history of concussions. It seems that the smaller, more regular hits to the head can over time have the same effect as several concussions.

For all the stink boxing has, it still generates hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue. The highest paid athlete in the world is a boxer.

Opiate

I wonder what their criteria is for "retired player."

If it's anyone whose ever played in the league than quit, then that percentage must skyrocket for players with decent careers.

Is there info on the criteria? I skimmed but did't see it.

I thought the same thing. What criteria are they using? I strongly suspect the number could easily be higher if you framed the data differently. I suspect this is the most generous way to frame the data, or the NFL would have done so differently.

Tubie

Take all the protective gear away.

You won't rush head in into someone's spine if you're not wearing a helmet.

lednerg

^^ yup

Kids shouldn't be playing full-contact football. I bet that's where much of the long-term brain damage originates, all those hits to the head while their brains are still developing.

Opiate

Yes, but this reduces the entertainment value for a lot of consumers.

Let's be realistic: a significant portion of the reason the NFL has risen to become the premiere sport in the US is that it features gigantic men slamming in to each other as hard as they possibly can. I don't mean to suggest the NFL would suddenly have zero fans if those sorts of hard hits went away, but it would notably reduce it.

The same phenomena is evident in hockey. We've got these elbow and shoulder pads that are titanium hard, they become weapons when a check is thrown. It's so much more violent and reckless than it was when guys were wearing thin padding and no helmets. Guys back then practiced self-preservation and generally didn't check to hurt, because the other guy was so vulnerable, and you'd hurt yourself in the process anyway. They checked to separate an opponent from the puck. Now you don't feel anything when your elbow smashes into the other guy's face. It's not as bad as football, but it's a big problem. Guys feel invincible, even though they're getting hurt at a much higher rate than when they weren't decked out like they were extras in Mad Max 2.

Tubie

Yes, but this reduces the entertainment value for a lot of consumers.

Let's be realistic: a significant portion of the reason the NFL has risen to become the premiere sport in the US is that it features gigantic men slamming in to each other as hard as they possibly can. I don't mean to suggest the NFL would suddenly have zero fans if those sorts of hard hits went away, but it would notably reduce it.

I know why it's so popular. If modern day fight-to-the-death gladiator battles were legal, that would be the #1 sport in America.

At some point a line has to be drawn.

Now we know football in it's current form is incredibly dangerous. There's no excuse for it to remain that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom