• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

The cap isn't to blame, bullshit claims of working towards parity is. This league couldn't be less interested in parity and the reason for that is because most teams aren't in favorable markets for hockey. It's basically impossible to achieve parity unless by some magic every team has a marketplace equally invested in the sport. So instead we have Bettman striving for parity ie: making teams look sort of close in competitive ability, but only when you factor in loser points. Then there are instances like with that whole offside rule that curiously doesn't seem to apply to high market teams like the Rickago Ackblox, at least not when matched up against a team that couldn't make it out of the basement if you gave them a team full of McDavids. And last but not least, screwing the four worst teams in the league BY FAR out of the top picks of a draft because maybe some shitty franchises abused the system a little bit, so lets just screw the whole thing up and when shit like this happens we'll just call it a fluke.

But parity tho.

PillarEN

I'm trying to think. Since the cap was implemented which team has been the absolute worst?

I'm thinking Winnipeg Jets. Followed closely by the Columbus Blue Jackets who are lucky that they made the playoffs this year otherwise it would have been a tighter race. 3rd worst altogether is probably the Isles. I don't care about points. I also care about the amount of playoff appearances and more importantly winning at least a series or making one deep run.
Oh wait since the Leafs were so good this season (relatively speaking) I almost forgot how utterly shit they were for the last 10 years.

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member
I'm trying to think. Since the cap was implemented which team has been the absolute worst?

I'm thinking Winnipeg Jets. Followed closely by the Columbus Blue Jackets who are lucky that they made the playoffs this year otherwise it would have been a tighter race. 3rd worst altogether is probably the Isles. I don't care about points. I also care about the amount of playoff appearances and more importantly winning at least a series or making one deep run.
Oh wait since the Leafs were so good this season (relatively speaking) I almost forgot how utterly shit they were for the last 10 years.

To be fair to the Jets, they're still feeling the after effects of a disastrous ownership back in their days in Atlanta. The Atlanta Spirit Group did absolutely shit all during internal squabbling that the Thrashers (as well as the Hawks) pretty much languished in the basement outside that lucky playoff run in 2007 (in which they got their asses handed to them by the Rangers). They were such a miserable mess that the Jets are STILL feeling that mess even today, although some of their more questionable moves since moving there certainly hasn't helped them.

Solo

Habs only qualified 4 of their 12 RFAS lol (AGally, DLR, Lindgren, Friberg).

I guess that's one way to dump a pile of garbage haha

Habs only qualified 4 of their 12 RFAS lol (AGally, DLR, Lindgren, Friberg).

I guess that's one way to dump a pile of garbage haha

Friberg is not coming back to North America, he's going back to frölunda. We're just going to
Hold his rights probably. So technically it's 3 not 4 RFAs lol

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
@LeafsPR

The #Leafs have extended qualifying offers to 4 players: G Garret Sparks, D Justin Holl and forwards Connor Brown and Zach Hyman. #TMLtalk

guess the leafs changed their mind on announcing QOs

better than last year where we learned them in something like late july

Yawnier

Banned
@LeafsPR

The #Leafs have extended qualifying offers to 4 players: G Garret Sparks, D Justin Holl and forwards Connor Brown and Zach Hyman. #TMLtalk

More or less what I expected.

This leaves the leafs with 41/50 contracts for next season, gives them plenty of room to give an ELC to Brooks and whoever else.

zroid

Banned
I heard Friedge say on PTS that the reason Hjalmarsson OK'd a trade to Arizona is because he and OEL are buddies, and OEL was lobbying him

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Marek Mazanec must have looked good in Milwaukee for the Preds to give him a qualifying offer, because boy did he look worthless in Nashville.

Juuse Saros stealing the backup job from him was secretly one of the best things to happen this season.

Mentok

Banned
Am I crazy for thinking TSN690 had some valid reasons for the Habs to persue Joltin' Joe Thornton? Their reasons were twofold (1) 1C playmaker right now, (2) someone who can help mentor AGally properly into a C.

Marvie_3

Banned
The cap isn't to blame, bullshit claims of working towards parity is. This league couldn't be less interested in parity and the reason for that is because most teams aren't in favorable markets for hockey. It's basically impossible to achieve parity unless by some magic every team has a marketplace equally invested in the sport. So instead we have Bettman striving for parity ie: making teams look sort of close in competitive ability, but only when you factor in loser points. Then there are instances like with that whole offside rule that curiously doesn't seem to apply to high market teams like the Rickago Ackblox, at least not when matched up against a team that couldn't make it out of the basement if you gave them a team full of McDavids. And last but not least, screwing the four worst teams in the league BY FAR out of the top picks of a draft because maybe some shitty franchises abused the system a little bit, so lets just screw the whole thing up and when shit like this happens we'll just call it a fluke.

But parity tho.
This post is just looool.

You think Chicago gets every call? Go actually watch their games instead of pissing your pants about it. Theyre always getting screwed on offside plays and goalie interference. Just look at the playoffs.

And its good that the top pick isnt guaranteed to the last place team. Teams tanking is embarrassing. Automatically giving the last place team #1 is like giving the kid in the group project who does no work an A. Fuck that shit.

You could have saved time writing this and just said "my team's front office is shit and cant figure out how to win when we cant trade for all the good players like before the salary cap"
Just wait until Forsberg has to play.
If it means hockey is back im all for it.

zroid

Banned
Habs reportedly interested in Alzner?

Ugh

Kris Russell part deux

Am I crazy for thinking TSN690 had some valid reasons for the Habs to persue Joltin' Joe Thornton? Their reasons were twofold (1) 1C playmaker right now, (2) someone who can help mentor AGally properly into a C.

I can't think of a single reason anyone wouldn't sign Jumbo, unless he demands a 3+ year contract?

These jerseys don't look too bad. I'm glad the apron stripes are gone.
19437602_10155694862322345_7487856854300857469_n.jpg

Now our team can look good while playing badly. 😭

@LeafsPR

Maybe Justin can surprise everyone and fill the Holl on right D for the Leafs this year.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Methot has been carried by Karlsson for years. whatever they paid I'm sure it was too much

@DarrenDreger

Methot to Dallas for 2nd in 2020 and Ferguson, goalie the Stars just drafted from Kamloops

poor ferguson lol (he was a 7th rounder)

The apron stripes should have been gone long ago. What a terrible idea.

They seemed very headstrong about changing them too, I think they genuinely believed there were fans out there who liked them. I would have preferred a more modern twist while retaining the mountain borders on the bottom, but there are fine.

I can't wait to see Duchene suck shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit in these

This is very likely, I really can't see the players improving under Bednar, whether he's capable or not he's already lost the Avs locker room.

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member
@DarrenDreger

Methot to Dallas for 2nd in 2020 and Ferguson, goalie the Stars just drafted from Kamloops

poor ferguson lol (he was a 7th rounder)

That's it? LOL Vegas, already taking a page from the Sens of the early 90's.

The real concern on how badly Methot's play declines without Karlsson.

Cake Boss

Banned
Lol that's all it took to get Methot? I can sense the SNES fans anger a mile away who love their "veteran leaders".

Like zroid said, the guy has been carried by Karlsson for years, and while he doesn't hurt Karlsson too much, an improvement from within can be had with either Cleasson or Chabot. Plus he frees up $5M in salary.

Top Bottom