• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni II spotted in Amazon.es for the Xbox One.

statham

Depends on how serious Xbox is about getting Japanese games, and if they're willing to put up the money to get a port. It probably won't happen, but anything's possible. And I think Catherine is more likely than something like Persona or Yakuza.
Catherine is already on XBO

Like the game or not my point is Xbox one is not getting the games that used to be on 360, like how NieR Gestalt was 360 but it didn't get NieR Automata.

If we end up getting follow up to Catherine, do you really think it going be on Xbox One?

Hmm, good question. I would say no, but I've been surprised before. Heck, I was surprised Catherine showed up on the 360 at all back then.
I don't think that game needs a follow up.

I doubt Xbox will get games like Yakuza, Persona, or even the Ni no Kuni sequel, but I always keep an open mind.

Like the game or not my point is Xbox one is not getting the games that used to be on 360, like how NieR Gestalt was 360 but it didn't get NieR Automata.

If we end up getting follow up to Catherine, do you really think it going be on Xbox One?

I'd be pessimistic since, yeah like you pointed out even already existing IPs on their previous console aren't being represented now, and to make matters worse Automata would've been a phenomenal feather in their cap, on top of being a decent money-maker for them at a time when Sony was a bit saturated with RPG releases.

However, if this (NNKII) were to come out, or at least a few titles from Japanese studios, then I'd be far more inclined to see SEGA put a Catherine sequel on there.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Depends on how serious Xbox is about getting Japanese games, and if they're willing to put up the money to get a port. It probably won't happen, but anything's possible. And I think Catherine is more likely than something like Persona or Yakuza.

How so? Catherine is much more niche than both Persona and Yakuza and its very clear that MS is only interested in Japanese games that could sell big in west. This why they got Code Vein because it very similar to Souls games and Souls games are do well in west and Dragon ball fighterZ because DBZ is huge IP.

I bet you anything the reason they did not try to get NieR Automata because Phil Spencer looked at Yoko Taro's past works and he thought the game would review badly and it would sell like shit.

How so? Catherine is much more niche than both Persona and Yakuza and its very clear that MS is only interested in Japanese games that could sell big in west. This why they got Code Vein because it very similar to Souls games and Souls games are do well in west and Dragon ball fighterZ because DBZ is huge IP.

I bet you anything the reason they did not try to get NieR Automata because Phil Spencer looked at Yoko Taro's past works and he thought the game would review badly and it would sell like shit.
Yeah, it's more niche, but I also think Catherine is a lot lower budget than those. It's probably less of a financial risk.

I don't know the details of that, but when you put it that way I can't quite see it. For example, Cuphead is a game made by a studio with no previous works and with a style of gameplay rarely seen these days.

Wouldn't past works being awful be better than no past works at all? I mean, Spencer seemed to think so. That's why he invested in the game.

Either way, I do agree that a lot of IP are skipping Xbox, and it's not a very good look for sure. But I can't say assumptions like these help.

Until Persona 5 came out Catherine was by far one of Atlus's most successful console games outside Japan. It did at least 500k with a pretty even split between Japan and NA. It's also one of the most western-friendly games they've made in general. Granted I don't know how well it did on Xbox versus PS3 but the point is as far as Atlus's library goes it's actually one of their biggest, least niche hits. Like those sales are definitely more than most Yakuza games have done in NA, and probably most of Persona/SMT barring P5 and maybe 4(G).

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yeah, but Catherine's just a puzzle game.

Im curious, how Catherine do in 360 compare to PS3? Also Persona might have bigger budget than Catherine but also Persona sells much better than Catherine. I think MS rather invest on IP that sell better, which is why they invested on Scalebound because they thought when the game does come out it would sell much better than NieR Automata.

Im curious, how Catherine do in 360 compare to PS3? Also Persona might have bigger budget than Catherine but also Persona sells much better than Catherine. I think MS rather invest on IP that sell better, which is why they invested on Scalebound because they thought when the game does come out it would sell much better than NieR Automata.

Yeah I kinda forgot about Scalebound but that definitely puts a damper on MS fronting money on, in their eyes, risky titles. However there must be elements internally within Microsoft that's ruing the decision to cancel that game outright given how Automata was a success, them scrambling more recklessly for titles would be more understandable now rather than these past few years since, even with a newer console, their position to keep an increasing customer base is dwindling.

I bet you anything the reason they did not try to get NieR Automata because Phil Spencer looked at Yoko Taro's past works and he thought the game review badly and it wont sell like shit.

I have no idea how you got the impression Phil/Microsoft's the one making those decisions but it's really silly. If you look at the actual publishers of those games, there are very clear strategies there.

Bandai Namco are willing to support the Xbox with the games they think will at least sell decently on it (Tekken 7, DBZ, Dark Souls, Code Vein, etc). But games that are far more niche in the west like Tales of, Digimon, etc are off the cards.

Sega are pretty much the same. Though Valkyria Revolution was a weird one, I still have no idea why that came to Xbox but not to PC.

Square Enix Japan, on the other hand, clearly doesn't give a fuck about Xbox. We're talking about a publisher who literally provides the PS4 ten times the amount of support they provide Xbox (30 vs 3). I don't think it matters what Phil wants or thinks, they aren't interested.

statham

Pretty sure I read it here, but the rumor that MS is hungry for 3rd party games even those they cut ties with? Seems like Phil will okay games that his prev. boss denied. being VP and all.

Nephtes

If Microsoft managed to get this, I'll buy it just to show my support for them getting more Japanese games on their system, not because I was actually looking forward to the game...

Head.spawn

That game will look so fucking crisp on Xbox One X.

I hope they pulled it, but I'm not holding my breath for random amazon listings to come to fruition.

I think it's fair to say to anyone buying into the Xbox ecosystem at this point that they shouldn't expect Japanese games outside of Dark Souls. People don't buy them.

I-dont-believe-you.gif

Shiggy

This is several months old, so probably just a mistake. A late port would make even less dense than a simultaneously releasing port.

Strings

All that's stopping this is Level-5s beef with Microsoft, right? Feels like something Bandai Namco would want to do.

Chobel

While it was announced as "console debut", I certainly didn't expect it to come to Xbox. Props to Xbox team and "based" Phil Spencer if true, because it couldn't be easy to convince Level 5 to let go of what happened in the past.

I would love this but wouldn't they have announced this by now?

It's never a good business for platform holders to announce a game X is coming to other platforms.

This isn't going to happen and not because of some business shenanigans that occurred more than a decade ago but because it wouldn't make financial sense for them to do so.

While it was announced as "console debut", I certainly didn't expect it to come to Xbox. Props to Xbox team and "based" Phil Spencer if true, because it couldn't be easy to convince Level 5 to let go of what happened in the past.

It's never a good business for platform holders to announce a game X is coming to other platforms.

That's true. But man, why can't they just forgive and forget? I bet it were totally different people at MS back then too. Not getting my hopes up though about this just yet.

This isn't going to happen and not because of some business shenanigans that occurred more than a decade ago but because it wouldn't make financial sense for them to do so.

Yeah this. Sadly there just isn't a big market for this genre on Xbox. I sure as hell would buy it but I bet the majority won't. I guess that's also what is keeping Sega from bringing Yakuza to Xbox. At least we're getting Monster Hunter World, Code Vein, Sword Art Online and a few others.

An incorrect/mistake listing and posters are going "Great news! Good job Phil! Yeah! You go!".

???

People are just waiting and hoping for more Japanese games on Xbox, so excitement is normal but yeah it's definitely too early to celebrate. Do we know for sure it's fake now?

This is bamco right? I thought Phil had a a lil partnership with them because he was tired of Xbox missing out on cool Japanese games.

Oh, NVM then

Things can change though and Phil did go to Japan after GC happened. But who knows, maybe it's a lifetime deal or something. Which would be fucked up. Would mean it's not even necessarily due to any grudge or whatsoever.

Trago

Would be great for Xbox owners.

Honestly, more Japanese games should be hitting the Xbox period. More sales means more games like that can be made. We're only just getting Japanese console games hitting us from every major publisher this gen, it'd be great to know that the Xbox community can help with their businesses.

Would be great for Xbox owners.

Honestly, more Japanese games should be hitting the Xbox period. More sales means more games like that can be made. We're only just getting Japanese console games hitting us from every major publisher this gen, it'd be great to know that the Xbox community can help with their businesses.

Plus how hard can it be to port it to Xbox since it comes to PC? Same with Nier Automata though. But I've given up on that. At first they said maybe, let's wait and see how it does on PS4. Then before release they decided to just not bother with an Xbox version because there was no market for it. Sure not in Japan, but I think plenty Xbox owners in the west would get it.

I played the first one and got to the very last boss and sort of lost steam, videos of the 2nd look even better than the first.

If this is true and it's an enhanced title for Xbox One X, I'm gonna lose my mind. That's awesome!

Trago

Plus how hard can it be to port it to Xbox since it comes to PC? Same with Nier Automata though. But I've given up on that. At first they said maybe, let's wait and see how it does on PS4. Then before release they decided to just not bother with an Xbox version because there was no market for it. Sure not in Japan, but I think plenty Xbox owners in the west would get it.

I know people like to argue that this kind of game has no audience on Xbox, but I don't buy that. People used to think that Japanese games had no place on the PC platform, but thanks to games like Dark Souls, Japan started to embrace the platform.

I don't game on Xbox, and I won't claim to know what the audience typically buys on the platform, but as someone who likes Japanese games, I want those games to hit as many platforms as possible to help them reach higher sales. More sales means they can keep making the kind of games I like.

_Ryo_

I'm pretty sure Catherine was Atlus's best selling game before Persona 5 released. I think a sequel would have a chance on releasing on XB1 much more so than Yakuza/Nier/Persona.

And Catherine is not *just* a puzzle game. It visually and technically looks better than P5 (in terms of polygons, textures. Artstyle is entirely subjective.) And it tells an indepth story with a cohesive narrative, and great music, cutscenes and voice acting. and has very lite daily sim stuff.

I think the ship for Japanese games, especially neich ones, has long sailed for the Xbox. If you want Japnese neich games, you're playing on PS4 or PC. If you bought an XBox with the expectation of playing them, history isn't really in your favour here.

Top Bottom