• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Wild Card 2012 |OT| You Need An Ace In The Hole

GQman2121

Banned
Holy shit at all the people getting let go. The season just ended 12 hours ago.

Need that Homer gif of him cutting kids from the peewee league. You're cut.

Crisco

Banned
KgZ2v.png

Mrbob

Bears roster is fading. Same as the Cowboys and Chargers. CAR and CLE are the best rosters with openings

They got some decent pieces on offense though.

Cutler
Forte
Marshall

Alshon Jefferey is emerging too as a rookie. Just need to get an oline.

Martz is a pain in the ass to work with, and that is why he got fired, but he was doing some things with this Bears last season before Cutler got hurt. This is without having Marshall or Jefferey to use as weapons.

Which firings do you disagree with?

Reid been there 14 years, 0 rings. you gotta win rings. You dont win at least 1 in a decade plus and had a down streak you gots to go

Lovie Smith, been there like 8 years or some shit, once again 0 rings. got to win a ring

Pat Shurmur, he's a fucking moron and a clown. watching him argue refs over shit that is right is hilarious its like hiring a 12 year old kid that has little to no grasp of the concept of football

Romeo Crennel better off a coordinator

I'm cool with Smith and Reid. When its time to rebuild its time to get a new coach.

But I think the Chiefs, Browns, and Bills should just keep it going imo. Swapping coaches when there hasn't really been any noticable change in direction while you STILL suck just sucks the soul out of players and fans.

jakncoke

Banned
I heard rumors yesterday that Bills were gunning for Jon and Jay Gruden...lol, no one will ever go to Buffalo

But will they go to Toronto ;)

I'm cool with Smith and Reid. When its time to rebuild its time to get a new coach.

But I think the Chiefs, Browns, and Bills should just keep it going imo. Swapping coaches when there hasn't really been any noticable change in direction while you STILL suck just sucks the soul out of players and fans.

All 3 shouldnt of been hired in the first place honestly. And they'll prob hire someone that shouldnt be hired for a HC again. sucks to suck thats on the owners and management

Dragon

Banned
To say he doe not have a history of choking out is silly. Because he won 1 super bowl the argument is invalid? Because anything can happen mentality makes the argument invalid? How many times did they go epic records barely play him then not make the AFC Championship? Now does this mean he will choke this year, no. Nothing is definite(besides browns/lions sucking). But to say he isn't a historical choke is laughable.

It's all a matter of perspective. If the Steelers don't win that horribly refed game against the Seahawks people would call Ben a choker too. BTW, his playoff numbers are significantly worse than Peyton's.

Bowser

Rivera presser quotes:

SteveReedAP: Ron Rivera says he has no talked to Mr Richardson. Says they will talk at a later time.

SteveReedAP: Ron Rivera admits it is tough not knowing his future but that it's part of the deal.

SteveReedAP: Rivera: I would like the opportunity to have the job.

SteveReedAP: Rivera: I will reflect on the positives. I think we are better today than the day we started.

SteveReedAP: Rivera says GM search starts today.

If I had to hazard a guess, Richardson is in New York right now

Wes

venison crêpe

New Browns owner. He would've wanted his own people no matter what.

squicken

Martz is a pain in the ass to work with, and that is why he got fired, but he was doing some things with this Bears last season before Cutler got hurt. This is without having Marshall or Jefferey to use as weapons.

As long as you have Orlando Pace he is a great play caller. But he just will not sacrifice his 7 step drops 5 going out gameplans for anything. Won't adapt.

Do you think so poorly of Kyle as to compare him to those two?

He's going to get the Washington job eventually if he keeps this up. I think the dude knows where his bread is buttered. If he was all about himself and stepping out of his pops shadow he would never have come to Washington.

Mrbob

Lovie 10-6 fired

Schwartz 4-12 Possibly staying

Love it.

As long as you have Orlando Pace he is a great play caller. But he just will not sacrifice his 7 step drops 5 going out gameplans for anything. Won't adapt.

That's not necessarily true. It took Cutler getting destroyed early in the season on sacks, but Martz can adapt. He is just extremely stubborn and prideful and doesn't want to get away from those deep drops.

I guess my bigger point though is that there are enough pieces on offense to make Chicago a compelling job, even if the defense is getting older. This is why I want an offensive minded head coach. A good one, too. Not Todd Haley.

ari

Banned
the bears roster is not fading...it is better then years past by a fucking mile.

cutler
marshall
forte
bush
bennett
jeffrey

all these dudes are play makers. A new system with them and fresh play makers under new management would do wonders.

Bowser

lol Lombardi trying to backtrack like a motherfucker, just reported on NFL Network Around the League LIVE that Rivera's fate will be in limbo and that decision on him probably won't be made until a new GM is hired. No shit sherlock.

He has a history of 1 and done.

I revel in reposting this whenever someone talks out of their ass and pretends Manning hasn't played a playoff game since 2004. This was accurate as of summer 2011...maybe a little outdated in respect to other QBs, but not Manning.

Maybe the rest of his team has something to do with those heart-wrenching losses?

Manning is second (to Rodgers in a MUCH smaller sample size) in yards per drive in the playoffs
Manning has averaged more points per drive than Brady in the playoffs
Manning has averaged fewer 3 and outs than Brady in the playoffs

Manning is 6th best in fewest punts per drive in the playoffs
He is 7th best in fewest turnovers per drive (just a fraction behind Brady in 5th)
He has the 7th fewest drives per game
He also has the WORST STARTING FIELD POSITION OF ANY QB IN THE PLAYOFFS SINCE 1980. Just under 40% of Manning playoff drives started inside the 20 yardline.

Manning and Moon had the worst starting field position of these 24 quarterbacks. Aikman and Roethlisberger? Some of the best starting field position. Would the Colts and Oilers have won more games if they could get more stops on defense to get the ball back to their offense and in better field position? It would seem so, but in the cases of Steve McNair andRandall Cunningham, that would appear to be no guarantee.

I have seen people say the Colts only scored 17 points in their playoff losses in 2008 and 2009. Looking at this clears that up. The worst field position in any of the 314 games I looked at belongs to Peyton Manning's Colts in the 2008 Wild Card game at San Diego, where they had to start at the 15.67 on average. The Colts did manage to score 17 points that day. The second worst game also belongs to the Colts, and it is the big one: Super Bowl 44 last year (16.63 was their average start). They scored 17 points in that one as well. Steve Young's 16.70 game against the Packers in the 1997 NFC Championship is the third worst game, and the 49ers scored 3 points on offense that day. Touchdowns are harder to come by when the field ahead of you is so long. In the games I looked at there were 1080 drives started at least 80 yards away from the end zone, and only 182 (16.9%) ended in a touchdown.
Consider that later in the piece, we find out that Manning has the second longest average TD drive in the playoffs (more than 70 yards). Roethlisberger? 4th shortest (less than 60 yards). Brady? just over 60 yards. Manning has only had one touchdown drive under 40 yards in his playoff career. Roethlisberger and Brady have had 8 each.

Manning retains more of his regular season stats in the playoffs, compared to Brady, Roethlisberger, or Favre.

Compared to his regular-season numbers, Roethlisberger's performance in the playoffs isn't good. It's right in line with Tom Brady and Brett Favre, each of whom see their performance drop in one category or another. Manning actually retains more of his regular-season performance during the playoffs than any of the three, while -- incredibly -- Kurt Warner actually put up better numbers in the playoffs than he did during the regular season!

I don't know where the "Colts have had a great O-line" talk comes from, but the Colts O-line has been horrendous, yet Manning is still the best at getting rid of the ball

How do you explain a team with its tackles grading out at a combined -23.3 in pass protection finishing No. 1? Peyton Manning, that’s how. His ability to get rid of the ball before pressure can get to him is second to none, with just 7.52% of all pressure resulting in sacks. Couple that with not needing backs and tight ends to stay in, and you have our top ranked unit for the second year in a row.
Pressure Per Play Rank: 2nd
Sack % of Pressure Rank: 2nd
Average Number of Blockers Per Play Rank: 2nd

PFF concluded that Manning was the best QB from 2008-2010.:

1. Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts
It will surprise no one that our top ranked passer over the past three years is the great Peyton Manning. He was top of the rankings in 2008 and 2009, and finished second in 2010. Without him, it’s hard to imagine what the Colts would do, especially when you consider the state of his offensive line. He’ll give up a few interceptions, but nobody wins more games for their team.
Grade: +190.4

Stats and analysis > horrifying memories of Manning's early playoff career.

ypYI0.gif

SonnyBoy

I don't know why but I feel pretty damn good about the Seattle game.

Same here. It'll be interesting to see how we match up against them. However, Wilson is pretty elusive and our rushers aren't nimble. It'll be interesting to see how effective our blitzes are against him.

Also, we get one of our DB's back from suspension. He was balling out before we lost him.

Luck and Flacco look like they could be friends. Really dorky friends.

LOL yeah they do.

jakncoke

Banned
It's all a matter of perspective. If the Steelers don't win that horribly refed game against the Seahawks people would call Ben a choker too. BTW, his playoff numbers are significantly worse than Peyton's.

We definitely got bailed out in the Seahawks super bowl by our D, and no matter what you people will say. If Seattle was good enough that year they would of won. It wasnt bad enough reffed game that they couldnt overcome. We won by 11. Sucks to suck.

beast786

the bears roster is not fading...it is better then years past by a fucking mile.

cutler
marshall
forte
bush
bennett
jeffrey

all these dudes are play makers. A new system with them and fresh play makers under new management would do wonders.

How are they great play makers? Worst offense in NFL is full of great play makers?

CrankyJay

Banned
My family are annoying Bills fans so I must extend it to Bills fans of all. But you can rest easy tonight that due to the 400 million exit fee they'll probably stay at least a decade more ;)

I think in year 7 they can leave Buffalo for $29 Million...lol

Where do your parents live?

squicken

I guess my bigger point though is that there are enough pieces on offense to make Chicago a compelling job, even if the defense is getting older. This is why I want an offensive minded head coach. A good one, too. Not Todd Haley.

Agree with that. Days of defensive minded HCs are ending. QB league and the #1 job is to develop them.

jakncoke

Banned
I think in year 7 they can leave Buffalo for $29 Million...lol

Where do your parents live?

My dad is a Steelers fan, but most my family is Bills fans because for some fucking reason they made my town and northern pa bills country so all the bills games are shown. My bills family is also crazy delusional. My one cousin thought you guys were going 11-5 this year and my uncle talks up every qb like jon gruden does(except rob johnson he talks shit on him)

CrankyJay

Banned
My dad is a Steelers fan, but most my family is Bills fans because for some fucking reason they made my town and northern pa bills country so all the bills games are shown.

Haha, sorry to hear that.

We are a tormented bunch, hanging onto the glory days of the early 90s. That's really all we ever had going for us...well that, and tailgating.

bluemax

Banned
Edit: As soon as I post, damn, lol!

I'm conflicted on this. Rivera was garbage for a year and a half, but the team woke up at the end. If you're going to fire him now then you better have a AAA coach coming in.

Speaking of, if Marc Ross is the GM hire then I imagine that'll be announced quickly.

Chip Kelly with Carolina's offensive talent would be scary as fuck.

beast786

Their OC was way over his head and didn't know what he was doing.

Seems like its always OC and never cutler since Denver. Bennet is talented but always injuired, Marshall is a stud but again with big drops and Jaffrey has more drops and penalties than TD's.

Your offense sucks because of an overated talent evaluation. Marshall is the only stud in that offense.

Top Bottom