• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
It couldn't have been handled much worse by Buffalo, but it should be pretty straightforward from here. He's done in the Q, so he's finally eligible to play in the AHL. Just got assigned to Rochester. You're right, though. Tons of uncertainty.
I could see him spending time in the AHL and then lighting it up in the NHL, but I could just as easily see him being stuck as a fringe player. He has all the tools, it's just a matter of whether he can translate it to the NHL level or not. I do hope he makes it, I like him as a player.

Along with the four towers on defense.

Myers-Ekblad
Zadorov-Risto

Buffalo pls
Seriously, this defense is ridiculous, Ristolanien is probably my favourite D prospect right now throughout the whole league.

At least all four of the Canuck's forwards are doing absolutely gangbusters in the OHL playoffs.

Fox, Horvat, Gaunce and Cassels are all in the top 10 playoff scoring race. There's going to be good depth going into Utica next season, maybe even a few might jump up into the Canucks roster.

Utica gets to look forward to Gaunce, Fox, Shinkaruk, McEneny and maybe even Hutton joining the team next season.

Assuming Kesler doesn't get traded, Canucks could ice a line-up like this next year:

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen
Burrows - Kesler - Kassian
Higgins - Matthias - Horvat
Santorelli - Richardson - Hansen

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Tanev
Garrison - Stanton

Lack
Markstrom

Also, Tortorella better fucking be gone after the summer.

Red_Man

jufvWSu.gif

When I suggested the Leafs get a #1 C, that's what I was implying. Draft one (potentially have a shit season next year in order to do it)
The problem for Toronto is there a middle of the pack team, they're not bad enough to draft in the top 3 right now, and management / fans won't accept an attempt at a rebuild. So you'll be stuck as a middling team for years until something drastic happens or management that actually has a pair comes in and does what he needs too. Or you can trade all your assets for Eric Staal and maybe get to the second round within the next 5 years and then rebuild.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
If the stories of him alienating several in the locker room are true - and I think they are - canning and his staff at least will at least improve morale. My worry is that by keeping him, it sends the message that he's still Nonis' first choice coach, and guys who would otherwise want to stay will ask to be moved.

That only makes sense if he is kept on as coach for next season. Canning him now doesn't really do anything with 7 games left in the season. I can only think of the Devils as the only team that has canned a head coach so late in the season and even then I don't think it was with 10 or less games in the season.

UFAs:
Bolland, Kulemin, McClement, Raymond, Bodie, Ranger

RFAs:
Franson, Gardiner, Reimer

We can't afford to keep Bolland and Kulemin. Reimer is most likely gone unless he has trouble finding a #1 job elsewhere. They really fucked up with Raymond. He's gonna want more money and he will probably get it at another club.

I feel we are going to be seeing a lot more of D'Amigo, Holland, and Ashton next year, simply out of necessity. I'm kind of struggling to see how we get a top D-man. Maybe trade Gunnar in a package but the cap will be the enemy.

IMO the key to improving our defence next season will be the forwards. The new coaching staff will have to beat some defensive responsibility into them, especially guys like Lupul, Kessel, and Kadri. Unless these guys step up, nothing will change.

How did they fuck up with Raymond?

He signed a ridiculously cheap 1 year prove it contract. If not with the Leafs it would have been with another team, no longer then 1 year.

jufvWSu.gif

The problem for Toronto is there a middle of the pack team, they're not bad enough to draft in the top 3 right now, and management / fans won't accept an attempt at a rebuild. So you'll be stuck as a middling team for years until something drastic happens or management that actually has a pair comes in and does what he needs too. Or you can trade all your assets for Eric Staal and maybe get to the second round within the next 5 years and then rebuild.

I think fans want to blow it up, but management doesn't D:

Red_Man

I think fans want to blow it up, but management doesn't D:
I think legitimate fans who pay attention to hockey want that, but it's hard for management to tell the biggest market in the league "See how we made the playoffs once in 8 years? Well we're going to try and miss them for the next 4-5 as well, but we're going to keep raising ticket prices, hope you don't mind!"

Samyy

Hes a wasted asset, couldn't convert him into anything, won't retain him.

I think legitimate fans who pay attention to hockey want that, but it's hard for management to tell the biggest market in the league "See how we made the playoffs once in 8 years? Well we're going to try and miss them for the next 4-5 as well, but we're going to keep raising ticket prices, hope you don't mind!"

Yea no the Toronto market won't like it one bit. This is the market that thinks Bozak is a legit #1, that Reimer is the devil, that crawl at the feet of people like Cox and Simmons and latch on to anything that makes the team seem better then they are.

zroid

Banned

He signed a ridiculously cheap 1 year prove it contract. If not with the Leafs it would have been with another team, no longer then 1 year.

What I meant was we could have used him next year. Now that's probably not happening for cap reasons. And we aren't getting anything else out of it either.

Red_Man

As long as Bernier is playing relatively well, It's hard to imagine them getting into the top 5. If they had an average goalie then it would be possible.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Yea no the Toronto market won't like it one bit. This is the market that thinks Bozak is a legit #1, that Reimer is the devil, that crawl at the feet of people like Cox and Simmons and latch on to anything that makes the team seem better then they are.

Hindsight is great eh?

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
jufvWSu.gif

YAY. This is probably what is going to happen.

Samyy

Speaking of the Marlies, Ashton now has 16 goals in 22 games :eek:
Percy and Granberg both +4
Leivo scored as well

The Kids!!!!

Samyy

Even Tyler Biggs scored!!!
McKegg has a goal & assist too.

They are winning their division, third overall in the conference. Not bad.
Im gonna try to go to some Marlies playoffs games, I'm assuming Rielly will be joining them soon after the Leafs season is over, he should own the AHL and will be a big boost for them.

yyzjohn

Banned
Even Tyler Biggs scored!!!
McKegg has a goal & assist too.

They are winning their division, third overall in the conference. Not bad.
Im gonna try to go to some Marlies playoffs games, I'm assuming Rielly will be joining them soon after the Leafs season is over, he should own the AHL and will be a big boost for them.

Marlies went to the Calder cup final a couple of years ago, that really translated into Leafs success. :-(

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Speaking of the Marlies, Ashton now has 16 goals in 22 games :eek:
Percy and Granberg both +4
Leivo scored as well

The Kids!!!!

The thing I'm really liking about this year's team as opposed to the last few years with Eakins is the Leafs smartly decided to fill the team with as many actual kids and not career AHLers (Zigomanis types) and play and develop them.

Them being so good this year to me means a lot more then even a few years back when they made the finals.

yyzjohn

Banned
The thing I'm really liking about this year's team as opposed to the last few years with Eakins is the Leafs smartly decided to fill the team with as many actual kids and not career AHLers (Zigomanis types) and play and develop them.

Them being so good this year to me means a lot more then even a few years back when they made the finals.

You and your audacity for hope crap.

Samyy

Yep, and theres two notable D additions in Matt Finn, and Tom Nilsson that they want to join the Marlies next year as well. Connor Brown will definitely make the jump, perhaps Gauthier as well.
Really excited about Nilsson, good-ol Tommy Bergmann pick, hard/borderline legal hitting, shoots right, defensive defensemen, playing well in the SHL.

THE LEAFS NEED TO LET BERGMANN PICK EVERYTHING!

Red_Man

This is a big point to keep in mind. AHL success doesn't automatically translate to NHL success or mean there are a lot of high quality of prospects. A lot of AHL teams win with AHL veterans, look at how well Washington's AHL team did for years.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

Everyone I know likes Reimer. Everytime I talk to Leafs fans about the team they always say how fucked up it is that Reimer gets the blame for their shit play.

I don't think Toronto has a shot at a top 10 pick next season either, but I couldn't imagine them having this losing streak right now either.

Samyy

Everyone I know likes Reimer. Everytime I talk to Leafs fans about the team they always say how fucked up it is that Reimer gets the blame for their shit play.

I don't think Toronto has a shot at a top 10 pick next season either, but I couldn't imagine them having this losing streak right now either.

Well maybe hfboards draws a particular type of crowd, I've had a mixed bag of opinions from people in know personally.
Toronto's success is contingent on Bernier/Reimer, if Bernier has an off-season they'll be bottom 10. Heck if his save % drops 5-10 points to around league average we could even be bottom 5!

Red_Man

One of my biggest concerns as a Leaf fan would be wasting Kessel's prime years on these middling seasons.

yyzjohn

Banned
I don't think the Leafs need to blow "everything" up. Again, I think one Top 5 pick is all it would take (that and 2-3 years for Rielly to develop).

Problem is getting that Top 5 pick, although selling off the secondary scoring this offseason (Raymond walking, trading Lupul) and making the Leafs even more of a one-line team might accomplish that.

Leafs have scoring talent, they need a coaching staff that can get players to buy into team defense. That means lower overall point totals for each player but should translate into a better team. I'd rather they commit all the way and win games 2-1 as opposed to the last few seasons of shit.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Well maybe hfboards draws a particular type of crowd, I've had a mixed bag of opinions from people in know personally.
Toronto's success is contingent on Bernier/Reimer, if Bernier has an off-season they'll be bottom 10. Heck if his save % drops 5-10 points to around league average we could even be bottom 5!

C'mon man. You already know the answer to this.

HFBoards think a kid is a bust if he's not in the NHL by age 21.

Samyy

Isn't Tyler Biggs projected like a 3rd/4th liner? Why the hell was he taken in the 1st round? Surely you can find those types of guys in lower rounds.

Truculence, Belligrence blah blah
I think they're hoping he develops like a Lucic or something IDK.

Spl1nter

Marlies went to the Calder cup final a couple of years ago, that really translated into Leafs success. :-(

That team had a stronger veteran presence but it did have Kadri, Gardiner, Scrivens which all moved up to the leafs. This marlies team is much more youth and prospect focused. D'Amigo, Holland, Ashton are all NHL quality players. They are doing well considering most of the team are 1st or 2nd year pros.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

If Carlyle is coaching them again maybe.

For some reason I listened to a Leafs call-in radio show while doing some chores today.

- Carlyle deserves at least another year. It's the same fans who loved him last year who are saying he needs to go now. It's so unfair! He simply needs more time.

- Phaneuf isn't a good captain because reasons.

- Lupul should be the captain because reasons.

- Carlyle doesn't get the respect he deserves from these players. Why are they ruining his system?

- Kadri is lazy and fans are sick of his lazy play. He is GOOD FOR NOTHING.

- Gardiner is useless and should be shown the door ASAP.

- Frahnson is a good guy; don't people watch games?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Now that you mention it, I have heard a lot of Kadri hate from Leafs fans for some reason. Doesn't play the white way I guess.

Samyy

For some reason I listened to a Leafs call-in radio show while doing some chores today.

- Carlyle deserves at least another year. It's the same fans who loved him last year who are saying he needs to go now. It's so unfair! He simply needs more time.

- Carlyle doesn't get the respect he deserves from these players. Why are they ruining his system?

Im willing to bet these are the same guys voting for Ford :p

Spl1nter

Lies, there is no chance people are supportive of Franson this season. While +/- is not the best stat it is pretty telling when Franson is the worst +/- on the team. Worse than a rookie in Rielly. Also Rielly has only 4 less points than Franson in less games with less ice time. I am completely done with Franson, he has been directly responsible for so many goals this season.

yyzjohn

Banned
Now that you mention it, I have heard a lot of Kadri hate from Leafs fans for some reason. Doesn't play the white way I guess.

I have this image of you walking around your house and randomly smashing things while muttering "fucking Leafs fuck this shit fucking Leafs fuck"

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

UGH.

The Franson lover was from Vaughan or something. He *really* hated Kadri.

I have this image of you walking around your house and randomly smashing things while muttering "fucking Leafs fuck this shit fucking Leafs fuck"

It was more depressing than enraging. We really do have the 3rd worst fans in the league (behind Montreal's and Vancouver's).

Red_Man

I wasn't aware of this, but this is from Mirtles latest article:

Since a luck driven 10-4 start to the season, the Leafs have actually been the sixth-worst team in the NHL , posting a better record than only Buffalo, Florida Edmonton, the Islanders, and Calgary.

Also according to a former Habs scout, Edmonton's owner overruled the management and scouting staff to take Yakupov 1st overall. I'm assuming the rest off management wanted Murray.

Top Bottom