• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Playoffs |OT2| stay salty, my friends

Alucard

Banned
I'm hopeful that the Pens' story these playoffs will be that they started off a little shaky but really came together in rounds 2 and 3 on their way to the Final.

calder

Let's see, I picked Pens, Sens, Caps, Bruins in the East. Decent-ish so far. Then I went with the Hawks, Ducks, Canucks and Blues in the West. Oh god so bad. And of course despite ALWAYS picking the Canucks to lose every series I pussied out this year.

Sens in 6, followed by Pittsburgh announcing compliance buyouts on both goalies during the post game.

Bruins in 5, because I think the Rangers made a huge mistake in wasting 3-4 games worth of goals against the Caps in game 7

Hawks in 5, come on Chicago put a stake through the heart of that damn team already

Sharks in 7 because really a SCF run for SJ would be, at this point, pretty hilarious

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I just hope the Islanders gave them a sufficient enough scare to make them realize they need to work harder.
Pens can't win a cup with their goalie situation. If you have to go to Vokoun as your starter then you're in trouble. That being said I still think they beat the Sens, but nothing would surprise me at this point.

Cake Boss

Banned
I just hope the Islanders gave them a sufficient enough scare to make them realize they need to work harder.

You would think the last 2 early playoffs exits would scare them.

You can work hard all you want but shitty goaltending is shitty goaltending.

Alucard

Banned
Pens can't win a cup with their goalie situation. If you have to go to Vokoun as your starter then you're in trouble. That being said I still think they beat the Sens, but nothing would surprise me at this point.

A series loss to Ottawa wouldn't surprise me, but neither would the Pens winning the Cup by shuffling whichever goalie is hot at the moment. Of course, this implies that MAF is doing some serious soul searching right now and will be ready at the drop of a hat to step in and play well if needed.

UberTag

You're a fan. Nothing you did could have made a difference.
YOU DON'T KNOW THAT FOR SURE

I REALLY HAD TO GO TO THE BATHROOM DURING PERIOD 3, THEY SHIT THE BED BECAUSE I REFUSED TO
I'm with DopeyFish on this one. Fan karma is a very real thing. I watched three games from the Bruins-Leafs series with a bunch of Leafs fans and not wearing my Bergeron jersey. Boston went 0-3 in those games.

I wear my Bergeron jersey and watch four other games at work and the Bruins go 4-0 in those games and Bergeron gets the game tying & game winning goals in Game 7.

Boston had a ridiculous record whenever I wore my jersey during their Stanley Cup run as well. The trick is that you don't wear it all the time. No team is going to win every playoff game the play unless they have Jonathan Quick playing like a mad man in net.

Lots of fans have their own superstitions before big games. So do the players. Whatever you can do to get karma on your side.

Had DopeyFish worn diapers and shit himself, the Leafs very well may have won last night.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
The thing about superstitions is you may do the same thing as before, but then completely suggest that you did something differently in hindsight and make an excuse for failure

We are practically doing the same shit that gives birth to religions

UberTag

The thing about superstitions is you may do the same thing as before, but then completely suggest that you did something differently in hindsight and make an excuse for failure

So long as you don't take any of your superstitions seriously or try and indoctrinate others into believing them, there's no real harm in it. Cults and religions are what happens when you A) lose perspective on reality and B) try to exploit people that buy into them for financial and political gain.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
So long as you don't take any of your superstitions seriously or try and indoctrinate others into believing them, there's no real harm in it. Cults and religions are what happens when you A) lose perspective on reality and B) try to exploit people that buy into them for financial and political gain.

Hmmm over 5 million people tuned into the leafs game last night

That's a lot of money to be made

brb

Alucard

Banned
I'm with DopeyFish on this one. Fan karma is a very real thing. I watched three games from the Bruins-Leafs series with a bunch of Leafs fans and not wearing my Bergeron jersey. Boston went 0-3 in those games.

I wear my Bergeron jersey and watch four other games at work and the Bruins go 4-0 in those games and Bergeron gets the game tying & game winning goals in Game 7.

Boston had a ridiculous record whenever I wore my jersey during their Stanley Cup run as well. The trick is that you don't wear it all the time. No team is going to win every playoff game the play unless they have Jonathan Quick playing like a mad man in net.

Lots of fans have their own superstitions before big games. So do the players. Whatever you can do to get karma on your side.

Had DopeyFish worn diapers and shit himself, the Leafs very well may have won last night.

Seriously. It's called coincidence. Fan karma is bullshit. Player karma? If they actually believe it helps them then maybe there's something to it since they'll be playing with extra confidence, but to think your team is going to win because you wore a jersey? No way. How do you explain them not winning the Cup last year or the years before 2011?

UberTag

The "Canadian" thing to do would be to cheer for Crosby's team, IMO. He won Canada their Olympic gold medal. Nobody on the Sens did that.

I'm cheering for Ottawa 'cause I'd rather face them and not Pittsburgh (provided we even survive the Rangers).

Seriously. It's called coincidence. Fan karma is bullshit. Player karma? If they actually believe it helps them then maybe there's something to it since they'll be playing with extra confidence, but to think your team is going to win because you wore a jersey? No way. How do you explain them not winning the Cup last year or the years before 2011?
Clearly someone else's mystical jersey powers trumped mine last year. And I wasn't wearing the Bergeron jersey for that series. I had a Thomas jersey and he was already planning to quit. Bad joojoo. ;)

Clydefrog

I think the Kings have more Canadian players than the Pens. But then the Kings have an American captain as well as starting goalie... and the most famous Slovenian.

Silexx

One hour till game time!

iETnigh1RBIws.gif

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Fuck cheering for Crosby. Ottawa is now Canada's team :lol

Which series are on CBC/TSN?

Obviously he is the best player in the world, I only hate Crosby because of the constant whining and diving(which seems to have toned down recently) and the annoying as fuck media shoving him down our throat.

"We interrupt this programming to inform you that Sidney Crosby had breakfast -- stay tuned for an update on when he takes a shit"

Actually he still seems like a whiner -- look at his meltdown against the Flyers last year.

The Penguins' success pisses me off because they aren't the type of team I would want to be the ideal for the league.

Give me a physical team with tight defense over a frontloaded mess of superstars any day of the week.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Like the Toronto / Boston series, I hope Pens and Sens beat the shit out of each so whoever makes it to the ECF loses in hilarious fashion.

The Penguins' success pisses me off because they aren't the type of team I would want to be the ideal for the league.

If the Penguins aren't the ideal NHL team then their postseason record(or lack thereof) will determine that.

I don't really see much of a pattern between Stanley Cup winners from year to year.

Like the Toronto / Boston series, I hope Pens and Sens beat the shit out of each so whoever makes it to the ECF loses in hilarious fashion.

We have a history of beating the shit out of each other so I expect some fireworks once the series gets off the ground.

Here is a good timeline of the kind of crap that's happened between us over the years:

http://blog.shnarped.com/2013/05/12...ry-history-timeline-nhl-stanley-cup-playoffs/

I forgot a lot of this stuff lol.

If the Penguins aren't the ideal NHL team then their postseason record(or lack thereof) will determine that.

I don't really see much of a pattern between Stanley Cup winners from year to year.

Nah man,

All the times the Penguins were eliminated since 2009 were just flukes.

Here is a good timeline of the kind of crap that's happened between us over the years:

http://blog.shnarped.com/2013/05/12...ry-history-timeline-nhl-stanley-cup-playoffs/

I forgot a lot of this stuff lol.

Cooke is just the biggest incident in a long line of bitterness. I can't see this series not having at least one really nasty moment.

Top Bottom