• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Just did the boss fight in the desert on route C with
A2.
Is it me or is
Berserk Mode useless? It drains health insanely fast, in such a hectic fight all it did was getting me killed.

Load yourself up with chips that heal when you deal damage and kill enemies and become the most deadly indestructible thing in the game with the highest damage output.

Just started Route B,
is there any story reason to leave the voice change setting turned on? I had it turned up for awhile but it just got to be annoying. (If there is a good reason, no spoilers please.)

Golnei

Gonna burn through a lot of healing items but it's not like I'm short on cash anyway.

Don't forget that the regenerating health chips, and Offensive / Deadly Heal don't use up consumables.

Just started Route B,
is there any story reason to leave the voice change setting turned on? I had it turned up for awhile but it just got to be annoying. (If there is a good reason, no spoilers please.)

There is absolutely no reason to use the setting at all outside of being curious as to how it sounds.

Grisby

Defeated Route A. Did not even really realize I was at the end of it, lol.

B seems ok, although I don't like the fact that
9S only seems to get one weapon slot
and I have do this
wandering couple quest again.

This time should go a lot faster I reckon.

Question though, will I ever get to
play as 2B again? Also what were, are, these little flowers that I sometimes find? I assume they're for a quest but I don't know which one or how to start it.

LotusHD

Banned
Defeated Route A. Did not even really realize I was at the end of it, lol.

B seems ok, although I don't like the fact that
9S only seems to get one weapon slot
and I have do this
wandering couple quest again.

This time should go a lot faster I reckon.

Question though, will I ever get to
play as 2B again? Also what were, are, these little flowers that I sometimes find? I assume they're for a quest but I don't know which one or how to start it.

You will be able to play as 2B again. The flowers are for Emil's sidequest.
Go find him (in the commercial facility I believe) after you meet him for the first time there.
Like I think you can do it after beating A2 in the Forest Kingdom.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm a half an hour in, fighting the two big razor scoopers on the bridge, and I already feel like I'm...playing wrong? Am I supposed to be able to attack them with my swords at all, or should I only be shooting them?

Also wait what the fuck I died there and now I need to play the entire intro over again?

LotusHD

Banned
I'm a half an hour in, fighting the two big razor scoopers on the bridge, and I already feel like I'm...playing wrong? Am I supposed to be able to attack them with my swords at all, or should I only be shooting them?

You do both, like when they attack you and they're closer to the ground, you attack with your sword. If not, then shoot it with your gun (Though you should always be shooting with your gun.)

EDIT: Lmao, uhh, yes, sorry about that. I advise just putting it on Easy and get it through super quickly, then put it back on Normal/Hard. You can save normally after getting through that section.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
You do both, like when they attack you and they're closer to the ground, you attack with your sword. If not, then shoot it with your gun (Though you should always be shooting with your gun.)

See I'm trying that but the range on my swords is so short that if I'm close enough to hit them, they just hit me instead

Also wait what the fuck I died there and now I need to play the entire intro over again?
You have to hit them while they're recovering from an attack. It's a small window, but combined with pod fire and your laser, it shouldn't be too rough.

Kvik

My kingdom for skill slots.

After a 4 hour session with the game yesterday, I got Pascal's village song stuck in my head now.

Just got to the first village. Gameplay is superb, though the game isnt a looker thats for sure.

Does the entire story change in other playthroughs or only the endings?

LotusHD

Banned
Just got to the first village. Gameplay is superb, though the game isnt a looker thats for sure.

Does the entire story change in other playthroughs or only the endings?

Route B you'll do the same thing from a different perspective, along with a fair bit of new content and exclusive sidequests. Route C and onwards is completely new.

jett

D-Member
Man Route C is prettay, prettay good.

This time I made sure I had finished all my active sidequests before finishing Route B. :p (except for the one where you pick up shit for Pascal) Currently at 82% there.

LotusHD

Banned

This time I made sure I had finished all my active sidequests before finishing Route B. :p (except for the one where you pick up shit for Pascal) Currently at 82% there.

How far in are ya :p

Ruff

If it's the one I'm thinking of, you can finish that instantly by picking up an item from a chest inside the building with the tree roots leading into it.

Got the Meaningless [C]ode ending. How are the D and E playthoughs? I'm assuming you just make different choices at the end? What is the "true" end path?

Honestly not sure I can sympathize with 9S once he starts to loose it.

LotusHD

Banned
Got the Meaningless [C]ode ending. How are the D and E playthoughs? I'm assuming you just make different choices at the end? What is the "true" end path?

Honestly not sure I can sympathize with 9S once he starts to loose it.

You're not really supposed to. Well maybe a little, but I saw it more as a "Wow, watch this initally nice character descend into madness" But yes, use Chapter Select and pick 9S to fight as for Ending D. Route E is different though, it'll progress naturally after Ending D.

Ruff

Not far.
B2 bye bye.

It's the one where you pick up old stuff. I'm not sure what building you mean though.

It's sort of in the middle of the ruins by the big hole. Tallish building you can climb the big tree roots to enter and the item is inside a chest one of the floors.

I had no idea they would give you give you the ability to get to very specific parts of chapters. Ended up going for [D] and [E]. Such and phenomenal experience. The game was hands down better than most I've played this entire generation.

Grisby

You will be able to play as 2B again. The flowers are for Emil's sidequest.
Go find him (in the commercial facility I believe) after you meet him for the first time there.
Like I think you can do it after beating A2 in the Forest Kingdom.
Cool. Thanks Lotus, you've been a big help.
No, he's shown alive in Nier 1 as a rolling head in the desert.
Ah. Yeah, I actually never went for the extra endings. Was going to go back and never did. Trying to remedy that with Automata though.

LotusHD

Banned
I had no idea they would give you give you the ability to get to very specific parts of chapters. Ended up going for [D] and [E]. Such and phenomenal experience. The game was hands down better than most I've played this entire generation.

Come thru to the spoiler thread lol

Is there a good way to level up? Any opinions on essential plugins?

Just do sidequests, kill everything, use an EXP chip or two. I wouldn't suggest purposely overleveling though. It's very easy to get to a point where the game lacks challenge due to you being too strong.

Essential plug-ins, Shockwave +2/3, Overclock, Auto-Heal (Heals you when you don't get hurt), Offensive or Deadly Heal

Basically the best ones, everything else is pretty self-explanatory. You might want to consider trying a more defensive build and playing on Hard if you feel you've reached a point where the game is too easy. Just a thought.

EdmondD

So I've been playing on and off a few weeks. I've gotten endings A and tonight I got ending B... now onward. It's been amazing.

Yes, two more recruits to the Cult of the Taro.

So, I started on Route C yesterday and realised I accidentally went through all of Route B without Pod Programs. Didn't realise they were auto-unequipped at the start and figured 9S just couldn't use them because he's not a combat model.

It was only when I went to use them again in Route C that I realised my mistake.

Well crap. I did exactly the same thing. Honestly I did all of B with about 90% hacking anyways. It wasn't that hard.

AniHawk

at route c and i think i'm left wondering how anyone could enjoy this part of the game. what in the hell is going on
during the infected scene? fucking frustrating

AniHawk

is yoko taro making a statement about how he doesn't think video games should let you do the thing it tells you to do or something.

LotusHD

Banned
at route c and i think i'm left wondering how anyone could enjoy this part of the game. what in the hell is going on
during the infected scene? fucking frustrating

I mean, that's clearly not supposed to be an enjoyable part lol

Just dash for your life whenever the game lets you, and it's not hard to stay on track either.

AniHawk

I mean, that's clearly not supposed to be an enjoyable part lol

Just dash for your life whenever the game lets you, and it's not hard to stay on track either.

yes it is. i just got punched into the area where you head into the tunnel that takes you to the copied city because i was staggering around, got punched the first time, and then took too long to get up. this is shit game design. i'm really hoping there's some payoff to this bullshit because it's super unfun garbage.

AniHawk

you know, this game hasn't been anything super great to begin with - the story hasn't paid off in a meaningful way and the gameplay is bayonetta-lite (which means it's still good at least), but i was expecting a bit more at this stage. now the start of route c is pretty great and feels like the sequel to nier automata - so i am feeling like things are about to get good but nope. starting my 7th load to the starting part after the credits because it's actually terrible.

LotusHD

Banned
yes it is. i just got punched into the area where you head into the tunnel that takes you to the copied city because i was staggering around, got punched the first time, and then took too long to get up. this is shit game design. i'm really hoping there's some payoff to this bullshit because it's super unfun garbage.

Well I just dunno what to tell you, I did it in one try :p

Golnei

Well I just dunno what to tell you, I did it in one try :p

I completed it on the first attempt, then
got Questionable Actions
immediately afterwards - following which, random bad luck caused me to run through the sequence another six times.

LotusHD

Banned
I completed it on the first attempt, then
got Questionable Actions
immediately afterwards - following which, random bad luck caused me to run through the sequence another six times.

If ya end up doing anything 7 times in a game, you'd naturally be pissed I suppose...

If it's in service to the story, I don't generally mind a quick frustration that doesn't overstay its welcome, which this section basically was for me. But yea, I can see why managing to die here (multiple times) would easily break the immersion and leave you annoyed.

Dying that many times is still pretty funny to me though lol

I'm going to end up being the one person who takes longer on Route B than Route A.

The biggest reason is that I left a ton of sidequests unfinished because I didn't figure out their solutions. But also, I find myself
hacking
all the enemies that I didn't bother to fight on Route A just because it's more efficient. And because I'm pretty sure this has a much higher drop rate for chips.

And is it weird to just like
hacking
more than combat?

I'm now trying to build a collection of high-tier diamond chips, because it feels like there's basically no risk of dying on this route. (Well, maybe when I revisit that second animal care quest...)

Top Bottom