• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

calder

I have faith in Toronto. *bleh*

DJeBmRAXoAAltes.jpg:medium

"It was a tough year, missing the playoffs by 10 points like that. And moving down 3 spots in the draft lottery sucked too. But the summer has been great and we are really looking forward to the start of the 2018 season to hopefully get back on track."

Solo

All 3 Eastern canadian teams miss the playoffs.

watch you little fuckers.

I don't know if I'll go that far, but I will offer this hot take: Habs miss the playoffs.

Not sure why you think this is remotely possible, this team has finished with 100+ points 3 out of the last 4 seasons with the worst coach in the league. He just got the teams first legit french star player in how long? Molson must be loving this, doubt he really cares if they can't get to a final. The only way he would get the boot is if they missed the playoffs, which seems pretty unlikely.

Because
A) the team inexplicably got worse this off-season
B) 5 years on the job and still no #1C
C) none of those teams of the past 4 years were even 80 point teams without Price
D) 5 years on the job and still no #1C
E) this is the year they will finally miss the playoffs without a "bubububu Carey was hurt!" excuse
F) 5 years on the job and still no #1C

Foggy

DJeBmRAXoAAltes.jpg:medium

"It was a tough year, missing the playoffs by 10 points like that. And moving down 3 spots in the draft lottery sucked too. But the summer has been great and we are really looking forward to the start of the 2018 season to hopefully get back on track."

Robo-Matthews runs like a dream

Solo

It's a fucking sad state of affairs when the Leafs future is much, much brighter than the Habs'. And I'm talking tangible, measurable kind of brighter and not even the Dopey dumpster fire of delusion kind.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Player's Tribune article by the Sedins, to the city of Vancouver

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/daniel-and-henrik-sedin-dear-vancouver/amp/

"Henrik

It was just some people acting stupid. What people don't understand, and what I want them to understand, is how supportive everyone was to us in the weeks after the Finals. It was such a roller coaster ride that month. I was just exhausted. Mentally, physically, I didn't have anything left. It's the hardest trophy in the world to win and when you're that close ... ”hurts" isn't the right word. It's beyond that. But we still had to take our kids to school. We had to go out into the world. And everyone we met was really supportive. Not a single person said a bad word to me. Just support, support, support. We will never forget that."

it's dusty in here boys

'When we came back, we could see our work paying off. We also found a linemate who let us play our game in Anson Carter. Everything clicked for us because of Anson. He's probably why we're still here at 36 years old.'

now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time

"Bo Horvat has grabbed onto that quickly. It's a little unusual, because he's a young guy, but he's already a leader. We don't have to do much when somebody isn't doing the right thing because we know Bo will get on them. He's in first everyday, and out last. You can see in him that desire to improve everyone around him — you can't teach that."

BROVAT

Alucard

Banned
It's a fucking sad state of affairs when the Leafs future is much, much brighter than the Habs'. And I'm talking tangible, measurable kind of brighter and not even the Dopey dumpster fire of delusion kind.

You got a legit "Ha!" out of me with "Dopey dumpster fire of delusion."

"Bo Horvat has grabbed onto that quickly. It’s a little unusual, because he’s a young guy, but he’s already a leader. We don’t have to do much when somebody isn’t doing the right thing because we know Bo will get on them. He’s in first everyday, and out last. You can see in him that desire to improve everyone around him — you can’t teach that."

BROVAT

That's why he's making $5.5M for the next 6 years.

PillarEN

This little shit:

Code:
[IMG]https://koofle.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/aria_maakun_ep10_01_1600x1200.jpg[/IMG]

Always bites this poor guy right in the gut:

Code:
[IMG]https://31.media.tumblr.com/349fad3171f2b70f53af08316919fac6/tumblr_n060x9Y3831src1c6o1_500.gif[/IMG]

people wouldnt stop spamming that aria kickstarter on twitter. So I backed it because eh why not. Second kickstarter Ive ever backed...this shit better be good

imBask

Banned
Soc you better save those posts because we all know Red and Parch are going to be lifelong leafs fans as soon as they win the cup

yyzjohn

Banned
Cripes

I enjoyed the lack of expectations last season

All this optimism bothers me. I mean the Leafs are improved, but I'm not exactly pegging them as contenders yet. They have to show me they can make the playoffs again and win a round or 2 before I raise my expectations. Remember this is a team everyone thought would be in the lottery again at the start of last season. How the hell did we get to this point so fast?

yyzjohn

Banned
I know it's Simmons, but what are people expecting here? This is what newspaper columnists do. They're the original hot-take artists.

It's not just Simmons though, you look around and see all the predictions and everyone is expecting Leafs to be better than last season. I'm not so sure that it's gonna happen. Only guy I heard that thinks Leafs will be worse is Colton Orr who was interviewed this morning on Landsberg. All it takes is some regression from the young guys, or a key injury here or there and the Leafs are toast.

calder

John Shannon @JSportsnet
Big day in Seattle.MOU between Oak View Group and City for $600+ million reno of Key Arena.

Let the NHL expansion/relocation rumours begin!

I have a meeting to prep for, can someone else make the Auston Matthews signs with his childhood Seattle Coyotes joke in 2021 for me?

It's not just Simmons though, you look around and see all the predictions and everyone is expecting Leafs to be better than last season. I'm not so sure that it's gonna happen. Only guy I heard that thinks Leafs will be worse is Colton Orr who was interviewed this morning on Landsberg. All it takes is some regression from the young guys, or a key injury here or there and the Leafs are toast.

All true. But that's the kind of thing you read in SI, The Athletic etc - not the opinion pages of The Toronto Sun.

edit: Oh, sorry. I was reading on the bus and didn't really respond to what you posted!

Thinking the Leafs will be better, or as good, isn't really a controversial opinion. They've upgraded the team - at least marginally; even with some regression, I think they'll do OK. If Matthews gets knocked out, that will change, but that applies to every team. Very few rosters are deep enough to handle a long term injury to a key player.

PillarEN

I learned my lesson :'-(

I skimmed your post history. Didn't actually click on the posts so just saw like the first two sentences. You weren't wrong. I mean attacking someones looks is a low blow. But if said person doesn't have the GAF seal of approval and is a man then it's open season. And I don't necessarily mind it, but you're right that attacking the persons points or stances is what an argument is all about. I wouldn't get far convincing someone that person X is good or bad based on "his skin is flopping and he's a geezer". Cause that can be true for some amazing person and that can be also true for Bannon.

imBask

Banned
I skimmed your post history. Didn't actually click on the posts so just saw like the first two sentences. You weren't wrong. I mean attacking someones looks is a low blow. But if said person doesn't have the GAF seal of approval and is a man then it's open season. And I don't necessarily mind it, but you're right that attacking the persons points or stances is what an argument is all about. I wouldn't get far convincing someone that person X is good or bad based on "his skin is flopping and he's a geezer". Cause that can be true for some amazing person and that can be also true for Bannon.

is laughing at Matthews nose fair game?

Socreges

Banned
I am so hyped for Metroid. Had been skeptical (didn't preorder or anything) but these reviews give me total confidence.

Soc you better save those posts because we all know Red and Parch are going to be lifelong leafs fans as soon as they win the cup
Which?

Top Bottom