• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

DKb4DJBX0AUMGbI.jpg:large

F-team, assemble

Pikma

Banned
I apologize ahead of this post as I do really hate stinking up threads with Trump rants in non-Trump threads, but this one just makes me want to vent:

Back in the 6th grade I happened to go to a private school. We lived in a place where public schools weren't very good for whatever reason. It was the only time I attended a private school as we moved to the following year.

Well I was sort of in-school friends with a kid who shared similar hobbies and was good in gym class. Hey that's all you need to make a connection. Well as Xmas was coming around it was the year of Xbox and Gamecube. What console are you gonna get and bla bla bla. Well both of us wanted a Gamecube. However, the weirdest thing came from his mouth when he said "I have to wait until I'm 13 to play Smash Bros. Melee because it's rated T". WTF??? I should have known this was the end of everything. What 11 year old can't play a Smash game? An 11 year old that has super conservative parents in all areas of life. That includes media consumption. Turn off your brain and like a drone go "it's rated X therefore Y. I can't think for myself and realize that Smash Bros. is suitable even for babbys."

Fast forward to today. He is a doctor. Commendable. Lives either in Florida or Cali. Is a huge Republican. His older brother even runs for stuff back in Michigan under the Republican ballot. Even so 99% of his posts seem sane and normal. Except when it comes to the huuuugely controversial NFL kneeling protest. This for whatever is the offense of all offenses. A post featuring the dumbass quote from Trump about how NFL owners should fire protesting players over a picture of Kaepernick kneeling with some other player. And his own text is 100% agree (with American Flag emoji).

What? I just don't get it? I mean why? Like I get that he's probably Republican because of family tradition. Fine, whatever. I remember when I first went to MSU for a year, people voted in the 08 election based on family tradition too and it blew my mind regardless of Democrat or Republican. At college. Not thinking. Huh? Now I'm getting offtrack. I get that his thing is probably "Republicans let me keep more money." And hey, I like money too. I do and fatter pockets feel nice. But it's not like my pockets would suddenly greatly diminish if I voted for a Democrat candidate.

I just don't understand how this obviously well educated man who isn't in his heart hateful (he has never posted anything racist, misogynist, xenophobic...) is so blindly behind Trump and NFL players protesting. And I don't accept coming from a well off family as an excuse. You can come from any background and have empathy and be a critical thinker. Fuck, I figure if you go to a good college it's almost impossible to come out with blinders on your eyes to social issues and being more open minded. I mean he's a doctor ffs. This ain't no hick who just parrots Fox News and yells about coal jobs and emails emails emails. I don't get it man. Maybe indoctrination from family trumps all.

tl;dr - Be wary of kids being prevented from consuming media because their parents are extremely overprotective and don't use their head to determine what is appropriate or not.

EDIT: and of course a bunch of white people "like" the post. Except one white kid who went to the same college as him is laughing at him.
You have no idea how many people I've unfriended from FB because of this.

The only positive thing about the horrible mess that's been going on this past two years is that it has allowed me to get to really know everyone's true self

I don't even bother with facebook anymore. It's such a shit show for so many reasons. As a result of not using it though I end up super isolated because that's where everyone else is, but using it and being forced into bullshit discussions about this fucking Farce is isolating in another way and I also have zero interest in being part of tribalistic toxicity that politics have become. Long story short, I feel you Pillar and probably everyone else reading this does too. The social spectacle has become something that Perpetually Fucking Sucks and there really does not seem to be an end in sight.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Kreider-Zibanejad-Zuccarello
Grabner-Andersson-Nash
Catenacci-Nieves-Kosmachuk
Schneider-Desjardins-Fontaine

McDonagh-Shattenkirk
Staal-Smith
Crawley-Holden

Lundqvist
Halverson

And Crawley's very first shift results in a tripping penalty.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Desjardins being a piece of shit, hits Miles Wood in the head, match penalty.

Hopefully that's the final nail for Desjardins.

Yawnier

Banned
I want to like Marincin, I really do. He has some super useful tools like how good he is with his stick at breaking up plays and stopping zone entries but then he goes and does dumb shit like that

Rosen looks good tonight. Gonna be some tough choices on D. If Babs didn't have such a hard on for lefties on the left and righties on the right I'd say Carrick is in danger.

Marvie_3

Banned
So fuckin tired of blackout rules. Theyre only showing oart of the Blackhawks game on NHL network yet I cant watch it on NHL.tv because its blacked out.

Pikma

Banned
So fuckin tired of blackout rules. Theyre only showing oart of the Blackhawks game on NHL network yet I cant watch it on NHL.tv because its blacked out.
Could be worse, for second year in a row there is absolutely no way to watch any of the Stars pre-season games

Solo

Hudon is making the team.

I expect the lines opening night knowing Clod will be

Patches-Drouin-Gallagher (should be Galchenyuk)
Galchenyuk-Danault-Hemsky (should be Lehkonen)
Hudon-Plekanec-Lehkonen (should be Gallagher)
Byron-Mitchell-Shaw

I like the 3rd and 4th lines but the top six the way Clod will arrange them will leave much to be desired.

Top Bottom