• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

Syrinx

Canes still have 33 guys on the roster. They're probably going to make some cuts today or tomorrow.

Without further ado, my surely long-awaited expected Hurricanes cuts:

PDG
Kuokkanen
Necas
Roy
Saarela
Wallmark
Zykov
Bean
Carrick
Chelios
Smith

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
the answer to that is yes

the answer to that is Toronto, Tampa, Ottawa are better than us so our only chance is through the wildcard, and one of the wildcard spot is reserved for one of the 4 teams destroying the metropolitan
I don't see Ottawa as a better team top to bottom and they'll start the season without Karlsson. Toronto had a lot of things go right for them last season, Tampa is the real wildcard. I think you guys are really underplaying how much of a difference Julien can make, this team hit 100 points a few times under Therrien, one of the worst coaches in the entire league.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I don't see Ottawa as a better team top to bottom and they'll start the season without Karlsson. Toronto had a lot of things go right for them last season, Tampa is the real wildcard. I think you guys are really underplaying how much of a difference Julien can make, this team hit 100 points a few times under Therrien, one of the worst coaches in the entire league.

lol

loooool

imBask

Banned

honestly you might be right in a way. I do agree that Julien might make a difference but he can't score for us, and I think you're vastly underestimating Ottawa and Toronto's progression in that assessment. They have young players progressing and potential superstars if not immediate superstars in their lineup, we have Hudon and Mete who both look good (if that's even a comparison I can make) but everyone else look like they're barely going to make the cut in Laval

McTrashron and DeLaRose and Sherbust and omg what the fuck happened

Red_Man

lol

loooool
The Leafs were one of the least injured teams last year, faced no major injuries to any of their key players, and had 3 guys breakout at the same time. They did have a lot go their way, not that they can't keep it going this year, but I think even Leaf fans can acknowledge how well the season went for them last year.

honestly you might be right in a way. I do agree that Julien might make a difference but he can't score for us, and I think you're vastly underestimating Ottawa and Toronto's progression in that assessment. They have young players progressing and potential superstars, we have Hudon and Mete who both look good but everyone else look like they're barely going to make the cut in Laval

McTrashron and DeLaRose and Sherbust and omg what the fuck happened
The forwards including Drouin are a complete wild card, but if they can keep up their possession stats in the top of the league, they should be fine.

As someone who doesnt particularly like any of the Canadian teams more than the others (though if I were to pick, probably the Leafs because their jerseys are so nice but then you D-bag Babcock so ????), I'd say chances of playoffs are Leafs > Montreal > Ottawa.

I'd imagine all three make the yoffs though.

imBask

Banned
The Leafs were one of the least injured teams last year, faced no major injuries to any of their key players, and had 3 guys breakout at the same time. They did have a lot go their way, not that they can't keep it going this year, but I think even Leaf fans can acknowledge how well the season went for them last year.

don't forget that they got 5 full wins by losing and getting points from a dumb rule

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Laviolette says #Preds met and decided they will stand for national anthem out of respect to those who served and fought for freedom.

Expected, but still pathetic.

Being a black hockey fan sure is tough sometimes.

Red_Man

For anyone who's been on the fence about signing up for the Athletic, I would highly recommend it. So far there's a lot of quality content, and not just garbage fluff pieces.

Cake Boss

Banned
The Habs are a joke garbage team that can't score in the pre season to save their lives, their young guys are shit, their defense is slower and less talented than last year somehow, in a league where the game is getting faster, they got slower. They have a 22 year old playing #1 center where he never played center before, and oh did I say they are garbage?

Cake Boss

Banned
The hockey media is gonna kill Ho-Sang.

DKq6hrWXUAEZyR6.jpg

calder

Who? Almost all media coverage from hockey peeps has been quite supportive of stance's like this in general. And his comments are pretty reasoned and well laid out so I don't see much chance for him being (honestly) misunderstood.

Quick

Banned

Last season might be the first in some time where there weren’t significant man hours lost due to long-term injuries in-season.

I know the team hired sports science staff and maybe better nutritionists to help cut down on injuries. Seems to have worked then, hopefully it works out this season too.

Revenant

DKq6hrWXUAEZyR6.jpg

Sounds like he's not doing things the white way.

Who? Almost all media coverage from hockey peeps has been quite supportive of stance's like this in general. And his comments are pretty reasoned and well laid out so I don't see much chance for him being (honestly) misunderstood.

Didn't Torts and a few others make a bold statements how everyone better stand for the anthem and simultaneously gave wank off material to "patriots" and people who love to talk about "how hockey players are the greatest athletes in sports". I don't remember a lot of encouraging responses.

imBask

Banned
http://www.tsn.ca/radio/audio/basu-habs-made-mistakes-developing-alex-galchenyuk-1.867264

Arpon Basu dropping truth bombs (re: the Habs complete, utter failure of developing Galchenyuk as a centre). The fun starts at 4:22. Love it when someone is willing to go in deep against BargainBin and his lackeys.

"You don't see this kind of drama surrounding high end picks like him. It just seems like he has been put in a position to fail from the get go." Boom.

Funny how you ommited that other quote just after the first one Red Solo

"but now he's gotta buck up and make it a success instead of finding excuses"

Red_Man

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/audio/basu-habs-made-mistakes-developing-alex-galchenyuk-1.867264

Arpon Basu dropping truth bombs (re: the Habs complete, utter failure of developing Galchenyuk as a centre). The fun starts at 4:22. Love it when someone is willing to go in deep against BargainBin and his lackeys.

"You don't see this kind of drama surrounding high end picks like him. It just seems like he has been put in a position to fail from the get go." Boom.
Arpon is the guy managing the Montreal side of the Athletic, if you like listening to him, you should definitely invest in a subscription.

Ondor

Banned
As someone who doesnt particularly like any of the Canadian teams more than the others (though if I were to pick, probably the Leafs because their jerseys are so nice but then you D-bag Babcock so ????), I'd say chances of playoffs are Leafs > Montreal > Ottawa.

I'd imagine all three make the yoffs though.
Why are people so down on Ottawa? This is a team that took the cup champs to seven games and double OT. I know we all think they're boring but that doesn't mean they're bad. Even with Karlsson missing time, they've got baby Karlsson now so they're still stronger than the Habs and the Leafs.

DKq6hrWXUAEZyR6.jpg
I love Ho-Sang. Thank fuck someone speaks out about this garbage. I hope Islanders kick ass this year.

Solo

I think what would anger me the most if I were AGally is that after years of this "You're a center!" "You're not a center!" nonsense, in the off-season they bring in another kid, even less experienced and prepared than you, to take your job. And where your defensive deficiencies were aired out publicly multiple times and you were yanked back to the wing at the first sign of trouble, the organization is instead preaching patience and growth for your similarly defensively deficient French savior replacement.

That shit has got to sting.

Arpon is the guy managing the Montreal side of the Athletic, if you like listening to him, you should definitely invest in a subscription.

Heretic has Xbox

Red has The Athletic

I will probably subscribe and continue playing video games on my Xbox One all-in one home entertainment console

Red_Man

I think what would anger me the most if I were AGally is that after years of this "You're a center!" "You're not a center!" nonsense, in the off-season they bring in another kid, even less experienced and prepared than you, to take your job. And where your defensive deficiencies were aired out publicly multiple times and you were yanked back to the wing at the first sign of trouble, the organization is instead preaching patience and growth for your similarly defensively deficient French savior replacement.

That shit has got to sting.
I've obviously been the biggest advocate of AGally at center, and I think Therrien completely fucked up his development, but I trust Julien to know where he should play at this point.

I saw they also write about the impact AND they translate every article, i'll try it out too

Heretic has Xbox

Red has The Athletic

I will probably subscribe and continue playing video games on my Xbox One all-in one home entertainment console
I've been really impressed, it's nice having so much quality writing in one place and it's pretty cheap.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I'm willing to bet connor carrick is either going to turn into a coach or an analyst when his hockey career fades.

His interviews are kind of impressive. No uttering of "you know" shit to string along loosely connected thoughts or sound bites. He throws out some complicated responses without even missing a beat and wanders into areas you don't really expect.

PillarEN

Canes still have 33 guys on the roster. They're probably going to make some cuts today or tomorrow.

Without further ado, my surely long-awaited expected Hurricanes cuts:

PDG
Kuokkanen
Necas
Roy
Saarela
Wallmark
Zykov
Bean
Carrick
Chelios
Smith

Oh snap. One of Cheli's kids belongs to the Canes? Which one?

Top Bottom