• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

zroid

Banned
ugFo6WVpTYCUica5sq2cng.png

LOOOL

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
oh shit

lupul is about to set a fire

"I'm ready... just awaiting the call.."
"Haha failed physical? They cheat, everyone lets them"

on his instragram

imBask

Banned
oh shit

lupul is about to set a fire

"I'm ready... just awaiting the call.."
"Haha failed physical? They cheat, everyone lets them"

on his instragram

744E3r4.png

I still expect you to defend Lou saying there's no reason to cheat and "Lupul is just salty"

more like Joffrey Loophole amirite

I find it surprising that there is really nothing Lupul can do if the Leafs are screwing him that badly. Can he not get a physical from a third party to confirm he's healthy?

Cactus

Banned
I find it surprising that there is really nothing Lupul can do if the Leafs are screwing him that badly. Can he not get a physical from a third party to confirm he's healthy?
I'm sure he can. If he was really serious about this, couldn't the NHLPA file a grievance? Kind of a weird situation.

DopeyFish

It's a dumb thing but all that he'd gain from this is really just annoying the Leafs and earning a spot on the Solar Bears.

Leafs didn't need to use LTIR on Lupul last season so they're just eating the cap and salary. They're not really seeing any advantage outside of a roster spot. (which outside of this offseason, they haven't been hitting 50 players) NHLPA is less likely to care about this because they are opening up a spot for another player while paying the player his full contract and not buying him out. NHL likely isn't going to care because there's no competitive advantage outside of a direct replacement to Lupul while still fitting under the constraints of the cap. The Leafs didn't exercise any additional buyouts due to 2 players being on IR.

NHL and NHLPA probably don't mind the grey area unless there's bad abuse and there really hasn't been any outside of the sit down and shut up and take your money part.

Nobody wants that contract, Leafs don't want him to play. Lupul probably wants the most money and to play in an actual pro league like anyone else... so in the big swing of things, it's probably in his best interest to just accept his fate.

yyzjohn

Banned
It's a dumb thing but all that he'd gain from this is really just annoying the Leafs and earning a spot on the Solar Bears.

Leafs didn't need to use LTIR on Lupul last season so they're just eating the cap and salary. They're not really seeing any advantage outside of a roster spot. (which outside of this offseason, they haven't been hitting 50 players) NHLPA is less likely to care about this because they are opening up a spot for another player while paying the player his full contract and not buying him out. NHL likely isn't going to care because there's no competitive advantage outside of a direct replacement to Lupul while still fitting under the constraints of the cap. The Leafs didn't exercise any additional buyouts due to 2 players being on IR.

NHL and NHLPA probably don't mind the grey area unless there's bad abuse and there really hasn't been any outside of the sit down and shut up and take your money part.

Nobody wants that contract, Leafs don't want him to play. Lupul probably wants the most money and to play in an actual pro league like anyone else... so in the big swing of things, it's probably in his best interest to just accept his fate.

Amen.

On the one hand, Lou will do anything he thinks he can get away with, until the league tells him to stop.

On the other, Lupul has been busted as fuck for so long.

I'm also not sure what the cheating part would be. Is he suggesting that the Leafs are purposely failing his physicals?

NHLPA is not likely to care? How is Lupul supposed to get a job after this season if he doesn't have recent experience? His recent hockey career is not being defined by his on-ice performance but instead dubious health claims. Don't get me wrong, Lupul is made of glass. But he's set up to fail not on his own doing. Life isn't always fair to provide that, but this practice needs to be recognized as bullshit.

DopeyFish

NHLPA is not likely to care? How is Lupul supposed to get a job after this season if he doesn't have recent experience? His recent hockey career is not being defined by his on-ice performance but instead dubious health claims. Don't get me wrong, Lupul is made of glass. But he's set up to fail not on his own doing. Life isn't always fair to provide that, but this practice needs to be recognized as bullshit.

An NHL contract isn't an entitlement to be played, only to be paid.

Ondor

Banned
An NHL contract isn't an entitlement to be played, only to be paid.
Regardless if it's harmless right now, this can be exploited to much greater heights and leaving it be until it becomes a league wide problem will just result in another cap recapture fiasco.

Edit: For clarity, I don't know if he actually failed or not. Just saying if the system is being abused, fix it while it isn't a major issue.

Marvie_3

Banned
On the one hand, Lou will do anything he thinks he can get away with, until the league tells him to stop.

On the other, Lupul has been busted as fuck for so long.

I'm also not sure what the cheating part would be. Is he suggesting that the Leafs are purposely failing his physicals?
Thats kind of what I got from it.

DopeyFish

Regardless if it's harmless right now, this can be exploited to much greater heights and leaving it be until it becomes a league wide problem will just result in another cap recapture fiasco.

This is Toronto we're talking about, though.

The cap still very much applies, as well. They're just able to get away with it because they are dressing nearly half the team on ELCs. They just don't want their prospects introduced to the blue and white disease after painstakingly destroying it.

Ondor

Banned
This is Toronto we're talking about, though.

The cap still very much applies, as well. They're just able to get away with it because they are dressing nearly half the team on ELCs. They just don't want their prospects introduced to the blue and white disease after painstakingly destroying it.
What a joke! It's 2017 and Leafs still don't vaccinate their players. Lou needs to retire.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So uh

Yeah it's gonna be a great season, I can't wait to get fucked by the draft lottery again

Afaik, Lupul could hire a 3rd party to review his physicals if he thought the Leafs were shelving him unfairly. That he hasn't makes me wonder if he doesn't still think the Leafs are putting him on LTIR - like we all did until Mirtle broke the story that they hadn't been.

Sigh. Lupul, when healthy, was a pretty decent player. Sucks to see it end this way.

Ondor

Banned
So uh

Yeah it's gonna be a great season, I can't wait to get fucked by the draft lottery again
If Boeser and Virtanen are in the line-up day one, I think it will be far better than last year. At the very very very least, Megna and Chaput are going back to the AHL.

good fucking ad(?) i just got

Kn64gtTNRUCmMPj6zvEvkQ.png

I keep getting engagement ring ads even though I stopped looking for one months ago 😶

According to the CBA players are allowed to get a second opinion on fitness to play (sec 17.7). So Lupul has the right to challenge the decision if he feels he can play.

Cake Boss

Banned
Does anyone here other than homer leafs fans will be actually surprised if the management was doing shady shit just so they have certain players not be on their team?

Fail my physical if wrong.

imBask

Banned
Does anyone here other than homer leafs fans will be actually surprised if the management was doing shady shit just so they have certain players not be on their team?

Fail my physical if wrong.

hum excuse me Cake Boss but there is NO reason whatsoever to cheat in that situation and they have NO benefit whatsoever and cheating is okay if it doesn't hurt and look Lupul is injured anyway and like it doesn't matter because like the island doesn't exist like there's no cap circumvention and it's stupid to think that way. Fuck the Patriots for cheating tho that's unacceptable

MATTHEWWWWWWWS AROOOOOOOOOO

DopeyFish

It's actually interesting

Lupul would probably be dominant on this team

He's the kind of player you hope leivo turns into

Top Bottom