• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

Solo

The Leafs could have been swept at the season would have been a massive success. You guys are stuck with Julien for five years.

5WsDzwV.jpg

Uhhhh being "stuck" with Julien is a good thing.

What's disastrous though is being stuck with our GM and our roster.

I'm on the bask train now. Let's trade Price, Patches, not resign Rads or Markov, and tear this thing down. Naturally that won't happen though. Price will be richer than god and the rhetoric will be "we think we are close, we just need a few minor tweaks, look at how close all the games were". Ugh. Kill me. Contemplating not watching until Bergevin is removed.

imBask

Banned
idk man everyone's talking about trading Price this morning...and i'm not necessarly talking about a full rebuild mode, i'm just saying it's now or never if you want to get the highest value AND not fuck yourself in a corner

the rebuild mode will come naturally, there's no need to rush it. Our farm system is empty and full of busts, that won't change. Timmins fucked up for 9 years, that'll destroy your future

The bad :
McCarron, Beaulieu, Scherbak, Lernout, De La Rose, Fucale, Andrighetto, Collberg, Bozon, Tinordi, Leblanc, Kristo and maybe Galchenyuk

The good:
maybe Lekhonen, maybe Galchenyuk, maybe Sergachev, maybe Juulsen

i'm saying maybe on Sergachev and Juulsen because the odds are stacked against them. I'm fucking sick of hearing how great THIIIIS one is going to be and how he isn't like the previous one, if I was a betting man i'd bet they both bust

bigJP

idk man everyone's talking about trading Price this morning...and i'm not necessarly talking about a full rebuild mode, i'm just saying it's now or never if you want to get the highest value AND not fuck yourself in a corner

the rebuild mode will come naturally, there's no need to rush it. Our farm system is empty and full of busts, that won't change. Timmins fucked up for 9 years, that'll destroy your future

The bads :
McCarron, Beaulieu, Scherbak, Lernout, De La Rose, Fucale, Andrighetto, Collberg, Bozon, Tinordi, Leblanc, Kristo and maybe Galchenyuk

The good:
maybe Lekhonen, maybe Galchenyuk, maybe Sergachev, maybe Juulsen

i'm saying maybe on Sergachev and Juulsen because the odds are stacked against them. I'm fucking sick of hearing how great THIIIIS one is going to be and how he isn't like the previous one, if I was a betting man i'd bet they both bust

ive given up on our scouting staff. tinordi was supposed to be the next best thing, mccarron our power forward, fucale our price replacement, de la rose???
we keep getting grinders (either draft or sign) and wonder why we cant score.

Marvie_3

Banned
I've bought 3 jerseys from them and it's been the best service I've had regarding online retail, and they're all properly stitched. The nicest jerseys I own
But you also mentioned the Habs at one point being the best team since 93. How do I know I can trust your opinion? 😕😕😕😕😕

Mentok

Banned
If they trade Price, they've gone into full rebuild mode. Period. At that point they may as well trade Weber, Patches, AGally, hell practically the entire roster. Even BGally. Why not right? Get top value, etc, etc.

Solo

If they trade Price, they've gone into full rebuild mode. Period. At that point they may as well trade Weber, Patches, AGally, hell practically the entire roster. Even BGally. Why not right? Get top value, etc, etc.

Not necessarily. Look at recent Cup winners. Say the past decade or so. I'd argue that the only team who had arguably the best goalie in the world at that time they won the Cup is Tim Thomas on Boston in 2011. The rest of the teams didn't have bad goalies, but mostly serviceable ones. MAF, Niemi, Crawford....these are all you need as far as calibre as long as the team in front of them is good.

Montreal has gone the opposite way for many years to disastrous (0 Cups) results. We tend to have an all world goalie who has to be almost flawless in order to win because our defense and offense suck. If Price is going to cost what we all know he is going to, then, in a salary cap world I too would rather trade him, use that cap hit to build a team that is also good defensively and offensively, and give the reigns to someone like Lindgren.

Like, if you told me we could either ice the exact same team in 2018, or ice a team that has no Price but has a Tavares....yeah, I'm taking the Tavares option.

Cactus

Banned
The Habs will never win the cup with Patches as captain. I think he should be the first to go.

Then trade Galchenyuk and Sergachev for Duchene. Trade Beaulieu for a bag of pucks.

Give Weber the C, lock up Price, Radulov, and Benn to long-term contracts. Sign a few depth players to fill out the lineup, and let Markov walk.

If Bergevin manages to pull this off, I think he deserves to stay.

Byron - Danault - Radulov
Parenteau - Duchene - Mitchell
Desharnais - Plekanec - Gallagher
Flynn - McCarron - Lehkonen

Weber - Benn
Petry - Nesterov
Hunwick - Davidson

The trade won't be that stupid, but it will be pretty fucking stupid. Probably AGally for the Blackhawks spare parts.
Let's look at the list

Who do you we trade Galchenyuk for?

I have some options we can look at

Buffalo: Sam Reinhart

Washington: Evgeny Kuznetsov

Columbus: Alexander Wennberg

Islanders: Anthony Beauvillier,Ryan Strome

Flyers: Sean Couturier, Travis Konecny

Carolina: Victor Rask

St Louis: Robbi Fabbri

Dallas:Radek Faksa, Tyler Seguin

Anaheim: Ricky Rakell

Edmonton: RNH, Leon Draisaitl

San Jose: Logan Couture, Tomas Hertl

Calgary: Sam Bennett, Sean Monahan

Los Angeles: Tanner Pearson, Tyler Toffoli

Aroooizona: Max Domi, Christian Dvorak

Colorado: Matt Duchene, Gabriel Landeskog

Now Personally I only like a few of them

Sean Couturier, Max Domi and RNH are my Top ones

imBask

Banned
25stanley has an article up with a picture of Price, Weber, Benn and Beaulieu having a beer together yesterday

his angle : Pacioretty wasn't there HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

lmao

Curufinwe

The real question is whether or not Lupul, Horton and Robidas will get out of Robidas Island!

*Gilligan's Island theme plays*

Robidas surely won't get an extension, but then again it's the same GM who gave $24,2500,000 to Ryane Clowe after he had an awful 12-13 season and suffered multiple concussions.

imBask

Banned
any goalie available that is MORE canadian than Price? Price has some native origins so he's not aryan good enough for Bergevin anyway

Cactus

Banned
Back in the off-season thread where I belong. Time to look at the draft...

Really, really want the Leafs to draft Kristian Vesalainen.

imBask

Banned
posted it in the wrong thread so here's the copy paste :

Galchenyuk is SOOOOOOOOOOO gone

"do you think the team used you in a position to get the best out of you?"
*dodges question once*
"... next question"

just happened

Solo

:_(

RIP, my sweet fierce prince

Wouldn't be surprised if he wants out after 5 years of being dicked around. I wonder if someone would offersheet him, or if it'll just be a trade.

Parch

Not necessarily. Look at recent Cup winners. Say the past decade or so. I'd argue that the only team who had arguably the best goalie in the world at that time they won the Cup is Tim Thomas on Boston in 2011. The rest of the teams didn't have bad goalies, but mostly serviceable ones. MAF, Niemi, Crawford....these are all you need as far as calibre as long as the team in front of them is good.
This is true. Goaltending is important but not essential in the playoffs.

I've never liked the strategy of having the goaltender be one of your highest paid players. Price is awesome when he's not trying to get his coached fired and can definitely be considered one of the best in the world, but it's going to take a hefty contract to keep him and that's not always the best strategy in the cap era.

Cactus

Banned
What's the story on this boyo. He seems to have played all of 9 games this year.

He played 26 games in the top Swedish league, and 9 in Finland. He's a big, skilled power forward, and a pretty good skater. The knock on him (and the reason why he's fallen in the draft rankings) is that he has had trouble putting up points since graduating to the top men's leagues in Sweden/Finland.

Potential is there, and I'd rather draft a boom-or-bust type guy at #18 over a safer pick that tops out as a depth player.

Cake Boss

Banned
You gotta fill us in mang

TSN690 fams

The lines are open with Tony.

Some guy just went on a rant about Bettman pulling a fast one and then went into how the old school hockey players use to have 2 jobs but now these young players come in with a $750K salaries.

The problem with trading Price is he's the only reason the Habs get as far as they do with the way they build their teams. Unless there's a serious culture change - which I say there isn't since they signed Julien to a five-year contract and those stupid trade deadline deals - their plan is to keep trying to win 1-0 or 2-1 every night and for that they need Price.

Cake Boss

Banned
The problem with trading Price is he's the only reason the Habs get as far as they do with the way they build their teams. Unless there's a serious culture change - which I say there isn't since they signed Julien to a five-year contract and those stupid trade deadline deals - their plan is to keep trying to win 1-0 or 2-1 every night and for that they need Price.

Except Julien coached teams have finished in goals for than most teams for the past 7 years, so you don't know what the hell you talking about with this whole Julien is a shit coach shtick, coming from the same guy thats bouncing on Babcock's cock shaft at every chance he gets, and thinks that Babpenis is the only decent coach in the league.

Goals scored the past 5 years.

aavTpFj.png

Oh and the whole Boucher system gives no offense bullshit you keep trolling with, let me see here.

His 3 year tenure with Tampa, oh look at the #7 in goal scoring.

rB3MCPM.png

Stick to HFboards with Dopey

Parch

Long term contracts for goaltenders are risky. Throughout history teams have been burned by giving goalies big money long term. Price has earned it and will get paid, but man, there's no guarantee he'll remain elite.

They're just so unpredictable from year to year. Turning mediocre after a few vezina level years is not uncommon. Skaters can crash and burn too but they're a lot more reliable to at least come close to the previous year's performance.

Look at Bishop. He was considered one of best goaltenders at the start of the season and he ends up being a backup. My fantasy team paid the price for that high pick.

ZeroGravity

Look at Bishop. He was considered one of best goaltenders at the start of the season and he ends up being a backup. My fantasy team paid the price for that high pick.
To be fair there was no trade market for goalies this year and Tampa HAD to trade him. LA was the only team that would take him. He'll get a pretty good contract somewhere this offseason.

Long term contracts for goaltenders are risky. Throughout history teams have been burned by giving goalies big money long term. Price has earned it and will get paid, but man, there's no guarantee he'll remain elite.

They're just so unpredictable from year to year. Turning mediocre after a few vezina level years is not uncommon. Skaters can crash and burn too but they're a lot more reliable to at least come close to the previous year's performance.

rick-dipietro-2013-52.jpg

Top Bottom