• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2017 |OT| Alternative Stats

I'm hoping Lou isn't dumb enough to trade him. There is really no rush to get a top D just yet (let the contenders pay the price for rentals).

I can't see it happening.

Even in the silly hypotheticals the Overdrive guys were tossing around yesterday, if a team is concerned about losing a quality player for zilch in the expansion draft, then why would Toronto - or any other team for that matter - offer up one of their best young players? Doing so completely negates their advantage.

Reckheim

Sure, but if they ever want a top D guy, they'll have to trade one of their key forwards and Nylander makes the most sense, whether it's now or later. Larrson fetched Hall, you're not trading Brown for a top guy.

This I know. I just don't think the leafs should be in a rush to get a defense man, its obvious we are not good enough right now to do anything beyond a first/second round exist (at best).

Personally I wouldn't trade Nylander regardless of our need for a top pairing defenseman.

Misread the name as Remy Lacroix.

She's not a nightmare. She's a dream! GIF Spoilered for your protection

tumblr_n3ujttrEbB1sj54ayo1_500.gif

watched the WPG-DALLAMLLALAMAS game on the bus ride, wow pretty good hockey. and dare i say Pavelec was... good. throughout the whole game! i heard "saved by Pavelec" so many times i started to get hypnotized by it.

oh and Laine is on an 8 game point streak (13pts), with a concussion in between. so thats pretty nice. how's Matthews doing?

Cactus

Banned
No way, he's the least Bergevin kind of player you could imagine.
Offensive depth on an expiring contract without expending any assets.

He'll be a Hab tomorrow
Well, maybe not a Hab, but he'll be claimed for sure

Actually, we might see him traded before noon tomorrow, since there might be a team willing to give up a late pick or something to ensure they get him (rather than leave it up to waiver priority).

calder

Never not funny.

wow pretty good hockey. and dare i say Pavelec was... good. throughout the whole game! i heard "saved by Pavelec" so many times i started to get hypnotized by it.

It IS a dare to say that, because he'll only let you down in the end. ;) Like any bad goalie in the NHL, he's obviously *somewhat* talented or he wouldn't have made it this far. He's well liked by his teammates and coaches because he's been given numerous chances to succeed. But ultimately he just has a few holes in his game he's never been able to fix (rebound control, lateral movement, occasional focus problems) and as a result he'll always be inconsistent at best. He can get hot (read: lucky) for a while and string some wins together and make a few great saves but inevitably you'll get those games where he lets in a few bad/sloppy goals and it kills the team.

Big upside of the Barberio pickup:

Perhaps the biggest benefit for the Avalanche is Barberio’s contract status heading into the expansion draft. Barberio is signed for this and next year at a measly $750K before becoming a UFA in 2018. According to the NHL, each team is required to expose: “One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.” The only Avalanche defenseman who fit that description today are Erik Johnson, Tyson Barrie, Francois Beauchemin, and Nikita Zadorov however, if Barberio plays in 14 of the Avalanche’s remaining games this season, he will fill the minimum requirements for the expansion draft this summer

It IS a dare to say that, because he'll only let you down in the end. ;) Like any bad goalie in the NHL, he's obviously *somewhat* talented or he wouldn't have made it this far. He's well liked by his teammates and coaches because he's been given numerous chances to succeed. But ultimately he just has a few holes in his game he's never been able to fix (rebound control, lateral movement, occasional focus problems) and as a result he'll always be inconsistent at best. He can get hot (read: lucky) for a while and string some wins together and make a few great saves but inevitably you'll get those games where he lets in a few bad/sloppy goals and it kills the team.

you are fake news.

Pavelec will win the next one too with over 40 saves, he's the best goalie since Brodeur. a lot of very smart people are saying he gets the Vezina again. has to be his fifth time, it will be really quite amazing.

oh god im sorry

i have to admit i can't name a single current Islanders player.

i just got back into hockey after a looooong break so forgive me. i remember Pierre Turgeon and ummm i'm sure someone else played for them too.. Ziggy Palffy!

Top Bottom