• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March |OT| It's Spring, Not Autumn, But The Leafs Are Fallin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude. What?

Solo got banned for a parody thread, which has always been bannable. "I only eat pizza", so far as I know, wasn't a parody thread.

And who's getting shit for treating each other like a community? Being hostile towards other people (which apparently was the case with NBA-GAF) is what's bringing the hammer down.

I think there's a clear difference between legitimate hostility and occasional/jest trash talk. The only legitimate and prolonged hostility I've seen in this group has been towards Tabris. I get the feeling that follows him to most communities he tries to meld with though.

I think we're pretty safe guys.

Dude. What?

Solo got banned for a parody thread, which has always been bannable. "I only eat pizza", so far as I know, wasn't a parody thread.

And who's getting shit for treating each other like a community? Being hostile towards other people (which apparently was the case with NBA-GAF) is what's bringing the hammer down.

So that thread isn't a parody of the whole "Feed it Pizza" meme here. It certainly is borderline either way. Sports-Gaf has been called "too insular" explicitly despite the fact that there are numerous "insular" communities on Gaf dispersed through random topics. My point here is that the standard isn't applied AS a standard but arbitrarily and then justified with the TOS. If the mods STRICTLY imposed the TOS then there would be a TON of stuff that gets banned that doesn't. All I'm saying is that this recent criticism of the sports threads as "insular" is stupid. Disagree with the pizza example if you want, but I really don't think the singling out lately has been warranted.

Socreges

Banned
brucewaynegretzky said:
So that thread isn't a parody of the whole "Feed it Pizza" meme here. It certainly is borderline either way. Sports-Gaf has been called "too insular" explicitly despite the fact that there are numerous "insular" communities on Gaf dispersed through random topics. My point here is that the standard isn't applied AS a standard but arbitrarily and then justified with the TOS. If the mods STRICTLY imposed the TOS then there would be a TON of stuff that gets banned that doesn't. All I'm saying is that this recent criticism of the sports threads as "insular" is stupid. Disagree with the pizza example if you want, but I really don't think the singling out lately has been warranted.
work_5952506_1_flat%252C550x550%252C075%252Cf_secret-meetings.jpg

"There's a parody thread in the OT."
"Did a beloved anime fan make it?"
"No, it was some guy named Solo. He frequents the NHL threads."
"That insular community?"
"The very same."
"Have him banned immediately."
"But sir-"
"Do as I say."
"But sir.... brucewaynegretzky... we have reason to believe he suspects our intentions."
".....leave him to me."

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-23zDPFn6Z2I/TjbpBg4RW6I/AAAAAAAABAM/oyoO1o5V-b4/s1600/work_5952506_1_flat%252C550x550%252C075%252Cf_secret-meetings.jpg[img]

"There's a parody thread in the OT."
"Did a beloved anime fan make it?"
"No, it was some guy named [i]Solo[/i]. He frequents the NHL threads."
"That insular community?"
"The very same."
"Have him banned immediately."
"But sir-"
"Do as I say."
"But sir.... brucewaynegretzky... we have reason to believe he suspects our intentions."
".....leave him to me."[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying Solo got banned cuz he was an NHL regular.... pay attention man! I was using him as an example. Stop putting arguments in my mouth I'm not making. I'm saying the sports threads are being called "insular" despite no real justification for differentiating them.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Now all Gaglardass needs to do is buy up Parise and Semin in the summer, and it'll be Cup Runs for the rest of the decade.

Gonna be hard when Parise goes to Detroit.

Barrage

+ Suter and Weber. Forgot those. Everybody wants a piece of them.

I didn't forget them.

I love Suter, but think he's gonna resign with the Preds.

I think Weber's overrated, and I think he's gonna sign with whoever offers him the most money.

If the Stars could sign either one, great. I think they have a better chance of going after Parise.

Gonna be hard when Parise goes to Detroit.

Why would he, he's in his 20's and healthy.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Why would he, he's in his 20's and healthy.

*Applauds*

Well-crafted.

I honestly think, though, that this summer is the dismantling of the team I've been waiting for. Holmstrom has to be gone. Babcock hates Hudler, so he'll be gone. Their beat writers have already said they're going full-bore after Parise. I'd imagine if Lidstrom retires (which I think he will) that they'll also go full-bore after Suter.

I wonder how free agency will go this summer. No CBA or salary cap for next year. Teams that spend to the cap now maybe in trouble next year.

If there is a next year.

Plinko

You know Holland is only going to sign Brian Rolston and give him a lifelong position with the team while giving Holmstrom and Cleary contract extensions so you might as well forget about this Parise nonsense.

Fixed.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
I wonder how free agency will go this summer. No CBA or salary cap for next year. Teams that spend to the cap now maybe in trouble next year.

If there is a next year.

You'd figure teams would be wise enough to understand that the salary cap may (I'm guessing will) come down in the next CBA and wouldn't spend like mad.

fallout

Switching to more important matters, you had mentioned spreading a virulent flu bug throughout the Pens locker room leading up to tonight's game. How did that go? Well? They all flu'ed up?
They're all flu'd up. AHL squad is replacing the entire team. Given that the Jets are playing on the road, I think I've upped their chances of winning to about 20%.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
NHL-GAF is really the only reason I come to GAF on most days, so hopefully these threads don't go away.
Likewise, and it's the main reason I got a gaf account after lurking for so long, it's the best place for NHL discussion period, trash talking included.

Quick

Banned

If there is a next year.

"Business as usual," they say.

So, I'd imagine conservative spending. Too much uncertainty to make a lot of big signings, unless GMs are confident about the CBA and cap.

Plinko

"Business as usual," they say.

So, I'd imagine conservative spending.
Too much uncertainty to make a lot of big signings, unless GMs are confident about the CBA and cap.

wat

Last year they went crazy. Mediocre guys were getting outrageous contracts.

Marvie_3

Banned
Conklin will get an extension too though.
You'd figure teams would be wise enough to understand that the salary cap may (I'm guessing will) come down in the next CBA and wouldn't spend like mad.
I think that's why so many teams have a bunch of cap space this year. There's only a few teams that are up against the cap.

wat

Last year they went crazy. Mediocre guys were getting outrageous contracts.
That happens every year though.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Conklin will get an extension too though.

I think that's why so many teams have a bunch of cap space this year. There's only a few teams that are up against the cap.

That happens every year though.

Cap Space, what's that? -looks at Canucks- nope, no idea what that is.

SpacLock

What the fuck? Howard is injured again?

I haven't been keeping up on news as much lately because it's all been so negative. I should have kept ignoring it apparently.

Barrage

Looking at most teams Cap Situations, the teams that could afford to sign Weber/Suter while offering a winning situation would be Washington, Ottawa and Dallas.

Whether they'll actually wanna play there is another matter.

Plinko

That was supposed to be a joke. :lol

Notice how I explain afterwards.

LOL

Sorry--I should have guessed.

Looking at most teams Cap Situations, the teams that could afford to sign Weber/Suter while offering a winning situation would be Washington, Ottawa and Dallas.

Whether they'll actually wanna play there is another matter.

If Lidstrom retires (good possibility) and Stuart leaves (100% possibility) Detroit could easily sign one of them and Parise. They may end up with $20 million in cap space.

Marvie_3

Banned
LOL

Sorry--I should have guessed.

If Lidstrom retires (good possibility) and Stuart leaves (100% possibility) Detroit could easily sign one of them and Parise. They may end up with $20 million in cap space.

Ty Conklin to get a $20 million raise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom