• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
why isn't Matthews playing for the US? Is he secretly defecting to Canada so he can be a TML forever?

Apparently had 3 weeks off in the last year and a half as he has been training and playing nearly non stop since he joined zurich

calder

-Hates america
-Lazy
-Bobby Orr would've played with a broken everything

Real Canadian Hero Mark Scheifele played in the World Cup this fall too and he's going.

Now, some people say Matthews did some extra mini-tournament in late April that Scheifele wasn't in but I'm not sure what they're talking about.

Quick

Banned
Real Canadian Hero Mark Scheifele played in the World Cup this fall too and he's going.

Now, some people say Matthews did some extra mini-tournament in late April that Scheifele wasn't in but I'm not sure what they're talking about.

Matthews basically played just an extra six games. Boohoo what a diva.

calder

Matthews basically played just an extra six games. Boohoo what a diva.

Six games? Must have been one of those end of season weekend tournaments, no wonder I never heard of it.

Speaking of, my nephew played in a AAA tourney this weekend for his new team, he did pretty well. Enjoy this gif of his short handed GWG in the finals (they won the B side? it's a weird format and I didn't bother asking my brother to explain it again).

giphy.gif

Sadly the gif quality means you cant really see how top cheese it is, but he roofed it just under the crossbar. His Ovie-like celly cracked me up.

Quick

Banned
Six games? Must have been one of those end of season weekend tournaments, no wonder I never heard of it.

Speaking of, my nephew played in a AAA tourney this weekend for his new team, he did pretty well. Enjoy this gif of his short handed GWG in the finals (they won the B side? it's a weird format and I didn't bother asking my brother to explain it again).

giphy.gif

Sadly the gif quality means you cant really see how top cheese it is, but he roofed it just under the crossbar. His Ovie-like celly cracked me up.

Typical Winnipeg hotdoggin'

I'm going to have to send this to Don for him to ridicule this child on Coach's Corner.

calder

Typical Winnipeg hotdoggin'

I'm going to have to send this to Don for him to ridicule this child on Coach's Corner.

We're a passionate people, you can't apply your old fashioned sense of decorum to us! We're Stro-show after a complete game, but 24/7, and not on a terrible team like the Jays.

Yawnier

Banned
I'd imagine he'd be looking for a team that also has good linemates for him. Vegas isn't going to have any top scorers to begin with.

Shipachev, Radulov, and Babby Ryan are going to wreck shit in Vegas next season

...and by wreck shit I mean get like 40 points each.

Speaking of which, what's the state of the cap/floor looking like for next year? Is it going to go up based on the projected Vegas revenue or are they gonna leave it and give Vegas a year or so to catch up?

Well as it stands the floor is at $54M this season, though if the players want to vote to use the cap escalator again in June like they did for the last few years then the floor will rise a bit with the cap.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I like the SDP, but man if only they'd avoid stuff like defending Mark Spector's latest awful click-bait, or Romanuk's absolutely terrible game calls.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/man-drowns-in-north-vancouvers-lynn-canyon/57085

Yeah they've got signs all over the place there. Some guys were making 40 jumps through trees, where they had to also clear about 15 feet of distance. I'm like, "nah I'll stick to the kiddie jump thanks"

giphy.gif

McDavid-like speed.

He could be the next Kapanen.

Socreges

Banned

giphy.gif

Goddamn. If only this were like soccer where you can get kids into a youth system to secure their rights.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

giphy.gif

Calgary is ready to draft him as soon as he enters Junior High

giphy.gif

Damn, that speed. Blew right past that other kid like it was nothing. Bet he cried himself to sleep that night.

This just came up in a work convo: In the 2002 draft, the Canucks selected eleven players.

Total NHL games played for the group? TWELVE.

Points? ZERO.

I can't believe I didn't know about this until today.

PillarEN

This just came up in a work convo: In the 2002 draft, the Canucks selected eleven players.

Points? ZERO.

Just blame Cloutier for that. I think the team still was shook from the goal he let in from center ice.

Just blame Cloutier for that. I think the team still was shook from the goal he let in from center ice.

Oh how I laughed at Cloutier.

And then Reimer, Bernier, Toskala, Gustavsson happened.

The # of picks surprised me the most. You'd think with 11, you'd hit at least one league average guy. But nope.

And then you have the Leafs in the 99 draft, where they had 9 picks, and got 3 whole NHL games out of it.

Socreges

Banned
Can someone do a comparison of the 2002 and 2003 drafts? In terms of GP and points or something

Points? ZERO.

Burke_zps17db61bb.jpg

No 1st round pick of course

calder

Media half convinces me raptors might give the Cavs an argument. I'm mainly just mad at me for being a sucker smh 😔

Socreges

Banned
If Cloutier hadn't gotten injured in the 2004 playoffs, Flames lose in round 1 and don't make it to the SCF.

Seriously.

He was generally pretty bad/average,
but was playing very well at that time in 2004.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Food recommendations would be great, I think we're staying in Gastown or very close to it! We're budgetting to eat out once a day so some nice dinner options would be appreciated. I think we're both fairly open minded, I'm not a huge fan of seafood though and can't eat beef!

Definitely going to do Stanley park
Lol Wreck looks interesting but I'm travelling with a girl who is not that adventurous

Cliff diving o_o

Alright alright

HAVE to go places, IMHO:

- Chambar - great for brunch, lunch, Belgian beers, all-around awesomeness
- Cafe Medina - breakfast. Awesome waffles. Always has a lineup, so go during the week preferably.
- If you're going to Steveston/Richmond, go to:
- Pho 37, probably one of the best Pho places in the lower mainland. If not, then substitute Joyeux Cafe downtown. Hidden and not-very-good-looking, but great price/value and really good pho downtown. Others probably have more recommendations
- TONS of great Ramen places, I'd personally recommend DANBO Kitsilano. Good to mix with visiting Kitsilano.
- Siegel's Bagels - also good to mix with Kitsilano, FANTASTIC Montreal Smoked Meat Bagels. I've been to Schwartz's and this place is at least as good. And it's open 24/7!
- Thierry - fantastic hot chocolate and LIQUID chocolate, fantastic pastries. My favourite dessert/late-night place. Downtown.
- Alibi Room. A pub. you have to go to it.
- literally any Sushi restaurant. Okay maybe not ANY, but the sheer amount of fantastic Sushi you'll get in the city is too overwhelming for a single place to recommend. I personally really like Kuma near UBC but that's just because it's close to where I live, probably not worth going out of the way for with other options downtown. So just a couple good japanese places:

--Guu Gastown (no Sushi but great for atmosphere&drinking with friends. Also amazing Coconut-HotVanilla with Brioche dessert lol)
- Shabusen Yakiniki, for your BBQ needs
- Minami, for your Sushi needs. If I had to pick one place, I'd pick this one. Also my boss's favourite, coincidentally.

On top of that
- Sura, in the absence of ApGuJung, one of my favourite Korean places downtown.

... let me know if you have any other specific cousine interests on top of that. There's a few really good Italian&French places but they're usually more upper-scale/expensive or they're really bad, unfortunately. e.g. Le Crocodile is probably one of my favourite restaurants and amazing French food (get the pan-seared foie gras, it melts in your mouth and you'll feel like heaven) but it's really pricy. Blue Water Cafe in Yaletown, Frankie's Italian Kitchen near BC Place and L'Abbatoir in Gastown also have some fantastic, albeit pricey food.

RC

Banned
If Cloutier hadn't gotten injured in the 2004 playoffs, Flames lose in round 1 and don't make it to the SCF.

Seriously.

He was generally pretty bad/average,
but was playing very well at that time in 2004.

Absolutely.

My heart sank when baldy Auldy let in the series winner in OT. Fucking Flames.

imBask

Banned
HOT SCOOP from this morning's french radio show :

When Therrien left and Julien came in, they had to throw everything away from the coach's office and repaint everything because everything smelled like cigarettes. Not even joking

PillarEN

HOT SCOOP from this morning's french radio show :

When Therrien left and Julien came in, they had to throw everything away from the coach's office and repaint everything because everything smelled like cigarettes. Not even joking

Old school hockey. Everything is smokey.

Top Bottom