• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2017 [OT]- Kneelin' and dealin'

PillarEN

As most of you know, Ken Holland has driven the Red Wings off the cliff of oblivion with his terrible contracts and salary cap management.

Helene St. James, his sycophantic beat writer for the Detroit Free Press, shared his solution:

Code:
Helene St. James‏Verified account @HeleneStJames

Red Wings plan to carry 20 skaters & two goalies, making them salary cap compliant.

The man should have been fired 3 years ago.

So one man short. My question is how does this all work. If any of the 22 go on LTIR then of course someone would fill in, but if someone is only injured then they wouldn't be able to replace that roster spot correct?

I've honestly never thought about this ever. You just see people fill in when someone gets injured in the next game. Healthy scratches and stuff so I've never considered things like official roster numbers haha.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
So one man short. My question is how does this all work. If any of the 22 go on LTIR then of course someone would fill in, but if someone is only injured then they wouldn't be able to replace that roster spot correct?

I've honestly never thought about this ever. You just see people fill in when someone gets injured in the next game. Healthy scratches and stuff so I've never considered things like official roster numbers haha.
12 forwards, 7 D, 2 goalies, and Witkowski who can play forward and D. So we'd have to have 2 forwards go down for us at the same time that weren't serious enough to go on IR to be in trouble. If that does happen, then they'd have to put one of them on short term IR which means they can't play for like 10 days or 3 games (? something like that). Then we could call someone up from GR.

yyzjohn

Banned
12 forwards, 7 D, 2 goalies, and Witkowski who can play forward and D. So we'd have to have 2 forwards go down for us at the same time that weren't serious enough to go on IR to be in trouble. If that does happen, then they'd have to put one of them on short term IR which means they can't play for like 10 days or 3 games (? something like that). Then we could call someone up from GR.

Some neo thinking by the Wings. Why carry two goalies, only one plays at a time, scale that roster down another man.

So lineup looks something like this going into the first game:

Andrighetto - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Kerfoot - Duchene - Yakupov
Landeskog - Jost - Compher/Wilson
Wilson/Compher - Colborne - Nieto/Comeau

Johnson - Zadorov
Barberio - Barrie
Mironov/Lindholm - Bigras

Varlamov
Bernier

Greer on IR
Soderberg healthy scratch

Barberio getting pushed out hopefully next year would be nice. I still hate Comeau and Soderberg but at least Comeau can PK. Colborne is just a place holder at this point. I feel a lot better about this lineup compared to last year's, that's for god damn sure.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this...Wild will make the playoffs and lose to the Hawks again this year.

Also the absolute best Wild games to go to are a Jets @ Wild. Holy shit those Canadians really get into it.

Cake Boss

Banned
As most of you know, Ken Holland has driven the Red Wings off the cliff of oblivion with his terrible contracts and salary cap management.

Helene St. James, his sycophantic beat writer for the Detroit Free Press, shared his solution:

Lmao and the dude will always get a free pass within the mainstream press.

Marvie_3

Banned

Ken Holland is the gift that keeps on giving. 😍

PillarEN

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this...Wild will make the playoffs and lose to the Hawks again this year.

Also the absolute best Wild games to go to are a Jets @ Wild. Holy shit those Canadians really get into it.

This is definitely the right place for NHL hot takes. Welcome to NHL-GAF

Quick

Banned

I’m gonna need you to leave.

Come back when you’ve developed a solid dislike of the Winnipeg Jets and their fans.

Syrinx

Wallmark sent to Charlotte, PDG put on waivers.

Canes roster down to 25. I guess Necas or Kuokkanen might actually make it, Would still need to see how it shakes out.

Fleury definitely seems to have made the team. Either Dahlbeck gets sent to Charlotte or Bean goes back to the WHL. Probably the latter.
Or the Canes carry 8 dmen to start the year but I don't see the point with how young they all are.

Google

Guys,

I got Club 500 seasons tickets to the Vancouver Canucks.

Please give me an easy to read summary of the NHL going into 2018.

Best,

your pal.

Alright here's the easy to read version:

Going into this season the Vancouver Canucks have managed to look even less promising than the Colorado Avalanche after the Colorado Avalanche had a historically bad season last year.

Google

Going into this season the Vancouver Canucks have managed to look even less promising than the Colorado Avalanche after the Colorado Avalanche had a historically bad season last year.

So is it good or bad to have seasons tickets to the team?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Well no. That doesnt help me. Because THIS IS NOT EASY TO READ.

EDIT: like, I literally have no concept of points/draft picks/playoffs/etc. My sport if football, the English kind.

https://www.thoughtco.com/nhl-standings-explained-2778913

Note: All wins are 2 points, losses in regulation are worth zero, losses in overtime and shootouts are worth 1

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2013/11/17/new-nhl-playoff-seeding-explained/

http://everything.explained.today/NHL_Entry_Draft/

Ondor

Banned
You could always go to the games and cheer for the other team every time. I'm sure the people seated nearby will get a kick out of it.
Don't do this. As a stranger in a strange land (read as Canucks fan in Ontario), they don't like it when you do that.

According to a Czech sports site, This is going to be Jagr’s last season in the NHL.

Tomas Pokorny @Topicek
Jaromir Jagr: "At 99.9 percent, this is my last season in NHL. So I am happy I will play for Canadian team finally

Socreges

Banned
I don't think we're playoff bound this year, but I think that we're definitely on an upward trend now.
I would hope so. You've had- wait..

shit sorry that was a post from last year

I would hope so. You've had three top 3 picks in 9 years, plus some in the top 10.

I would hope so. You've had- wait..

shit sorry that was a post from last year

I would hope so. You've had three top 3 picks in 9 years, plus some in the top 10.

Point me in the direction of anyone predicting that roster on paper finishes the way they did last year.

Also, nothing I said about Vancouver was unfair bruh.

edit: Also also, Pracey was piss poor at doing his job. Ryan Stoa sends his regards.

Socreges

Banned
giphy.webp
Thought I'd point out how hollow that burn was. But sure.

That's what's funny Soc. You see me trying to burn Vancouver when I'm trying to be fair about the situation. It sucks ass when your team sucks ass, we both know this. Me saying that the Avs look more promising than Vancouver doesn't mean much but it's still reality sans-burn.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
@JSportsnet

Told now the League has completed its process for BOTH Hossa and Lupul...Results will come from the Clubs.

so basically... we're not going to hear about it again lol

Socreges

Banned
That's what's funny Soc. You see me trying to burn Vancouver when I'm trying to be fair about the situation. It sucks ass when your team sucks ass, we both know this. Me saying that the Avs look more promising than Vancouver doesn't mean much but it's still reality sans-burn.
Fine. Pedantry it is.

No, I see your post for what it is. And I didn't mind the burn. It invited my own. Unfortunately Avs fans, much like Canucks fans, are vulnerable to counter-ridicule right now.

Suggesting that the Canucks are on track to be historically worse than historically bad...yes, that is a burn attempt as it omitted your optimism for a team with an improved roster infused with young talent and having possibly learned from some mistakes.

Fine. Pedantry it is.

No, I see your post for what it is. And I didn't mind the burn. It invited my own. Unfortunately Avs fans, much like Canucks fans, are vulnerable to counter-ridicule right now.

Suggesting that the Canucks are on track to be historically worse than historically bad...yes, that is a burn attempt as it omitted your optimism for a team with an improved roster infused with young talent and having possibly learned from some mistakes.

It omitted my optimism that is readily available to read on this same damn page. I'll give you that fact, but it's still a stretch to say it was an intentional omission to burn anyone.
Well no. That doesnt help me. Because THIS IS NOT EASY TO READ.

EDIT: like, I literally have no concept of points/draft picks/playoffs/etc. My sport if football, the English kind.
There are the parameters he set. Inappropriate to fully go into detail between the two teams and how they compare beyond what I said? Yeah I still think so.

Man TV shit is confusing.

Got a new TV last week that supports 4K and HDR. I only have a regular PS4 so I can't do 4K shit with it but they do support HDR so I booted up MLB The Show to try it out, turned on HDR in the game and it was dark as fuck. So I looked up some shit and it told me some stuff to do and eventually got it looking better -- changing RGB range on the PS4 and HDMI Black Level on the TV -- but then I switch to Destiny 2, a game that doesn't support HDR and it looked kinda off.

Do I really have to fuck with settings every time I switch from an HDR game to a non HDR game?

Also some shit I read online was straight up contradicting other shit. Some said put PS4 RGB range to full and TV HDMI Black Level to Low, some said full and normal, some said auto and normal, some said auto and low. Literally every combination. Doesn't help when I don't even know what the shit means to decide for myself.

Top Bottom