• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

Socreges

Banned
Lol ESPN played us all. That John Scott quote on Subban was from two years ago.
What fuckers

https://www.thescore.com/news/1309948

John Scott simply wants the mean tweets to stop.

The former NHL enforcer and All-Star Game MVP (yes, that's still weird to write) was the talk of the hockey world Sunday when he was featured in an "E:60" profile on P.K. Subban in which he called the star defenseman "a piece of garbage" when he's on the ice.

On Monday, Scott was on TSN Montreal 690 to clarify his comments, which it turns out were at least a year-and-a-half old.

Scott's not backing down from what he said, but he wants everyone to know they're about Subban as a hockey player and not as a person.

"I honestly hated everyone I played against, so it's not anything personal against P.K.," Scott said. "I hadn't met him at that time, and now that I've met him I actually like the guy, he's a good guy off the ice. On the ice, you know, I don't like him, and that's just all there is to it, I'm not going to back down from that comment. I didn't like playing against him, I didn't like some of his antics he did. You're allowed to not like people, it's not always rainbows and butterflies. Everyone, I hope, just please stop mean-tweeting me."

The conversation then went to Subban's perceived reputation, which Scott shined a light on.

"He's a world-class talent and one of the best defensemen in the league and he's a fun guy and he's perceived as having a good time on the ice and as an opposing player sometimes when you're losing 5-1 to that team and he's still whooping it up and doing the high-fives and all the celebrations, it gets under your skin and that's going to happen, especially when he's such a talented player," Scott said. "So, you know, the guys on the other team don't really like that when he's doing it in your barn or at their barn and they're having a great time and you're struggling and losing.

"I'm sure I wouldn't call him a piece of garbage to his face, he's a nice guy," Scott added. "I met him a few times now, so, you know, it's just on the ice, he does some stuff that gets under your skin."

Tough, but fair. And, let's face it, the majority of Scott's NHL career was spent watching from the bench, so you can imagine why a guy like Subban drove him batty.

The topic of Subban as a marketing tool for the game was then discussed, and Scott lamented the fact the NHL hasn't done enough to market the larger-than-life personality known as P.K.

"He's like an untapped resource," Scott said. "He has such a good personality and sense of humor, and he's so outgoing and to have that in your wings ... and he wants to do it, too, he's not saying no to opportunities, he jumps at everything that comes his way.

"(The NHL has) definitely dropped the ball in that because he could just sell this game all over the country, and he just crosses all borders when it comes to marketing standpoints. He can go to all different neighborhoods and all different communities and everybody loves him - but except for me, apparently. He's such an untapped resource, they need to use him more."

Amen, Mr. Scott.
Extremely reasonable. PK is a diving, chirping little shit on the ice. So of course he's going to draw some cruel words.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
O'Neil such a dumbass on Overdrive so far, hating on Subban for having fun on media day, apparently he took away too much attention from Ryan Ellis and Mike Fisher.

haha heard that too.

More and more I take away that hockey players behind the scenes are the biggest babies in the world.

Yawnier

Banned
O'Neil such a dumbass on Overdrive so far, hating on Subban for having fun on media day, apparently he took away too much attention from Ryan Ellis and Mike Fisher.

Lol that's pretty bad.

But I don't know if that's as bad as the guy subbing in for Bob McCown today saying that Subban isn't a top 2 d-man on the Perds.

Socreges

Banned
Calling him garbage might've been a bit extreme, but the context of describing PK as a player on the ice (and not necessarily off the ice) is clear.
Right. He even went as far to specify "on the ice" which is more than you'd usually get from hockey players sharing their feelings about other players they don't like.

The problem here was that ESPN reported it as if John Scott, long removed from NHL play, had decided to finally speak up on the eve of the Cup Final. It's not news otherwise.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Shouldn't that be a positive?

Take pressure off of those two?

No see the thing is hockey is a team game, remember it should never be about one guy, always about the team.

So that said O'Neill said those other guys would probably be pissed because PK is taking away from their moment.

It all makes sense.

Samyy

Leafs should go after Jumbo Joe :OOO

Kadri/Matthews/Thorton/Bozak would be a pretty beast middle of the ice.

Who needs defence!

Socreges

Banned
Master of None S2 spoilers

Never realized that last shot was of her having left the fiance for Dev. Crazy.

So I'll guess S3 will open with either her having left or her being unsettled since she realizes she used Dev as an escape.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Master of None S2 spoilers

Never realized that last shot was of her having left the fiance for Dev. Crazy.

So I'll guess S3 will open with either her having left or her being unsettled since she realizes she used Dev as an escape.

I posted about that after you shared your thoughts on the finale.

Sportsnet thinks Montreal or Carolina should offer sheet Draisaitl. I agree.

This Draft isn't great this year. We have picks in the mid twenties. Why not?

Cake Boss

Banned
His gains are your losses.

trevor1-e1410034572875.jpg

Holiday

Banned
The ol' "hockey deal," much different than the basketball deal, lacrosse deal, or fly fishing deal that other NHL GMs might be looking to make.

calder

TO DALLAS:
13th overall pick
2nd round pick next, this year or next
Sweet, sweet relief from past mistakes. The greatest gift of all.

TO WINNIPEG:
3rd overall pick
Kari Lehtonen's entire wince-inducing $5.9 million cap hit

Let's do it.

Top Bottom