• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

So the Oilers are basically gutting any flexibility with the salary cap and being able to acquire decent bottom line cores liners while potentially losing Driaisaitl in the process to give a stupid huge contract to a player that is quite frankly worth 10 million per year at the very most.

GM of the year everyone. Hail the man that traded the first and second overall picks of the 2009 draft for what are essentially pennies. Hail him!
EWmof.gif

Even if this ends up being false this just reinforces that the management of this team remains infuriating to see.

If BargainBin had half a brain and some guts he'd have done it already. But nope, this is the kumbaya, let's all be friends and play it safe, no fun allowed league.

Draisatl-AGally-Danualt-Pleks? Now there's a centre lineup I could fuck with.

Wouldn't the Habs have to compensate the Oilers with like 4 first rounders though?

Chris R

Avs should just embrace that they're going to struggle, go with a young lineup and cut away the fat.

Landeskog-MacKinnon-___
Rantanen-Duchene-Jost
Andrighetto-Soderberg-Nieto

Zadorov-Johnson
Barrie-Bigras
Barberio-Weircoich
Butcher
A man can dream

Varlamov

Get rid of Comeau, Mitchell, and fill in with FA signings.

Don't resign Tyutin and I agree with all of this

yyzjohn

Banned
So the Oilers are basically gutting any flexibility with the salary cap and being able to acquire decent bottom line cores liners while potentially losing Driaisaitl in the process to give a stupid huge contract to a player that is quite frankly worth 10 million per year at the very most.

GM of the year everyone. Hail the man that traded the first and second overall picks of the 2009 draft for what are essentially pennies. Hail him!
EWmof.gif

Even if this ends up being false this just reinforces that the management of this team remains infuriating to see.

How do you figure that McDavid is only worth $10M at the very most?

Solo

Wouldn't the Habs have to compensate the Oilers with like 4 first rounders though?

Yes. But really, based on our drafting and usual draft position.....I'm okay with that. To get a 21 year old #1 centre who was 5th in scoring in the NHL among centres locked up through his prime?

Hell yes. Where do I sign?

Holiday

Banned
Everyone should offer sheet Draisaitl, no one will. Can't risk violating that old boy's code, otherwise people might not trade you their UFA middle-six wingers at the deadline.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Dadonov's agent says it is down to NYR, FLA, and MON.

First I've heard of NYR being in on him. Doesn't really seem to fit a need we have right now. Hopefully that's more just his agent trying to leverage more money out of FLA/MTL by floating the idea that an NYR team swimming in cash right now might be after him.

Solo

Isn't Edmonton kinda fucked now anyway? RE: Draisaitl. I mean, let's say his progression continues as it has so far. Dude is gonna want pretty close to McDavid money. Not as much, but close. Are the Oil prepared to potentially have $25M tied up in 2 guys? What if the cap is flat, or only increases marginally?

zroid

Banned
The idea is that you have a good-great team for at least those four years, and only give up a couple of 25-31 overall picks, and who gives a shit about those?
true if you're a playoff team and you're getting a really good player the four 1sts are a small price to pay.

How do you figure that McDavid is only worth $10M at the very most?

I think a better question is how do the Oilers figure McDavid is worth $13.25M? He may be a franchise player but he is not the modern Gretzky and signing him for that much will only hurt the Oilers in the long run.

zroid

Banned
I think a better question is how do the Oilers figure McDavid is worth $13.25M? He may be a franchise player but he is not the modern Gretzky and signing him for that much will only hurt the Oilers in the long run.
I think you're wrong man, mcDavid is easily worth $13M or more. if his salary is hurting the team's chances then it's not his contract to blame, it's all the other ones *cough* (Lucic) *cough* (Russell)

Avs should just embrace that they're going to struggle, go with a young lineup and cut away the fat.

Landeskog-MacKinnon-___
Rantanen-Duchene-Jost
Andrighetto-Soderberg-Nieto

Zadorov-Johnson
Barrie-Bigras
Barberio-Mironov

Varlamov

Get rid of Comeau, Mitchell, and fill in with FA signings.

We didn't QO Weircioch so I fixed it for you.

yyzjohn

Banned

It's simple economics and what other top players have signed for and what the % of their team's cap hit was at the time. They're estimating his cap hit will be 17% of the total cap which is in line with what other top players got when their deals were up. Nothing stops the salary increase train.

Also, wtf is the modern Gretzky? McDavid is the best player in the league and he's not yet 21 years old. He is actually the NHL's Gretzky for this era even if his career stats will never live up to Gretzky. If he's the best player in the game, he deserves to be paid as such. You can't base salaries off what historical players have done.

Karlsson -- hmm are you as good as Bobby Orr? Sorry son, you don't deserve this much money.

yyzjohn

Banned
Disappointing ECF loss, but Marner leads league in post season scoring by so much he almost gets Conn Smythe votes just for maximum Leafs cap sweating.

I'll take a glorious Cup win with Matthews, Marner and Nylander 1-2-3 in Conn Smythe voting and let the cap hell be damned after that.

calder

I had just talked myself into the Jets pursuing Kulikov a bit to see if he'd work as a bottom pair reclamation project and suddenly it seems like half the fucking league is interested in him. The thirst for D is real.

Silexx

The contract is back-loaded and if I were to guess, I think Dorion believes that he can trade that contract down the road if ever he needs to unload some cash.

calder

When I said I was interested in Elliott because he didn't have a high bar to clear... I wasn't joking.

Garret Hohl‏ @GarretHohl 39m39 minutes ago
#NHLJets been linked to Elliott & Mason.
Small samples in a season & it was a rough year for the Jets, but here is last season performance:

DDbTYb0UAAQyCsA.jpg:large

calder

Which website you get those deets calder?

That Garrett Hohl dude does his own stats and analysis but I'm not sure if expected save percentage is easily available online or not. The guy at behindthenet.ca used to release all of them after the season but I don't think it's on his site.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
4 x 4.35m for Brendan Smith

A little on the high side money-wise, would have liked to see him squeezed under 4m, but it's better than almost every other alternative on the market right now.

Assuming Kevin Klein retires, that would leave the Rangers with about $19m of cap space to sign Zibanejad and Fast, a backup goaltender, and maybe do something about our center depth.

Cactus

Banned
Lol, the Leafs are being connected with every major free agent and "trade bait" player. This is what happens when the insiders and rumor mongers can't get any legitimate leaks from the management team.

Socreges

Banned
Lol, the Leafs are being connected with every major free agent and "trade bait" player. This is what happens when the insiders and rumor mongers can't get any legitimate leaks from the management team.
This is what happens either way. Was no different with Nonis and Dreger.

Lmao at that Condon contract

He's really proven himself that much?

I'm guessing they're isn't anyone better available.
Hamburglar sucks/injured and they don't trust him.
O'Connor is a bust

We got no one to replace Anderson in the future now(oh the days we had too many goalies).

Merguson

Banned
I guess it's in their best interest to link the Leafs with as many players as possible, but this one seems more nonsensical than usual.

they saw the blueline that helped the Penguins won the cup and decided fuck it we're scoring at will?

duchene, marleau, thornton to leafs, score all the goals

Top Bottom