• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Super Bowl XLVII |OT| Where The Magic Happens

Status
Not open for further replies.

linkboy

Consistency? They were perhaps the most consistent team in the league. Losing every third game gets you in the playoffs every year. The Niners had no bad injuries. They beat everyone they were supposed to. They just lost against a team they let get too far ahead, and then couldn't execute in one redzone series. Shit happens.

Some folks need to follow a shit team for a while to gain some perspective.

Also, people are bitching about refs? This game was clean. Walk with that shit.

Wow, what 49ers team did you watch.

They lost to Minnesota, a team they were expected to beat.

They got the shit kicked out of them by the Giants

They tied the Rams in a game they should have won

They lost to the Rams again in the exact same way

Seattle kicked their ass up and down Quest (or whatever it's called) Field.

The 49ers, this season, were horribly inconsistent and it showed in the Super Bowl.

And yes, the refs did fuck up a lot of calls, that impacted the game. However, I kinda expected something like that when I heard Boger was the ref for the game, he's one of my least favorite regs.

That's not absolving SF of their fuckups, but Boger's crew did have an impact on the game.

Boger's selection raises eyebrows

This is something that is going to be brought up a lot more after how his crew called that game.

MBison

Ravens deserved to win, they dominated the first half and that kickoff return. Should the guy have been ejected for pushing the ref? yeah. But everything else is pretty solidly called.

The worst call? The 49ers play calling at the 1st and goal for the SUPER BOWL VICTORY. OMG, the 3rd and 4th down calls were especially abysmal. You have the best running QB in the league and you call a couple awful pocket passes? Sadly the delay of game playcall was the best one, had that been snapped in time I think Kap scores easily. His side was open and had Gore blocking.

Awful just AWFUL play calling with the game in your grasp.

linkboy

Ravens deserved to win, they dominated the first half and that kickoff return. Should the guy have been ejected for pushing the ref? yeah. But everything else is pretty solidly called.

The worst call? The 49ers play calling at the 1st and goal for the SUPER BOWL VICTORY. OMG, the 3rd and 4th down calls were especially abysmal. You have the best running QB in the league and you call a couple awful pocket passes? Sadly the delay of game playcall was the best one, had that been snapped in time I think Kap scores easily. His side was open and had Gore blocking.

Awful just AWFUL play calling with the game in your grasp.

That's the problem a lot of us have with Greg Roman. For all the good things he does, he goes full retard in key situations (like that situation).

pigeon

Banned
After the first half we almost switched to the Puppy Bowl. Glad SF clawed their way back and came within two yards of the win. Maybe letting that guy return the kickoff for a touchdown wasn't the best plan, but I guess that's how you learn.

Where'd you watch the game at?

Home in Morgan Hill with my one buddy who also moved here from Baltimore. I took my kids for ice cream after the game and we walked into a bunch of Niner families consoling their kids. We all had Ravens jersies on. The lady behind the counter said "how are you doing," and I replied loudly " I'm doing absolutely spectacular," and looked at everyone there. Felt awesome.

HoodWinked

Home in Morgan Hill with my one buddy who also moved here from Baltimore. I took my kids for ice cream after the game and we walked into a bunch of Niner families consoling their kids. We all had Ravens jersies on. The lady behind the counter said "how are you doing," and I replied loudly " I'm doing absolutely spectacular," and looked at everyone there. Felt awesome.

scumbag gonna scumbag lol

The 49ers, this season, were horribly inconsistent and it showed in the Super Bowl.

And yes, the refs did fuck up a lot of calls, that impacted the game. However, I kinda expected something like that when I heard Boger was the ref for the game, he's one of my least favorite regs.

That's not absolving SF of their fuckups, but Boger's crew did have an impact on the game.

This is something that is going to be brought up a lot more after how his crew called that game.

Yeah I don't know what Niners he's talking about either. When they've got their shit together you wonder what the hell is up that other part of the time.

Blearth

Banned
Hooray for the Niners for keeping me interested until the very last game of the season! Pitchers and catchers report in less than two weeks!

Greg

the children of those parents in the future:

qp3GjtY.jpg

a new cycle is born

linkboy

It's like these niners fans don't remember when their team was shitty

A lot of us also remember when they were really fucking good.

That's what seeing the 49ers in the Super Bowl again reminded me of. It reminded me of my childhood, watching them win the Super Bowls that they did (I'll be 31 next month), and then the game started.

That's why this loss hurts for a lot of us. The majority of us grew up in the 80s and we've never (until this game) seen the 49ers lose a Super Bowl. It's a new feeling for us and some people are having a hard time getting used to it (even I am and I've accepted that SF fucked up in this game, 5-1 still looks weird when I see it).

Believe me when I say that we remember the last decade and how utterly fucking shitty it was.

If the refs had called holding on the safety, would there have been a 10 second runoff?
Because that would have been the most hilarious way for the game to end.

*edit nevermind, nope no it wouldn't

BobDylan

this is quite possibly one of the best posts I have witnessed in my time here

Trey

Then no NFL team is consistent. I forgot about those trash games against the Rams (can you blame me?) but divisional games are usually tough. And Giants were no gimme even though they shit the bed this year. Seattle smacked the taste out of your mouth because they are a good team.

Again, the team had no glaring injuries. Their offensive line was intact all year and they executed their game plan the same way every game all year. Some teams are more prepared for it than others. You want to look for consistency at the personnel level and how that player and/or unit performs across the season. The word is mostly meaningless at the macro level considering all the variables with which to scrutinize the word. Football is not built to be measured like that.

Now it is possible my view of the Niners is not sufficient enough to discuss in depth, but your list of rebuttals does not necessarily make a SB team inconsistent.

As far as the refs are concerned, their impact was muted. They did not dictate the game and you can point to multiple instances from both teams that impacted the game more. Which is similar to saying they were a non-factor.

linkboy

Then no NFL team is consistent. I forgot about those trash games against the Rams (can you blame me?) but divisional games are usually tough. And Giants were no gimme even though they shit the bed this year. Seattle smacked the taste out of your mouth because they are a good team.

Again, the team had no glaring injuries. Their offensive line was intact all year and they executed their game plan the same way every game all year. Some teams are more prepared for it than others. You want to look for consistency at the personnel level and how that player and/or unit performs across the season. The word is mostly meaningless at the macro level considering all the variables with which to scrutinize the word. Football is not built to be measured like that.

Now it is possible my view of the Niners is not sufficient enough to discuss in depth, but your list of rebuttals does not necessarily make a SB team inconsistent.

As far as the refs are concerned, their impact was muted. They did not dictate the game and you can point to multiple instances from both teams that impacted the game more. Which is similar to saying they were a non-factor.

Dude, I watched damn near every 49ers game this season, the team was horribly inconsistent.

No glaring injuries. Justin Smith, the entire cog of the defense wasn't the same after he hurt his arm in the Patriots game. From that point on, the 49ers pass rush flew south for the winter and they still haven't found it. They lost Parys Haralson early in training camp due to an arm injury. They lost Kendall Hunter, Kyle Williams and Mario Manningham all to ACL tears.

Just because the refs didn't dictate the game, doesn't mean they didn't have an impact on it. Reed being offsides on the two point conversion, the non-call hold in the endzone on 4-5 (that was 7 yards deep, it was holding). Just those plays right there had a major impact in the game.

Trey

Justin Smith's injury was pretty huge and effectively crippled the Niners pass rush for the rest of the season, which didn't exactly help the secondary either.

Justin Smith was an important piece but every team deep in the playoffs is missing an integral player.

The Niners had the healthiest roster in the league. Injuries are a part of the game.

Dude, I watched damn near every 49ers game this season, the team was horribly inconsistent.

Just because the refs didn't dictate the game, doesn't mean they didn't have an impact on it. Reed being offsides on the two point conversion, the non-call hold in the endzone on 4-5 (that was 7 yards deep, it was holding). Just those plays right there had a major impact in the game.

I'm sure you wished they played better where it counted but that is no measure of consistency.

You can't pick fouls like that. The Niners had a great chance to go ahead late in the game after that missed call but got legitimately walled. The game is completely different if it's tied after that 2pt conversion and the Niners could lose another way.

PI is a touchy deal. Shouldn't have to live on those. It could go one way or the other, just like holding. When it comes to refs, the best you can hope for is for calls not to be blown (like the Packers-Seattle game). If a ref does not dictate the game, it's fine.

Can someone give me a link to the holding calls.

I don't understand them all, for example:

when does a defence have the right to hold/block a player when he doesn't have the ball?

Invisible Man

aka SexyNerd
Can someone give me a link to the holding calls.

I don't understand them all, for example:

when does a defence have the right to hold/block a player when he doesn't have the ball?

Within five yards of the line of scrimmage before the ball is in the air. After the ball is in the air the defender can touch the receiver as long as it doesn't impede their path to the ball.

Pezking

More than once, it seemed like the clock was still running after a the previous play ended out of bounds.

I watched the NFL network world feed on ESPN America. Was that just a fuckup by them? Did anyone else notice that?

FMT included since people will ask. Just did a quick runthrough and might have accidentally listed sarcasm in some cases!

---

For the record, I'm not salty at all. It was a casual observation. Win, lose, or draw, I had determined I wasn't going to watch anymore football, because I'm not just that interested in the sport these days.

More than once, it seemed like the clock was still running after a the previous play ended out of bounds.

I watched the NFL network world feed on ESPN America. Was that just a fuckup by them? Did anyone else notice that?

Clock doesn't always stop when you run out of bounds, only in the last 5 minutes of the half and game I believe.

linkboy

Clock doesn't always stop when you run out of bounds, only in the last 5 minutes of the half and game I believe.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6699511_nfl-clock-stoppage-rules.html

It's supposed to be stopped anytime a player goes out of bounds. It gets restarted when the line judge spots the ball, blows his whistle and rotates his arm.

The 5 minute thing just changes when the clock starts up again. In the last 2 minutes of the first half, the clock doesn't start until the ball is snapped and it's the last 5 minutes for the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom