• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

I got the Amazon DLC email this morning so if you haven't gotten yours already, I would contact them directly.

I called them and they said they would have to forward this to the promo department and they would get back to me in a day or 2.

Got tired of waiting and contacted amazon over chat to get the code. They gave it to me and I was able to redeem it on Sony's account management site.

I will have to give this a shot.

Sanctuary

Argh, Amazon shipped my copy via UPS, meaning they won't bother to deliver it to my house until 8 or 9pm tonight.

They typically deliver to my place (PA) before 5pm, but I have occasionally had a 7pm delivery and once 8pm when they screwed up and didn't bother to even ring my doorbell and just took off with a package that required a signature. Still waiting on my copy though, and were got hit pretty hard with a ton of snow over the past two days, so I expect it to be the end of their delivery run tonight. :(

Speaking of signatures, when I ordered DA2, the strat guide actually required a signature of all things, but not the game itself.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
Game arrived at home and I'm stuck at work for 2 and a half more hours.

My wife is playing the game already. She's a big fan of studio Ghibli movies.

Z3M0G

I've been reading good and bad things about this game. I had a few specific questions about whether or not it is a game for me:

I love Studio Ghibli. The movies this studio has produced over the years, ranging from the soul-wrecking Grave of the Fireflies to the mesmerizing world and characters of Spirited away, have always had a special place in my heart.
I'm also a fan of the JRPG genre. Not in their mechanics, but their storytelling, interesting characters and the wonderful worlds so many have built. My love for the genre has decreased immensely because of the complete disaster that is the FF13 series and a noticable dip in quality of Atlus' works. So basically, I love exploring unique magical worlds with lovable characters and an interesting story to tell (CT, FFVI, FFIX et cetera). However, if there is one thing I've grown to dislike over the years, it's having too much grinding. Grinding in itself is nothing more than artificial lengthening and adds nothing to an experience other than a superficial sense of accomplishment and progress. I can still handle them, as I've handled them in P3 and P4, but games that take it too far quickly lose my interest.

So, with this unfortunately limited information, would you guys recommend this game to me? Or is it unfortunately something I should avoid?

It sounds like the perfect game for you, actually... no reviewers ever complained about grinding and the pacing of the game was always mentioned as a glowing point. Plus, it actually sounds like you have more patience / comfort with grinding than most... Plus I bet that grinding to see your familiars level up and evolve will be incredibly addictive in this game.

I think this game will require great "skill" to succeed in combat before great grinding time. But grinding is undoubtedly an option to make things easier, as it should be.

Derrick01

Banned
Just got home with my copy. Dunno if I should start it since I'm in the middle of Persona 4 but in the end I rarely am able to stop myself from playing new games.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
I'm having a hard time deciding between Japanese or English voices. I usually go with the original voices, in this case Japanese, which I understand a little. However, the English dub sounds good to me.

Which language are you guys going with?

Misterhbk

I'm installing the game now and cant wait to get started. I really hope this revitalizes JRPG games in the west. If nothing else I hope it shows Japanese devs that its worth it to localize their games.

game's phenomenal so far, Drippy is genuinely hilarious... some great writing here, and the visuals, as expected, are to die for. Can't wait to play further.

Really? The reason why I asked was because I just read Jim Sterling's review on destructoid and he kept hampering on it being a grind-fest (although he still loves the game). I don't know if I have more patience than most, but it's just that over two decades of countless JRPG's have somewhat made me tired. If it relies more on skill than grinding, I'm sure I'd love it. I love playing tales game on the hardest difficulty while handicapping myself and adore more westernized games such as Dark Souls and Demon's Souls (although both become way too easy too soon if you're good at building your character), so I'm sure I'd love it if this were true. I just no longer know whether that will really be the case.

Your first mistake was reading a Jim Sterling review and assuming it provided anything of value.

I just started playing, but the first thing that really sticks out is how instantly likable Drippy is. When I first saw and read about him I was worried that he was going to fall into the annoying sidekick category. Thankfully that doesn't seem to be the case.

jwk94

Just picked my pre-order up from Gamestop. As he's ringing me up I see that he only has the game out so I asked "Do I get my steelbook as well?" and he said " We actually ran out, we only had like 2 come in". I'm quite annoyed at this point, then he walks over to this cabinet, pulls a steelbook out and goes "Well I guess I could give you one".

Not quite sure how Gamestop is running stuff lately, but that was pretty annoying.

Smh, horrible service. You should rate him on your receipt.

ttocs

Your first mistake was reading a Jim Sterling review and assuming it provided anything of value.

Second this sentiment. If you want sensationalist headlines or pictures and opinions that will stir up controversy for the hell of it, then he's your man.

reminder

I'm having a hard time deciding between Japanese or English voices. I usually go with the original voices, in this case Japanese, which I understand a little. However, the English dub sounds good to me.

I'll play with english voices. I can't stand the often high pitched japanese voices for long and i really loved the english voice actors in the demo, especially Drippys voice.

jwk94

The story just got predictable
LLShC.gif

Picked it up this morning! I didn't get the chance to pre-order, but the GS guy let me have a steelcase anyway. Very cool of him. Will be glued to this after work.

Willectro

Banned
Smh, horrible service. You should rate him on your receipt.

I'm assuming it's not the employee's fault that Gamestop didn't send enough steel books. I wish Gamestop would stop with all the "review your experience" bullshit. Unless one of the employees is rude or something, I'm not going to report them for what is ultimately the corporation's fault. It's a minimum wage job FFS.

ttocs

I always go with English voice actors. I don't get the love for another language when there is an English option. If I spoke Japanese, then I'd have a choice, but for now, I only speak English so that's what I'm going with.

I already played the Japanese version last year, so I went with English voices. They sound great to me.

I'm assuming it's not the employee's fault that Gamestop didn't send enough steel books. I wish Gamestop would stop with all the "review your experience" bullshit. Unless one of the employees is rude or something, I'm not going to report them for what is ultimately the corporation's fault. It's a minimum wage job FFS.

Everyone seems to be doing the "receipt survey" shit lately.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Does anyone know if the NA version of this game has Japanese text/Subtitles? Even if it's not in the menus sometimes setting the PS3 system language to Japanese enables the game to be fully Japanese, both text and voice (For example, Resonance of Fate does this).

Could someone check if this is true for this game? Thanks!

I work at gamestop as a on call sort of thing since the holidays are over because I have a full time job and well yeah there is alot of shit the company suggests you do. Employee's do it cause that's what they get paid to do. Each gamestop ovbious various but the guys at mine are all pretty laid back easy going people.

I had a Ni No Wizard Edion on reserve but since Namco has such great online shops who knows if/when I'll get it. I've got a regurlar copy I picked up just in case.

Top Bottom