• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nick Simmons rips off Bleach, threatens legal action against all who say so

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pein

Banned
J said:
Has anyone actually looked at Incarnate I'm seriously thinking of combing through both mangas at this point.
nick simmons rag isn't manga.

I hope his ass gets sued.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
AstroMan said:
Wait a second guys, I think we all overlooked this one line:

So Nick Simmons is possessed by a poltergeist that forces him to steal other work! It's not his fault after all!

Also, one could say that he channels his energy to go BANKAI!
He seems to be possessed by the guy that did Bleach, so yea, I'll believe it.

Meier

Freezer Rat said:
Odds are it's coincidence, since similarities like that do tend to happen.

Bleach is awful anyways, if anything they should be warning him about that fact.

Edit: All those images they say he copied? You can see ones just like them in hundreds of other anime, Manga, and various cartoon mediums. They're just reaching for a reason to hate on him.
Had to be quoted again because it's so ridiculous. Is this the kid who is on the Dr Pepper ads or a different son?

gdt

Pein said:
Manga is japanese comics. Just because you can make shit look like bleach doesn't make it manga.

Wait...so Manga refers to Japanese comics? Not a style of art?

So if a Japanese artist works in the western comics industry is it still manga?

Jayge

Oh holy fuck, he hasn't just copied from Bleach. Blatant stealing of a page from Deadman Wonderland with Crow... He apparently took Crocodile from One Piece and made him some bug monster... Various crap from Hellsing... He's going to get FUCKED.

I always thought defining manga was one of those 'you know what i'm talking about!' things. Hard to define, but you usually know when you see something whether it's manga or not.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
only manga i've ever read is dragon ball, but if i'd have to choose, i'd rather read those color ones than those bleach ones. looks better.

gdt

Ducarmel said:
I hope he gets blacklisted from ever being published as a comic book artist.

Honestly, this happens alot...though maybe not to this extent :lol .

His attitude certainly isn't helping...

J.ceaz

Monocle said:
Looks like this guys steals from more than Bleach. (NSFW link, animated pr0n on site.)

The art from that manga isn't as egregious as it is with bleach. He could win a court case against that artwork, But the panels he stole from bleach are another thing. If he walks away from this unscathed I will not know what to say and will be utterly dissapointed.

gdt

Green Scar said:
I always thought defining manga was one of those 'you know what i'm talking about!' things. Hard to define, but you usually know when you see something whether it's manga or not.

Yeah, it's kind of a stupid designation.

Manga just seems to be the local name for "comics", I think.

So comics are all comics.

Alucrid

Banned
SnowWolf said:
Manga by definition has to be in Japanese language I believe. Chinese "manga" is called manhua for example.

Oh...so if magna is translated what is it? Or, is translated manga named the same as "manga" created by westerners?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
SnowWolf said:
Manga by definition has to be in Japanese language I believe. Chinese "manga" is called manhua for example.

That of course is gray area as well.. Because there are some non-Japanese comic artist and writers in Japan who don't get to be manga artist despite their work coming from Japan and being in Japanese..

Schmitty

"I will ask Facebook not to press any charges against you if you give me a sincere apology here in this thread. Please do so. Facebook keeps all your IP addresses and info... so they will suspend your account if I do not receive proper apologies."

:lol :lol

How can anyone take this guy seriously?

Raide

There is a clear difference between someone using Anime/Manga character styling and someone using tracing paper to 99% copy an art style and even the overall comic layout.

Most Anime/Manga are going to have certain similarities, since that is what defines Anime/Manga apart from other comics, but straight ripping something is asking for trouble.

Fan Art = Yes

Trying to make your own comic and make loads of cash while coping someone elses work = Get Sued.

Anyone who cannot see that this is a blatant rip is utterly blind. :lol

If the kid is actually drawing the copied images, then he has some talent and should work on some original ideas. He just need to find his own stuff and not rip Bleach. :D

Pein

Banned
gdt5016 said:
Wait...so Manga refers to Japanese comics? Not a style of art?

So if a Japanese artist works in the western comics industry is it still manga?
There is no set art style for manga, just check berserk or gantz.

It would be a comic because it would be made here. I wouldn't tell Jim lee that he makes manwha because he's korean.

gdt

But Berserk is something I consider a "comic" while something like One Piece is a "manga."

It's a meaningless term.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
is there anything except for manga and anime that change names based on the geographical location of their creation? swedish meatballs?

Dram

copyofprv3147pg13.jpg

2m3pl48.png

diunxx

They both look horrible, but did he still story elements or something important like that or are retarded weebos up in arms because characters have the same pose in some panels?

Xater

gdt5016 said:
But Berserk is something I consider a "comic" while something like One Piece is a "manga."

It's a meaningless term.

Berserk is manga. For westerners I think mangas are comics from Japan. And even that is stupid. Manga dosn't mean anything else than comic right?

Kreed

"Okay.. now looking at some of these photo comparisons, I can see why a few people are up-in-arms. I can tell you right now these are all purely coincidences. I never even heard of Bleach! Who would name a comic after laundry detergent? When I channel my energy when drawing my book sometimes I can pull stuff in that I never seen before. It's like i'm possessed when I start thinking and drawing. Perhaps I just got on the same wave length that all artists share. My dad just called and said I have a real case against all this slander. If Facebook doesn't give into my demands soon there's going to be hell to pay. Now, I have to damage control on another site - more people being mislead. Now I have to deal with this and my book's deadline. I'm not sure how I can think and draw under all this pressure."

This whole quote could have been bolded. :lol

Blackace

diunxx said:
They both look the horrible, but did he still story elements or something important like that or are retarded weebos up in arms because characters have the same pose in some panels?

stealing exact layout designs is what got rob liefeld is so much trouble.. so it isn't a weeboo thing at all.

flawfuls

gdt5016 said:

It's a meaningless term.

Well then you would be wrong, both berserk and one piece are manga. A manga is something published in Japan as a manga, its not really something up for debate.

gdt

Xater said:
Berserk is manga. For westerners I think mangas are comics from Japan. And even that is stupid. Manga dosn't mean anything else than comic right?

That's what I'm saying. The term is meaningless.

Edit:

Just means comic books in Japan, I think.

They're comic books.

diunxx said:
They both look the horrible, but did he still story elements or something important like that or are retarded weebos up in arms because characters have the same pose in some panels?

Actually, there's a specific set of panes copy exact lines right from Bleach. There's dozens more panels that aren't posted in the OP that have been scrutinized.

I had heard about this, and really can't believe he's denying something so obvious. He shoulda just stayed quiet rather than embarrass himself.

Wonder what daddy has to say about this.

Also, what is a 'childless accusation'?

Blackace

gdt5016 said:
That's what I'm saying. The term is meaningless.

Japan itself has a very strict take on what is manga and what isn't. So the term is important for some stooges in the government..

Xater

Blackace said:
Japan itself has a very strict take on what is manga and what isn't. So the term is important for some stooges in the government..

Ok now I'm interested. I thought that in Japanese you would also call a western comic manga because that's the term for it. I thought the same about anime.

Fireye

There are some images on the LJ thread (which I've been following for a couple days) that are really stretching. But others... it's very obvious that character designs, poses, and panels have been traced. I hope the publisher recalls the comic, and maybe Nick will get a clue and either stick to the story writing or artwork - because it doesn't seem like he can handle both.

Below: incarnate (left) and deviantart original art (right)
1819compare.jpg

incarnate overlaid on bleach:
orih.jpg

i1b7o3.jpg

karasu

diunxx said:
They both look horrible, but did he still story elements or something important like that or are retarded weebos up in arms because characters have the same pose in some panels?

It's a visual medium, dude. The visuals are important. You aren't above it all. You're just ignorant.

Blackace

Xater said:
Ok now I'm interested. I thought that in Japanese you would also call a western comic manga because that's the term for it. I thought the same about anime.

nope you call it a komikku

DonMigs85

If he just insists it's a parody, maybe he can get away with it.
But man, he sucks as a creative artist if he can't even come up with his own unique character designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom