• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Samyy

I wasn't aware of this, but this is from Mirtles latest article:

Also according to a former Habs scout, Edmonton's owner overruled the management and scouting staff to take Yakupov 1st overall. I'm assuming the rest off management wanted Murray.

I'm not shocked, at either of those things.
Murray would've been great for the Oilers, Yaks value is probably not the highest it could be right now either, will be interesting to see who they move for defence.

That Mirtle piece is scathing - and completely correct.

James Mirtle said:
Fixing what ails this franchise will not be easy. Doing it while in continued denial about its faults will be impossible.

There has been an unearned hubris around this group for a while, going back well before last season’s half season run, and it permeates the organization from the players to the staff, management and ownership.

There’s perhaps no better example of that than when MLSE president Tim Leiweke saw fit to give general manager Dave Nonis a five-year contract extension in July, months before any of the significant additions he made even hit the ice.

This was a move made mere weeks after the Leafs signed David Clarkson to a seven-year, $36.75-million (U.S.) deal that may well go down as one of the worst free agent signings ever.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm loving how much Mirtle is shoving this in Leafs management faces, especially after all the shit he's taken all year for his writing. There were a few Leaf fans posting here that continually railed on him too.

Samyy

I'm loving how much Mirtle is shoving this in Leafs management faces, especially after all the shit he's taken all year for his writing. There were a few Leaf fans posting here that continually railed on him too.

Since he was so hard bent on corsi and being so damn wrong that he has to grasp at some straws

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=103002317&postcount=1663

TIME TO EAT THA CROWS DOPEY!!!
I almost forgot I bookmarked that one.

Red_Man

Same....
too bad overtime I said anything dopey posted one of these:

DOPEY PLS!
1481.gif

That's amazing.

I didn't like the adv. stats stuff until about December.

For me it wasn't so much the stats themselves, it was the guys promoting their usage. Mirtle and McIndoe seem like decent guys (if Twitter is any guide), but the rest of them? I've followed/unfollowed the PPP and mc79hockey guys several times this year due to their frequent bouts of insufferable douchebaggery.

Red_Man

I didn't like the adv. stats stuff until about December.

For me it wasn't so much the stats themselves, it was the guys promoting their usage. Mirtle and McIndoe seem like decent guys (if Twitter is any guide), but the rest of them? I've followed/unfollowed the PPP and mc79hockey guys several times this year due to their frequent bouts of insufferable douchebaggery.
I know exactly what you mean, a large majority of advanced statistic bloggers are giant, arrogant and hugely condescending pricks. There's a couple guys who do adv. stats for the Habs and they're often times insufferable, and are a never ending rain of negativity. It's honestly taken out a bit of enjoyment for myself seeing as no matter what happens, they have a negative spin to add.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=103002317&postcount=1663

TIME TO EAT THA CROWS DOPEY!!!
I almost forgot I bookmarked that one.

Same....
too bad every time I said anything dopey posted one of these:

DOPEY PLS!

Excuuuuuuuuse me princess

Everything I have said is true so what crow am I eating?

What lines have been scoring during this streak? What lines have been fucking up? If we didn't have those bad defensive lapses - would we have lost? Leafs can handle the shots as long as they aren't high percentile shots and they keep players to the perimeter.

It's like blaming your lips for your toes not moving properly.

Fuck I even said the leafs were going to miss the playoffs in the first period of game 2 on this losing streak (when they were still up on both Tampa and Montreal) because they weren't playing their game and doing exactly what they were doing when they entered into the last one. Not driving the net with their PFs, not containing the play on the boards and doing haphazard shit. Has fuck all to do with corsi/Fenwick and everything to do with their compete level which kind of is an important basis for shot quality/attempt quality for and against. (Both on a one to one and cumulative basis).

And stop calling those stats advanced. They aren't advanced in any way and they are merely comparative and about as useful as us comparing gamerscore.

yyzjohn

Banned
Excuuuuuuuuse me princess

Everything I have said is true so what crow am I eating?

What lines have been scoring during this streak? What lines have been fucking up? If we didn't have those bad defensive lapses - would we have lost? Leafs can handle the shots as long as they aren't high percentile shots and they keep players to the perimeter.

It's like blaming your lips for your toes not moving properly.

Fuck I even said the leafs were going to miss the playoffs in the first period of game 2 on this losing streak (when they were still up on both Tampa and Montreal) because they weren't playing their game and doing exactly what they were doing when they entered into the last one. Not driving the net with their PFs, not containing the play on the boards and doing haphazard shit. Has fuck all to do with corsi/Fenwick and everything to do with their compete level which kind of is an important basis for shot quality/attempt quality for and against. (Both on a one to one and cumulative basis).

And stop calling those stats advanced. They aren't advanced in any way and they are merely comparative and about as useful as us comparing gamerscore.

Dopey is Damian Cox, confirmed.

Also according to a former Habs scout, Edmonton's owner overruled the management and scouting staff to take Yakupov 1st overall. I'm assuming the rest off management wanted Murray.

Would have fired myself right then and there.

zroid

Banned
The crazy thing about Carlyle is he's been saying since the beginning of the year that he wants the Leafs to be more possession-oriented. And yet, possession has become dramatically worse.

How can he be so goddamn incompetent?

Merguson

Banned
The crazy thing about Carlyle is he's been saying since the beginning of the year that he wants the Leafs to be more possession-oriented. And yet, possession has become dramatically worse.

Maybe the players just suck. This collapse isn't unusual for this core.

Not to mention the penalty kill. Gunnarsson, Phaneuf, McClement and Kulemin are the top guys. Since we signed Phaneuf to a long-term deal, why should we keep the other three guys? For being "defensively" aware players, they sure suck at it.

Cake Boss

Banned

They lost their 2 of their best puck possession players in Grabo and Liege.

I cant believe how much patience Liege has with the puck, hes so effecient with it, kinda reminds me a bit of alfie where he holds on to the puck as long as possible until there is something.

Spl1nter

They lost their 2 of their best puck possession players in Grabo and Liege.

I cant believe how much patience Liege has with the puck, hes so effecient with it, kinda reminds me a bit of alfie where he holds on to the puck as long as possible until there is something.

I hate everytime they are brought up, it hurts so much.

Samyy

Poulin "teams come in knowing we give up a lot of shots so they take a lot of shots"

This team is in the hand of fucking idiots isn't it...

Merguson

Banned
“I watched the last two games this weekend; I thought they played OK in those games, but right now they’ve got no puck luck. It’s like maybe they used up all their puck luck earlier in the season when they were getting outshot but still won games. You might say they had a lot of puck luck in those games and it’s dried up now. A lot of the players are squeezing their sticks right now, which tends to happens in these situations.”

Ron Wilson explanation to Leafs woes this season. Puck luck.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Would've been better trade down or for a lower pick plus a defenseman. Well, reap what you sow...
If Katz is meddling, there's not much anyone can do cause I'm not sure who else is willing to step up and bankroll the oil. Doesn't stop Mac from making trades though, so there's that.

Red_Man

Love how Dopey didn't back down from his hilariously off the mark criticism of Mirtle. Keep fighting the good fight man.

Once in 29 years? I feel like the Oilers have a 8 game losing streak once every year and a half.
There's always an exception to the rule. Oilers are the exception to every hockey rule.

Solo

Just read that Vanek has more points (11) in 12 games as a Hab than Clarkson does in a season as a Leaf.

lol

that signing
such value
such six years

Mark Streit has more points than Clarkson.

Edit: Heh, how deep does the rabbit hole go?

Peter Holland, Dave Bolland, Paul Ranger and Troy Bodie all have as many or more points than Clarkson. And they've all played anywhere from 6 to 24 fewer games and all have lower TOI.

zroid

Banned
Mark Streit has more points than Clarkson.

Edit: Heh, how deep does the rabbit hole go?

Peter Holland, Dave Bolland, Paul Ranger and Troy Bodie all have as many or more points than Clarkson. And they've all played anywhere from 6 to 24 fewer games and all have lower TOI.

Surely they're paid way more than Clarkson though, right?

Top Bottom