• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nicolas Cage will star in new Left Behind film

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragun619

Alright, for real tho, What is Nic Cage doing?

This dude is like taking any film project he can take and kinda looks like he's phoning it in all of them, man. Does this dude need another National Treasure or something?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

This dude is like taking any film project he can take and kinda looks like he's phoning it in all of them, man. Does this dude need another National Treasure or something?

Debt, I believe.

belushy

Banned
When I was big into Christian religion about a decade ago, I read the entire series. I enjoyed the books. If you're not Christian religious, I do think you can still enjoy them if you think of them as fantasy. Honestly they are really different enough than anything else that's out there that it can be easy to get into them.

Not sure I'll see this in the theatre, but I'll definitely have to check this movie out. The old movies were pretty cheesy.

I'm not very religious but I enjoyed the first one when I was in High School and read it. I actually really wanted to read the rest of the series, but its like 16 books now, isn't it? I can't even read through Asoiaf's 5 books lol

daveo42

Banned
When I was big into Christian religion about a decade ago, I read the entire series. I enjoyed the books. If you're not Christian religious, I do think you can still enjoy them if you think of them as fantasy. Honestly they are really different enough than anything else that's out there that it can be easy to get into them.

Not sure I'll see this in the theatre, but I'll definitely have to check this movie out. The old movies were pretty cheesy.

I enjoyed it too when I was younger and still somewhat into being a Christian. I can't remember if they were well written or not, but they did keep me pretty interested through the first several books. I think I have a few left that I own but haven't read. I just don't have the will to pull them out anymore.

I'm not very religious but I enjoyed the first one when I was in High School and read it. I actually really wanted to read the rest of the series, but its like 16 books now, isn't it? I can't even read through Asoiaf's 5 books lol

Yeah there are a ton of books in the series. I think I stopped around book 8. They can really do a lot to stretch out 7 years.

Ronin Ray

I told my friend they should come up with Nickflix. Just like netflix but only Nic Cage movies. Then you can start to remake movies with Nic Cage in the lead.
Nic Cage in Titanic.
Nic Cage in Jurassic Park
Nic Cage in roots.
The possibility are endless and mind blowing

Dragun619

Debt, I believe.

Damn, this dude really caged in. smh. Kinda think he could be a decent actor if he we're to pick better films or star in good tv/ HBO series, but those direct to video movies, man.

It almost makes me wanna layoff the Nic cage jokes for a bit.

Blizzard

Banned
So this will be a direct sequel to "The Knowing?"
I saw "Knowing" in a theater. I actually thought it was kind of thought-provoking, though the friend I went with had the immediate reaction of, like, "That movie was TERRIBLE".

It's kind of funny that Nicolas Cage did this movie too. I suppose it's fitting in some sense, and if anyone was going to go for the role, Cage would have.

He supposedly was really good in some movie named Joe that won some awards.

Damn, this dude really caged in. smh. Kinda think he could be a decent actor if he we're to pick better films or star in good tv/ HBO series, but those direct to video movies, man.

It almost makes me wanna layoff the Nic cage jokes for a bit.

Read about WHY he is in debt and you'll start making those jokes again.

It's really just a downward spiral at this point. He start just taking any roll he can, works in lots of crap that bombs and it keeps (I assume) lowering what a studio is willing to pay him. He doesn't have the drawing power is once had and he'll just keep making more terrible movies until he's in Asylum films

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Holy crap I finally watched the clip in the OP link. That first line. Bahahahahaha

I just feel like he's always trying to shove it down my throat

I saw the trilogy during my religion course at uni. They were completely bonkers. Great flicks to watch with friends while drunk though :D

What?
KuGsj.gif

netguy503

So movie impressions guys/how faithful is it too the book? Friends might be dragging me to see this tomorrow afternoon and this wont be stopped if all you keep doing is making fun of Nic Cage.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So movie impressions guys/how faithful is it too the book? Friends might be dragging me to see this tomorrow afternoon and this wont be stopped if all you keep doing is making fun of Nic Cage.

Just based on the trailer I don't think it follows the book that closely at all other than the rapture happening and the main character being a pilot and a reporter. Though, apparently the authors were given a screening back in the spring and liked what they saw, where they were pretty outspoken about their dislike of the old films.

They should have had Cage play The Antichrist, complete with a really bad eastern European accent.

obin_gam

Supposedly
the movie takes place only on the airplane and airport.
Also there is no Anti-Christ character :/

Here's a pretty good review. Depressed Nic cage is sad to see.
http://www.thecinemasnob.com/midnight-screenings/midnight-screenings-left-behind
SPOILERS .....
A muslim guy is left behind because he was "in the wrong side", there's a small guy complaining all thetime about his height, there's a line about Nic saying about his wife cheating him with Jesus, U2, there's a huge editing mistake at the end

Tell your friends to get the Wicked Man, it's a much better experience.

Supposedly
the movie takes place only on the airplane and airport.
Also there is no Anti-Christ character :/

What the hell is the point of referencing the Rapture if you don't bloody go anywhere with it.

What the hell. Why is it AmDad is still the only show to even bother doing the Rapture any justice? (amazing episode by the way. Rapture's Delight and Hot Water are incredible)

You'd think that we'd have at least one big Summer blockbuster about it by now...

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
EftBehind_zpsb619b0b7.jpg

I saw this last night, I took a picture so I could share it with you all.

MrBS

As was a lover of the original movies for how awful they were. Not so much here. This was in the so bad its bad category. The end credits theme was amazing and probably the highlight of the film.

Jesus Christ I just saw the movie and I'm wondering if I'm being trolled. Is this a new Kojima ruse cruise ? Is this an elaborate ARG to unlock the release date of Half Life 3 ?

I can't believe an adult made that movie, I don't even know where to begin. Wasn't there a Simpsons episode with a made up movie that had a similar theme (or maybe it was a parody of the books I don't know) ? It's like someone saw this exagerrated cartoon about how to not make a religious movie and said "awesome mayne, let's greenlight a sixteen fucking million dollar movie just like this".
Not only that but the movie also made Christians look bad. How can you fuck up so bad ? It almost feels like what a fedora tipping hipster believes religious people are like. Also the kind caring muslim guy left behind because nope same god but different scripture and rites lmao.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Jesus Christ I just saw the movie and I'm wondering if I'm being trolled. Is this a new Kojima ruse cruise ? Is this an elaborate ARG to unlock the release date of Half Life 3 ?

I can't believe an adult made that movie, I don't even know where to begin. Wasn't there a Simpsons episode with a made up movie that had a similar theme (or maybe it was a parody of the books I don't know) ? It's like someone saw this exagerrated cartoon about how to not make a religious movie and said "awesome mayne, let's greenlight a sixteen fucking million dollar movie just like this".
Not only that but the movie also made Christians look bad. How can you fuck up so bad ? It almost feels like what a fedora tipping hipster believes religious people are like. Also the kind caring muslim guy left behind because nope same god but different scripture and rites lmao.
Sounds like a completely acurate representation of this brand of Christianity. I used to be an evangelical myself and I've read all the books except the last one "Glorious Appearing". Left Behind was THE movie for evangelicals. In the books though I recall the Muslims being left behind and not joining the antichrist mostly because they were too fucking crazy for Satan. I don't think there was an actual Muslim character, but they were mentioned in passing carrying on their jihad or something when the antichrist had become kingood of the world.

Retro

You got the "good" version with actual actors and watered-down crazy. Check out the original Left Behind movies to really fill your head full of fuck.

Or just enjoy these reviews;
Left Behind (2000)
Left Behind II: Tribulation Force (2002)
Left Behind: World at War (2005)

And his review of 2014's Left Behind for kicks (Spoiler Alert: It stinks)

I didn't even know there was older movie adaptations. They sound horrible. Now that I think back I remember seeing another pseudo-religious movie when I was a kid, maybe it was a direct to dvd or just a tv thing, basically the devil or something arrives on earth and then there's a virus or some shit and the ending is a black (maybe blind, don't remember) that summons the hand of god or something and crushes the devil. Well at least it sounds more interesting than those movies, somebody knows the title ? (hell, maybe it's one of those 3 left behind movies)

Retro

I didn't even know there was older movie adaptations. They sound horrible. Now that I think back I remember seeing another pseudo-religious movie when I was a kid, maybe it was a direct to dvd or just a tv thing, basically the devil or something arrives on earth and then there's a virus or some shit and the ending is a black (maybe blind, don't remember) that summons the hand of god or something and crushes the devil. Well at least it sounds more interesting than those movies, somebody knows the title ? (hell, maybe it's one of those 3 left behind movies)

Reading the scenario you just described out loud actually contains more action than the entirety of the 3 Left Behind movies, so no, it can't possibly be one of them.

I saw this. I also read the books.

This movie is weird because it spends two hours on something that would have been resolved in the first fifteen minutes if they had kept pace with the book. They just tookthe first 10-15% of the book,said "Airplane drama is good, let's run with this" and ignored the rest.

Also yeah it's fairly bad. Nic Cage hams it up pretty good though.

That's Stephen King's "The Stand."

Reading the scenario you just described out loud actually contains more action than the entirety of the 3 Left Behind movies, so no, it can't possibly be one of them.

I'll be sure to never watch those. A morbid curiosity makes me hope there's going to be a sequel to the one starring Nick Cage.

That's Stephen King's "The Stand."

Thanks m8.
Holy shit the movie is 6 hours long. And there's a remake planned too.

According to Wikipedia, they've planned two. /shudder
This is great! That movie was terrible, but I am hoping that Nic Cage and Chad Michael Murray team up again to take on Satan. Seriously, that was the best/worst action movie team up in a long time. I even went to a theatre to see this! They totally left the end open for a sequel!

ItIsOkBro

as bad as this movie is, i think the concept is pretty interesting. the kind of catastrophe that would ensue if a bunch of people suddenly disappeared, and seeing how humanity would deal with the aftermath would make a pretty great apocalyptic movie. however, it would need a waaaay bigger CGI budget and better actors (minus nic cage) than present here. also, i think we'd have to scrap the religious aspect so we can focus on the tragedy and survival.

Manus

as bad as this movie is, i think the concept is pretty interesting. the kind of catastrophe that would ensue if a bunch of people suddenly disappeared, and seeing how humanity would deal with the aftermath would make a pretty great apocalyptic movie. however, it would need a waaaay bigger CGI budget and better actors (minus nic cage) than present here. also, i think we'd have to scrap the religious aspect so we can focus on the tragedy and survival.

Check out the show The Leftovers on HBO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom